Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Vauron posted:

What, not gonna visit the Myouren Temple? Sure, you don't have a reason to yet, but the trainers on the path have levels appropriate to the current time. Additionally, the encounter table in the temple is roughly the same level as Route 3.

I saw that fork in the road, but I wasn't aware I could actually go that way. Hmmmm, maybe I'll backtrack and go capture all THOSE Puppets then as well...
I guess I just figured that like the Forest of Magic situation, you can't really go divert from the plot path quite yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There is a very very good puppet you can get there, imo.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'm liking this LP so far, but the Nazrin puppet never got a writup.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ardeem posted:

I'm liking this LP so far, but the Nazrin puppet never got a writup.

Thank you!
And ah, did I? Well, I'll give a little write-up now, and also show off a little thing.

I also found out I can resize the game window, so I might keep this size, or mess with it a bit more. Anyway, from the Edit menu you can Change Abilities on almost all Puppets, as they tend to have two different Abilities they could've spawned with. A few Puppets seem to only have one though, but the vast majority have two.
It costs 20PP to do the switch, and you can't even check the option until then.

Now then, Nazrin is a mouse youkai from Unidentified Fantastic Object as the stage 1 boss. As her Puppet Book entry mentions, Nazrin is really good at finding objects as that is her ability! The process by which she does is this is basically just like actual dowsing, although Nazrin is also capable of commanding mice to aid in her search. She's a helper to Shou, and as a result, is apparently actually associated with the war god, Bishamonten, giving her a pretty large ego. Naturally, as a mouse, she really likes cheese and has a pretty big appetite, along with all her mice minions. Nazrin resides at Muenzuka, and only is at the Myouren Temple when she's requested to show up.

EDIT: Something I remembered. Nazrin's theme is titled "A Tiny, Tiny, Clever Commander". There so happens to be a quest in World of Warcraft named "A Tiny Clever Commander", with the objective to slay a kobold leader named Nazrim.

Senerio posted:

There is a very very good puppet you can get there, imo.

Taking a look at it, some nice Puppets I want there anyway. I already did an update today, but I might just do a second one today for all this Myouren Temple shenanigans!

krisslanza fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 19, 2017

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
One of the shops in the Human Village opens up around the time you're assigned the quest to visit Eientei, a tailor shop that lets you change the appearance of a puppet. Most of the outfits that I checked had minor changes (Daiyousei's alternate outfit, for example, kind of looks like one of the SDM fairy maids) but one in particular had noticeable changes (Yuuka goes from her PoFV look to her LLS Stage 5 look and her attack animations are changed as well).

Falconer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 19, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Falconer posted:

One of the shops in the Human Village opens up around the time you're assigned the quest to visit Eientei, a tailor shop that lets you change the appearance of a puppet. Most of the outfits have minor changes (Daiyousei's alternate outfit has frills and lace, kind of like one of the SDM fairy maids) but some offer a noticeable change in appearance (Yuuka goes from her PoFV look to her LLS Stage 5 look and her attack animations are changed as well).

Oh so that Tailor is open now? I was thinking, on what I was hearing is in the expansion, it was maybe only opened in that one as you can get Bridal outfits there.
I guess that answers the question if this game has shinies or not. Probably a good thing it doesn't. Not that I have ever actually seen a shiny Pokemon in all my playing of Pokemon, but...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Tailor opens up after you deliver Alice's package. It's implied that Alcie is the one making all the doll clothes. The alt. costumes were released in the first major patch after the game was released.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

The Tailor opens up after you deliver Alice's package. It's implied that Alcie is the one making all the doll clothes. The alt. costumes were released in the first major patch after the game was released.

That makes sense. I've taken a peek at the shop inbetween my attempts to do an update on all these new Puppets in the Myouren Temple. I probably won't tackle Eientei until tomorrow still though.

You know, one thing I sorta dislike, is being able to see the IV rank things. If only because then it makes me go, "Darn, why doesn't this Puppet have better ranks..."
I don't know enough about the meta to know how much the ranks really mean, but I guess it just turns into a kind of visual thing for me.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Myouren Temple

So before we go through Eientei, lets go back and take a detour! I would've done this on the way to the Bamboo Forest, but I wasn't aware the game would actually let me. But everything here is as tough as the Puppets, and trainers, you'll fight on the way anyway, so lets do it now. Besides, that means more Puppets to get! :eng101:

Notably, Buddhists aren't meant to be drinking and eating meat, I guess, but youkai do all of that. They just really all join the Myouren Temple, because they all really like Byakuren. She isn't in though, so we can't meet her personally. I imagine she'll be here, when we're meant to actually come here in the story, but she's out doing... stuff right now I guess.

NA MU SAN! Short for "Namu Sanbou", or roughly "Hail to the three treasures of Buddhism". It's meant to be said in a time of danger, and Byakuren's final spell card has the words Namusan! on it, and she also says it in the dialogue against the heroines. Anyway, let's come here to do what we really wanted at the Temple - catch new Puppets! The Myouren Temple area actually has three areas within it, so we have quite a few to get. There's some grass on the path to the Cemetery, so let's see what we can find!

Captain Motherfuckin' Minamitsu Murasa was the stage four boss of Undefined Fantastic Object, she's a ghost who died in a shipwreck long ago. Due to her death at sea, Murasa has the ability to cause ships to capsize, and by extension, can also drown people by being by any body of water - she can drown you in a bath, or cause you to drown in the river you're sitting by. In spite of this rather scary power, she's a pretty friendly ghost and probably wouldn't do that. Even if she did, she'd have a nice chat with her victims after they die. For those who have played, or seen, anything of Kantai Collection, the light cruiser Kiso might seem to look an awful lot like Murasa... which is entirely on purpose, as the artist for Kiso used to consider Murasa their waifu.

Also, she's supposed to be wearing a skirt. Her original artwork does make it look a lot like shorts, but some later artwork (and I think ZUN mentioning it) confirms Murasa wears a short skirt.

Shou Toramaru is a tiger youkai and the avatar for the war god Bishamonten. While she serves as a high-ranking priest and disciple for Byakuren, as the Temple worships Bishamonten, Shou is technically being worshipped by the person she serves. Toramaru's ability to gather treasures to her, is one of the reasons humans visit the temple, to hopefully benefit from the wealth that follows her around. Shou can use these precious gems with her Jeweled Pagoda to fire lasers to burn things away, or if she fires the lasers at the ground, she can create more gems! When UFO came out, Shou was rather infamous for her lasers having strange hitboxes, and being rather curvy, making her a bit infamous for these reasons. In fandom, Shou is often protrayed as being very klutzy, and constantly losing things due to the fact Nazrin is the one who found her Pagoda, and despite her ability, none of the treasures they were looking for were found by her.

Ichirin Kumoi was a human, who became a youkai through her use of the nyuudou Unzan, the cloud thing she's riding on. Her use of Unzan is her only actual ability, and much of her attacks involve using him to do things, instead of doing things herself. I'm not entirely sure what a nyuudou is, but according to her backstory, nyuudous seem to usually decapitate the heads of their victims... Ichirin avoided this fate, by shouting out "The foreseeing nyuudou was foreseen!" repelling him, and earning the respect of Unzan, who has followed and protected her ever since. Somewhat ironically, this bonded with Unzan led to Ichirin's transformation into a youkai, and being shunned by humans.

Byakuren Hijiri was a nun, alongside her brother Myouren Hijiri. However, when her brother died, her fear of death caused her to find a way to cheat her own death, and she turned to the black arts to preserve her life and youth. Realizing that this power would only work so long as youkai existed, she would act as a great exterminator, while also honoring and protecting them... however, she eventually did come to actually respect the youkai, and sought a way to have humans and youkai co-exist in peace. The members of the Myouren Temple (Murasa, Nazrin, Shou, and Ichirin) were all youkai she personally had met and befriended - however, her act of sparing Murasa, instead of exterminating her as she was meant too, was noticed by humans. Calling her a demon in human form, they sealed Byakuren away into the depths of Makai for what she had done.

With her backstory, the western fandom has compared her to a saint, and some fans like to call her "Youkai Jesus" as a result. Interestingly, her brother Myouren Hijiri, is an actual real life priest born in the Shinano Province, which happens to be ZUN's hometown. Byakuren's ability, by the way, is her use of the black arts that keep her youthful appearance, specifically she specializes in "buffing" magic, and is able to use these powers to grant herself superhuman abilities - including being fast enough to actually outrun Reimu's Fantasy Seal. So basically, she's the Muscle Wizard and casts Fist :eng101:

But phew, that's all the new Puppets in the Temple proper. The Cemetery has its own collection of Puppets to get still though!

Kogasa Tatara is a karakasa obake, who only wants to surprise people. She isn't very good at this though, despite her best attempts to surprise people. She used to be a normal umbrella in the outside world, but was forgotten about and abandoned, due to her color being unpopular and she was eventually swept into Gensokyo. Kogasa, interestingly, is a pretty developed character despite being originally just a stage 2 boss/midboss. She suffers from self-esteem issues, being unable to truly find her place in the world, and also seems to act depressed in order to gain attention from people. Her issues likely stem from her existence as a discarded and forgotten object in the outside world, as she simply wants to find a use for herself and be useful to others.

Unrelated here, Kogasa is the author avatar of a popular series known as "Hang in there Kogasa-chan!", with Sanae filling in the spot of the author's wife. This is also a bit of a call to the fandom, where Sanae and Kogasa are actually a fairly popular pairing.

Of the new puppets in this area, Yuyuko Saigyouji is the first we've met that isn't actually from UFO! Yuyuko was the final boss of Perfect Cherry Blossom, who was responsible for stealing the spring from Gensokyo to try and make the Saigyou Ayakashi bloom. This cherry tree is actually a youkai, and when it used to bloom, it would lure people to rest under it, so it could drain out their life and kill them. Unknown to Yuyuko during the events of PCB, the corpse buried near the tree is actually her own, with her death having sealed the tree, so it can never bloom again and claim the lives of innocents.

Yuyuko now reigns as the princess of Hakugyokurou after her death. As a ghost, and in life, Yuyuko has one of the more powerful abilities in the series, as she is able to manipulate death itself, enabling her to end the life of anyone she wanted - with the exception of the Hourai Immortals. This ability, in life, caused her a great deal of stress and sadness, which likely led to her choice to commit suicide under the Saigyou Ayakashi. In life, Yuyuko and Yukari were friends, and this friendship lasted through her death; this little tidbit has made the pairing one of the more popular options for Yukari. In fandom, Yuyuko is also usually seen as a massive glutton, able to eat enough food to even make Goku of DBZ jealous.

Youmu Konpaku is the gardener of Hakugyokurou and also serves as the bodyguard and fencing instructor to Yuyuko. She inherited the positions from her father, Youki, who retired for... some reason that is never actually brought up. While Youmu appears human, she is actually half-human and half-ghost, with her ghostly half being known as Myon in the fandom. The only ability she has, is her swordsmanship and she is quite proficient in this regard. She wields two blades, the katana Roukanken - forged by youkai and said to be able to slay ten phantoms in one slice - and the wakizashi Hakurouken, which is able to slice through people's confusion, and is an heirloom of the Konpaku family.

Despite being half-phantom, Youmu is actually afraid of ghost stories, and ghosts themselves. She isn't afraid of phantoms though, as she is half-phantom and used to them. Only ghosts. While serving as the bodyguard of the princess of the underworld, surrounded by ghosts. :v:

Mima is a PC-98 character, an evil spirit that was sealed at the Hakurei Shrine, but regularly breaks out of her seal. In the PC-98 canon, she also seems to have been Marisa's teacher, while still being a reoccurring boss in that continuity. Fans have, for the longest time, been hoping and waiting for Mima to reappear in the Windows canon, but to this day has yet to ever reappear. It has become a bit of a joke now, to say Mima is definitely going to appear in whatever the newest Touhou game is, only for her not too.

Yoshika is the last new Puppet in the Cemetery, and we also have to fight her here in order to reach the Cemetery Cave, as she's in the way. All she uses are Puppets of herself. I didn't screencap any of that... but I did eventually manage to find her Puppet form instead! Despite her being the 2nd most common encounter here, it took me a while to find her.

While technically a zombie, her actual classification would be a Jiang Shi, revived by Seiga as her guardian. Yoshika has the ability to 'eat anything', in her boss fight in Ten Desires, this allowed her to suck in spirits to recover her HP and keep fighting. Also as a Jiang Shi, anyone she bites will also turn into a Jiang Shi. The original design of Yoshika was too similar to another Jiang Shi, Lei-Lei from Darkstalkers, so he changed her into a zombie with a rotting brain, and thus was really stupid, instead.

Now let's go delving into a cave in a cemetery to round out the last new Puppets we have to add to our collection! Then we should probably go get hopelessly lost in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost.

Oh and look, the first Puppet I found here is relevant to the last one I found outside! Seiga Kaku is a "wicked" hermit, who is the one who taught Taoism to Toyosatomimi no Miko. Seiga is one of the more 'evil' characters in the series, as everything she does is to further her own goals, with little regard to what happens to others as a result. She's so evil, that using her ability to pass through walls, she once went around stealing people's Christmas presents, so she could sell them back to the original owners! Despite the wording on her ability to "pass" through walls, she doesn't actually become intangible and move through them, instead she uses her hairpin to cut physical holes in walls and move through them. Some walls are more difficult for her to move through then others though. Interestingly, in life Seiga married into the Kaku family so we're not sure on what her original family name was... this also makes Seiga one of the few characters in Touhou to have been married. Although she faked her death to become a hermit, so she clearly didn't care too much for her husband.

Soga no Tojiko is a vengeful spirit with the ability to cause thunder. While that is a common ability for vengeful spirits, Tojiko is quite powerful for one, and is able to create the full effect of loud, booming thunder. In life, Soga attempted to become a shikaisen, using a jar to contain her spirit... however, Futo replaced this jar with an unfired one, which decayed quickly, instead causing Tojiko to become a vengeful spirit as a result. Speaking of Futo...

Mononobe no Futo is a shikaisen, a sort of hermit, and practices Taoism. She has the ability to manipulate feng shui, but not too much is known about what she can do with this power as it was only mentioned in a note in Symposium of Post-mysticism. While Tojiko attempted to store her soul in a jar, Futo has her stored within a plate she keeps. Interestingly, despite Futo being directly responsible for Tojiko's failed bid for immortality, the two of them are actually friends, even if they bicker with one another.

Toyosatomimi no Miko is the leader of the Taoists in Gensokyo, and stands in direct opposition to the Myouren Temple, and Byakuren herself. As a follower of Taoism, she is an enemy of all those who follow Buddhism, finding it to be a sham of a religion. Miko also seems to be have an interest in possibly becoming the leader of the Human Village, a move that many youkai fear for its possible disruption of the status quo. Interestingly, we know a lot about Miko's background - as her actual identity is that of Prince Shoutoku, which is what her ability is based upon. Miko has the ability to "listen to ten people's conversations at a time", based upon the fact that in life Prince Shoutoku was able to listen to ten people and respond to all of their requests perfectly. This is why Miko wears earmuffs, as her ears are quite sensitive. The fact Miko is an actual historical figure, we actually know her exact birthday - February 7, 574, meaning we also know her exact age of 1443!

Interestingly, its possible the dynamic between the Taoists and Buddhists is a shout out to Hokuto no Ken, with Miko being Raoh and Byakuren being Toki.

Also in a less, "Well, maybe..." thing, one of the newest Touhou publications - Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia - has Aya writing articles about various events in Gensokyo, using outside world news as inspiration or... something. One of Miko's speeches is prefaced with "Make Humanity Great Again" and Aya writes about things Miko would do... all in the stylings of Trump's speeches. Like making a giant wall around the Human Village to keep youkai out, and making the youkai pay for it... :smugdon:
In actuality though, the speech was just about the dangers of candy or something.

