Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Gensou Ningyou Enbu (幻想人形演舞, lit. "Fantasy Puppet Dance Performance"), also known unofficially as Touhou Puppet Dance Performance, is a spiritual successor to the Pokémon FireRed hack Touhou Puppet Play, involving training and collecting puppets of various Touhou characters. The game was released at Comiket 87 on December 30th. The developer of the game is doujin circle FocasLens, which consists of HemoglobinA1C, the original developer of the Touhou Puppet Play ROM Hacks.

Touhou Puppet Dance Performance, unlike the Touhou Puppet Play ROM Hacks, is an entirely stand alone game, built with its own engine and mechanics, which draw heavy inspiration from the 6th Generation of the Pokemon franchise. The game puts the player in the sealed realm of Gensokyo, where they travel around trying to figure out how to get home and, in the process, deal with an incident of these newfound Puppets which showed up in Gensokyo out of the blue.

Now, it's worth mentioning that at Comiket 89, there was an expansion to this game called "Yume no Kakera" (Shard of Dreams), which is more of a redesign of the original game with new concepts and a redesigned gameflow. However, as of the time of this LP, the translation for that game only covers the menus and the essentials, with none of the storyline or anything like that done quite yet. And I'm kind of a sucker for all that, so I'll be playing the original game. Maybe when Shard of Dreams is done, I might LP that too, who knows :haw:

I'm also going into this game mostly blind, so the spoilers policy is going to be no spoilers. I'm not expecting this to have some kind of amazing storyline, but who knows!

- - -

Update 1 - Picking a Starter
Update 2 - Selfi's Adventure begins with Mokou!
Update 3 - Human Village
Update 3.1 - Puppet Book!
Update 4 - Onward to Kourindou
Update 5 - Making Our Way to Eientei

krisslanza fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

???: Hey, could you wake up?
???: Shall we chat for a bit?

???: Me? I am Yukari Yakumo. Nice to meet you, I suppose?

Yukari: Gensokyo is said to be the place things go when they are forgotten. A world where things that cannot continue to exist. Youkai and the like...
Yukari: My, your face betrays your interest. Hehehe. I have some interest in you as well.
Yukari: While we're here, might I ask a few things? First, could you tell me your gender?

For the purposes of this LP, we'll be playing a girl. Since, as we know, all the important people (and youkai) in Gensokyo are also girls, so we have to fit in! We're important now too!

Characters are limited to 10 characters, for now I'll pick a name, but feel free to suggest another one.

Yukari: ... What am I doing, asking you these things?
Yukari: Don't they say it's better to be safe than sorry?
Yukari: These are important parts of you. You must keep a close eye on them, you know?

Yukari: My, seems the time has come.
Yukari: That concept called time always comes too quickly.

Judging by the fact we were just on a bus, and the modern-looking road and sidewalk, we're not in Gensokyo right now. The next bus won't arrive for three hours, and attempting to leave to the right or left, will simply have our character remind us that we have business at the Hakurei Shrine today. So nothing to do but head right up the stairs.

Seems we're not the only people here today. According to "Perfect Memento in a Strict Sense", one of the supplementary materials for Touhou, the Hakurei Shrine is unique in that it exists along the border between Gensokyo and the real world, meaning it exists in both locations at the same time; but it technically doesn't reside in either. However, as some quick looking around will reveal...

The Hakurei Shrine in the outside world is completely rundown and on the verge of collapse. It's quite clear it hasn't been used for worship or anything in a long, long time.

Behind the smaller building in the shrine are Renko Usami and Maribel Hearn though! While part of the Touhou Project universe, these two live in a 'near' future where science dominates the Outside World. The material on them suggests they're even ahead of our modern day technology by quite a bit, as there are trips to the moon that people can purchase. However, it also seems in their future, the world's environment has been heavily damaged and they're working to sustain it - Maribel makes mention that strawberries no longer exist, besides artificially grown ones.

Maribel has the unique ability to perceive boundaries, and seems capable of interacting with them to some limited extent. She has actually traveled to Gensokyo via her dreams several times, and has even moved backwards in time during these trips. Renko meanwhile, has the ability to tell the time by looking at the stars, and finding out her exact location by looking at the moon. The two of them are the only known members of the Secret Sealing Club at their university, where Renko is a 'super unified physics major' and Maribel is a 'Relative Psychology major'.

NPC: What's Gensokyo? It's another world. Another world!

Seems in the setting of TPDP, Gensokyo is known of in the outside world! This is really reinforced by this very important NPC...

He then proceeds to ask us to pick our favorite Touhou. When this game came out, there was 118 Touhou characters, as this game also includes a few of the PC-98 characters. Does this man's question actually matter? It does, actually! Rather then presenting us with 3 starters like a Pokemon game, we're allowed to select any of the 118 Touhou Puppets as our starting Puppet! I have a few favorites, but I'll leave it up to the audience on the final call. I'll post the full list at the end of this update, along with a few of my favorites if you don't have your own. It's worth noting your starting Puppet in this game starts with either A or A+ in all their stats (in the expansion, they start with an S instead).

