Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alex0080
May 3, 2013

krisslanza posted:

In fact, they have their own unique version known as "Great Tengu Shogi" which is said to be so large, and with so many new pieces, a single game of it can last days.

Days? Please, feast your eyes on THIS. The Campaign for North Africa! Look upon our human board games, ye tengu, and despair. Yes, that play time is nearly 42 days straight of playing one game of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

krisslanza posted:

Momiji has a pretty cool sprite. One of her Abilities, "Fair and Square", while suggesting it only works on OHKO moves, I did have it in a wild Puppet battle prevent me from KOing her on the first turn... but oddly, another Momiji Puppet with that same ability did not have that happen.

The wiki says that ability is called Stubborn, which would be Sturdy in Pokémon terms. Sturdy has two separate effects, first, immunity to dedicated OHKO moves (originally it did only this), and second, if the Sturdy mon has 100% full HP, any damaging attack will leave the Pokémon with at least one HP, even if it would normally KO. The downside of that part of the effect is that even one missing HP stops it from working, so damaging weather, recoil, contact damage and entry hazards can all turn off that part of Sturdy with a tiny scratch before the opponent has even tried to attack.

Also, seconding a Momiji puppet, she has some pretty cool abilities, Defence Momiji gets Indomitable, which is both Sturdy and Battle Armor (attacks can't crit her) in one. Speed Momiji gets Gale Form, which is Aerilate (Normal/Void moves become Flying/Wind type and get 30% stronger), and learns Swallow Cut at level 36, which is EXTREME SPEED! She's not Wind type so she doesn't get STAB, still pretty good, though.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

krisslanza posted:

This Yamame took a surprising amount of effort to capture, she has an ability that was changing my Abilities to 'Infection', but checking the wiki doesn't really tell me exactly what this ability does.

If it's a carbon copy of the nearest ability in Pokemon, "Mummy", then all it does is spread itself to anyone who touches something with the ability. The funny part about it is that you can spread the ability to your opponent, negating any good abilities they may have, then have, say, Slaking punch someone and replace his horribly crippling ability (Truant, every time Slaking does something it skips it next turn by slacking off.) with Mummy.

Blaze Dragon posted:

About stat buffs and decreases, in Pokemon at least, they've always had both an upper and lower limit of 6. Stats can only be increased to +6, and lowered to -6. That's a multiplier/division over the stat but you'll need someone more competitive than me to tell you which. Since this is Basically Pokemon, it probably works roughly the same here.

The exact math (for anyone with a number fetish :awesome:), a stat at 0 stages of bonus/penalty is at 2/2, or completely normal. For every +1, add 1 to the numerator, so at +1 you have 3/2 of the stat, or a 50% boost. At +2 you have 4/2, so double, and it goes up by 50% from there up to the max of a times four multiplier to your stat at +6 (This is why swords dance and other sharp stat boosters are good on mons that can take the time to use them, one use gives you double your stat, two triple, and three quadruple, huge gains there). That is simple enough to explain without starting with the 2/2 explanation, but minuses are where that comes into play, every -1 adds 1 to your divisor. So at -1 you have 2/3 of your stat, or a one third drop, and at -2 you have 2/4, so half, -4 is 2/6 or one third, and it bottoms out at 2/8, or one quarter of your stat at -6.

krisslanza posted:

And really? I swore I found Leftovers back in Red version in that trash can, but I also don't remember Hold items existing yet, so it does seem likely it didn't exist... yet I swear I remember finding something in that trashcan.

Unfortunately, no leftovers in gen 1, Pokemon couldn't even hold items until gen 2, although some Pokemon, if traded from gen 1 to 2, had a chance of having hold items on them, the idea behind that being your gen 1 character just never thought of having their mons hold things or check to find the things they were holding.

• Locked thread