And phew. That's it. Every single Puppet in the Myouren Temple! Also in the cave, you can actually find a sealed gate that, supposedly, leads to Sendai where Miko resides, but the gate is locked and unopenable. Maybe in the expansion?

Next time, we'll finally actually go and do what we're meant to do!
Also let me know what you think of the sizes of the screen. I found out I can resize it now. Also if you really want me to use some particular Puppets, do let me know!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Use the Captain, obviously. Negative Aura is a nice skill for her too, since at least one of her evolutions (er... "Style Changes") is Nether type, so it negates a weakness to Dark. That plus Nether's innate immunity to Fighting makes her a really good switcher.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'd vote Mima, but then she'd never be the main character in this game either.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

Use the Captain, obviously. Negative Aura is a nice skill for her too, since at least one of her evolutions (er... "Style Changes") is Nether type, so it negates a weakness to Dark. That plus Nether's innate immunity to Fighting makes her a really good switcher.

In hindsight I'm not sure why I didn't nickname her Kiso. I guess because she's missing that eyepatch.
I have to imagine I'm getting close-ish to the Style Changes by this point...

Ardeem posted:

I'd vote Mima, but then she'd never be the main character in this game either.

Selfi already took that spot, alas. But at least Mima can appear in this game! The prophecy has come true! ... Sort of.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah, this is a kind of random time to mention it, but Hold Items that sound like they get used up actually don't. They're all infinite use, just once per battle. This is unlike Pokemon. You saw some of them in Rinnosuke's shop a few updates ago.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Great, like I didn't need more reasons to dislike Toyosatomimi no Miko :argh:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That was explained incredibly poorly. The joke was that Miko gave an incredibly passionate speech about something boring that no one cared about. So to spice it up, Aya plagiarized an article about the outside world (ie: Trump) and changed a couple of words so it'd make more sense. So Miko has nothing to do with Trump, Aya was just trying to cash in on the controversy ratings. And then she later writes a correction before deciding not publish it at all.

Not to say that the magazine isn't incredibly political. The Lunarians are used as an example of a xenophobic society full of assholes.

Edit: Okay, I should probably explain the context of all this. ZUN recently released a new Touhou artbook, and much like some of the previous ones it takes the form of a newspaper that describes what various characters are doing. However, this time it's supposed to be a tabloid magazine, so it's filled with exaggerations, lies, advertisements, and a bunch of other things you absolutely shouldn't take at face value. It's mostly meant to be a satire of modern society. Near the end of it is a long interview with Hecatia, the goddess of Hell, where she talks a lot about immigration issues framed in fantasy terms, like Clownpiece being an immigrant from Hell. During the interview, Hecatia basically shames Aya about the role of the media in spreading harmful lies in the name of ratings, and Aya never publishes the magazine at all.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 25, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If I recall right you get style changes at 30. Don't quote me on that; I haven't gotten there on my current playthrough and my last one was years ago.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah, Style Changes show up soon. I... may have gotten half of my team qualified for a Style Change in the quest to catch every puppet in the Myouren Temple areas alongside routes 3 and 4 before remembering that I could have switched Yuuka's ability from Unjustness (double enemy puppet SP usage) to Peaceful (100% flee rate from wild puppet battles, even if a locking ability is used by the enemy).

That MIGHT have kept me from cutting down a small nation's worth of puppets and the resulting XP haul, just a bit.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade

Falconer posted:

Yeah, Style Changes show up soon. I... may have gotten half of my team qualified for a Style Change in the quest to catch every puppet in the Myouren Temple areas alongside routes 3 and 4 before remembering that I could have switched Yuuka's ability from Unjustness (double enemy puppet SP usage) to Peaceful (100% flee rate from wild puppet battles, even if a locking ability is used by the enemy).

That MIGHT have kept me from cutting down a small nation's worth of puppets and the resulting XP haul, just a bit.

Seriously, don't worry about 100% completion. At the very least, feel free to skip 5% and 3% encounter rate tohous.

As to what of the new batch to use, I suggest Kagerou and Yuyuko Honestly, I didn't find Mima that useful in general when I used her in my second playthrough.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

That was explained incredibly poorly. The joke was that Miko gave an incredibly passionate speech about something boring that no one cared about. So to spice it up, Aya plagiarized an article about the outside world (ie: Trump) and changed a couple of words so it'd make more sense. So Miko has nothing to do with Trump, Aya was just trying to cash in on the controversy ratings. And then she later writes a correction before deciding not publish it at all.

Not to say that the magazine isn't incredibly political. The Lunarians are used as an example of a xenophobic society full of assholes.

Edit: Okay, I should probably explain the context of all this. ZUN recently released a new Touhou artbook, and much like some of the previous ones it takes the form of a newspaper that describes what various characters are doing. However, this time it's supposed to be a tabloid magazine, so it's filled with exaggerations, lies, advertisements, and a bunch of other things you absolutely shouldn't take at face value. It's mostly meant to be a satire of modern society. Near the end of it is a long interview with Hecatia, the goddess of Hell, where she talks a lot about immigration issues framed in fantasy terms, like Clownpiece being an immigrant from Hell. During the interview, Hecatia basically shames Aya about the role of the media in spreading harmful lies in the name of ratings, and Aya never publishes the magazine at all.

Yeah in hindsight, I probably did explain that whole thing poorly. I swore I read somewhere Miko is a pro-human person who does want to get rid of the youkai, but to be honest, I can't seem to find that anywhere so I may have just imagined it.

Also, the Lunarians totally are xenophobic and full of assholes. :colbert:

Vauron posted:

Seriously, don't worry about 100% completion. At the very least, feel free to skip 5% and 3% encounter rate tohous.

As to what of the new batch to use, I suggest Kagerou and Yuyuko Honestly, I didn't find Mima that useful in general when I used her in my second playthrough.

I've had some pretty decent luck on the rare encounters so far, I hope I can keep it up. I was kind of fixing the EXP issues by swapping my whole party around to spread out the EXP so I don't make Mokou into a super death god... much.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

krisslanza posted:

Yeah in hindsight, I probably did explain that whole thing poorly. I swore I read somewhere Miko is a pro-human person who does want to get rid of the youkai, but to be honest, I can't seem to find that anywhere so I may have just imagined it.

A lot of this is my own interpretation of the character, but Miko is first and foremost pro-Miko. Like, she talks a big game about human dignity in Symposium of Post-Mysticism, but back in the day she publicly advertised a religion she views as keeping people down while privately practicing one that encourages self-improvement. She talks about how there's evil worms in human bodies that shorten human life spans and she just so happens to have these convenient four monkey statues that stop them that also just so conveniently cost an exorbitant sum. She gathers up Occult Balls because they threaten Gensokoy and incredibly-conveniently-enough the only place where they're harmless is her own private pocket dimension where she can gather up all these powerful artifacts for herself.

Basically I get the impression she's an incredibly shrewd and duplicitous politician who's always looking out for number one, but thanks to her ability to know someone's ten desires and her experiences as an important public figure she's able to frame it as having your best interests at heart instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think Miko honestly thinks she's the best and most qualified person to rule the world, and that the world would honestly benefit from her rule. But if it doesn't need her yet, then she's in no big hurry because frankly governing stuff is kind of a pain. Whether she's right about that or not is a separate issue.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

krisslanza posted:

Yes, that is a Puppet riding on a missile. Ruukoto herself is a character from the PC-98 era, who appears to be a nuclear-powered maid that Reimu gets. The missile is called Mimi-chan, I think, but I'm not entirely sure on the backstory about all of that. There aren't any Ruukotos for us to catch on Route 5 though, so we'll leave that mystery for another day.

A bit late (since I just found this thread) but I can answer this one: at the end of Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream, the final boss offers to grant a wish for whoever the player character was.

Reimu, being the lazy rear end she is, wished for a robot maid to clean the shrine for her. (She explicitly thinks of Multi, a character from the To Heart series, albeit with the obvious "we are making fun of this" censors you find in Japanese media). She gets Ruukoto.

Marisa, being Marisa, wishes for the strongest weapon the outside world has to offer. She gets a smiling ICBM nicknamed Mimi-chan. (The TH wiki tells me that's a reference to a manga named Mitsunaide Daisy, but I don't have any way to confirm that, really.)

Since neither of them are really stand-alone characters on their own, each being featured in a single ending in a PC-98 game almost nobody bothered to play, FocasLens obviously slapped them together into one puppet.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

A bit late (since I just found this thread) but I can answer this one: at the end of Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream, the final boss offers to grant a wish for whoever the player character was.

Reimu, being the lazy rear end she is, wished for a robot maid to clean the shrine for her. (She explicitly thinks of Multi, a character from the To Heart series, albeit with the obvious "we are making fun of this" censors you find in Japanese media). She gets Ruukoto.

Marisa, being Marisa, wishes for the strongest weapon the outside world has to offer. She gets a smiling ICBM nicknamed Mimi-chan. (The TH wiki tells me that's a reference to a manga named Mitsunaide Daisy, but I don't have any way to confirm that, really.)

Since neither of them are really stand-alone characters on their own, each being featured in a single ending in a PC-98 game almost nobody bothered to play, FocasLens obviously slapped them together into one puppet.

Aaaah, I see. I guess that makes sense.
Plus who doesn't like a nuclear-powered robot maid riding atop an ICBM?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I can honestly say I was not expecting an LP of this game to show up. Shaping up to be quite an interesting romp so far.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Bamboo Forest of the Lost

Right then! Back to what we're meant to be doing to help out Keine, and get us the item we'll need to actually reach the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

R: Eh? Eientei...?
R: I see, you're here in place of Keine! That's it, right?!
R: If so, please hurry! Lady Yagokoro said it'd be a major problem if it kept up like this!
R: I'll tell Lady Yagokoro you're coming, so I'm going on ahead!

Not too long after we enter, a rabbit runs straight into us though. We can't follow the path she took though, I guess we can't squeeze in between the bamboo...
Pretty sure that's just one of the many generic rabbits working at Eientei, because she was too nice and respectful to be Tewi :colbert:

The trainers in the forest are all generic rabbit youkai like this one, but this one that we run into right away said she'll give us a hint! I like hints. I mean, this place is called the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, its probably not going to be as simple as just walking right or something.

Hmmm, the number of bamboo shoots, huh? There's 6 of them on this screen... but before we get into that, this is a new area. That means, new puppets! :eng101:

New battle music for wild puppets, by the way

Tewi is the leader of the earth rabbits, and is said to know every earth rabbit youkai that exists. She's at least 1600 years old, and likely more - possibly older then most of the characters, if she's actually the White Rabbit of Inaba. Tewi has lived in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost before Eientei was here, and in fact, before the forest was event called the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, as the old name was "The Tall Grass Cluster". Some few hundred years after Eirin and Kaguya started hiding here, she eventually revealed herself to them, and struck a deal. In exchange for Tewi and her rabbits protecting Eientei from humans, Eirin would spread her knowledge to the earth rabbit youkai. In spite of her being the de facto leader of an entire race, Tewi herself is a natural prankster often spending any of her freetime playing pranks on Reisen, or trying to scam people out of their money.

As an aside, Tewi's name would be technically spelled as "Tei" in the modern days, as the "wi" in her name is an unused kana. With modern Japanese phonetics, it would be pronounced "Tei" instead of "Tewi".

Reisen Udongein Inaba is an... interesting character. Tewi may be the leader of all the earth rabbits, but Udgone is in fact, a moon rabbit. Back in 1969AD, there was a "Lunar War" between the Apollo 11 mission and the Lunarians who live on the moon. During this war, Reisen fled from the moon, seeking asylum in Gensokyo instead, ending up residing alongside the wanted Lunarian fugitives, Eirin and Kaguya. Reisen debuted in Imperishable Night as the Stage 5 Boss, and returned as a playable character in Phantasmagoria of Flower View, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom and the Playstation 4 game, Urban Legend in Limbo.

As a moon rabbit, Udonge is capable of sending and receiving ESP waves to interact with her fellow moon rabbits. Her own actual ability is the "manipulation of insanity", this is done via her ability to manipulate brain waves through eye contact. The effectiveness of this power depends on the target's willpower, but its uses can vary from altering people's emotions to even manipulating light and sound waves, to give her the ability to have 'afterimages' or disguising her danmaku. Udonge is also often shown with her right hand in a gun shape, and its generally assumed she fires her danmaku off much like a gun in this way - many of her danmaku actually physically appear as bullets. Fandom also often shows her using actual handguns, and later in the series, its shown that all members of the Moon Defense Corps Rabbits (of which Reisen formerly was) are drilled in using rifles, so she probably is entirely capable of using a handgun as well.

We already talked about Kagerou, but we can capture our own here. This is the last new Puppet to capture for us... the last Puppet in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost encounters, is Mokou. Who we already have, so we don't need to capture another.

Now then, remember how that one rabbit told us the number of bamboo shoots is the key? To navigate the Bamboo Forest, we need to solve this little puzzle. Its not as complicated as it sounds, because there are 4 numbers of bamboo shoots in each various screen - 3, 6, 9, or 12. There are only 4 paths you can take from each screen as well. Notice the pattern? The way to navigate the Forest, is to treat the paths as the "hands" on a clock, with the number of shoots telling you which hand to go for. So as we have 6 shoots on the first screen, we have to go south. Heading any other direction (besides left), will just loop us back to this same screen. Going left, towards the 9 o' clock position, will just have us leave.

There are a few other places to visit in the Bamboo Forest besides Eientei, but for the moment, there's no real reason to visit them, so just follow the path given to you by the bamboo shoots! Also, don't forget that the Bamboo Forest is...

We can't stay here too long, its bunny country.

Eientei
Reisen: I'll go ahead and tell Master. Tewi, take this person with you, okay?

What a trustworthy face.

Tewi: ... So what're you really here for? I was told you were really strong, but is that actually true? It's fishy. Super fishy.
Tewi: Therefore, have a match with me first. This'll prove if you're the real deal.

Despite blindsiding me with a completely unexpected fight, Tewi isn't too hard. But if you have arrived in Eientei in bad shape from random encounters (though almost all the grass is avoidable if you know how to navigate) or from marathoning all the bunny users in the forest, this could be a pretty bad situation since she doesn't even heal you.

Tewi: Hmm. So you really are capable. Go on in then. Eirin's inside.
Tewi: ...Eh? No one said I had to take you all the way there, right? Hey, hey, hurry up! You wanna make her mad?

She's not very nice, is she? On the way in to Eientei, there's some grass here... but its a bit... different, like the grass we saw near Kourindou.

You can see it there on the left. Its different for a reason - there are two more Puppets to capture here! However, you might want to hold off on capturing them right away... you'll find out why in a moment. But before that, lets talk a little bit about Eientei.

Eientei, as you can see, is an old-fashion style Japanese mansion. Eirin and Kaguya have hidden here ever since they fled the moon for their crimes. To almost everyone else, no one knows Kaguya and Eirin are actually Lunarians, with only Reisen ever proclaiming she's from the moon. Every month on the night of the full moon, the rabbits pound mochi, one of the main occupations of the earth rabbits. There are also at least two Lunar Expos every year held here, with various relics from the moon being shown off, these objects include: the American flag that was planted on the moon, moon rocks, and a lunar rover... to name a few. Interestingly, despite this being a place of refuge for Eirin and Kaguya, humans and youkai are freely allowed to enter to receive medical treatment from Eirin, with Fujiwara no Mokou often providing the escort.

