Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Off the top of my head, he gave favorable reviews to Silent Hill 2, Psychonauts, and Half-Life, and went out of his way to do an extremely quick Undertale review just so that he could list it as his top game of 2015 without violating his rule of only using games that he reviewed in his yearly top 10s.

If I recall the Undertale review was the single line "Undertale is a good game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He's a comedian, and no one laughs when he praises a game. That's about it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Clarste posted:

He's a comedian, and no one laughs when he praises a game. That's about it.

I wouldn't call him a comedian, he's a critic in the caustic style.

The fact that he's funny is just a side-effect.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 20, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's also a reason that everyone else fled from the Escapist and their lovely culture and business practices. I can only imagine how much they must be paying him to disregard all that and stay the only thing holding their burning wreck of a site up.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
I know its likely cultural differences
But I HATE that people threat you like garbage DESPITE k owing you where basically saving a woman from being raped/kidnapped

You did a good thing, and in reality (or so id like to hope) your conviction would be met with some oposition, and people aware of the fact would be more lenient
But in game (and from what I have been told, in japanese culture) people act as if you where completely in the wrong
(Not jigen himself bitches that you got between two adults and that you basically deserve what happened to you for it)

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I'm sure Mr. I've got connections fabricated a story to save his drunk cracked nose.

In other words, he gave you an actual criminal record for assault, because 'the police does as I say!!!'

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arkanumzilong posted:

But I HATE that people threat you like garbage DESPITE k owing you where basically saving a woman from being raped/kidnapped

You did a good thing, and in reality (or so id like to hope) your conviction would be met with some oposition, and people aware of the fact would be more lenient
But in game (and from what I have been told, in japanese culture) people act as if you where completely in the wrong
(Not jigen himself bitches that you got between two adults and that you basically deserve what happened to you for it)

Thing is, the deck was stacked against the protagonist from the start. Suffice to say (Since I was reminded that it's not come up yet), there's reasons why things went the way they did.

GoneRampant fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 20, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Arkanumzilong posted:

Yeah, it's weird. A lovely adult did a lovely thing and put the main character in a lovely situation. It's almost like that's supposed to be lovely or something.

That can't be right. I'm sure it's just "cultural differences".

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Dude, no spoilers.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

EDIT: as asked, edited the original post out entirely, as it seems my previous edits where insufficient
will drop the subject for now, as it all depends on that one spoiler for discussion

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 20, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Please both of you edit this out

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Goatee Coffee is probably the only one who actually knows the truth. He's probably been briefed on both sides and is using our actions to judge whats real.

Everyone else is hearing bad sources/isnt really interested in anything but persecuting him in the first place, yknow the lovely side of human nature. The law is corrupt the world over, if someone with money and influence wants you hosed, you get hosed. Its not really a cultural difference, but it is a Japan flavored version. Its also not that unrealistic, but the game is doing everything it can to anger you which pushes it back to cartoony, not that theres actually a way to do this kind of plot tastefully.

The real question is where the protag lived, because he moved to Tokyo, chances are you wouldnt run into anyone like that outside of Tokyo.

Edit: If we keep this up we might sap all of Arist's motivation, so let's try to focus on the positive parts of the game for discussion till we get out of the 7 hour prologue, yeah?

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 20, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Oh thank goodness. The utter absence of comment elsewhere in the thread had lead me to believe I was the only person who saw this.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Honestly, I LIKED the intro. Yeah, it's very hostile, yeah, it's very much 'What the gently caress society', but it gets me in an ANGRY mood, which I think is very much 'working as intended'

And I don't even think it's that unrealistic. Even being acquitted for a crime can get you a serious sigma (smoke = fire and all that) so if you're actually convicted, yeah, you've pretty much Pariah city.

Which I like when contrasted with the Persona 4 protagonist, who pretty much immediately accepted by society at large. Also the contrast between city boy moving to the country, and someone moving from outside moving to Tokyo.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 20, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 4: 4/11: That's Gonna Scab

Music: Suspicion

When we last left them, Maaku and Vulgar Boy were just entering this castle.

It should be… It said “Shujin” on the gate… What’s goin’ on here?

The sign was for the school, right?

Look at this weirdo in the knight costume. Real fuckin’ elaborate, you dork.

