Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

krisslanza posted:

Yes, that is a Puppet riding on a missile. Ruukoto herself is a character from the PC-98 era, who appears to be a nuclear-powered maid that Reimu gets. The missile is called Mimi-chan, I think, but I'm not entirely sure on the backstory about all of that. There aren't any Ruukotos for us to catch on Route 5 though, so we'll leave that mystery for another day.

A bit late (since I just found this thread) but I can answer this one: at the end of Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream, the final boss offers to grant a wish for whoever the player character was.

Reimu, being the lazy rear end she is, wished for a robot maid to clean the shrine for her. (She explicitly thinks of Multi, a character from the To Heart series, albeit with the obvious "we are making fun of this" censors you find in Japanese media). She gets Ruukoto.

Marisa, being Marisa, wishes for the strongest weapon the outside world has to offer. She gets a smiling ICBM nicknamed Mimi-chan. (The TH wiki tells me that's a reference to a manga named Mitsunaide Daisy, but I don't have any way to confirm that, really.)

Since neither of them are really stand-alone characters on their own, each being featured in a single ending in a PC-98 game almost nobody bothered to play, FocasLens obviously slapped them together into one puppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ah, yes. The "Moonbitch" discourse, as I remember it from the days when Silent Sinner in Blue was getting translated. Toyohime and Yorihime's hate is, depending on interpretation, pretty drat justified - they show up, effortlessly curbstomp the most popular characters in the franchise at the time (Yorihime basically beats down Remilia and Marisa without breaking a sweat, and then proceeds to out-shrine-maiden Reimu when she's Actually Serious; Yorihime manages to take on Yukari and Ran at the same time with no issues whatsoever) and then proceed to do little more than smug themselves around the entire rest of SSiB. Their hatedom was pretty much inevitable from that point forward. Cries of "Mary Sue" and "deus ex machina" were (and probably still are) rampant.

Not even the reveal of Yukari outwitting all of them at once (the whole thing was a long con; Remilia's moon attack was a distraction for Yukari's own offensive which itself was a distraction to let Yuyuko sneak into the Lunar Capital totally undetected just to piss off Eirin) really took much of the heat off of them. It sucks, because they're not really bad characters, for Touhou. They just come on way too strong.

krisslanza posted:

Eirin Yagokoro is a medical genius and one of the instrumental members in the forming of the Lunar society in the first place. Eirin has the ability to create any drug, the only notable exception being she needs Kaguya to make the Hourai Elixir, but is otherwise capable of making just about anything to cure just about anything. As mentioned about Eientei, Eirin sells her medicine to anyone who needs it, and doesn't seem too fussed about payment either, often being patient enough to wait for you to pay her. As mentioned in Kaguya's backstory, Eirin was one of the emissaries sent to retrieve Kaguya, but she instead murdered the other emissaries and fled with her. The other emissaries that were sent with her, were probably moon rabbits, and their killing seems to be an incredibly minor crime amongst the Lunarians, given it is never really brought up... the Lunarians seem to view the moon rabbits as rather disposable anyhow, and Eirin has said she has no problem with killing moon rabbits again if she has too.

Interestingly, as an aside about Lunarians in relation to Eirin, one of ther spellcards is called "Apollo 13", with the title of "Curse of the Heavens", suggesting it wasn't mechanical failure, but Lunarian sabotage that prevented the Apollo 13 mission from succeeding. Anyway, there isn't nearly as much to say about Eirin, compared to Kaguya. She has a minor relation to two other Lunarians though... but we'll get to that later.

:eng101: ZUN has made vague hints and nods at the idea that Eirin is actually the Shinto god Omoikane, god of wisdom and intelligence. She's noted as being the oldest living Lunarian, even older than Tsukiyomi (briefly-mentioned ruler of the Lunar Capital and Shinto god of the moon), and several of her spell cards reference Omoikane. There's nothing more concrete than that, mind you, but it's as solid as the Apollo 13 nod.

krisslanza posted:

Skill Card 78 teaches "Continue", which fully heals your Puppet, including status effects. But they become unable to act for two turns. So certainly not good if whatever you're fighting can kill you in two hits.

