Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Oh, well then. I suppose I just misunderstood the explanation earlier, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I checked out some PvP videos on Youtube to get a better look at the gameplay and got to see Punk-Rock Mystia set up and sweep a team.

Speaking of costumes, it blows my mind that the team created alternate sprite animations for more than 100 characters. Not to mention some of them are gorgeous, like Yuyuko's

On a side note, I always thought the backstory behind Kaguya and Mokou made them a good couple: what better way to restore your family's honor than taking the hand literally no one else could.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

theGrooseofLegend posted:

I checked out some PvP videos on Youtube to get a better look at the gameplay and got to see Punk-Rock Mystia set up and sweep a team.

Speaking of costumes, it blows my mind that the team created alternate sprite animations for more than 100 characters. Not to mention some of them are gorgeous, like Yuyuko's

On a side note, I always thought the backstory behind Kaguya and Mokou made them a good couple: what better way to restore your family's honor than taking the hand literally no one else could.

They're a popular couple in the fandom for a reason.
Though part of it boils down to they're actually immortal, so they're also the only ones who'll be around during the heat death of the universe... which is actually a series someone in Japan made, and is pretty sweet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Technically, Eirin will be there too.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Voted 5. Could we get a link to the game? It's a fan game so I assume it is free to download, right?

That said... on regards to the whole "Overpowered" power sets... Yeah, none of them are actually used in the games. And are generally left alone for the most part. The whole spell card duel thing came about because of how overpowered several of the youkai were, and just how overpowered Reimu is on top of that.
You already went into this a little, but Reimu's ability to float seems weak, until you realize that it is conceptual in nature. She can float out of reality into a sorta Avalon state (If you are familiar with the Fate series) where she can move the world, yet remain unmoved. Remilia's fate powers, Yuyuko's powers over life and death, Kaguya and her power over the instantaneous and the eternal, and especially Yukari's power over borders (Which is literally all of the above and then some...) are some of the most powerful. And therefore are usually only referenced in their spell cards, rather then actually put to use.

The whole system is designed so that youkai can keep living and retain their power, while not outright destroying humanity in Gensokyo. These are the Spell Card Rules in full. Note there is a line about how humans who lose can't be killed.

That said, on the actual game being played... it really looks like the game devs meant for you to go to the SDM before Eintei, changed their minds, and then forgot to reset the levels. How very odd. It got fixed in the expansion though I assume. Either way, it makes for a difficulty spike, followed by a valley.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Zebrin posted:

Voted 5. Could we get a link to the game? It's a fan game so I assume it is free to download, right?

Unfortunately, it's not free.
It is a doujin game, and not very easy to purchase either for a westerner.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Here's a guide on how to buy it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zebrin posted:

That said, on the actual game being played... it really looks like the game devs meant for you to go to the SDM before Eintei, changed their minds, and then forgot to reset the levels. How very odd. It got fixed in the expansion though I assume. Either way, it makes for a difficulty spike, followed by a valley.

It's more like the actual bosses have decent levels (usually), and the filler in between them are useless trash designed mostly to wear you down.

Regarding its nature as a fan game that you need to buy, the gist of it is that ZUN has an open license allowing other people to use his characters and settings subject to certain limitations. Doujin culture is more complicated than that, but that's another topic.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
I thought it had only been like, 4 days since I last updated. Ho boy was I wrong :stonklol:

Well, how hard could it be to find Remilia in the Scarlet Devil Mansion? It isn't like the Mansion is crawling with a legion of fairy maids or wild Puppets, hahaha -

:stare:
Did I just run into the rarest encounter in the Mansion right off the bat? Flandre has only a 3.33%, so I wasn't really expecting this to happen right away. But anyway, naturally the Mansion is now crawling with Puppets to capture. At least it means I can capture my own Koakuma :swoon:

Flandre Scarlet is the younger sister of Remilia Scarlet, born in 1508, 5 years after her older sister. Flandre's theme, "U.N. Owen was Her?" is quite popular, and has been reused in a number of music parodies. Compared to her sister, Flandre's power is a lot easier to describe and talk about.
Because she has the power to "destroy absolutely anything".
As Flandre herself describes it, every single thing has an "eye", which seems to represent wherever the tension is highest in the object. She can then move this 'eye' to the palm of her hand, flow her energy into it and then squeeze it... and boom. The object is completely destroyed. This ability doesn't even require her to physically touch the object, as once a meteor was heading towards Gensokyo, which Flandre was able to destroy from the surface by taking the 'eye' of the meteor into her hand and crushing it.
Compared to Remilia, Flandre is usually very quiet and reserved... but her mind is a bit unhinged, making her also unpredictable. She does act much more like her physical appearance would suggest though. Her mental instability likely is a result of her own power and Remilia's decision to lock her younger sister up in the basement of the SDM to protect her sister from herself and others who might seek her power.

But as it turns out, locking your sister in a basement with minimal contact with anyone - including her sister and any of the servants of the SDM - for about 495 years doesn't do much to give one a good upbringing or mental state. Of many of the characters in the series she has some of the lowest 'friendliness' towards humans, given her complete lack of contact with any of them (aside as a cooked meal) for almost all of her life. She also has a bad habit of being unable to control her power, meaning there is a high chance she might accidentally obliterate anyone who tried to play with her.

Also as for the odd thing she's holding, is thought to be Laevateinn, judging by its use in one of her spell cards called "Taboo Sign - Laevateinn". Fitting, given Remilia has a spellcard named for Gungnir. Another of her famous spellcards is "Four of a Kind", which creates 3 clones of herself - each capable of independent movement and thought, so if you thought one Flandre was strong enough, imagine four! Way better then that Multi-Form Technique in DBZ. Flandre's unusual wings are a source of much speculation as they don't resemble any kind of normal wings, or vampire wings. I think the most common theory about them is she somehow lost, or had her original wings destroy, and these were replacements created by either herself, or perhaps Patchouli. But we really don't have any clue.

But Remilia told us to find her, we're not an intruder! :colbert:
Earlier some of the fairy maids we could see were friendly, but the ones in these halls will now attack us on sight.

The fairy maids make up a pretty large portion of the SDM's staff, and are (in theory) responsible for its upkeep and cleaning. In actuality though, most of the fairy maids are borderline useless, as fairies are not exactly hard workers, and are very prone to slacking off. Sakuya is probably responsible for cleaning 99% of the SDM on her own.

Also for some reason, Star Sapphire can learn Atomic Energy which heals her. :stare:

Case in point on the whole laziness of fairy maids.

Waifu Puppet obtained :swoon: I don't normally showcase too many of the attacks in this game, as honestly, there is a ton of them and I wouldn't even know where to begin. But Koakuma has one particular move here that synergies very well with the Healing Power ability...

Very useful in Puppet User battles for taking advantage of Healing Power, especially if you go first.

Hmm, you know, I'm noticing a pattern with the Fairy Maid names so far. Can you guess what it might be?

As it turns out, Void is weak to Dark, so Koakuma has a pretty good advantage over her master. :eng101:
Immovable is as pretty appropriate ability for Patchouli, given she's known as the "Immovable Library" due to her whole hermit lifestyle of never leaving her library.

I'm sure we'll meet the actual Sakuya somewhere in this mansion, but for now...
Sakuya Izayoi is the head maid of SDM, and a devoted servant of Remilia Scarlet. Her past is shrouded in mystery, and Sakuya Izayoi is not actually her name, it is instead the name given to her by her mistress. The common fan theory is Sakuya was a vampire hunter that sought Remilia's life, but was defeated and swore her fealty to Remilia as a result. She is also the only human that lives and works in the mansion.

Now, if you couldn't tell by my completely original nickname, Sakuya's power is the "manipulation of time". What this actually entails, was often assumed to be similar to the time-stopping powers of Dio Brando's Stand, "The World", but with the latest manga, Sakuya has clarified her own power a bit more. Sakuya has said she is actually incapable of stopping time for other people - but she still seems capable of accelerating or decelerating the flow of time for herself, or objects - and what is seen as 'stopping time' by others, is actually her moving at extremely high speed without mass.

With the manipulation of time, she also has the power to manipulate space, and is responsible for the fact the SDM is much larger on the inside then it is on the outside. Despite being a human, Sakuya has very little friendliness towards humans, her power is assumed to be the reason as it would make many fear and hate her, and as a result, she has little care for other human beings.

Look, we have a complete collection of SDM Puppets now! :holy:
Also in this little Puppet battle, the wild Remilia did showcase something that I haven't really (big surprise, huh?)

There are weather moves. I've never really bothered to learn them though, as I've just always been a fan of using that move to defeat my opponent instead. I'm sure its something much more useful in PvP battles, but I've just never seen the point in using anything in Pokemon that isn't an attack that'll oneshot your opponent :v:

Yayoi, huh? Noticing the pattern yet? :haw:

Captain hit level 30 after that fight, gaining her access to her Styles! I'm actually going to take Defense-style, as her Negative Aura makes her immune to Dark-type attacks, negating the weakness she'd gain to them with Nether-type. This might be a bad choice, but I'm bad at this anyway. :haw:

Oh. Well, Ayaha breaks my theory on the naming scheme. The other three so far, at least, were all the names of Japanese Destroyers at least.
Also the ICBM can fire a massive laser :stare:

So let's just go past these pots...

B-but this was in the north passage I thought. :stonk:
Darn you non-Elucidian passages!

:colbert: Back to the IJN Destroyer names I see.

Shrubbery thread! :woop:

No you aren't meant to clean me :gonk:
New fairy maid appearance though.

How did we react to Flandre running down the hallway in an entirely different hallway. :stare: But I suspect if we follow Flandre, we might find out way out of this horror!

HOW DID SHE GET BEHIND US. :stonk:

I have no idea how I ended up here. But I think this might be the door?!

SON OF A -

How. :stare:

This maid is named Uzuki, continuing the trend. Also, around this time, I left the SDM entirely too restock items and get some Rosary and Tailsmen. Otherwise I'm going to be like level 40 before I find my way through here I think. I also pimped out my Puppets!

This seems like one of the things useful in some gimmick builds. Some fairy probably left it laying around, slackers.

Hrm. Well. That's different. Going through the wrong door will spit us back out into a door behind us, so it isn't too hard to figure this out.

Well this looks promising!

This is a Sakuya reference, pretty sure. Sakuya is very skilled with her knives, and is also the only cook in the mansion, and is very good at it.

So I learned checking the Skill Card in my bag, will actually not only tell you the move, but let you see the stats of the move. Handy. 27 has Changeling though, that very useful move Koakuma learns that synergies great with the healing ability.

This room is a lot more plain then I was expecting. :colbert:

Uhhh Remilia, is there something you want to tell us? :stare:

Oh phew, its just peaches from Heaven.

We're in new parts of the mansion, we have to be closer! Also I think this fairy is dreaming about the Great Fairy War, one of the Touhou games. She's also doing something I often used to believe for dreams, that if I went back to sleep quickly, I could 'continue' it...

Okay THIS looks promising, for real!

Uh oh :stare:

Well, at least your levels are... decent. Still lower then what we had at Eientei I think.

One down :colbert:

Fitting for Sakuya to use a Ruukoto I guess, given her job as a maid. But Remilia, why are you letting your servants carry around ICBMs?

Every single Ruukoto in this Mansion has been using that. It's basically Self-Destruct, so it makes it easy to get through them at least.

:eek:
OUR FIRST STYLE CHANGED ENEMY!?

Too bad Mokou is way stronger. And well, Sakuya is weak to Fire. Still, things are looking up for maybe finding some tougher Users!

But we did have an appointment, odd that Remilia didn't mention it... then again, she probably found this more amusing. She is a perpetually bored, spoiled noblewoman after all.

Did you really expect otherwise? :colbert:

Remilia: I am a descendant of vampires, those that feed on the blood of humans to live.
Remilia: Did you enjoy the path to this place? Hehe, you look tired. But I'll have you accompany me a bit longer.
Remilia: I've been looking forward to playing with you myself. Even if you say no, you will face me.
Remilia: Now! Come at me for real! Otherwise...

Couldn't just let me use that Akyuu Doll on your desk first, huh?

Well, how bad could she be compared to Sakuya, who we just fought before walking in -

Uhhhh. Well. That's a sizable jump in power. A CHALLENGE :getin:

I can't find Remilia's actual theme right now, but supposedly, this was meant to be it, but for some reason, it isn't used. So I think she might be using a generic boss track that I just can't find at the moment, sorry.
Remilia's Unused Theme

Remilia's Sakuya really tore into my Mokou though, even with Type advantage it took me two hits to take her down, when she can shave off nearly half my health with a non-super effective move.

Ow. It doesn't help Remilia's Puppets are all faster then mine, I'm really glad I bought some healing items before this...

:stonklol: Oh sweet merciful Dragon. You know, maybe having ended up taking all those wild Puppet battles to grind myself up would've been okay. That and I should start spending all this PP on stats, but I honestly have no clue where I want to stick it all. But I really should maybe just dump it all into Speed, because going second is really limiting my strategic options.

I think by the name, you can tell how effective that was on poor Captain.

:stare: Then she just crit oneshot my best Puppet. And I don't have any Revive-types, because I don't think anything sells those still.

I think I'm gonna be eaten alive.

She just oneshot me without even a super effective or crit. Selfi's fate is too gruesome and graphic to show.

I'm gonna need to take a bit to get my Puppets up some levels... and probably just max out all their speed or something...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh, huh. I kind of remember Remilia's difficulty spike being fixed in a patch. I guess not. It shouldn't be too hard for your team though, since Remilia takes 4x damage from Steel, and Sakuya learns a priority Steel move at level 30, no matter which style you choose.

As a general philosophy I guess, I prefer to have tanky characters who can deal things like paralysis in addition to fast characters who can kill everything. Because a fast character can do literally nothing against someone who's higher level than them, while a tanky character at least has some options.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

Oh, huh. I kind of remember Remilia's difficulty spike being fixed in a patch. I guess not. It shouldn't be too hard for your team though, since Remilia takes 4x damage from Steel, and Sakuya learns a priority Steel move at level 30, no matter which style you choose.

As a general philosophy I guess, I prefer to have tanky characters who can deal things like paralysis in addition to fast characters who can kill everything. Because a fast character can do literally nothing against someone who's higher level than them, while a tanky character at least has some options.

Pretty sure I'm on the latest patch...
Just need to grab a feew levels and I'll be fine. Really surprised she pulled off a one-hit crit KO on Mokou though. That was just rough.
At least now I thiiiink I remember the way back to her room, so I won't get lost for an hour wandering the hallways.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
This was the second point where I had my lunch money stolen due to the Remilia puppet being a powerhouse. I eventually brute forced my way through the fight with a few puppets in the low 40s level-wise (Defense Yuuka in particular who was able to tank a shot from Remi then respond with a Spark Shot boosted by After Move).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

krisslanza posted:

I feel like they missed an opportunity to make a "clean your clock" joke here.

krisslanza posted:

We're in new parts of the mansion, we have to be closer! Also I think this fairy is dreaming about the Great Fairy War, one of the Touhou games. She's also doing something I often used to believe for dreams, that if I went back to sleep quickly, I could 'continue' it...
I've actually managed to do that before. Some of the details were wrong in "Part 2", but I did manage to sort of pick up where I left off.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Well I see they didn't adjust Remillia's levels since I played. This huge jump in levels from the previous battles is exactly what everyone was referring to when they say the difficulty curve in the game is messed up. This isn't the last time you'll see a huge drop in trainer and wild levels and then a giant jump at a boss either. Also I'm fairly sure Remillia is one of the strongest attackers in the game, as well as being pretty fast so this is the game giving a solid screw you to anyone without a steel type.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be honest, I'd rather have the game be hard than easy, and I've never had a team I wasn't able to overcome this with somehow (without just grinding until I'm higher level than her).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 16, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Clarste posted:

To be honest, I'd rather have the game be hard than easy, and I've never had a team I wasn't able to overcome this with somehow(without just grinding until I'm higher level than her).

Unfortunately this has the opposite effect. If you have a team strong enough to take on Remillia or later bosses, your team is also strong enough to steamroll over everything else in the way without effort. At least that's the experience I remember after this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I meant in terms of strategy, not strength. For example, Kosuzu can learn a skill that gives priority to all Status moves, which she can use to paralyze or blind Remilia. That sort of thing.

But I agree that this is one of very few actually challenging bosses in the game, and there's no way that the trash between bosses will ever be challenging at all.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

I meant in terms of strategy, not strength. For example, Kosuzu can learn a skill that gives priority to all Status moves, which she can use to paralyze or blind Remilia. That sort of thing.

But I agree that this is one of very few actually challenging bosses in the game, and there's no way that the trash between bosses will ever be challenging at all.

You're much strategic then me. My way of playing Pokemon has just always been to go first, and punch everyone in the face until they stop moving.
Which is proving effective until moments like this. Not that I dislike it, and as mentioned, its really just a matter of not having a good Steel user set up to steamroll Remilia down (maybe). I just wasn't honestly expecting Remilia to be that big a spike, otherwise I would've probably at least gotten all my active Puppets to at least 30 for the Style Change, and a few more levels.

I was worried with Mokou she was going to be able to solo Remilia already. Then she sure showed me.
I need to really spend my PP on my stats too. I just worry I'll overinvest in Speed, but I guess it isn't the worst... I mean, going first is (almost) never bad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You can't put more than 64 points in speed anyway (130 in all your stats, total). I usually split it 50/50 between their attacking stat and either Speed or HP, depending on whether their base speed is enough to ever outspeed anything.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

You can't put more than 64 points in speed anyway. I usually split it 50/50 between their attacking stat and either Speed or HP, depending on whether their base speed is enough to ever outspeed anything.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I'm not one to try fancy strats that rely on going second. I'd just prefer going first and beating up people faster.
I kind of wish I had whatever OFS uses that let him crack open Uranium, just to see what the stats on Remilia's Puppets actually are.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is there some reason to think the maids are named after ships specifically, and not months of the traditional Japanese calendar?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

Is there some reason to think the maids are named after ships specifically, and not months of the traditional Japanese calendar?

That might be what those destroyers are named after. I just know the names from playing Kantai, so its my first natural reaction to the naming scheme. I didn't look it up so much as just a gut instinct... in hindsight, it would make sense the ships were named after another thing originally.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Oh man, I can't believe someone is let's playing this game! I have dedicated for too much time to this game ever since it came out. And it's kind of funny that I just found this LP today, considering I got both of my brothers to start playing this over the weekend.

But I really love this game, basically every single one of its mechanics is something I wish actual Pokemon would adopt. They did finally get rid of HMs in Sun and Moon, but being able to get money from wild pokemon is something that needs to happen!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

But you can get money from wild Pokemon, IIRC. You just need Pay Day. :P

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

CaptianKatsura posted:

Oh man, I can't believe someone is let's playing this game! I have dedicated for too much time to this game ever since it came out. And it's kind of funny that I just found this LP today, considering I got both of my brothers to start playing this over the weekend.

But I really love this game, basically every single one of its mechanics is something I wish actual Pokemon would adopt. They did finally get rid of HMs in Sun and Moon, but being able to get money from wild pokemon is something that needs to happen!

Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it. I did it on a whim, particularly as an SSLP (at least how I'm running it, and for this game in particular) is a lot easier to do then my first attempt at a VLP.
Might go back and see about resuming that Akiba's Trip VLP in the future, but eh. Dunno.

The last Pokemon I played, in any serious amount, was Black and White, I think. I've grown a bit attached to HM moves, but I can really see the hype in them being gone in the newer games.

Commander Keene posted:

But you can get money from wild Pokemon, IIRC. You just need Pay Day. :P

Pshaw, who uses Pay Day!? :haw:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

So fun fact, by going out the southern doors in Remilia's area, will unlock them so you can quickly access this area again, without navigating the labyrinth of the Mansion.

I thought I'd open with my big guns, but even dumping the maximum of 64PP into Power Mokou's Speed, a Power Sakuya still is faster despite a 3 level advantage... for comparison, Power Mokou has a 55 in Speed, compared to Power Sakuya's 60.

This one shots the Yorihime. Despite the name, Panic Call is actually a Dark type attack that gains a 50% power boost if the target is holding an item. Yorihime is both weak to Dark, and holding a Hematite Hairpin so its probably no surprise that she got oneshot by a 65BP move with a x2 multiplier on top of the 50% boost.

Luckily, Speed Flandre has nothing super effective against Mokou, even if she still takes a pretty decent beating from Star Flare. And naturally, we're not going to be faster then a Puppet Style Changed to Speed (Speed Flandre has a base 110 Speed).

Did I mention Power Remilia also has a BST of 110 in Speed? Crazy thing is, Remilia's other Style actually IS a Speed one which gives her 130 in Speed instead.

