Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The NBA playoffs are considered one of the premiere playoffs in all of professional sports. As long as the team you cheer for is still competing, there's still a chance that they will have some say in who ultimately wins the NBA championship.

This thread is not for those teams. This is the thread for teams that have been eliminated from the playoffs and are now booking their flights to Cancun, Nova Scotia, Belize, Key West, Panama, Bermuda or one of the many other great fishing spots across the world to begin the time honored tradition of having "gone fishin'" after the burden of their NBA season has been lain down.

I'll post the video of him explaining it if I ever find it, but as the legend goes, during a Houston Rockets playoff run, there was a close game and in the team huddle, Kenny said "let's send them fishin'" regarding his opponents and since then that has been synonymous with being eliminated from the playoffs.

Check Out This Web 1.0 Website I Found While Looking for the story of "Gone Fishin'"

A Story About the Person Who Does the Photoshops

Teams Fishin'
[Pics of this year's teams Fishin' will be posted as they come in]

Miami Heat
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Charlotte Hornets
New Orleans Pelicans
Dallas Mavericks
New York Knicks

Minnesota Timberwolves
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia 76ers
Los Angeles Lakers

Phoenix Suns
Brooklyn Nets
Sacramento Kings

---

In this thread you can talk about the news surrounding your eliminated team that will likely get glossed over in the main thread as the fans of still active teams revel in the hedonism of their competitiveness. Mundane things like exit interviews, GM fires, assistant GM hires and lame owner drama are all welcome here.

Or, you can talk about fishing. Ocean fishing, lake fishing, ice fishing, pier fishing, whatever. I know very little about fishing and it seems relaxing and I bet I would like it. You can also post pictures of yourself fishing, if you'd like (but it's the internet so maybe someone will say something rude).

Fans of all no-longer-contending teams are welcome, and in the end all but one fan base will be here.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Fire Alex Martins.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Bold prediction: The Suns will let Alex Len walk and give Alan Williams a new contract

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

you forgot the sacramento kings, which I mean, I don't blame you for as a Kings fan.

Buddy gonna get up next season

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ben Simmons is 100% healthy and participating fully in practice

Oh it's April 13th.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Obviously I wished the Pelicans could have gone to the playoffs, but with them getting Boogie I am pretty pumped for next year. There are some big questions though such as if they will keep Demps and Gentry along with what will they pay Jrue Holiday if they keep him. I think with the trade and the team getting better, both of them will be back. I just don't know what the right price is for Jrue, I would be ok with 14-16 million a year but anything more than that I would not be thrilled with.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jrue will be minimum like 4/90

IMHO.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

euphronius posted:

Jrue will be minimum like 4/90

IMHO.

I am fully expecting that, the stats just don't show him worth that especially with AD/Boogie at the same time which is what will happen in crunch time. But on the flip side, if you let him walk, then you're finding 2 starters and not just one which makes me believe they will pay whatever it takes to keep him.

They also are going to have to figure out the backup bigs. Cunningham should decline his player option as he should get more than 3.1 million. Montejunas was bad but also came in late and is a free agent. I've read Ajinca isn't happy and wants to go somewhere to play but is under contract though, I say good riddance though as it is hard to watch him "play" basketball. Asik is owed a bunch of money still and wasn't playing already but then got sick in Mexico and lost a bunch of weight. There was talk beforehand of them stretch waiving him just to lessen the cap hit. Diallo is raw and needs to put some weight on him but is good enough for a rookie.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Heat have a big decision to make on whether they want to pay James Johnson a lot of money

I'm not sure how much Dion will get offered by other teams, it would be nice to have him back at a home town discount

I really want Wayne Ellington back and the Heat have a 6.3 million team option for him

Willie Reed is going to make a lot of money this offseason probably on another team

One day Bosh's contract will be off the books. Maybe that happens this offseason?

welp thats my Miami Heat update

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Big Dumb Timberwolf opinions:

I didn't get to watch as much of them as I have in the past, but I probably got to see about a third of their games or so.

By record they improved by 2 games, but if you dig into the numbers, there's some real improvements going on. Their SRS went from 24th in the league, to the 18th. Their expected W-L was 38-44. Now the point of playing is to get Wins, but I think Thibs was trying to build things during the season that hurt their record.

KAT got better. Wiggins treaded water, but I think he is playing smarter. LaVine got better then got hurt. Rubio started off the season awful but ended it really strong. Dieng's defense got better and he signed a very nice contract.

I have no idea what happens with Shabazz. He's a really effective offensive sparkplug who plays awful defense and has no real position. He could land somewhere for the minimum, or someone could give him a 4/35 contract. I have no idea. I'd like the Wolves to offer him the QO, and then either have him for 1 more season or try to sign him to a 3/18 or something.

Dunn is a weird player and I don't think he'll be an NBA-Starter-Level guy. Too many holes in his game.

Bjelica is a poor man's Mirotic and he'll be 29 next year. Rotation guy.

Tyus Jones is underrated.

For needs, they need a SF who can shoot and defend, and a real PF (ideally who has some range). I wouldn't mind slotting someone else as the starting SF, putting Wiggins as SG, and bringing LaVine in the split time with the 2nd unit. They should also stop trying to trade Rubio.

Really, keep Ricky.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lakers opinions

Man, this is a weird team. They have a ton of guys with a ton of skills, but none of them are consistent.
  • Randle sometimes looks like star, ungaurdable on offense and capable of defending elite wings; but he also seems to spend a lot of time checked out and makes dumb plays or fails to rotate. He got a lot better at those things this season, and he is making less dumb plays and has been finishing around the rim better. His midrange jumper was better, but still not really good enough to force opponents to respect it.

• Russell certainly was improved this year, but he still was prone to dumb plays and bad shots. The current offense certainly suits him better than last year, but didn't have the right kind of guys around him to take advantage of it. I think he played much better with a shooter like Nick Young next to him, and when Nick got lost in the shuffle when they started tanking fully, I think it hurt Russell out there. His 3pt shooting would probably be a lot better if he just stopped shooting those dumbass pullup threes that he loves (to miss). I think he has certainly shown off that he can get to rim if he gets a half decent screen, which was an open question coming into this season

• Clarkson is one of the older guys in the young core and didn't really develop much this season. He is a good scorer and can run the show at times, but he is still a major defensive liability and isn't good enough at scoring to ignore it completely. He just really needs to find a niche to excel at

• Ingram had an awful start to the year, but he got better as the season went along and his post-ASB numbers are very respectable. He needs to put on some muscle this offseason to help him in the paint (though he has got much better at finishing as the season went on), and he also needs to improve his 3pt shot. Also, his FTs, man, how the hell did he shoot so badly from the line?

• Larry Nance is good player who needs to stay healthy. He is kind of a weird dude in that he is good at so many things, and just needs the oppurtunities to get set-up for them. Its weird that he has a very similar skillset to Randle in many ways, but his style of play is completely different. He is the kind of dude that the Spurs would turn into a star, and hopefully Luke can get the most out of him. You know, assuming he stays healthy

• Zubac is cool and good, but he has a lot to learn on defense. He has a lot of good physical tools, and if he can learn how to handle the P&R better, he'll be a good starter. As it is, he should hopefully get major minutes off the bench next year, but I wouldn't be shocked if he starts

I'm not gonna really discuss the other guys since they're not really important to the team's future, but I do want to shout out to Nick Young for having a great come back season

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Rick posted:

The NBA playoffs are considered one of the premiere playoffs in all of professional sports. As long as the team you cheer for is still competing, there's still a chance that they will have some say in who ultimately wins the NBA championship.

Yeah, I guess in the sense that your team might have Patrick Beverly or Kelly Olynyk and he might injure an actual contender's star player. Otherwise the NBA playoffs are relatively predictable.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lockback posted:

They should also stop trying to trade Rubio.

Really, keep Ricky.

For real. I feel like pretty much all of the fanbase loves this guy, too. I want him to retire a Timberwolf. (A Timberwolf with three rings.)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sixers wrap-up

Draft a guard
Poach the Suns doctors

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Glumslinger posted:

[*]Ingram had an awful start to the year, but he got better as the season went along and his post-ASB numbers are very respectable. He needs to put on some muscle this offseason to help him in the paint (though he has got much better at finishing as the season went on), and he also needs to improve his 3pt shot. Also, his FTs, man, how the hell did he shoot so badly from the line?

Anyone trying to grade Ingram on just one season is really doing a disservice. When he was drafted he was a guy that was going to take a couple years to fill out and build the right NBA skills. The fact that he got better as the year went on is encouraging. I don't think anyone will know anything about him until the end of next season.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

Anyone trying to grade Ingram on just one season is really doing a disservice. When he was drafted he was a guy that was going to take a couple years to fill out and build the right NBA skills. The fact that he got better as the year went on is encouraging. I don't think anyone will know anything about him until the end of next season.

Yeah, I agree that he had a pretty good rookie year for where he was. He had very noticeable improvement and really started to use his length smartly as the season went on

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

big boi posted:

Yeah, I guess in the sense that your team might have Patrick Beverly or Kelly Olynyk and he might injure an actual contender's star player. Otherwise the NBA playoffs are relatively predictable.

Man you say that but as someone who has run several playoff prediction contests and played in other ones, they aren't as predictable as people think.

(Also, really I was just trying to set up "these are not those teams.")

TheShazbot posted:

you forgot the sacramento kings, which I mean, I don't blame you for as a Kings fan.

Buddy gonna get up next season

Whoops.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Henry Ellenson may not be horrible, Reggie Bulluck shot the lights out in the small sample of the last week, and the entire Pistons roster is still really poorly assembled.

Stanley Johnson is going to be a great sixth man for the Spurs some day.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So one thing I like about the Heat, they always have fun cap things going on year after year.

Not accounting for Freon Dion, they have somewhere in the $38 million range next year, enough for a max contract but probably not a ton else. Or they could re-sign Dion for, let's say, 12 million and have another for a mini-max level contract.

What does Miami try to do? Lure Hayward? Swing for Blake Griffin? Blow it all on Derrick Rose?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pelicans survive by going fishing, so really, this is their natural and healthy state.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

Lockback posted:

Really, keep Ricky.

This is something I am 100% in agreement with. The guy is a lot of fun

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sixers wrap-up

Draft a guard
Poach the Suns doctors

Trade Okafor at the draft

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

rabidsquid posted:

Henry Ellenson may not be horrible, Reggie Bulluck shot the lights out in the small sample of the last week, and the entire Pistons roster is still really poorly assembled.

Stanley Johnson is going to be a great sixth man for the Spurs some day.

Reggie Bullock disappears the second he makes it to the opposing team's scouting report

Johnson, haircut

They're stuck. If they want to blow things up they'd have to hope to start off welll next season to get value for players. Jackson's knees might be permanently wrecked and Ish Smith is not an NBA starter.

The only real offseason decisions are the draft picks and KCP's offer sheet. If Kent Bazemore gets the max, then Pope gets the max

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm still realll god damned annoyed about Maurice god damned N'Dour, a borderline d-leaguer with a career eFG of .465, who had hit 0 threes in his NBA career, hitting a step-back game-winning three to drop the Knicks out of the lottery back onto the perpetual mediocrity treadmill but I might post about them later

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

I'm still realll god damned annoyed about Maurice god damned N'Dour, a borderline d-leaguer with a career eFG of .465, who had hit 0 threes in his NBA career, hitting a step-back game-winning three to drop the Knicks out of the lottery back onto the perpetual mediocrity treadmill but I might post about them later

Phil just straight up said Carmelo is probably not going to be with the team next year. It's going to be an interesting offseason in NYC.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Vorkunov/status/852954591700410369

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 14, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

About a half mile from the Blazers stadium is the Kevin Duckworth memorial dock, so they can always go fishing pretty easily!

(Kevin Duckworth made the playoffs for all of his seasons as a Trailblazer)

The stadium, and the docks, are located right next to a dock used to load wheat (which I believe is owned by Julia Louis Dreyfuss), and they spill lots and lots of wheat in the Willamette, leading to easy meals for bottom dwelling sturgeon.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Phil just straight up said Carmelo is probably not going to be with the team next year. It's going to be an interesting offseason in NYC.

How many teams

a) want to trade for Carmelo at his salary

b) have the assets to do it

c) convince the Digital Athlete to waive his NTC

d) is actually a good idea to do the above

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Wolves going fishing:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

About a half mile from the Blazers stadium is the Kevin Duckworth memorial dock, so they can always go fishing pretty easily!

(Kevin Duckworth made the playoffs for all of his seasons as a Trailblazer)

The stadium, and the docks, are located right next to a dock used to load wheat (which I believe is owned by Julia Louis Dreyfuss), and they spill lots and lots of wheat in the Willamette, leading to easy meals for bottom dwelling sturgeon.

Julia Louis Dreyfus owning a wheat factory is really funny to me for some reason.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Julia Louis Dreyfus owning a wheat factory is really funny to me for some reason.

Can you explain to me how you think wheat is assembled?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Rick posted:

What better place than the Gone Fishing thread to talk about this?

