Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Steal little things frequently:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/books/the-stranger-in-the-woods-for-27-years-maines-north-pond-hermit.html

Go wildernessing with an old IBM laptop computer. When things get cold and wet, shave some magnesium off the case and make a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Rime posted:

The series really lead me to question whether modern agricultural diets have had long enough to alter humans such that switching back to hunter-gatherer mode is simply no longer possible for our metabolisms, at least in the relative my short timespans portrayed in series's such as Alone.

Refined carbs are a hell of a drug, basically.

I very much enjoyed their standalone experiment on eating Lilly root. That was great.

I don't think we're altered yet, but holy poo poo are we taught to be soft from the beginning.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Not bushcraft, but close to prepping: I wrote an html file which uses Openlayers together with about 20 GB (growing) of tiles downloaded by a Python script for totally offline map browsing. I got NAIP and USFS of the PNW so far, basically everything reachable by two tanks of Diesel. Even with an internet connection I just use this now, because it's extremely fast and directions just annoy me anyway. Good stuff!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

bringer posted:

If you're Canadian there's a free app called Topo Maps Canada that lets you download whatever areas you're interested in. Even has trails on it.

Yeah, there are many apps like that, but I A) don't use a smartphone, really B) plan to eventually horde at least 100GB of imagery.

Caltopo is awesome! I love the new MapBuilder layer.

• Locked thread