Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rime posted:

The series really lead me to question whether modern agricultural diets have had long enough to alter humans such that switching back to hunter-gatherer mode is simply no longer possible for our metabolisms, at least in the relative my short timespans portrayed in series's such as Alone.

Refined carbs are a hell of a drug, basically.

I very much enjoyed their standalone experiment on eating Lilly root. That was great.

I don't think the problem is that modern metabolisms have changed to make living in the wilderness impossible, I think the problem is they tried to eat berries and tiny fish all day and somehow not starve.

I mean, a single mature deer could have provided them both with >3000 calories per day for at least a week or so. Actual hunter gatherers in North America relied heavily on hunting large and large and/or fat animals (buffalo, seal, whales), fat fish (salmon), or in some cases energy dense nuts/seeds (pine nuts, acorns), and these served as staple foods. These jokers are fooling around all day harvesting plants and berries and small fish and started this whole endeavor with bodies that had been supported for years with cheeseburgers and refined grains. I mean these guys probably spent their adult lives eating like >200 lbs of meat a year and now they are on the wild berry and dinky low-fat fish diet. Of course they are going to lose weight.

I don't mean to suggest that their basic thesis--living off the land is very hard for modern people--is wrong. But I think if you actually wanted to give yourself a reasonable shot you would have to focus on a strategy where you could reasonably harvest high energy foods and they did the opposite of that.

I think part of the problem is the misconception that our hunter gatherer ancestors just dicked around wherever eating whatever was around them in the forest and somehow thrived. Whereas actual hunter gatherer societies tended to be very efficiently specialized around a few critical high energy food sources specific to their region. And even then the land only supported very low population densities clustered around areas with abundant food. Many of them were extremely skilled hunters who had to reliably take many large game animals every year to provide enough food. If you took one of those people and just dumped them alone by some random lake to eat whatever fish happened to be there they would probably starve too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I use caltopo.net for everything in the US and it's pretty great. I think it includes data for Canada too but I've never tried.

Some of the features like custom slope angle / DEM shading are really useful for both pre-trip planning and routefinding once you are there. Being able to layer MODIS satellite and weather data on top of the map while planning is also cool. The MODIS overlay in particular is one of the best ways I've found to easily see if an area will be affected by smoke from wildfires. You can generate printable maps, or digital files that work with most GPS units or apps. I particularly like that last bit because I can generate a custom map for the trip I'm taking, and have the map on my GPS match exactly the paper maps I'm carrying, including any custom layers.

I really can't emphasize enough how much I love slope angle shading for both planning and navigating cross country. For example, instead of having to squint at the spacing between lines, I can instantly see if there is a contiguous route < 35 degrees steep down a particular slope.

On the down side these features have totally spoiled me and I end up grumbling whenever I am outside the US.

• Locked thread