Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

It is actually annoying how there's this exoticism of Native people being so magically in tune with the planet to the point they're essentially viewed as these mystical demigods that have secret knowledge of the planet that the White Man just needs coaching in order to tap into as well. I know a lot of non-Native people who almost obsess over the beautiful and mystical Native people to the point of idolatry and honestly it's kind of creepy. My great-aunt will sometimes share posts from a Facebook page called "I love Native People" and it's pretty hosed up because it's seriously objectifying and putting these people on this pedestal of, as said so many times, mystical creatures rather than human beings.

So you have absolutely no problem anthropomorphizing wild animals to the point of absurdly concerning yourself over whether or not a genuinely dangerous grizzly gets shot, but people assigning a mystical connection with nature to natives is creepy idolatry and nature is actually a cold uncaring beast. 100% logical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread