Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

KataraniSword posted:

Ah, yes. The "Moonbitch" discourse, as I remember it from the days when Silent Sinner in Blue was getting translated. Toyohime and Yorihime's hate is, depending on interpretation, pretty drat justified - they show up, effortlessly curbstomp the most popular characters in the franchise at the time (Yorihime basically beats down Remilia and Marisa without breaking a sweat, and then proceeds to out-shrine-maiden Reimu when she's Actually Serious; Yorihime manages to take on Yukari and Ran at the same time with no issues whatsoever) and then proceed to do little more than smug themselves around the entire rest of SSiB. Their hatedom was pretty much inevitable from that point forward. Cries of "Mary Sue" and "deus ex machina" were (and probably still are) rampant.

Not even the reveal of Yukari outwitting all of them at once (the whole thing was a long con; Remilia's moon attack was a distraction for Yukari's own offensive which itself was a distraction to let Yuyuko sneak into the Lunar Capital totally undetected just to piss off Eirin) really took much of the heat off of them. It sucks, because they're not really bad characters, for Touhou. They just come on way too strong.

I kind of appreciated SSiB, because my take-away on it was that power levels are bullshit and just when you're getting ready to be dark and serious is probably a good time to have a drinking pool party. It seemed very Touhou to me. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread