Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/853971414818455553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

boxcarhobo posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much down with getting rid of anyone that isn't Kemba, but I don't know why anyone good at basketball would want to come to this lame state and have MJ as their boss.

'Do you think MKG coming back messed up the nice flowing offense they had without him? They might be smart just to trade him because they're basically stuck with the rest of the team, and I don't think he's ever going to be more than a small 4 who hustles like crazy, plays defense, rebounds, and sometimes makes shots.

I'd be overjoyed if Ntilikina falls to the pistons at 12, and if not then I hope they draft edmond sumner as a developmental prospect. Reggie Jackson is too loving young to get PRP injected into his knees, and this was not a team that was trying to tank, he was just hosed up, and the lack of shot creation cascaded, culminating in Andre Drummond playing like a baby boy. He really needs to hang out with Deandre Jordan and completely reorient his game.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

This rules, gently caress

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Probably more appropriate in this thread.

https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/854069561691439106

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Does this mean we can all stop pretending La La is still a celebrity?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Does this mean we can all stop pretending La La is still a celebrity?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I mean she's not an international celebrity but you would know who she is if you were in New York or LA.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i've got a google alert set up that will text me when derrick rose is back

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dejan Bimble posted:

'Do you think MKG coming back messed up the nice flowing offense they had without him? They might be smart just to trade him because they're basically stuck with the rest of the team, and I don't think he's ever going to be more than a small 4 who hustles like crazy, plays defense, rebounds, and sometimes makes shots.

I'd be overjoyed if Ntilikina falls to the pistons at 12, and if not then I hope they draft edmond sumner as a developmental prospect. Reggie Jackson is too loving young to get PRP injected into his knees, and this was not a team that was trying to tank, he was just hosed up, and the lack of shot creation cascaded, culminating in Andre Drummond playing like a baby boy. He really needs to hang out with Deandre Jordan and completely reorient his game.

for some reason i am all in on zach collins as i think he would play nicely next to drummond, but then again the power forward slot is already a massive glut of dudes that svg would never play a rookie over so i don't know. he probably won't be available at 12 anyway i guess. what do you think

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

i've got a google alert set up that will text me when derrick rose is back

You and several other battered women

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah, sadly. I love that guy but you just can't thrive in the NBA if you're a complete black hole on one side of the ball, and he's trash on offense. He's destined to be at best a 8th man to come off the bench and pump up the defense for 10-15 mins. As much as I'd hate to do it, if we can get some offensive production for him out of a trade, we need to pull the trigger on it. I also wish we could get rid of marvin because he turned right back into a pumpkin as soon as he got paid, but no one is gonna take him at this point.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

YOOO

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
This spot reserved for Memphis

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cool Buff Man posted:

I thought it was just the one woman, but lots of men involved :confused:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Look at this quitter

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
https://youtu.be/B0taN1_NyQE?t=5m25s

MWP talks about becoming MWP, how he actually ended up embarrassed by his name change.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

rabidsquid posted:

for some reason i am all in on zach collins as i think he would play nicely next to drummond, but then again the power forward slot is already a massive glut of dudes that svg would never play a rookie over so i don't know. he probably won't be available at 12 anyway i guess. what do you think

There's just so little video of him that I don't know. He shows what looks like a solid two way game and moves pretty well. I have no other feelings about him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think I'm gonna be in here pretty soon depending on what happens with Gobert but god bless Iso Joe for delaying the inevitable a bit. This season will be a huge what if depending on what happens this offseason with Hill and Heyward

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/Thebaumerphx/status/854422669642485760

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Kinda bummed. Steve and Eddie Johnson had developed good chemistry and were pretty funny. Steve wasn't exactly a brilliant basketball mind but he was honest and objective. They're gonna replace him with some cheap toadie who tows the party line I'm sure.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

NickRoweFillea posted:

hahaha, that bear is so so sad

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

hahaha, that bear is so so sad

everyone is their avatars

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rusev no :smith:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
All good bears must go to bed

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
Can I try a team wrap-up for the Orlando Magic? I watched some of their games this year! (myplayer was on their roster in NBA 2k15 so I'm qualified to be the level of a sportswriter) Nobody cares about the Magic, including their management, so I wanted to show them some love.

tl:dr = Orlando Magic 2016/17 = A season of questionable decisions ending in abject failure. poo poo, poo poo, lovely-poo poo.

At the beginning of the year things looked brighter. Two acquisitions: Serge Ibaka and Bismack Biyombo, meant the front-court was stacked for a shot-blocking defense. New coach Frank Vogel seemed to be serious about the defense-first approach. A quarter of the way-in, the Magic where in a nice spot win-loss wise, due to their defense, but had the worst (or close to worst) offense in the league. This inconsistency meant they were just below middle of the pack at the all-star break. Then they traded Serge to the Raptors for an actual SF in Terence Ross. It went all downhill from there - ending in a an abysmal 29-53 record (6 games worse than the previous year).

They also gave a giant contract (15 million for one year) to Jeff Green, a 6'9" / 29 year old / former 5th overall pick. Jeff Green could probably be a backup center if he tried to which he doesn't seem to be able to. Commentators usually remark that he teases you with talent that never shows up when needed. When I watched Magic games I only saw a defender/rebounder type player that was out of position when played at SF which he was most of the time, he also had no outside shot.

What went wrong?

First problem was that all members of the returning squad had to improve: Nicola Vucevic needed to play better defense, Aaron Gordon needed to become a more rounded player to start at SF to which Vogel put him in because Ibaka was starting PF, Elfrid Payton needed to show consistent performances and Evan Fournier needed to show it was the right decision to trade off Victor Oladipo to give him the unopposed start. Probably because of this their offense had no flow. Young players always lack consistency and having them as your stars is a recipe for failure.

Second problem was that they lacked offense in general - Ibaka, when he was there, was a second-tier scorer at best and needs someone else to make shots so he can get space behind the three point line. They lacked a leader as Vucevic struggled with the new system. Elf slipped into the leader role sometimes but opposing teams knew to make him a jump-shooter and he'll miss most of the time so hugged the paint ending his easy shots. When Ibaka left that meant Fournier was the only 3-point threat. One dimension is not a good dimension in the NBA.

Thirdly, apart from Biyombo, the bench was a bit of a wasteland. Bismack is a good hustle player but is a little old to develop a good roll to the basket to lead on offense off the bench. Jodie Meeks and D. J Augustin can shoot but don't defend. Mario Herzonja was a non-entity. Journeyman backup PG C.J. Watson showed bright spots. Jeff Green might not be an NBA level player.

Lastly, Vogel didn't seem to trust his players much. Vucevic is the closest this team has to a star or leader on the floor and Vogel had been starting Biyombo instead because defense is not Vucevic's strong point --> this actually seemed to impact Vucevic's offense negatively. Aaron Gordon is a PF - good hustle, decent defense, great finisher around the rim - and mostly he was started at SF as a 3 and D type - which was weird as his 3 point shooting isn't great. Fournier and Payton spent long stretches on the bench for Jodie Meeks and D.J. Augustin because they couldn't make shots and then Meeks got injured.

Next year? How long will the franchise survive?

1. Magic just fired their GM Rob Hennigan!!!! Things are looking up already!!!

2. Lose Jeff Green or sign him to a tiny contract befitting a backup. This isn't rocket science. For gently caress's sake. Who are you idiots kidding? If you are trying to tank then there are cheaper alternatives. Give me 15 million and I could even play better than Jeff Green. I will help you lose for cheap!