This picture shows the Rose Garden (aka Moda Center or whatever else its been branded as recently) and the older Memorial Coliseum, as well as other buildings in the complex. The docks with the ship next to it is the Louis-Dreyfuss grain elevator (William Louis-Dreyfuss died two months ago, so Julia and her sisters are now the majority stock owners). Next to that is the Steel Bridge, and right below that would be the Duckworth Memorial dock.

For all its reputation as a city whose twin industries are craft beer and handmade jewelry, Portland is still a port town, and the Blazers play in an area that still has a lot of industrial characteristics.

Rick posted:

Julia Louis Dreyfus' company owns food processing facilities and transportation facilities in six continents.

http://www.ldcom.com/global/en/about-us/locations1/

Kevin Duckworth owned a restaurant too. In some alternative world, after a defeat, Kevin Duckworth went walking down by the waterfront, and ran into Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and they decided to combine their food service interests into a global restaurant chain.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 15, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Can you explain to me how you think wheat is assembled?

They mix a bunch of gluten and flour? :downs:

(I totally meant like, a processing plant, or a mill!)

glowing-fish posted:

What better place than the Gone Fishing thread to talk about this?

This picture shows the Rose Garden (aka Moda Center or whatever else its been branded as recently) and the older Memorial Coliseum, as well as other buildings in the complex. The docks with the ship next to it is the Louis-Dreyfuss grain elevator (William Louis-Dreyfuss died two months ago, so Julia and her sisters are now the majority stock owners). Next to that is the Steel Bridge, and right below that would be the Duckworth Memorial dock.

For all its reputation as a city whose twin industries are craft beer and handmade jewelry, Portland is still a port town, and the Blazers play in an area that still has a lot of industrial characteristics.

Julia Louis Dreyfus' company owns food processing facilities and transportation facilities in six continents.

http://www.ldcom.com/global/en/about-us/locations1/

Kevin Duckworth owned a restaurant too. In some alternative world, after a defeat, Kevin Duckworth went walking down by the waterfront, and ran into Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and they decided to combine their food service interests into a global restaurant chain.

I guess this shouldn't blow my mind since somewhere along the line someone mentioned to me that she was independently wealthy without Seinfeld Money, but it totally does. Oh wow, is the Oh Henry! subplot one of these Seinfeld subplots that ends up being slightly based in reality? Did a young Julia Louise-Dryfus grow up envying a braless candy heir she knew in her real life and pitch this subplot?

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 15, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Good. The dude's a joke, his game is bad and he hasn't looked like he's enjoyed playing for the Knicks in years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

Good. The dude's a joke, his game is bad and he hasn't looked like he's enjoyed playing for the Knicks in years.

"Sheriff Carmelo come quickly! There is a fight down at the saloon!"

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Lockback posted:

So one thing I like about the Heat, they always have fun cap things going on year after year.

Not accounting for Freon Dion, they have somewhere in the $38 million range next year, enough for a max contract but probably not a ton else. Or they could re-sign Dion for, let's say, 12 million and have another for a mini-max level contract.

What does Miami try to do? Lure Hayward? Swing for Blake Griffin? Blow it all on Derrick Rose?

Lure Hayward, and if that doesn't work, trade for Melo.

I think they sign Dion over Johnson because Dion is younger and will be cheaper. Johnson will get like 20 mill a year on the open market.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Melo will be reinvigorated when he joins the Lakers next year until it's December and they lose 10 in a row and Byron Scott is named coach.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Buzz City Beat: Charlotte Hornets’ Stuck in Mediocrity, Limited Options This Offseason

MMmmmmm this is the poo poo I love to see right at the start of our offseason

:smith:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

boxcarhobo posted:

Buzz City Beat: Charlotte Hornets’ Stuck in Mediocrity, Limited Options This Offseason

MMmmmmm this is the poo poo I love to see right at the start of our offseason

:smith:

Charlotte is in the same place as Detroit with a core locked into mediocrity. Maybe they should roll some dice and swap random players

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I can't wait for the Mavs to make the playoffs next season with the help of draft pick, mid tier free agent, Dirk having a healthy season, continued development of Yogi, Noel, Barnes, Curry, Finney-Smith, and Brussino. It wouldn't shock me if Powell and Matthews are traded late next season to create room to resign Curry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Charlotte is in the same place as Detroit with a core locked into mediocrity. Maybe they should roll some dice and swap random players

Yeah I'm pretty much down with getting rid of anyone that isn't Kemba, but I don't know why anyone good at basketball would want to come to this lame state and have MJ as their boss.

• Locked thread