So readers, what is our favorite Touhou? Also, as this game is fundamentally like a Pokemon game, you can also select a nickname so feel free to suggest one.
This also happens to be a complete list of every single Puppet in the game, so if you also want to suggest nicknames for ones we'll catch, you can do that as well.

Favorites for me would be... Yuuka, Yukari, Koakuma, Kasen, Tenshi, Yorihime, Meira, or Mokou... if you need some ideas.

krisslanza fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 13, 2017

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yuugenmagan

Because if a world of lolis, eye guy really stands out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yorihime obviously.

Changing it to Mokou, since she actually has a chance at this point.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 14, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Removing that spoiler tag because I'm dumb and forget spoiler tag doesn't work on this forum like some other ones. I'm dumb. :haw:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Kisume seems to live in a bucket, which makes her more remarkable than the rest of the girls to me.

As for the soon-to-be aspiring PokemonDoll Master's name, call her Selfi (short for our Self Insert).

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Medicine Melancholy is the closest to an actual puppet so she's got my vote.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Let it pick randomly.

Actually no, there is only one correct answer. Shizuha Aki. Best Aki.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 14, 2017

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Mokou is the best and you should therefore choose her.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

As for the soon-to-be aspiring PokemonDoll Master's name, call her Selfi (short for our Self Insert).
Also this.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Gotta go with this for the name. As for our Doll Cirno is the only logical choice.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
There are far too many Toulouse to choose from, but I'm going to chuck a vote for Rumia because she's one of the names I can actually remember :v:.

Please see post below for my actual vote.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 14, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I know very little about Touhou other than memes and the pretty designs, but I'll vote for Suika since she owns from what I've seen.

And sure, Selfi for our Doll Master name as well.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That sounds fine to me.

As to our starter, I'm inclined to waste it on a puppet in the first encounter table. Or, alternatively, to use it on the puppet with the lowest encounter rate in the game. I suppose that, in the end, I'll go with Mokou.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Since the actual Pokemon LP going on right now is Pokemon Uranium, I'm gonna suggest we go with Utsuho Reiuji to honor OFS's poor life choices.

Lynkericious fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 14, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm with Clarste on this one; my favorite is Watatsuki no Yorihime.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Yamaxandu, clearly.

No. The best Touhou is Mima and everyone should agree with me there.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 14, 2017

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

You should pick Kaguya because hats are for squares.

Also I like the name Selfi

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Go for Mokou because someone in this game has to have pants.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I'll break my own rules here for the purpose of strategic voting, and say Mokou.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
My favorite is Sanae because she loves her job. Sakuya is a close second because I'm one of those assholes who asks "Is this a Jojo reference?" at the drop of a hat.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Cirno as my primary vote, Komachi as my secondary choice.

Calamitous_Justice
Feb 21, 2011
Cirno obviously is the strongest but a Marisa is fine too

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
I'll throw a vote in for everyone favorite Kung-fu wizard Jesus, Byakuren

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How our little trainer Selfi could go for anyone but Cirno is beyond me :colbert:

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Senerio posted:

No. The best Touhou is Mima and everyone should agree with me there.

I agree. Mima is the strongest and the best, and also the coolest.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Randomly scrolling up and down and picking what ever I stopped on gives me Yuugi Hoshiguma.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Randomly scrolling up and down and picking what ever I stopped on gives me Yuugi Hoshiguma.

A fine choice.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

KnoxZone posted:

Let it pick randomly.

I vote this. Because fun!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Yuugenmagan

Because if a world of lolis, eye guy really stands out.

2nd'd

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
I'll go with the powergaming option and vote for the strongest character in all of Gensokyo, Cirno.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Flipped a coin to decide between my two favorites and Mystia won out.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Mokou, because I have a soft spot for the immortal pyromaniac.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Throwing in another vote on the Mokou bandwagon for trainer Selfi.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

TracerK posted:

Throwing in another vote on the Mokou bandwagon for trainer Selfi.

Sure, voting for this.

Mokou's cool, and Selfi's a fitting name.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Either Hong or Ibuki

also that is a loving list gottdamn

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Herr Tog posted:

Either Hong or Ibuki

also that is a loving list gottdamn

Yeah, with 108 characters, you'd think we're playing Suikoden :v: Though the Touhou version would be Suikaden, and our quest would probably involve drinking 108 mystic wines or something.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, with 108 characters, you'd think we're playing Suikoden :v: Though the Touhou version would be Suikaden, and our quest would probably involve drinking 108 mystic wines or something.

it would be the nine liquors, in the 4 colors from 108 lands each is the three styles of food: Cold, warm, and hot.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ok, I'm going to change my vote above from Rumia to Cirno to make things a little interesting.

Chilblain
Oct 20, 2012

"You used some rude language towards me."
For that reason alone, I'll drop you into hell.
I'm going to vote Shinki and/or Mima because there's not enough PC-98 love going on here.

This is unironically probably my favourite game of 2014, and the expansion takes it up even further in my eyes, there's a lot in this game to love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
I'll toss a vote to Cirno as well, because she is clearly the strongest starter.

• Locked thread