Now hopefully my strategy works here. As mentioned in the thread, Power Remilia has a whooping x4 weakness to Steel... but naturally with 110 Base Speed, I'm never going to out speed her. But Sakuya at level 30 learns Overtake Strike, which is a priority move. I'm hoping with a same-type bonus, Hematite Hairpin, and the new "Strategist" ability (boosts the BP of any move under BP60 by 50%), that I can oneshot her...

:toot:
I sadly missed capturing it, but Remilia does her crouch stance from the fighting Touhou games when she's hit. It's pretty adorable.

C-can I say "yes" here? Because if you were just fooling around...

Oh... :sigh:

Remilia: ...But it was fun. If an opportunity arises, we should play again.
Remilia: No, I should be more direct here. Come and play again.

Remilia: After that, shouldn't you cut your own path to your destiny? For fate is an ever-changing thing.

Well the mountain to the north would be the Youkai Mountain... since its the only actual mountain in Gensokyo.
Speaking to Remilia after this fight...

But you don't even have any nicknames on your own Puppets! One of the fairy maids mentions Remilia has a... unique... taste in nicknames. I'm not sure why they didn't actually give the Puppets nicknames, as Remilia's questionable naming sense is kind of a fanon joke.
I mean one of her spellcards is called "Bad Lady Scramble". Either way, Remilia is our nickname rater, and we can change the nicknames of our Puppets with her!

Not going to change anyone's name right now though. I did a bit of level grinding, but it was really just getting Yorihime and Sakuya up to 30 for their Style Change.

Let's raid her bedroom before we leave. As befitting a vampire, she has a coffin on her bed. I'm not sure if we know in canon if she actually does sleep in one, but it fits for a vampire I guess. The item on her desk is a Fate Thread, which is the Master Ball equivalent! ... Which, really, seems pointless because the basic Threads work well enough on anything already. I'm really not sure why other Threads exist.
Not sure if I mentioned it but there's four Threads: Seal Thread (Pokeball), Contract Thread (Great Ball), Oath Thread (Ultra Ball) and Fate Thread (Master Ball).

Oh right, lets beat up Meiling before we leave, just so we can say we did. She only has a Cirno and a Meiling, and naturally after the Koakuma, Patchouli, Sakuya and Remilia fights we've had to do... this isn't even a fight. Sorry Meiling :v:

I didn't capture it properly, but Aya actually runs off the screen to the right, after appearing on the left... only to reappear on the left again and then stop in front of us.

If you're not aware, several characters have mentioned us in a newspaper, and Aya's Bunbunmaru is the most famous newspaper in Gensokyo. So basically she has been following/stalking us from a distance ever since we arrived. Technically the Bunbunmaru in actual canon seems to have limited popularity, as Aya's writing style tends to inject a lot of her own opinions into her words or some such. For a short while she was successful in advertising it in the Human Village, alongside Kosuzu, but a smear campaign by Mamizou killed its success.

Aya: What do you think? Makes for an interesting article, huh?
Aya: From here, go down to the bridge at the lake's edge. Stick to the left and you'll reach Genbu Ravine. You can reach the hideout from the cave there.
Aya: Well then! May we meet again somewhere!

Well, we know where to go now. If you tried to go the Genbu Ravine earlier, there's a barrier in the way preventing your progress.

Now then, as for Aya... her full name is Aya Shameimaru, she's a Crow Tengu and the (only) writer of the Bunbunmaru Newspaper. She first appeared in the written works, Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red, and her first appearance in the games was a playable character in Phantasmagoria of Flower View, she's even the protagonist of her own spin-off games Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler! She is even a playable character in the newest Touhou game, Hidden Star in Four Seasons. There's the joke that Aya is ZUN's girlfriend due to her appearing (in some shape or form) in almost every Touhou game since she came out. I think ZUN even has a shirt that is similar to one of the one's Aya wears in the later series, but I might be wrong.

As for her powers and such, Aya has the ability to 'manipulate the wind'. The actual extent of this ability is, as usual, not really shown but she is capable of conjuring up small tornados and such as attacks in the fighting games, and it seems she can even "listen" to the wind to collect rumors. Its worth noting that while all Crow Tengu are known for being fast, Aya is known as being fast even by Crow Tengu standards, and considers herself the "fastest in Gensokyo". Evidently she's even faster then Remilia, who was capable of fly around the entire Moon in a short period of time, but how fast she can really go is unknown. There is some mention that Aya might also be among the most powerful youkai in Gensokyo, as many times when she's fighting she is only using a fraction of her actual power, and tends to win fights entirely by accident when she's only meaning to gather information and write for the Bunbunmaru.

Aya is also at least 1,000 years old, and is one of the few youkai in canon we know for sure to have resided in Gensokyo before it was created, so its entirely possible she really is one of the strongest youkai in Gensokyo.

Well! Let's get going to the Genbu -

BUT THERE WASN'T ANYONE THERE!

Oh so she has optical camo... this is actually something that Nitori, a named Kappa character that I'm sure we'll be meeting soon, actually has. She uses it in Mountain of Faith to render herself, well, completely invisible as she attacks the heroine.

Speak of the Nitori and she appears. But I'll talk about her when we run into the actual character, or at least capture a Puppet. The first Puppet used here was just a Sunny, nothing special.

Genbu Ravine

The Genbu Ravine was apparently formed when the Youkai Mountain was still an active volcano. The bottom level is covered in hexagonal cracks, which appears to look like a turtle shell from above, its also surrounded by six-sided cliffs. In fact, the Genbu Ravine is formed by an actual real world thing called "Columnar Jointing". Some kappa live here, in particular Nitori. In the later games, some pipes have been shown running along the walls, likely as a result of the kappa's technology advancing to use steam and nuclear energy.
We'll get into the nuclear energy thing later, but yes Gensokyo has nuclear power.

Well, that hardly seems fair. Also this being a new area, we have a new battle background, behold!

The water is actually animated a bit to give it the impression its flowing. Kind of neat.

I think we all know what time it is. :getin:

There isn't any Akyuu Puppets too close by though, the nearest one I know of is back in the SDM... so I'll have to show their stats later.

Komachi Onozuka is a Shinigami and the boat(wo)man of the Sanzu River. Her first appearance was in Phantasmagoria of Flower View as both a boss and a playable character. She has the ability to "manipulate distance" which is a twofold thing, she is both capable of actually manipulating the physical distance she wants to travel, and also someone else's perception of how far, or close, something is. It's unknown if all Shinigami who would ferry those across the Sanzu have this ability or not, as Komachi uses this power to manipulate how long, or short, it takes to ferry a dead soul across the Sanzu.

In spite of the fact she is, sort of, the Grim Reaper, Komachi is actually a pretty friendly individual, who is also fond of being pretty carefree about her job, prone to napping. Still, I guess you'd prefer to have a pretty friendly individual to ferry you to the afterlife, huh?

Some fun facts, as the ferryman of the Sanzu, Komachi owns a boat (well, Hell loaned her one) and its named "Titanic". She is also one of the few characters to be drawn with pretty obvious breasts in the Alphes artstyle, so fandom typically has portrayed her as a very busty character. In Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, she references Death Note twice, in one instance she mentions the idea of having a notebook that would kill anyone whose name is written in it, and in one of her victory quotes she talks about being able to see the remaining lifespans of individuals with her eyes, and offers to trade one to someone in exchange for half their life... this part about her eyes though is actually not entirely inaccurate, except Komachi herself doesn't have that ability. Shinigami that work in the Ministry of Right and Wrong actually have those kind of eyes. Whenever they trade one to people for half their life though, we're not sure.

Iku Nagae is an Oarfish youkai and serves as an envoy of the Dragon Palace in Heaven. Her appearance has been confined to the spin-off games only, first appearing as the penultimate boss of Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. Iku has the ability to 'read the atmosphere', rather then referring to the weather, this kind of ability is actually the social atmosphere. Her ability allows her to read and adapt to the mood of a situation right away, suggesting she is a pretty powerful speaker... which fits for being an envoy of the Dragon God. She also seems to have to borrow some of the power of the Dragon God, which is likely what allows her to lightning in her attacks.

Her spell card declaration poses resemble the dancing pose of John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever. They also seem to resemble Bass' lightning attack pose from MM6 and the start-up of the Great Mazinger's move Thunder Break.
The fandom has also already made fun of the fact that her name, "Iku", is also the sound effect associated with... well uh, climax.

Got our own Waggysaggy!

Called it. Nitori Kawashiro is a Kappa and an engineer, like a lot of other Kappa. She first appeared in Mountain of Faith as the stage 3 boss, where she used her optical camo to harass the heroine until it failed, and she was properly fought and defeated. Her personal ability is the manipulation of water, which is well, the manipulation of water, allowing her to use it in her attacks.

The Kappa as a race in Gensokyo are incredibly intelligent and possess a high level of technology, mostly due to their hobby of dismantling outsider tech that falls into Gensokyo and learning how it works so they can make it themselves. Kappa are described as being a bunch of insufferable geniuses though, priding themselves so much in their respective fields, that they actually are very poor in groups - this is shown in one of the written works by the fact they once tried to construct a dam, and kept blowing it up since kappa work very poorly in groups. Some of the technology in the series that is attributed to the kappa are the cameras used by Tengu like Aya and, perhaps the most famous, is the Nuclear Furnace located just above the Remains of Blazing Hell, where the kappa are attempting to develop and control nuclear fusion. We'll, uh, cover that a bit more when we run into a more central character involved in that.

This is a bit of a short update, but I think I'll end it here. Next time, we'll delve into the Ravine proper, and seek out the Kappa Hideout, so we can liberate it from Team Rocket!
I mean the Puppet Liberation Front.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

krisslanza posted:

The fandom has also already made fun of the fact that her name, "Iku", is also the sound effect associated with... well uh, climax.
The fandom is a dingus. Her name is a homophone of the verb that means "to go". It's a very common word, and its slang meaning is a marginal special case.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FractalSandwich posted:

The fandom is a dingus.
When has that ever not been the case, though?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Ah, Aya, why you face looks so punchable even here? Especially here.

And entire Nuclear Fusion process got hilarious beginnings and middle.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

krisslanza posted:

Let's raid her bedroom before we leave. As befitting a vampire, she has a coffin on her bed. I'm not sure if we know in canon if she actually does sleep in one, but it fits for a vampire I guess.