In other words, it's Rest.

I have to admit, I appreciate it being renamed into a nod towards the Continue mechanic; if you can't do a 1CC then continuing probably isn't gonna help you as much as you want it to.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

krisslanza posted:

Dare I ask? :ohdear:

It's a bad game.

To put it into more words, the Strawberry Bose games (Genius of Sappheros, Devil of Decline, and Nightmare of Rebellion) are what happens when you make a Touhou fan game based off of the SaGa gamestyle. It does not end well, though Sappheros is the one more infamous to me since it made Satori into a Blue Mage styled character but required absurd grinding and a walkthrough in order to get her spells that weren't terrible.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Clarste posted:

I actually thought Sappheiros was pretty good (never used Satori though), but Devil of Decline was just bad. Also I think calling the games "SaGa-based" is a bit weird since they only share a very few mechanics and generally feel nothing at all like a SaGa game.

Yeah, looking at the wiki only Sappheiros was at all like SaGa and that was mostly due to a levelless system; the other games don't seem to even have that.EDIT: i am bad and dumb. It would probably be better for me to call them "16-bit JRPGs".

Regarding Satori, imagine a blue mage who might learn spells when they hit her. As in when the spell hits you have a RNG chance of learning it, only rolled the first time the spell hits per battle. Some of the spells have a 1% learning rate. She also has like a million learnable spells, but only a handful of them are any good.

She's basically a completionist's worst nightmare.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 2, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Clarste posted:

Sappheiros had levels though. The only SaGa things it had were Life Points and I'm told that formations are a SaGa thing?

:confused: I could have swore there was a levelless Touhou JRPG fangame. That's my bad for getting it confused.

Party Formations that affect character stats are absolutely something that was in the Romancing SaGa games, but calling it a "SaGa thing" is kind of like saying "oh those textboxes look like the ones in the Romancing SaGa series so this is a SaGa game".

Sorry for the derail; I do remember all three Strawberry Bose games getting various levels of hate (most of Sappheiros's was due to Satori, which is why I remember it/her so vividly) but I fell out of the fangame stuff not long after Devil of Decline came out.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 2, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

a cartoon duck posted:

The knife thing is just some fan meme made almost entirely out of whole cloth.

Yeah, in canon the scolding is never elaborated on, but since Sakuya is basically Maidio Brando, skillset-wise, the knives are the obvious assumption everyone goes with.

At the same time, fan memes are a good 75% of Touhou by this point, up to and including occasional fan ideas being canonicized (see Great Fairy Daiyousei and Little Devil Koakuma, or Tewi's penchant for trolling literally everyone, though the latter is a bit chicken-or-egg given the Hare of Inaba legends)

As an aside, Cirno's representation in TH16 is explicitly named "Tanned Cirno", so there's speculation that it could possibly not be the Strongest we know and meme about.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Of all the things in this game, I did not expect to see the PC-98 Doofy Ghosts. :allears: Easily the best part of the PC-98 games that hasn't shown up in the Windows era. Mima? Who's that?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptianKatsura posted:

Suzaku makes all attacks/abilities with healing effects hurt the user instead, Byakko makes all attacks have 100% accuracy but prevents crits from happening, and Kohryu is weird and I don't understand the wiki's description enough to explain it.

The manual translation makes it sound like the Magic Room to Genbu's Trick Room. Also it looks like Seiryuu doesn't work on type nullification, just resistance/weakness. In other words, it won't make Poison work on Steel, or Illusion on Void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

krisslanza posted:

:suicide:
You're right in hindsight. I guess I just imagined she did, but she's one of those portrait-less midbosses like Koakuma or Daiyousei... at least until she showed up in the manga.

You might be thinking of Fantasy Maiden Wars, which, naturally, takes a lot more liberties with pretty much everything.

Also, yeah, Leftovers were one of the very few hold items in Gen 2 Pokemon (where the concept originated). Others include Quick Claw, Scope Lens, Amulet Coin, trade evolution items, and the basic healing/status cure berries.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 17, 2017

• Locked thread