Eirin: I am Eirin Yagokoro. I practice medicine here.
Eirin: It's a bit sudden, but allow me to test you. This matter requires a capable Puppet user. I'll leave this to you Udonge.
Remember how I said you shouldn't go capturing wild Puppets right away? Because you have another fight, and there isn't any healing in Eientei right now... if you had to rest up, you have to leave completely and come back.

Again, despite being blindsided, I didn't have too much of an issue. I think this might be because of my use of the same Puppets, and trying to complete the Puppet Book, I'm probably on a higher level then the game expects me to be.

Reisen: Amazing... As expected of the one Keine turned to. You're quite capable.
Eirin: Yes, you seem up to the task.
Eirin: ...You should be fine. Please help us, Selfi.
Eirin: What we want is for you to mediate a quarrel between our princess and a certain person. I have patients, so it would be a problem if they ran wild in the examination room.
Eirin: If it was just the princess, I could come up with some way to stop her. But both at the same time, and using Puppets on top of that, it's just gotten out of hand... So we want you to stop one of them.
Eirin: That said, I'm sure you have preparations to make, so I'll go on ahead. Now then, we're counting on you.

With that, she leaves and Reisen stays behind. Reisen will heal our Puppets for us, so NOW we can go get those two new Puppets before we resolve this problem! Priorities! :downs:
One little problem with this however, is Eientei has no Akyuu Doll. So you can't actually access your Puppet Box. So when I caught the new Puppets, I couldn't see the stats, but to spare you the wait, I'll just show the screencaps after I left Eientei.

Kaguya Houraisan is the mistress of Eientei, and a former princess of the Lunarians. She is also better known as Princess Kaguya from the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. When Kaguya lived on the moon, she one day convinced Eirin to help her create the Hourai Elixir, and consumed it, making her into a Hourai Immortal. However, this broke one of the laws of the Lunarians, and they sentenced her to execution for her crimes - however, as stated, she's now a Hourai Immortal. Despite executing her numerous times, she was completely incapable of dying due to her consumption of the Elixir. So instead, they exiled her to earth to live with the "filthy" humans as her punishment instead. This turned out to not be much of a punishment, as Kaguya grew to love the earth... but her inhuman beauty caused her to receive many suitors, and she gave them her Impossible Requests, and this probably caused a lot of them to die, or at the least, fail, when they sought her hand in marriage. Fujiwara no Mokou's father was among these, and this is the root of her hatred of Kaguya for causing her father to fail in these Requests, and embarrassing him and their family.

By the way, her five Impossible Requests? They were five items she wanted - the stone begging bowl of Buddha, a jeweled branch from Mount Hourai, the legendary robe of the fire-rat, a colored jewel from a dragon's neck, and the legendary Cowry of the swallows. No one ever could do it. She also so happens to own all five of these items already. So its possible they were well, impossible, because she already had them. So, interpret that as you will. Anyway, eventually the moon sends emissaries to tell Kaguya that her exile has been served, and she's to return to the moon with them. Eirin happens to be one of these, who has always felt guilty for the fact that Kaguya was punished, and Eirin was not, despite her role in the crime. Eirin decides to betray the emissaries, and the two flee to what would become Gensokyo, residing in Eientei. Nothing too interesting happens until Reisen flees here, seeking asylum from the Lunar War on Earth, a result of the Apollo 11 landing. Its also around this time that Mokou finds Kaguya again, and the two enjoy their mutual immortality by murdering one another on a daily basis.

Lastly, during the events of Imperishable Night, the Lunarian moon rabbits get into contact with Reisen (that ESP thing, remember?) with them demanding she return to the moon, as there is about to be another war with the humans on the moon. This whole incident involves Eirin replacing the moon with a fake one, but is ultimately proven useless, as the Great Hakurei Barrier is strong enough to keep the Lunarians from entering Gensokyo already.

Phew. That's a lot of backstory. And we haven't even talked about Kaguya's ability! Which is listed as the "manipulation of eternity and the instantaneous". What this really means is... a bit beyond me, even reading the wiki article on it. While the eternity part seems to be simply the fact she can make things, well, eternal and never changing... the instantaneous part is far more confusing, and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. Akyuu presents it as meaning "having parallel timelines at the same time", so it can be inferred to mean the manipulation of time as well? I'm not sure. It's complicated. Anyway, lets move onto our SECOND new Puppet! Which I'm sure you can already guess.

Eirin Yagokoro is a medical genius and one of the instrumental members in the forming of the Lunar society in the first place. Eirin has the ability to create any drug, the only notable exception being she needs Kaguya to make the Hourai Elixir, but is otherwise capable of making just about anything to cure just about anything. As mentioned about Eientei, Eirin sells her medicine to anyone who needs it, and doesn't seem too fussed about payment either, often being patient enough to wait for you to pay her. As mentioned in Kaguya's backstory, Eirin was one of the emissaries sent to retrieve Kaguya, but she instead murdered the other emissaries and fled with her. The other emissaries that were sent with her, were probably moon rabbits, and their killing seems to be an incredibly minor crime amongst the Lunarians, given it is never really brought up... the Lunarians seem to view the moon rabbits as rather disposable anyhow, and Eirin has said she has no problem with killing moon rabbits again if she has too.

Interestingly, as an aside about Lunarians in relation to Eirin, one of ther spellcards is called "Apollo 13", with the title of "Curse of the Heavens", suggesting it wasn't mechanical failure, but Lunarian sabotage that prevented the Apollo 13 mission from succeeding. Anyway, there isn't nearly as much to say about Eirin, compared to Kaguya. She has a minor relation to two other Lunarians though... but we'll get to that later. Eirin and Kaguya Puppets have the same rarity, but it actually took me a long time to find Eirin. Anyway, lets go resolve the thing we're here to do, or whatever.

It totally isn't going to involve Mokou. Nope.

Eirin: As I said before, I want you to intervene in this squabble.
Eirin: I want you to stop the white-haired one. The name of our princess' natural enemy is Fujiwara no Mokou. ( :eyepop: )
Eirin: She's quite formidable, but I'm sure that you'll be fine. Now, before the damage spreads. Let's go.

Mokou: But okay. I just have to get rid of anyone that gets in my way. I'll fight you holding nothing back.

I kicked her butt, naturally. :colbert: I've actually got a few puppets at level 30.... which is when we unlock Style Changes. As mentioned, this is the closest thing to evolution in this game. I have no idea which Styles are "good" exactly, so I just kind of picked... :ohdear:

As you can see, there is no physical change for style changes. But it changes that "Normal" thing to whichever Style you selected. Each Puppet seems to have two Styles to pick, and once you select one, you can't change it back. At least, when I tried, it said I can't. Maybe you can later, I dunno. Either way, I made Kotohime an Assist Style. Because it had higher speed, and I like going first.

Mokou: Uh... guess I put you out a little.
Mokou: Looks like I went a little too wild, so I'll leave it at this and head back to the Bamboo Forest.
Mokou: Come see me if you ever need anything. I'd love to have another match with you.

Eirin: That's enough Princess.
Kaguya: ...
Eirin: Thanks for your help. We managed to settle the matter somehow. We are in your debt, Selfi. Hm... we need to reward you somehow.
Eirin: ...Eh? You want to borrow what we bought from Kourindou? Yes, we're doing with it, so I don't mind.

So instead of HMs, we get items that fulfill the same purpose in this game, it seems! The Woodcutter Doll is our HM01, Cut. It'll cut down small trees in our way. We haven't actually seen any on the way I've been going. If we had gone towards the SDM right away, we would've been stopped by these trees. This little item is also a key to finding a few more Puppets in the Bamboo Forest...

Eirin: We'll take care of cleaning up here...
Eirin: Selfi... I see, you're on a journey. So you're heading to the Scarlet Devil Mansion after this.
Eirin: Then I'll tell one of the rabbits to escort you back through the Bamboo Forest. If you need it, talk to the rabbit outside.
Eirin: Take care on your way.

