Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

There's also a really rare encounter, being Sukuna, on Route 1, but I think you can also get her later.

I must've lucked out because she ended up being the second puppet I encountered on Route 1 after a Daiyousei. That aside, I'm not very far in to the game but so far I'm enjoying bullying puppets with a mini Yuuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Something else that is nice is that on the info screen you can see at a glance what type(s) a puppet has even if you're looking at the stat or skill pages. Like, Kokoro's background has a pink half and an orange half so you know she's void/fighting while both of Chen's halves are light green so you know she's mono-wind.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

One of the shops in the Human Village opens up around the time you're assigned the quest to visit Eientei, a tailor shop that lets you change the appearance of a puppet. Most of the outfits that I checked had minor changes (Daiyousei's alternate outfit, for example, kind of looks like one of the SDM fairy maids) but one in particular had noticeable changes (Yuuka goes from her PoFV look to her LLS Stage 5 look and her attack animations are changed as well).

Falconer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 19, 2017

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah, Style Changes show up soon. I... may have gotten half of my team qualified for a Style Change in the quest to catch every puppet in the Myouren Temple areas alongside routes 3 and 4 before remembering that I could have switched Yuuka's ability from Unjustness (double enemy puppet SP usage) to Peaceful (100% flee rate from wild puppet battles, even if a locking ability is used by the enemy).

That MIGHT have kept me from cutting down a small nation's worth of puppets and the resulting XP haul, just a bit.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Mokou handed me my rear end on my first attempt because I didn't know that one of the skills that her puppet uses (Fire Wall) does increased damage if the target is holding an item.

Guess whose entire team was packing hairpins based on their primary attack type?

EDIT: I'm still having fun for now but I'm a bit discouraged that apparently every puppet that can have Peaceful (run from wild fights 100% of the time) as an ability loses it as an option the second that they change their style. I like being able to run from wild fights until I get a puppet I want to capture but I don't like having to keep Yuuka with Normal style in order to do so.

Falconer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 28, 2017

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

krisslanza posted:

Yeah that Fire Wall packs a punch. I only have Pins on Mokou and Kotohime, but that Fire Wall still really can dish it out to them.
EDIT:
Also could try using the Blinding Orb thing. Think its called that. There's one right at the start of the game in the Hakurei Shrine's warehouse.

I forgot about the Blinding Orb. Now that I have that equipped I can switch Yuuka with no worries.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

On the subject of status ailments, it appears you can't game the system by using skills that have the drawback of inflicting a status ailment on yourself if the puppet has an ability that makes them immune to said ailment. That is, Continue (full status/HP heal then target is inflicted with Stop) fails every time if it is used by a puppet that has the Active (immunity to Stop) ability.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Something to note is that if you talk to Meiling once, you find out that she's fast asleep. If you talk to her again though she mumbles something about knives*, wakes up, notices you're there, then starts a fight with you. She's about as hard as Koakuma is though and once you beat her she lets you enter the SDM then says something about how Remilia is going to scold her again.

*Sakuya and Meiling seem to generally be depicted as friends, although Sakuya is less than pleased whenever she catches Meiling sleeping on the job. Sakuya tends to show this displeasure by way of multiple knives to the face.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Magic Fanatic posted:

Chen's speed being rated at D- makes me sad, but this is also me coming off of playing Labyrinth of Touhou, where Chen's speed is actually kind of nutty.

Puppet ratings are randomized from what I can tell, so you can capture a Chen puppet that has D- rated speed just as easily as one that has A- rated speed. The starter puppet is the only exception I've seen in that it has an A+ rating for every stat.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

This was the second point where I had my lunch money stolen due to the Remilia puppet being a powerhouse. I eventually brute forced my way through the fight with a few puppets in the low 40s level-wise (Defense Yuuka in particular who was able to tank a shot from Remi then respond with a Spark Shot boosted by After Move).

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

I wouldn't mind seeing Momiji get some action for a bit. As for this Reimu fight, it was another one where having a few over-leveled puppets (Yuuka and Chen) saved me since they could carry the team after the other four got wiped out. At least now most of my team can actually put up a fight, barring bad type match ups.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

If I recall correctly one of the paths in the caves you went through leads to an exit that in turn leads to a house with an Akyuu doll in it. Granted, you then have to find your way back to the 'right' path that leads to the Moriya shrine, but it's nice having a midpoint of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

My favoritism towards certain characters at one point resulted in a team that had four puppets with the Earth type (defense Yuuka who is Nature/Earth, defense Momiji who is Steel/Earth, assist Chen who is Wind/Earth, defense Nazrin who is Earth/Poison), so certain Masters and normal puppeteers were miserable fights.

• Locked thread