Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The fact that it sucks, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Serious reply: I don't know much about competitive Pokemon or anything, but the main differences from Dragon would be that a) Nether types don't have higher stats on average, unlike Dragons, and b) Nether is defensively weak against a number of incredibly common types, unlike Dragon which is only weak to itself and a fairly rare type. Dragon is also resistant to several common types, while Nether isn't. There also aren't any particularly good Nether attacks. Frankly, even when I did an all-Nether team, I took off almost all of their Nether attacks, because there's almost never a scenario where you'd want to use them. "Not being resisted" doesn't strike me as all that useful compared to "hitting a weakness", especially if it's extremely likely that you'll be counterattacked with a weakness.

If you just want a type combination that can hit anything normally, just go with Normal/Illusion (ie: Reimu or Yukari). This combination is immune to both Normal and Illusion, can hit anything but Illusion with Normal, and is super-effective against Illusion with Illusion. Normal also has better moves than Nether.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 28, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This is when the game opens up a lot, and I'm not entirely sure if I like that that or not. The Inflatable Boat lets you go to all sorts of optional areas, but it's kind of too much at once, imo.

Anyway, the Three Fairies are absolutely destroyed by anything Illusion Type. Because they're all Light, obviously. Dark doesn't really work because Star is tanky enough to survive and counter. Also, pretty sure Sunny's power works on all light, not just sunlight. There's a notable moment in one of the comics where she deflects a laser from Yukari.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

serefin99 posted:

Fun fact, the abilities that trigger the weather effects are named after the four temperaments (sanguine, choleric, melancholic, phlegmatic), while the moves that trigger them are named after China's Four Gods (Seiryū, Suzaku, Byakko, and Genbu). Of course, the sequel continues the trend, with Sunshower's ability being the oft-unused Supine temperament, while its move is named after Kōryū, who often gets left out of Japanese media using the 4 Gods.

Um, the Chinese gods are actually entirely separate from the weather. It's like, uh, some kind of secondary weather. They call it Terrain, and it fills in the bottom half of a Yin-Yang orb, underneath the Weather (look at the screenshots with Aurora and you should be able to imagine it). They all have extremely weird effects, which I can't ever remember since they're hardly ever relevant, but I think Genbu is Trick Room from Pokemon (Speed priority is reversed), and Seiryu nullifies all type advantages and disadvantages.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

I see an opportunity to have five unique fairies in the party.

This needs to be done at the earliest opportunity.

I've done the all-fairy team before. Twice, when Clownpiece came out in the expansion and replaced the non-canon Daiyousei.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Power Aya has an Ability that makes her multi-hit attacks always hit the maximum number of times. It wasn't random.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pretty sure the ability should be called Fair and Square based on what it's called in Japanese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

krisslanza posted:

This is more or less what Momiji says in Mountain of Faith, I think but its been a long time since I've played MoF. It makes sense though, given she is basically a scout.

Momiji has no dialog whatsoever in Mountain of Faith. The first time we see her say anything is in the article about Tengu variant-shogi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AweStriker posted:

I'm seeing "Hinawari" as Tenshi's clan name a couple times, but it's actually "Hinanawi".

For the record, the W in Hinanawi is silent, like Tewi. It's a letter that no longer exists in modern Japanese, so it's meant to show that they're really old-fashioned.

Anyway, the best teams are the ones where everyone shares a weakness, but if you want actual advice, Suwako is double vulnerable to Nature. Also, her passive skill Moody only lowers a stat by one stage, not two. But it raises stats by two stages. So she gets a net positive from it, and if the battle goes on long enough she'll average out to a large stat increase in everything. Don't let that happen.

• Locked thread