With that, we're done in Eientei! As Eirin mentioned, we basically have a instant shortcut to and from Eientei now, by just talking to a rabbit standing around. So let's get going! I have some new Puppets to get with this Woodcutter Doll and -

Is that Marisa I see? Let's go say hi! :downs:

Marisa: Givin' it your all in your own way, huh? I've been hearin' things.
Marisa: Went to do somethin' at Eientei, right? ...Oh~. An errand for Keine, huh?
Marisa: So she trusted you with that. That means you're stronger then before, huh?

Marisa is our Rival, isn't she? :stonk:
Now back when we first fought, it was just a tutorial fight, so Marisa only had, well, Marisa. She's got three Puppets now. An Alice, a Patchouli, and her Marisa. They're pretty decent levels too, 28, 28 and 30. Still, its nothing too interesting or hard -

That bitch. :stare:
Oh yeah, I made Mokou into Power type. This changed her typing to Fire/Fighting.

Marisa: Anyway, where ya' headed? The Scarlet Devil Mansion? I see, so Alice said that...
Marisa: I'mma hurry on ahead then. This time I'm gonna get stronger so I don't keep losing to the likes of you!
H-hey whats that supposed to mean... :ohdear:
Marisa walks off and... then walks right back.

Marisa: If so, you might wanna drop by the school before ya' head to the SDM.
Marisa: She's pretty straight-laced, so she might have somethin' for ya'.
Marisa: This time I'm really goin'. Later.

Okay she's gone for real now and - HEY WAIT, YOU DIDN'T REALLY STEAL MY RUBY HAIRPIN DID YOU!?

Oh okay, she didn't. Phew.
(I'm way too high level for this game. :shh: )
ANYWAY! Before we do any of that... we have some MORE PUPPETS TO GET! :eng101:
I'm not sure how you're meant to find the alternate paths through the Bamboo Forest. One of them will take you to Mokou's house, where you can fight her again. She is a bit higher level then when we fought her at Eientei, but not by much, and there's nothing of any real note. Her Mokou in that fight is level 32 and still Normal-style though, oddly. But what we want, is the other alternate path that takes us to a spot blocked by some trees...

Which we can cut down now! Once inside, there's a lot of grass and an item...

Teehee, 69. Skill Card 69 teaches "Squall" which is, well, Whirlwind from Pokemon. It'll switch out the opposing Puppet, or in the case of a Wild Puppet, end the battle instantly. I'm sure this has some kind of PvP utility, but I'd never use it during normal play myself. But we're not here for this Skill Card. This little hidden area has three new Puppets to capture! Two of them have a low 5% rate though. But I'm pretty determined to fill out this Book, even if its kind of making me overleveled. :colbert:

Wait what the gently caress is that ability :stonklol:
Uh right, anyway Gyokuto. This is, I believe, one of the many fanon names for a new moon rabbit that showed up in Silent Sinner in Blue. Her other fanon name is Rei'sen. Very little is known about her, other then she's the new moon rabbit pet of the Watatsuki sisters, and is presumably, the replacement for Reisen. And as you can clearly see in that Book, we so happen to have gotten those sisters!

Watatsuki no Yorihime :swoon:
She's a princess of the Lunarians and is one of the leaders of the Lunarian Defense Corps. Yorihime is the younger sister of Toyohime, and is incredibly proficient with her sword, while also being able to summon the Lunarian gods, much like how Reimu can (in theory) invoke earth gods due to her shrine maiden nature. Yorihime is, alongside her sister, one of the more... unpopular characters in the series, due to the way they were introduced. Yorihime was in Silent Sinner in Blue, showcasing her power by fighting Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya and Remilia, and defeating three of them without any trouble at all, with Reimu only causing her mild issues. This is despite the fact she had literally only just then been introduced and told about the Spell Card system, has earned her hate from some for easily trouncing very powerful characters in her introduction. She also shows up in Inaba of the Moon and the Inaba of the Earth, but no fighting happens in that one.

The only person to actually defeat her was Tewi, who incapacitated her in Inaba of the Moon and the Inaba of the Earth, via pitfall. Udonge used to be the pet of Yorihime and her sister, and the two of them were quite fond of her, and are quite sad that she never returned to them. Yorihime is also technically related to Eirin via marriage... but we're not sure which. One of the sisters is married to Eirin's grandnephew and the other to the son of another grandnephew. This makes the sisters, alongside Seiga and one more character, to be among the canonically married characters. That being said, their husbands are never shown or mentioned, so we're not really sure on the status of these relationships.

Also Yorihime is one of my favorite characters due to her design. She's just so cool and handsome and pretty. AND SHE HAS A SWORD. :swoon:

Watatsuki no Toyohime is the older sister. She also is in command of the Lunarian Defense Corps alongside her sister. Before Eirin's self-imposed exile, Toyohime was her pupil. We know a little more about the powers and abilities of Toyohime compared to her younger sister. For one, Eirin states Toyohime has incredible good luck, to the point she's never faced trouble in her life. She is also capable of manipulating the boundary between the scientific and fantastic versions of the moon... what this means, is a bit iffy. It helps maintain the barrier around the moon, and she also used it once to kill one of Yukari's crow familiars by sending it out into the cold vacuum of space on the scientific side of the moon. Lastly, she has the ability to "link the sea and the mountains", which has the moon as the 'sea' and the earth as the 'mountains'. Functionally, this means Toyohime can go anywhere she pleases - even straight into Gensokyo, bypassing the Barrier entirely. Even Yukari is incapable of going to the Moon freely, requiring the lunar phases to align.

Also that little fan of hers, is actually said to be an incredibly advanced Lunarian weapon, capable of generating such powerful gusts of winds that Eirin claims, she could obliterate the Bamboo Forest of the Lost down to the "atomic level". While her sister fought Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya and Remilia, Toyohime fought Yukari and Ran, successfully defeating and apprehending them during the events of Silent Sinner in Blue.

This is all the Puppets we can get until we head to the SDM. But before that, Keine has a reward for us, so lets get our goodies.

Skill Card 78 teaches "Continue", which fully heals your Puppet, including status effects. But they become unable to act for two turns. So certainly not good if whatever you're fighting can kill you in two hits. Still, kinda neat. Lastly, to end this update... some have mentioned the Tailor is open. And it is! For the mere cost of 3000 yen, you can change your Puppets into a recolor of their default look, or alternatively, a special third costume. I have far, far too many Puppets to go and show you every single one, but for the sake of showcasing...

The third costume for Mokou is how she appeared before she drank the Hourai Elixir, by the way. I'd recommend looking up the TPDP wiki if you want to see every color and costume, because it'd take a looot of screenshots for me to show them all. I'm thinking of splurging some of my cash on trying some of these out. Just not quite sure which... but that's all for today's update. Next time, we're heading to the SDM!

Which means more puppets!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ah, yes. The "Moonbitch" discourse, as I remember it from the days when Silent Sinner in Blue was getting translated. Toyohime and Yorihime's hate is, depending on interpretation, pretty drat justified - they show up, effortlessly curbstomp the most popular characters in the franchise at the time (Yorihime basically beats down Remilia and Marisa without breaking a sweat, and then proceeds to out-shrine-maiden Reimu when she's Actually Serious; Yorihime manages to take on Yukari and Ran at the same time with no issues whatsoever) and then proceed to do little more than smug themselves around the entire rest of SSiB. Their hatedom was pretty much inevitable from that point forward. Cries of "Mary Sue" and "deus ex machina" were (and probably still are) rampant.