Who’re you? You a student? Man, your costume’s impressive… Is that armor real? C’mon, don’t just stand there. Say somethin’.

Music: Desire

...This poo poo’s real.

These cut-ins are a really great addition. I won’t be able to show them all off because they’re pretty frequent but I’ll try to at least grab one if I see it’s new.

We gotta run!

Stop standin’ around and run!

Oww… Y-You’re gonna break my bones, dammit! The hell you think you’re—Aagh!
Take them away!

Maaku’s vision goes dark...

Hey! Wake up!

Music: Disquiet

Yeah, more or less. Looks like this ain’t no dream… Ugh, what’s goin’ on!?

Dammit, where are we!? Is this some kinda TV set…?

In the distance, more cries of agony can be heard.

Whoa… Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa… You’re shittin’ me, right…?

Music: Tension

Isn’t there some way outta here!? C’mon, we gotta do something!

We get a brief moment to interact with the cell here. Emphasis on “brief.”

Hey, should we hide in here and trick the guards? It prolly wouldn’t work like it does in the movies though… Huh? You hear that?

Music: Desire

Your charge is “unlawful entry.” Thus, you will be sentenced to death.
Say what!?

Huh? Wait… Is that you, Kamoshida?

Are you trying to disobey me again? It looks like you haven’t learned your lesson at all, huh? And you brought a friend this time… because you can’t do anything for yourself.
This ain’t funny, you rear end in a top hat!
Is that how you speak to a king? It seems you don’t understand the position you’re in at all. Not only did you sneak into my castle, you committed the crime of insulting me—the king. The punishment for that is death. It’s time for an execution! Take him out!

Sakamoto shoves one of the soldiers over...

I ain’t down for this poo poo! C’mon, we’re outta here!

...and promptly gets punched by another.

Maaku makes a valiant effort to fight the knight off, but to no avail.

Just go! Get outta here…! These guys are serious!
Oh? Running away, are we? What a heartless friend you are.
He ain’t a friend.

Look, you hurt Maaku’s feelings. You should apologize, Sakamoto.

C’mon! Hurry up and go!
What’s the matter? Too scared to run away? Hmph, pathetic scum isn’t worth my time… I’ll focus on this one’s execution...

What an amazing, despicable, punchable face.

Awakening (Absolutely watch this)

A peasant like you isn’t worth beating. I’ll have you killed right now.

Music: Blood of Villain

Hm?

No, I don’t wanna die!
Hahaha!

The voice calls out to us again, and we see the butterfly once more…

(I totally forgot about this scene when I said Philemon only makes one appearance)

Another voice, deep and male this time, rings forth in Maaku’s head.

Are you forsaking him to save yourself? Death awaits him if you do nothing.

Everything turns purple, and Maaku starts screaming in pain.

Vow to me. I am thou, thou art I…

Maaku stops screaming...

...because there’s a fire in his eyes.

Execute him!

What was that…?

The blow knocks off Maaku’s glasses...

Hmph…

A burst of wind through the room knocks the knight off balance before he can strike.

Suddenly, a strange mask is attached to Maaku’s face.

Music: Awakening (Listen to this)

He tries to rip it off...

Um

Oh jeez

OH JEEZ

Blood becomes flame, and flame becomes the stuff of nightmares.

The fire rises from Maaku’s body and becomes a figure of its own, standing behind him.

It’s got a cravat and a dope top hat, and it’s here to party.

With a wave of his hands, Maaku sends the guards flying.

...Holy poo poo, Maaku.

Music: Will Power (Listen to this)

If you so desire, I shall consider granting you the power to break through this crisis.

Hmph, very well...
Who the hell are you...!? Guards!

The guards turn into strange pumpkin creatures.

You’ll learn the true strength of my men!

Let’s use a skill. Arsene knows a light Curse skill, Eiha, right off the bat, so let’s use it. It costs 4 SP, but we don't have to worry about skill costs right now at least.

We can also attack with our physical weapon. In Maaku’s case, it’s a knife.

It did a good deal less damage, you probably noticed. While our starting weapon isn’t great, melee attacks are generally inferior to physical and magical skills of appropriate strength. There are certainly times to use melee attacks, but those moments are rather infrequent.