In Curiosities of Lotus Asia and Imperishable Night Remilia tells Reimu she doesn't sleep in a coffin because coffins are for the dead, but then later in the Oriental Sacred Place manga we get this page the coffin-bed is from:

FractalSandwich posted:

The fandom is a dingus. Her name is a homophone of the verb that means "to go". It's a very common word, and its slang meaning is a marginal special case.

The fandom's bad.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

In Curiosities of Lotus Asia and Imperishable Night Remilia tells Reimu she doesn't sleep in a coffin because coffins are for the dead, but then later in the Oriental Sacred Place manga we get this page the coffin-bed is from:

I really should get around to reading these manga. I've been seeing some bits and pieces of Wild and Horned Hermit only really.

NHO posted:

Ah, Aya, why you face looks so punchable even here? Especially here.

And entire Nuclear Fusion process got hilarious beginnings and middle.

Ayayayayayaya :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yaaay, a waggysaggy! That's my favorite, right there.

Planning on using it?

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Leraika posted:

Yaaay, a waggysaggy! That's my favorite, right there.

Planning on using it?

Not in particular, but if you like her, I might give it a try. I've just been using Puppets I've caught and stuff, mostly. I have too many favorites.
I mean if anyone wants me to use various Puppets, just ask.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

krisslanza posted:

Patchouli and one of the Scarlet sisters (idc if it's Remilia or Flandre), please.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

krisslanza posted:

Not in particular, but if you like her, I might give it a try. I've just been using Puppets I've caught and stuff, mostly. I have too many favorites.

Sure, if you don't mind.

I'm not sure if she's actually any good; been a while since I've played, but it'd be cool to give her a shot.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Looking at the type chart, Nether actually looks pretty overpowered on the offensive front.

Literally only a single type resisting it brings to mind Pokemon's Dragon type pre-Gen 6, to the point that you would easily see unresisted or almost unresisted type coverage just with Nether + a type that hits Light (i.e. Nether + Dark or Nether + Illusion) would be devastating in the same way that Dragon + Fire, Dragon + Ground, or Dragon + Fighting was until Fairy types showed up.

What exactly keeps it in check?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The fact that it sucks, mostly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Serious reply: I don't know much about competitive Pokemon or anything, but the main differences from Dragon would be that a) Nether types don't have higher stats on average, unlike Dragons, and b) Nether is defensively weak against a number of incredibly common types, unlike Dragon which is only weak to itself and a fairly rare type. Dragon is also resistant to several common types, while Nether isn't. There also aren't any particularly good Nether attacks. Frankly, even when I did an all-Nether team, I took off almost all of their Nether attacks, because there's almost never a scenario where you'd want to use them. "Not being resisted" doesn't strike me as all that useful compared to "hitting a weakness", especially if it's extremely likely that you'll be counterattacked with a weakness.

If you just want a type combination that can hit anything normally, just go with Normal/Illusion (ie: Reimu or Yukari). This combination is immune to both Normal and Illusion, can hit anything but Illusion with Normal, and is super-effective against Illusion with Illusion. Normal also has better moves than Nether.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 28, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

That kind of strikes me as Nether being this game's Ice, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
As per request, I have changed up our team a bit! It took an hour or so of grinding, wasn't too bad.

We're also in front of a cave. Which seems like a logical location for the actual Kappa Hideout to be. So let's go stop Team Ro- I mean, the Puppet Liberation Front!

NEW PUPPETS WE MUST BE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. Also this is Flandre's special costume. I want to say it was used in a music video... it seems vaguely familiar, but I can't quite place it at the moment.

As before, there isn't a handy nearby Akyuu Doll, so I can't really show off the stats on the one we caught at the moment.
Kisume is in the same kind of category of mid-bosses like Koakuma or Daiyousei, in she's well, a mid-boss that we don't know an awful lot about. We do know she's a tsurube-otoshi a type of youkai that waits for humans to drop by then... drops down on them quickly, in an attempt to eat their head. Her only ability is controlling will-o-wisps, which she uses in her debut game (Subterranean Animism) to send out a shower of danmaku from her head.

There are ghosts here :gonk:
There was a number of them back in the Myouren Temple Cemetery as well, but I didn't really fight any of them then to show off the artwork.

If it wasn't for the fact fate has decided we have to come here, I'd really reconsider my attempts to rescue these kappa from the Puppet Liberation Front. They don't seem to be very friendly.

Although, gotta admit, that would sound kind of rad... but we probably don't want to become a combat cyborg...

Skill Card 74 is just to the left of Nami. It contains the Skill, Shark Trade, a Dark-type move that inflicts no damage but exchanges your held item for the opponent's. Certainly a niche use, but Rinnosuke sells a few items that do pretty bad things (Like making you always go second), but using this I guess you could just hand them off to the opponent. Or, naturally, just deprive them of a beneficial held item.

Kappa: They're running wild, doing whatever they want. It's just awful. I'm looking for someone willing to help us, but... Can you help us?
Kappa: It's alright! The way to reach the hideout is a little special, but if you ask me, I'll take you whenever you want!

When did we become your sworn friend anyway? Well, I guess we might as well help... we're not gonna get far in this game otherwise. :v:

Well that was quick and easy. Well let's go bust up Rumia and crew, how hard could it possibly be!?

They have a nearby rest spot with healing, a peddler and an Akyuu Doll. At least this means I can show off that Kisume we caught earlier!

Time to go liberate some kappa though. We'll doubtlessly pick up more Puppets along the way.

