Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yorihime obviously.

Changing it to Mokou, since she actually has a chance at this point.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

Randomly scrolling up and down and picking what ever I stopped on gives me Yuugi Hoshiguma.

A fine choice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Changing my vote to Mokou now because she actually has a chance.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Everything works exactly like Pokemon except PP makes everything more convenient. So yes, STAB exists. Almost every puppet learns their first STAB move at level 7. Dream isn't actually like Normal, because almost no puppets are Dream type (actually, I think it might literally be no one until the the expansion, which introduces Doremy). So it's a purely neutral type that no one has a STAB advantage for. Yin and Yang Energy are pretty much its only attacks too, and just exist to have a low level Focus and Spread attack.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 14, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

krisslanza posted:

I guess that makes sense. Looking it up, Dream isn't even resisted or effective against anything, so its technically a bit better then Normal in a sense I guess. No STAB though is a thing.
I'm surprised at how tough Mokou is. My first test run was with Koakuma, and I didn't know about the Cookie, so Marisa beat the crap out of her.

Not all Touhous are created equal, although there's another system in place to kind of balance that out. I wouldn't mind explaining more about it as it comes up, depending on how you feel about that as the LPer.

rannum posted:

When does the "emblem" and "Y:Lv. 50" listings in the stat screens become relevant

The "emblem" is basically their nature in Pokemon: it picks a stat for them to be 10% better at (the blue number on their stat screen). There's no negative stat though. The "Y:Lv. 50" just means you can press Y on the stat screen to see what their stats would be like at level 50, which is what it normalizes to in competitive battling, etc. Mostly it just lets you easily compare puppets of different levels.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 14, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

krisslanza posted:

Would that be related to Reincarnation? If it isn't, probably best to just save it for when it becomes relevant in the gameplay I suppose.

It's not related to Reincarnation. I'll explain it when it first comes up then.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shard of Dreams is just a straight up upgrade. Kind of a remake, actually.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

someone awful. posted:

So if this is like Pokemon, do status effects reduce stats too? E.g., if we burned someone would their Focus Attack stat drop a lot?

Yes and no. The status ailments are split up in a slightly odd way. It's kind of related to what Krisslanza mentioned about being "badly Burnt" but I don't think it's appropriate to got into detail about this yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The leader of the Puppet Liberation Front should be obvious by now. Anyway, I was expecting you to have a screenshot of the Puppetdex. There's a stat there that's sort of relevant to what I wanted to say. Oh well.

In other news, I find it odd that you spend most of your time explaining who characters are and completely skim over revamping your entire party. Like, not even a stat page screenshot for the new girls. What Type is Akyu? The masses want to know, maybe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Anyway, what I wanted to point out is the Cost stat. In many ways it's just Weight from Pokemon, in that it interacts with a few specific moves, but it's also generally important to everything you do. Cost ranges from 80 to 130, and loosely corresponds to how powerful the character is in canon. Like, Yukari is 130 while people who can barely fight are 80. This also roughly corresponds to what stage you fight them in the shooting games, but there are plenty of exceptions.

Anyway, the main point of this is that characters with higher cost simply have better stats. Someone with 110 cost like Mokou will, at the same level, always be significantly stronger than someone like Daiyousei at 80. Yet weaker than powerhouses at 130. However, to balance this out, characters with low cost will level up way faster. To put that in perspective, an 80 cost puppet receiving half XP from the back row will level up faster than a 130 cost character who participates in every single battle. I've played this game plenty of times, often with gimmick teams, and I actually found an all-fairy team of 80 cost characters significantly easier than stacking my team with the "best" characters, because they end up 30 levels ahead by the end.

So that's why Mokou feels so much stronger than Koakuma at level 5.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 16, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

krisslanza posted:

Aaah so that's what that Cost meant. I never heard of Weight in Pokemon, but the last one I actually really played was... X or Y, I think. The PokeFrance one.
That also does explain why when checking their stats at 50, some of these Cost 80 Touhous even with an S rank in their stat, had lower stats then Mokou did. The leveling curve thing is interesting though, and that being 'easier' makes some sense to me, if only because when I typically play Pokemon, I rely so heavily on my starter, that it usually ends up being in the 90's, if not 99, by the time I hit the E4 which makes the game a breeze from being massively overleveled.

I am trying to avoid overleveling in TPDP to keep the fights interesting though. I'm still surprised how badly Reimu thrashed me in that last update, even fully expecting the fight.

Weight's always just been a meaningless stat in the Pokedex since the first game, but there are a couple of moves in Pokemon that interact with it (deal more damage with higher weight, etc). Cost is way more important in this game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

krisslanza posted:

I never noticed this until you pointed it out.
I really need to start learning the type chart, I keep referencing the wiki since its hard to break myself into it since I'm so used to Pokemon typing.

