Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Joe Robinet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?josephallen19

He was the contestant on Alone that lost his loving firesteel the first season and tapped out. Hes been making a ton of videos recently, and really entertaining. High quality videos, but really interesting to see his approach. Recently, hes been shilling for TheHiddenWoodsman outdoor gear, and it actually worked! I bought the Haversack and haven't had a chance ot try it out yet.

I had no idea this forum existed. I'll use it a lot more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Rime posted:

Two dudes from Ontario don't succeed at casting for Alone, repeatedly, and finally decide to head into the woods for a few weeks and film their own series to demonstrate that "living off the land" as hunter/gatherers long term is functionally impossible for modern humans (at least in the west) and no better than fasting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCuoSzo6nnDLKOiZ_rXHE6Gw

I won't spoil how it pans out, it's very well done and really shits via science on the hardcore bushcraft crowd. Also has some other great videos such as attempting to eat lilly root.

Link not working?

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Epitope posted:

Checked out the wooded beardsmen some. They're alright, but science is a bit soft. I'd say it's more of a canadian, rather than scientific, take on jerking off in the woods.

Just to play their game (and I didn't watch enough to know if they covered this): The idea of having to fully sustain yourself, not just last until you get back to taco bell, is cool. But presumably whichever paleo people you're trying to eat like didn't have 400 horsepower turbo vet bodies, like today's jerk off in the woods crowd tends to build theirs into.

Yeah I've been watching his videos too and its really interesting the concept of "starvivor" where its true as gently caress, battle of the fattest wins. I'm really surprised the 2 woman lasted so long on the last season of Alone. Now there is a major trend of the "fat ones win", I'm curious how some people's approaches to these contests are going to shape out. Come in 200lbs heavier than your natural weight and then get the excess skin cut off after you win the $500k competition. Only issue would be that if you lost and now you have a debilitating eating disorder.

Going back to the bearded guys, it almost seems to me that they need to find some sort of spice or process to give their food more flavor. I know its giving them sustenance, but they are struggling eating Pike all the time.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Anyone gently caress with seed banks? Recommendations on some?

• Locked thread