3. The big question is whether their two young 'stars in the making' (Elfrid Payton and Aaron Gordon) got any better? The answer is 'maybe'. Elf looks closer to a star but still has no three-shot and should cut his hair. Aaron Gordon spent half the year behind Ibaka and still looks raw after he left. Both these guys are really young at 21 yrs old or something, so they have time. How much they could develop on this team as opposed to any others is something to consider. If the Magic are set on developing stars instead of trading for them, then they shouldn't have gone for Ibaka who competed with Gordon for the PF slot.

4. With Terence Ross there is a chance that all their starters will play well in their natural position at the same time next year.... but ...realistically ....other teams might be interested in Vucevic as he can make his own shots, so there's an option to trade for something good. In the Ibaka trade they gained a late first-round pick (25th overall) which couples with their own higher pick that is yet undecided in the lottery. They could use this to trade Vucevic for a another pick to have a very young team like the Lakers or Philly but this means you are not going to win a lot of games for a few more years ....or trade them all away for a veteran or two to try to win now. There is also a chance to get a second round pick from the Lakers if the Lakers achieve a top three pick in this year's draft or that pick goes to 2019. It could be a very different looking team next year.

5. Don't trade for Derrick Rose or bringing back Dwight Howard something even more stupid. It seems like you shouldn't have to state this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTIGNqjlHmZ/

Earvin "Tamper" Johnson

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

This kind of poo poo is why you had to resign the first time, you moron

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The Glumslinger posted:

This kind of poo poo is why you had to resign the first time, you moron

His Lebron tweet is one of his finest

Laker Nation: The Lakers should call LeBron James agent. We know he's going stay in CLE but they should go after him just in case he leaves.
— Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh they ran into each other at a Jimmy Fallon show taping. Thats not gonna be enough for tampering. I don't think its illegal for players to talk to GMs just can't talk work stuff(officially anyway)

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Dexo posted:

Eh they ran into each other at a Jimmy Fallon show taping. Thats not gonna be enough for tampering. I don't think its illegal for players to talk to GMs just can't talk work stuff(officially anyway)

"So...how about that weather? Notice that weather? Ah, in LA we always have good sunny weather...must be the reason why its such a popular place...such a fun, nice, pleasant place."

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Hi guys. It's good to be here.

Let me be the first to say that it might not have been a good idea for the Blazers to invest 150 million dollars in Crabbe and Turner.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/04/24/paul-george-pacers-fake-exit-interview-larry-bird-trade-rumors

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Hi guys. It's good to be here.

Let me be the first to say that it might not have been a good idea for the Blazers to invest 150 million dollars in Crabbe and Turner.

I am personally of the opinion that Turner is worse than Crabbe. Evan Turner is so incredibly, remarkably bad at absolutely everything. It's really impressive.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

leftist heap posted:

I am personally of the opinion that Turner is worse than Crabbe. Evan Turner is so incredibly, remarkably bad at absolutely everything. It's really impressive.

Most teams have that one guy that's just terrible at everything but the Blazers are in the luxurious position of having TWO of them with Turner and Leonard. And they've both gotten significant minutes this year.

I swear if I have to watch Leonard bumble his way through another game I might throw the TV out the window. Words can't describe how useless that man is. And his hair sucks.

Sorry, just had to vent a little.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Evan Turner has fooled people on this very forum, this very season even, into thinking he actually contributes something positive to a team.

Meyers Leonard, on the other hand, does not fool anyone at all. He is an extremely tall pile of dog poo poo.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's actually insanely hilarious when people watch Meyers Leonard how obvious it is that he's complete dogshit.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

leftist heap posted:

It's actually insanely hilarious when people watch Meyers Leonard how obvious it is that he's complete dogshit.

maybe portland can trade him to the pacers, larry bird loves white stiffs

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
A cool thing:

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/856926781533827072

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

leftist heap posted:

I never trust anyone who has his name backwards. I bet Leonard Meyers would be an All-Star though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/JustinVerrier/status/856947068836823040

Those are the towns that are interested in hosting the Pels G-League team. I'm selfishly pulling for Baton Rouge since it is closest. Would also offer higher quality basketball than LSU.

• Locked thread