You should probably just post a picture of the type chart here too, honestly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Void" is a bit of a mistranslation that bugs me a bit about this patch. I'd say the intent is much closer to "Null Type" or "Typeless". It's basically Normal, which you can also see in the type chart. Steel also has a slightly different connotation than it does in Pokemon, since it basically means "uses swords".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Tailor opens up after you deliver Alice's package. It's implied that Alcie is the one making all the doll clothes. The alt. costumes were released in the first major patch after the game was released.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Use the Captain, obviously. Negative Aura is a nice skill for her too, since at least one of her evolutions (er... "Style Changes") is Nether type, so it negates a weakness to Dark. That plus Nether's innate immunity to Fighting makes her a really good switcher.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah, this is a kind of random time to mention it, but Hold Items that sound like they get used up actually don't. They're all infinite use, just once per battle. This is unlike Pokemon. You saw some of them in Rinnosuke's shop a few updates ago.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That was explained incredibly poorly. The joke was that Miko gave an incredibly passionate speech about something boring that no one cared about. So to spice it up, Aya plagiarized an article about the outside world (ie: Trump) and changed a couple of words so it'd make more sense. So Miko has nothing to do with Trump, Aya was just trying to cash in on the controversy ratings. And then she later writes a correction before deciding not publish it at all.

Not to say that the magazine isn't incredibly political. The Lunarians are used as an example of a xenophobic society full of assholes.

Edit: Okay, I should probably explain the context of all this. ZUN recently released a new Touhou artbook, and much like some of the previous ones it takes the form of a newspaper that describes what various characters are doing. However, this time it's supposed to be a tabloid magazine, so it's filled with exaggerations, lies, advertisements, and a bunch of other things you absolutely shouldn't take at face value. It's mostly meant to be a satire of modern society. Near the end of it is a long interview with Hecatia, the goddess of Hell, where she talks a lot about immigration issues framed in fantasy terms, like Clownpiece being an immigrant from Hell. During the interview, Hecatia basically shames Aya about the role of the media in spreading harmful lies in the name of ratings, and Aya never publishes the magazine at all.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 25, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think Miko honestly thinks she's the best and most qualified person to rule the world, and that the world would honestly benefit from her rule. But if it doesn't need her yet, then she's in no big hurry because frankly governing stuff is kind of a pain. Whether she's right about that or not is a separate issue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Watasukis act exactly like Yukari and other popular, powerful characters though, so I don't really see why being smug should be a mark against them. And, well, technically they're just defending themselves when we meet them. While there are plenty of reasons to hate Lunarians in general, if you go into all their beliefs and whatnot, I think the reason they're hated in the fandom is just pure tribalism. They beat the team people were rooting for and therefore they must be destroyed.

Anyway, Mokou is the first boss of the game and actually kind of hard in normal circumstances. Mostly because her final puppet is the first evolved puppet you'll encounter in the game, and you'll normally be slightly below the level where you can Style Change. I've had to use a lot of creative strategies to beat her in some of my games, especially if you choose a starter who's vulnerable to fire. Also, iirc, she has both Keine and Futo on her team, which are very interesting choices. Actually, could you try to show us what the teams used by named characters are? There are some references and whatnot hidden in in just the team comp.

Also, you're like totally skipping over all battles forever, which is kind of weird since that's the bulk of the game. On the other hand, that's also kind of why I decided not to LP this way back when: most of the game is probably kind of boring to watch. I do think the game is much more interesting if you try to avoid overleveling though, and I would personally recommend never fighting a wild puppet except to capture it. Also buy a billion repels because you'll need them soon.

Oh yeah, Styles. Styles are permanent "evolutions" that change the puppet's type, stats, abilities, and the skills they'll learn after 30. I would recommend not spending any points in stats until they Style Change because sometimes their main attacking stat changes. Each base puppet has 2 possible Styles (3 in the expansion), and they're named things like Power, Defense, Speed, and Assist, but those are just broad descriptions. Each puppet's individual Styles are totally unique to them, and the fact that it's called Power or whatever won't necessarily hint at its gimmick.

KataraniSword posted:

:eng101: ZUN has made vague hints and nods at the idea that Eirin is actually the Shinto god Omoikane, god of wisdom and intelligence. She's noted as being the oldest living Lunarian, even older than Tsukiyomi (briefly-mentioned ruler of the Lunar Capital and Shinto god of the moon), and several of her spell cards reference Omoikane. There's nothing more concrete than that, mind you, but it's as solid as the Apollo 13 nod.