Not even the reveal of Yukari outwitting all of them at once (the whole thing was a long con; Remilia's moon attack was a distraction for Yukari's own offensive which itself was a distraction to let Yuyuko sneak into the Lunar Capital totally undetected just to piss off Eirin) really took much of the heat off of them. It sucks, because they're not really bad characters, for Touhou. They just come on way too strong.

krisslanza posted:

Eirin Yagokoro is a medical genius and one of the instrumental members in the forming of the Lunar society in the first place. Eirin has the ability to create any drug, the only notable exception being she needs Kaguya to make the Hourai Elixir, but is otherwise capable of making just about anything to cure just about anything. As mentioned about Eientei, Eirin sells her medicine to anyone who needs it, and doesn't seem too fussed about payment either, often being patient enough to wait for you to pay her. As mentioned in Kaguya's backstory, Eirin was one of the emissaries sent to retrieve Kaguya, but she instead murdered the other emissaries and fled with her. The other emissaries that were sent with her, were probably moon rabbits, and their killing seems to be an incredibly minor crime amongst the Lunarians, given it is never really brought up... the Lunarians seem to view the moon rabbits as rather disposable anyhow, and Eirin has said she has no problem with killing moon rabbits again if she has too.

Interestingly, as an aside about Lunarians in relation to Eirin, one of ther spellcards is called "Apollo 13", with the title of "Curse of the Heavens", suggesting it wasn't mechanical failure, but Lunarian sabotage that prevented the Apollo 13 mission from succeeding. Anyway, there isn't nearly as much to say about Eirin, compared to Kaguya. She has a minor relation to two other Lunarians though... but we'll get to that later.

:eng101: ZUN has made vague hints and nods at the idea that Eirin is actually the Shinto god Omoikane, god of wisdom and intelligence. She's noted as being the oldest living Lunarian, even older than Tsukiyomi (briefly-mentioned ruler of the Lunar Capital and Shinto god of the moon), and several of her spell cards reference Omoikane. There's nothing more concrete than that, mind you, but it's as solid as the Apollo 13 nod.

krisslanza posted:

Skill Card 78 teaches "Continue", which fully heals your Puppet, including status effects. But they become unable to act for two turns. So certainly not good if whatever you're fighting can kill you in two hits.

In other words, it's Rest.

I have to admit, I appreciate it being renamed into a nod towards the Continue mechanic; if you can't do a 1CC then continuing probably isn't gonna help you as much as you want it to.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

serefin99 posted:

I can honestly say I was not expecting an LP of this game to show up. Shaping up to be quite an interesting romp so far.

Thanks! I remembered I had the game laying around, and no one else had done it... plus I've been following OFS' Uranium so I was kind of in the mood for something like this.
Looking at the archives, seems there's been surprisingly few Touhou LPs around here.

KataraniSword posted:

Ah, yes. The "Moonbitch" discourse, as I remember it from the days when Silent Sinner in Blue was getting translated. Toyohime and Yorihime's hate is, depending on interpretation, pretty drat justified - they show up, effortlessly curbstomp the most popular characters in the franchise at the time (Yorihime basically beats down Remilia and Marisa without breaking a sweat, and then proceeds to out-shrine-maiden Reimu when she's Actually Serious; Yorihime manages to take on Yukari and Ran at the same time with no issues whatsoever) and then proceed to do little more than smug themselves around the entire rest of SSiB. Their hatedom was pretty much inevitable from that point forward. Cries of "Mary Sue" and "deus ex machina" were (and probably still are) rampant.

Not even the reveal of Yukari outwitting all of them at once (the whole thing was a long con; Remilia's moon attack was a distraction for Yukari's own offensive which itself was a distraction to let Yuyuko sneak into the Lunar Capital totally undetected just to piss off Eirin) really took much of the heat off of them. It sucks, because they're not really bad characters, for Touhou. They just come on way too strong.

Yeah, I kind of remember the hate going on about them as well. I haven't actually read SSiB, but I've always liked Yorihime's design. But I'm a sap for swordswomen. Probably little surprise I like Meira and Konngara from PC-98 for the same reasons of being swordswomen.
Given the other info about Lunarians, I wonder if they might all be some level of actual deities. It would somewhat explain why the Lunarians we've seen (Kaguya, Eirin, Yorihime and Toyohime) are all so powerful. Although that also means Yorihime would be a deity that can invoke other deities within herself, so... maybe not.

Though this also has to make me wonder how badass the humans are in Touhou's canon, given they've invaded the moon I think... twice? And Armstrong is some kind of war hero or something. I forget. Fuzzy on those details.

KataraniSword posted:

:eng101: ZUN has made vague hints and nods at the idea that Eirin is actually the Shinto god Omoikane, god of wisdom and intelligence. She's noted as being the oldest living Lunarian, even older than Tsukiyomi (briefly-mentioned ruler of the Lunar Capital and Shinto god of the moon), and several of her spell cards reference Omoikane. There's nothing more concrete than that, mind you, but it's as solid as the Apollo 13 nod.

Wouldn't be the first god to be living in Gensokyo. :eng101:

KataraniSword posted:

In other words, it's Rest.

I have to admit, I appreciate it being renamed into a nod towards the Continue mechanic; if you can't do a 1CC then continuing probably isn't gonna help you as much as you want it to.

It's a proud accomplishment to be able to 1CC Touhou. Even if I can only do that on Normal. I think I've gotten decently far in PCB or IN on Lunatic... but I can't 1CC them. I've gotten to Yukari before! Not that I can even beat like, two spellcards though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

krisslanza posted:

Oh yeah, I made Mokou into Power type. This changed her typing to Fire/Fighting.

Another Fire/Fighting Starter :rolleyes:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Watasukis act exactly like Yukari and other popular, powerful characters though, so I don't really see why being smug should be a mark against them. And, well, technically they're just defending themselves when we meet them. While there are plenty of reasons to hate Lunarians in general, if you go into all their beliefs and whatnot, I think the reason they're hated in the fandom is just pure tribalism. They beat the team people were rooting for and therefore they must be destroyed.

Anyway, Mokou is the first boss of the game and actually kind of hard in normal circumstances. Mostly because her final puppet is the first evolved puppet you'll encounter in the game, and you'll normally be slightly below the level where you can Style Change. I've had to use a lot of creative strategies to beat her in some of my games, especially if you choose a starter who's vulnerable to fire. Also, iirc, she has both Keine and Futo on her team, which are very interesting choices. Actually, could you try to show us what the teams used by named characters are? There are some references and whatnot hidden in in just the team comp.

Also, you're like totally skipping over all battles forever, which is kind of weird since that's the bulk of the game. On the other hand, that's also kind of why I decided not to LP this way back when: most of the game is probably kind of boring to watch. I do think the game is much more interesting if you try to avoid overleveling though, and I would personally recommend never fighting a wild puppet except to capture it. Also buy a billion repels because you'll need them soon.

Oh yeah, Styles. Styles are permanent "evolutions" that change the puppet's type, stats, abilities, and the skills they'll learn after 30. I would recommend not spending any points in stats until they Style Change because sometimes their main attacking stat changes. Each base puppet has 2 possible Styles (3 in the expansion), and they're named things like Power, Defense, Speed, and Assist, but those are just broad descriptions. Each puppet's individual Styles are totally unique to them, and the fact that it's called Power or whatever won't necessarily hint at its gimmick.

KataraniSword posted:

Well, considering that Omoikane's full name is Yagokoro-no-Omoikane, it's about explicit as ZUN ever gets.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 28, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Senerio posted:

Another Fire/Fighting Starter :rolleyes:

Mokou is a way cooler starter then a kung-fu fire chicken though :colbert:

Clarste posted:

The Watasukis act exactly like Yukari and other popular, powerful characters though, so I don't really see why being smug should be a mark against them. And, well, technically they're just defending themselves when we meet them. While there are plenty of reasons to hate Lunarians in general, if you go into all their beliefs and whatnot, I think the reason they're hated in the fandom is just pure tribalism. They beat the team people were rooting for and therefore they must be destroyed.

Anyway, Mokou is the first boss of the game and actually kind of hard in normal circumstances. Mostly because her final puppet is the first evolved puppet you'll encounter in the game, and you'll normally be slightly below the level where you can Style Change. I've had to use a lot of creative strategies to beat her in some of my games, especially if you choose a starter who's vulnerable to fire. Also, iirc, she has both Keine and Futo on her team, which are very interesting choices. Actually, could you try to show us what the teams used by named characters are? There are some references and whatnot hidden in in just the team comp.