This telescope is off to the left, its a held item that increases your accuracy as long as your Puppet moves after the opponent.

Is it Swordfish? No? Darn. I'm not sure why we can't just attack her to get inside the building, but I guess since she won't duel us, we're too nice to challenge her to a duel.

The Liberation Front really has gone and liberated this place good. A few of the Liberation Front members will duel us, but they're nothing to write home about. I'm sure that'll change once we run into some named ones.

That sounds like very fairy-like behavior, to be honest. She's just playing at being a part of the Liberation Front!

This Liberation member has a new Puppet we haven't seen before! Kagiyama Hina. Kind of odd, she's the first Liberation Front member to not be using a fairy Puppet, come to think of it...

Well this looks like an important gathering.

Nitori: ... Hmm. I don't know what you mean by "that".
Luna: She's right, Sunny. She won't understand if you just say "that".
Luna: We need to get the optical camouflage. With that we can operate without being seen.
Sunny: ...Eh?
Star: Hehehe. That's right. Thanks to that optical camouflage, we can surprise people all we want! And we'll never lose at hide and seek!

You've been replaced by kappa technology Sunny! Although to be fair, Sunny's power only works on sunlight specifically, where as Kappa optical camouflage works like, well, proper stealth camo and bends all sources of light.

Or what? You'll torture all the helpless kappa!? You evil fairies!

Oh.

Puppet Liberation Front Admins

Well, they have a lot of Puppets, but they don't have the levels of Remilia's I hope... Sunny goes down in a single hit. This should be easy!

Or not.

You know, I'd say that's not a good sign...

Or the fact she just took Flandre out in one hit, without even a super effective. Though, to be fair, Power Star is well, packing a lot of power, and Flandre is kind of a glass cannon.

Turns out Atomic Energy is actually a Light move. I probably should've looked that up before throwing away one of my highest level Puppets to a OHKO...

Item spam later, finally took down Star! I really didn't have anything that good against her. Pache was about the best, but Atomic Energy still hits her for a boatload of damage. Atomic Energy heals Star for half the inflicted damage, so it took a while even with a super effective Nature-type skill.

Man, the game really lulls you into a false sense of security with that opening Sunny Milk, doesn't it? This Speed Luna has the Ability "Sanguine", which turns the weather to Aurora. I sadly, have no clue what the weather effects really do. I'd assume this one might be boosting Light-type moves, but I'm not sure.

Dancing Wind has a 10% chance to raise all of her stats, but that aside it isn't really hurting Pache... issue is, we're not really hurting her either. After shes does get a stat boost though...

Infinite Scales is a Sound-type move that gets a boost in strength proportional to the number of times you've increased your stats. I'm not sure on the numbers, but it's able to do nearly 70 damage to Patchouli, given Luna increased all of her stats (5 stat ups at once) with a successful secondary on Dancing Wind. Much like Star, I'm lacking any real good counters to Star, Koakuma was my best, but she got oneshot by Infinite Scales when I swapped her in, as I didn't expect the Infinite Scales combo :v:

I'm bad at typing and forget Mokou is now weak to Sound, who nearly gets oneshot. On the flipside, we take out Speed Luna! She had a Sapphire Hairpin equipped, which oddly boosts Water-moves, which she hasn't actually been using yet. Given Mokou was a switch-in at the start of the turn, she either has no Water moves, or with the Dancing Wind proc, Infinite Scales is still more damage then a Water move due to the super effective bonus.

Oh god a breather :v:

So we've seen two Style Change'd versions of themselves, and now all three non-Style. I get the feeling that last Puppet is a Style Changed Sunny Milk...

I called that, at least! Still, Mokou doesn't have the best moves for this, but...

Waggysaggy does! And she's decently tanky, hopefully...

Sunny is only using Diffusion Laser, which Speed Waggysaggy has a resistance too, where as Lazy Mist really tears into Sunny. :getin:

Not going to lie, I was actually a bit worried that fight. I'm really, REALLY not used to being challenged in a Pokemon-style game. It seems like not too many updates ago, I was worried Mokou was going to carry us through the game. But she really hasn't been, she's strong and all, but the 'boss' fights have some pretty strong, varied teams that I can't really just straight up sweep.

All that for some lousy Copper Coins. :colbert:

Sunny: Hey, did you hear about a strong human other than Reimu and them? Isn't this that human the ice fairy was talking about?
Star: L-Let's retreat for now. It's better to regroup first. Come on, hurry up you two!

Nitori: We have to reward you for this. Come in the house for a bit. I'll give you something good.

Something... good? In your house? Oh my! Scandalous! :wiggle:

There isn't even a bed in here. We aren't getting that kind of reward, are we?

:woop:
The Inflatable Boat is, well, our item for good old Surf. This will help us reach some items, and also some new areas to explore. There was a path to the Forest of Magic on the way to the Kappa Hideout, but you have to cross water. That aside, Nitori also gives us our next plot hook...

Nitori: The Moriya Shrine is at the summit too, so you may want to offer prayers to the gods there. Maybe they can make your wishes come true.

So the Youkai Mountain it is next then! I do want to get some of the new Puppets we could find in the Forest of Magic, but that's kind of out of the way... there'll be plenty of new Puppets to talk about on the Youkai Mountain anyway, I'm sure.

• Locked thread