Well, considering that Omoikane's full name is Yagokoro-no-Omoikane, it's about explicit as ZUN ever gets.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 28, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shard of Dreams actually has an even worse level curve. Even while avoiding unnecessary battles, you'll still probably end up higher level than the bosses. With your entire team.

krisslanza posted:

Also Mokou's team in the first fight is just a Keine, Kagerou and Mokou I think. She had those three in the rematch at least, so I don't suspect she would've changed much.

I was probably thinking of the expansion, where they give her Sumireko for very important reasons.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 28, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No, actually, it adds a brand new dungeon and boss that you visit before Kourindou. Which makes the SDM come even later. It also adds a brief optional area where you go through the Dream World to visit the Lunar Capital (replacing that weird little room in the forest where you find the Yorihime puppets).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Escape rates are absurdly high in this game anyway. Even without the item I have at least a 90% escape rate. And remember, I'm the guy who's running away from literally every single battle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

krisslanza posted:

Using the wild Puppets as an example, I wonder if that's what they want you to be around for the 'boss' fights, meaning they kind of want you to be 5 levels or so under them. But then again, not really sure, as being near the boss' levels makes them kind of easy. On the other hand, you can spend PP to boost your stats, so even if you are 5-10 levels under a boss (in theory) you can probably compensate that way... but then again, you only get all that PP from the wild Puppets, which means you're gaining levels as well...

Bosses use PP too. By the endgame, every boss has puppets with S ranks in every stat and perfectly allocated PP. You might not have realized this yet, but you can only allocate 130 PP max, up to 64 in any one stat. If you're familiar with Pokemon, it's just EV except you can choose where to allocate it instead of having to do weird things.

Also, you get way more PP than you need just from fighting all the mandatory trainers in your way. By the end of the game, even rushing through skipping as much as possible, you're going to have max PP on every puppet and nothing to spend it on, guaranteed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I said a while ago that I'd discuss status ailments when they become relevant, but at this rate I don't think they'll ever become relevant, so:

Unlike Pokemon, a puppet can have two ailments at once. Not two or more, exactly two. So you can be both Burned and Paralyzed at the same time, for example. However, they also made each ailment have half the effect it used to have (broadly speaking). So Burn doesn't lower Attack anymore, but there's a new ailment called Blind which does. And there's a common move that applies both Burn and Blind at the same time, which replicates the effect of Burn in Pokemon. Likewise, Paralysis only halves your Speed, etc. Some ailments can be stacked twice for additional effects. In general, the good moves that only apply ailments cause two at once, while moves that deal damage with a chance of ailment only cause one. Here's a list a of them:

Burn: Caused by Fire moves, and Fire Types are immune to it. Deals 1/8 of max HP every turn. Can be stacked to make it double its damage each turn (ie: the effect of Toxic from Pokemon).

Poison: Caused by Poison moves. Exactly like Burn in every way, except Poison types are immune to it instead.

Paralysis: Caused by Lightning moves and Lightning Types are immune. Halves speed. In the expansion, it can also be stacked to reduce evasion to 0.

Weakness: Caused by Water moves. Prevents healing. In the expansion it can also be stacked, but I can't remember what that does because it's so absurdly irrelevant (apparently it makes moves cost 2 uses).

Blind: Caused by Dark moves. Halves Focus Attack.

Fear: Caused by Nether moves. Halves Spread Attack.

Confuse: Caused by Light moves. 50% chance of doing nothing on your turn (you don't deal damage to yourself, you just skip a turn). Doesn't actually use up a slot.

Stop: A special ailment that always uses two slots. It's Sleep. Dream types are immune.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 30, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Having been inspired to replay this game, I can say that the level curve is actually broken in a really complex way. At some points it's too easy, and other points too hard. Mokou is definitely a roadblock for a lot of runs, because if your starter is weak to fire, it's easy to get into a situation where she just sweeps your entire team. And on my last run I got into a situation where I was 20+ levels above the bosses for half the game, but then the final boss caught up anyway and was quite a challenge (although partly because I was doing a monotype Nether run, and Nether is objectively the worst type for a variety of reasons).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I honestly have no idea who's even in your party other than Mokou, and you haven't told us what moves she has or anything. And did her ability change when she changed Styles? They often do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The gameplay is literally just Pokemon with some streamlining, such as being able to see IVs on the stat page, assign EVs freely, change movesets/abilities from anywhere, use tools instead of HMs (keep in mind that this game came out years before Sun and Moon), etc etc. Most if not all of its skills and abilities are clones of ones from Pokemon, and I'm pretty sure it uses the exact same damage calculations and such too. If you like the gameplay in Pokemon, you'll like the gameplay here. The level curve can be a bit screwy sometimes, but when it's challenging it's challenging, and I personally find that kind of thing fun. It helps that, unlike Pokemon, bosses tend to use their friends instead of focusing on a single Type, so you don't get into the situation where you just switch in one guy to steamroll an entire dungeon. It also uses the Set rule from Pokemon (cannot switch for free after KOing an enemy) instead of the Switch rule, which I didn't really realize until I played this completely breaks Pokemon in two. There's a lot of strategy involved in switching, which I find interesting.

Personally, I've played this game a lot, like a dozen times or so, and I get most of my enjoyment from making weird gimmick teams. Like all fairies, or all redheads. Once I made a team using a random number generator. I... probably wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't already a fan of Touhou, but I've also abandoned more terrible Touhou fangames than I can count so it must be doing something right.

It also seems to have been designed with a competitive scene in mind, for whatever that's worth.

Edit: I would say its biggest flaws are terrible dungeon design (somewhat fixed in the expansion), some strange choices for the type chart (why is Nether so awful?), and perhaps most importantly the fact that it's impossible to tell a puppet's type just by looking at it. Which was made even worse by the expansion, which added an extra style to every single puppet. One of the first patches added a "splash" effect that showed you the type of an evolved puppet when they enter the battle, but it's only their primary type so it's still a guessing game. And/or a "look them up on the wiki" game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 1, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also, maybe it's just me but I don't think collecting/hoarding is actually a big thing in this game at all. You've got your 2% rares and whatnot, but there are no legendaries or event puppets, and even the rares can be chosen as your starter if you don't want to bother finding them. And I don't think you can even trade with other people at all? Getting a 100% compendium is so trivial that it's not really engaging, imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Enemies never use the costumes. My guess is that they probably considered having different sprites for the different styles, but ultimately decided to just make costumes instead (since that's exactly as much work for them, and more customization for the player). And since the sprites are animated, it's a bit more work than it was back in the romhack days.

Incidentally, this game was made by the same people who did one of the gba romhacks. Just for the record.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

krisslanza posted:

I don't think having like, Chibi Puppets, normal Puppets, and some having Extra Puppets would make as much sense. TPDP seems to try its best to ensure all Puppets are equal-ish and viable. Making evolutions would kind of unbalance it a bit, I think, as not all Puppets would have an Extra form.

To be fair, "Normal" Style is super weak and one of the main reasons all trainers are chumps for a while after you hit 30. So that's no different from evolving.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I actually thought Sappheiros was pretty good (never used Satori though), but Devil of Decline was just bad. Also I think calling the games "SaGa-based" is a bit weird since they only share a very few mechanics and generally feel nothing at all like a SaGa game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sappheiros had levels though. The only SaGa things it had were Life Points and I'm told that formations are a SaGa thing?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think there was another RPG starring Tenshi that was much more influenced by SaGa. I wanna say it was called Tendou Blade...? Anyway, it was boring and bad and kind of unmemorable.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's relative to their species, so the D- just means that this is a particularly slow Chen, not that Chen is slow. She's pretty fast, iirc.

There are 16 ranks, from E- to S, and each increase in rank basically increases their base stat by 1. Or something along those lines. The starter has A+ in everything, which is not quit the best it could be but pretty close.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 9, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Technically, Eirin will be there too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zebrin posted:

That said, on the actual game being played... it really looks like the game devs meant for you to go to the SDM before Eintei, changed their minds, and then forgot to reset the levels. How very odd. It got fixed in the expansion though I assume. Either way, it makes for a difficulty spike, followed by a valley.

It's more like the actual bosses have decent levels (usually), and the filler in between them are useless trash designed mostly to wear you down.

Regarding its nature as a fan game that you need to buy, the gist of it is that ZUN has an open license allowing other people to use his characters and settings subject to certain limitations. Doujin culture is more complicated than that, but that's another topic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh, huh. I kind of remember Remilia's difficulty spike being fixed in a patch. I guess not. It shouldn't be too hard for your team though, since Remilia takes 4x damage from Steel, and Sakuya learns a priority Steel move at level 30, no matter which style you choose.

As a general philosophy I guess, I prefer to have tanky characters who can deal things like paralysis in addition to fast characters who can kill everything. Because a fast character can do literally nothing against someone who's higher level than them, while a tanky character at least has some options.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be honest, I'd rather have the game be hard than easy, and I've never had a team I wasn't able to overcome this with somehow (without just grinding until I'm higher level than her).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 16, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I meant in terms of strategy, not strength. For example, Kosuzu can learn a skill that gives priority to all Status moves, which she can use to paralyze or blind Remilia. That sort of thing.

But I agree that this is one of very few actually challenging bosses in the game, and there's no way that the trash between bosses will ever be challenging at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You can't put more than 64 points in speed anyway (130 in all your stats, total). I usually split it 50/50 between their attacking stat and either Speed or HP, depending on whether their base speed is enough to ever outspeed anything.

• Locked thread