Also, you're like totally skipping over all battles forever, which is kind of weird since that's the bulk of the game. On the other hand, that's also kind of why I decided not to LP this way back when: most of the game is probably kind of boring to watch. I do think the game is much more interesting if you try to avoid overleveling though, and I would personally recommend never fighting a wild puppet except to capture it. Also buy a billion repels because you'll need them soon.

Oh yeah, Styles. Styles are permanent "evolutions" that change the puppet's type, stats, abilities, and the skills they'll learn after 30. I would recommend not spending any points in stats until they Style Change because sometimes their main attacking stat changes. Each base puppet has 2 possible Styles (3 in the expansion), and they're named things like Power, Defense, Speed, and Assist, but those are just broad descriptions. Each puppet's individual Styles are totally unique to them, and the fact that it's called Power or whatever won't necessarily hint at its gimmick.

Oddly, her Mokou is still Normal-style, even in the re-fight its only level 32 and still Normal. Maybe its a change in Shard of Dreams that they'll be Style Changed by now? I found it odd that Marisa has her Marisa at level 30 and its still Normal as well. There doesn't seem to be any reason to keep a Puppet at Normal, since they don't learn any new skills on Normal after level 30 anyway.

I'll try to screenshot more of the battles in the future, but yeah, my main issue is I'm a bit overleveled... which is odd to say, because I'm only technically a level or two above some of them, but my Mokou is able to roll over anything that isn't resistant to Fire pretty quick with her Ruby Hairpin. It certainly feels like you should be trying to do these fights while under a few levels, like when I fought Reimu and she basically rolled my entire team despite me knowing the fight was coming :v:

I'm not sure I'll be able to really make the game seem challenging by this point, since my collection habit and my whole dislike of running from battles is really the issue. I'm kind of hoping Shard of Dreams gets fully translated sometime in the near future, so I can do that one and try some kind of challenges to keep myself from grossly overpowering myself for that one...

Also Mokou's team in the first fight is just a Keine, Kagerou and Mokou I think. She had those three in the rematch at least, so I don't suspect she would've changed much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shard of Dreams actually has an even worse level curve. Even while avoiding unnecessary battles, you'll still probably end up higher level than the bosses. With your entire team.

krisslanza posted:

Also Mokou's team in the first fight is just a Keine, Kagerou and Mokou I think. She had those three in the rematch at least, so I don't suspect she would've changed much.

I was probably thinking of the expansion, where they give her Sumireko for very important reasons.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 28, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

Shard of Dreams actually has an even worse level curve. Even while avoiding unnecessary battles, you'll still probably end up higher level than the bosses. Which you entire team.

I did read it does rebalance the level curve, since it sends you straight to the SDM from Akyuu, instead to Kourindou. I might try the UI patch, just to get a feel for the game maybe.
I kind of would like to try a hand at mixing a bit of narrative into this, so it isn't just infodumping, but its a bit too odd to slap it in suddenly now. So I might try that for the expansion.
But then again, that's basically like writing Touhou fanfiction :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No, actually, it adds a brand new dungeon and boss that you visit before Kourindou. Which makes the SDM come even later. It also adds a brief optional area where you go through the Dream World to visit the Lunar Capital (replacing that weird little room in the forest where you find the Yorihime puppets).

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

krisslanza posted:

Though this also has to make me wonder how badass the humans are in Touhou's canon, given they've invaded the moon I think... twice? And Armstrong is some kind of war hero or something. I forget. Fuzzy on those details.

Invading the moon isn't quite as big an accomplishment as you'd think, from what we've seen of it; the situation in LoLK was out of the ordinary but it still shows that just having a mortal show up at all can cause serious disruptions to Lunarian culture. OTOH there have been a few top-tier humans coming from the outside world even if most outsiders end up youkai chow in short order; Sanae, Renko and Maribel, and arguably Chiyuri and Yumemi are all pretty strong.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe try using a "capture" team you use while you're pacing in the tall grass to get all of the Puppets in an area and a "story" team you use for everything else? Even if you want to keep using your current team as the "story" team, grinding the "capture" team up to spec should allow the plot to catch up a bit.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Mokou handed me my rear end on my first attempt because I didn't know that one of the skills that her puppet uses (Fire Wall) does increased damage if the target is holding an item.

Guess whose entire team was packing hairpins based on their primary attack type?

EDIT: I'm still having fun for now but I'm a bit discouraged that apparently every puppet that can have Peaceful (run from wild fights 100% of the time) as an ability loses it as an option the second that they change their style. I like being able to run from wild fights until I get a puppet I want to capture but I don't like having to keep Yuuka with Normal style in order to do so.

Falconer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 28, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I picked up this game to playthrough since I'm a sucker for pokemon-like stuff and I have to say, the level curve is atrocious. I'm maintaining two full teams and my puppets are still keeping parity with 'boss' encounters and outleveling the generic stuff by 5-10 levels. I noticed there is scaling EXP gains, but it seems pretty pointless since it only varies by about 2 points if your puppets are within 15 levels of each other which is nowhere near enough to make a difference. I also think the perma EXP-share function is a mistake.

Eh, I think I'm probably going to put it down soon. Getting that far ahead without grinding takes any sort of fun out of the battles and that's really about all the game has.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Falconer posted:

Mokou handed me my rear end on my first attempt because I didn't know that one of the skills that her puppet uses (Fire Wall) does increased damage if the target is holding an item.

Guess whose entire team was packing hairpins based on their primary attack type?

EDIT: I'm still having fun for now but I'm a bit discouraged that apparently every puppet that can have Peaceful (run from wild fights 100% of the time) as an ability loses it as an option the second that they change their style. I like being able to run from wild fights until I get a puppet I want to capture but I don't like having to keep Yuuka with Normal style in order to do so.

Yeah that Fire Wall packs a punch. I only have Pins on Mokou and Kotohime, but that Fire Wall still really can dish it out to them.
EDIT:
Also could try using the Blinding Orb thing. Think its called that. There's one right at the start of the game in the Hakurei Shrine's warehouse.

Zore posted:

I picked up this game to playthrough since I'm a sucker for pokemon-like stuff and I have to say, the level curve is atrocious. I'm maintaining two full teams and my puppets are still keeping parity with 'boss' encounters and outleveling the generic stuff by 5-10 levels. I noticed there is scaling EXP gains, but it seems pretty pointless since it only varies by about 2 points if your puppets are within 15 levels of each other which is nowhere near enough to make a difference. I also think the perma EXP-share function is a mistake.

Eh, I think I'm probably going to put it down soon. Getting that far ahead without grinding takes any sort of fun out of the battles and that's really about all the game has.

Using the wild Puppets as an example, I wonder if that's what they want you to be around for the 'boss' fights, meaning they kind of want you to be 5 levels or so under them. But then again, not really sure, as being near the boss' levels makes them kind of easy. On the other hand, you can spend PP to boost your stats, so even if you are 5-10 levels under a boss (in theory) you can probably compensate that way... but then again, you only get all that PP from the wild Puppets, which means you're gaining levels as well...

Also the EXP scaling is because of the Cost of the Puppet. Lower Cost Puppets either have less EXP to level, or gain more from battles to compensate for their lower BST compared to higher Cost Puppets.
But as this is still Pokemon, and an RPG by extension, the raw levels generally mean more then the lower stats. Which I think is still kind of important for the game, as it means you aren't really kinda screwed if you decide to only use certain Puppets.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

krisslanza posted:

Yeah that Fire Wall packs a punch. I only have Pins on Mokou and Kotohime, but that Fire Wall still really can dish it out to them.
EDIT:
Also could try using the Blinding Orb thing. Think its called that. There's one right at the start of the game in the Hakurei Shrine's warehouse.

I forgot about the Blinding Orb. Now that I have that equipped I can switch Yuuka with no worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Escape rates are absurdly high in this game anyway. Even without the item I have at least a 90% escape rate. And remember, I'm the guy who's running away from literally every single battle.

• Locked thread