Music: Triumph

Sweet, Maaku leveled up. He can now cast Eiha a whopping eight times from full SP. If that seems low, just wait. This game somewhat radically shakes up the SP economy established in Personas 3 and 4. Running out of SP is a much greater concern, but we'll get to that later.

Music: Tension

Maaku examines his sweet new duds.

What was that just now…?

Sakamoto just runs up and bowls him over.

You like that, you son of a bitch!?

OK, it’s locked!
drat you!
Hey…! What was that just now!? And… your clothes…!

“Kamoshida” startles the two by slamming the bars.

You bastards!
God, this’s effin nuts! Anyways, let’s scram! You lead the way!

Sakamoto hucks the keys as far as he can.

Goddamn thieves...! After them! Don’t let them escape!

You think you can get away with doing this to me?

C’mon, let’s get outta here!

Let’s turn around and talk to this “Kamoshida” fellow. What sage words does he have for us?

Hey, we gotta ignore him and look for a way out!

Okay then, let’s go.

Our only way forward, however, is blocked.

It ain’t openin’!? Dammit! Let’s try and find another way through!

Huh? ‘Sup?

Wait, think we can jump across?

Indeed we can.

Further in, we encounter more obstacles that must be jumped or crawled past.

They’ll prolly call for backup if we try and take ‘em on. We should go some other way…!

And so we’re forced to turn around and take an alternate route.

Over there… They’re lookin’ for us, right? I ain’t playin’ along with this anymore! We gotta find a way outta this goddamn place!

The enemies are now blocking the path behind us. No way to go but forward.

Hey, let’s get the hell outta this place!

This ain’t the exit!? What the hell is this place!?

Is, uh… Is he OK…?

Figures wearing strange masks are locked in cages. That’s troubling.

We can’t do anything to lower the bridge for now, so let’s continue forward.

Dammit! How the hell’re we supposed to get outta here!?

Look, the key’s right there!
We’re trying to get the hell out of here…! I mean, you obviously look like an enemy too!
I’m locked up here, so how can I be your enemy!? Help me out!

In the distance, the shuffling of guards can be heard.

They’re catchin’ up already…!

How the hell do we get out…!?
Hey, you two! You wanna know where the exit is? Let me out and I’ll take you there. You don’t want to get caught and executed, right?

I never go back on my word!
This thing sounds like it’s all talk...
If you guys think you can get out on your own, then be my guest!
Whadda we do…?

The shuffling grows closer.

Are you seriously not messin’ with us!?
If you don’t hurry, they’ll catch you.
F-Fine...

Now, where’s the exit, you monster cat!?
Don’t call me a cat! I am Morgana!
Shuddup and hurry it up! You wanna be locked up again!?
A-All right, sheesh! Follow me, and stay quiet!

Meanwhile…

Music: Disquiet

Sakura-san said that Hamiru-kun left the house this morning. Should I contact the police…? No, that’ll just be more of a hassle… *sigh* What did I do to deserve this…?

So, we finally met our starting Persona, and it only took four updates! Arsene is based on Arsčne Lupin, a fictional gentleman thief from French writer Maurice Leblanc (yet another connection I just now noticed). The first Lupin story, “The Arrest of Arsčne Lupin,” was published in 1905. Lupin was a force for good in that he exclusively targeted worse villains than himself, which is absolutely relevant to the themes of this game.

As our starting Persona, Arsene learns physical and Curse skills. Also, I really like that we now have a Persona that’s not mythological or anything, it’s just straight-up fictional.

Arsene and the protagonist are both voiced by Xander Mobus (and Jun Fukuyama in Japanese), whose most notable role prior to this was… the announcer in Smash 4. Huh.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 13, 2019

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

More relevantly, Xander Mobus was also Dagda in SMT4: Apocalypse. Dude's a relatively new face for English VAs, but with the Smash 4 Announcer/Master and Crazy Hands and the P5 MC under his belt, his career's off to a pretty solid start!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shogeton posted:

Honestly, I LIKED the intro. Yeah, it's very hostile, yeah, it's very much 'What the gently caress society', but it gets me in an ANGRY mood, which I think is very much 'working as intended'

And I don't even think it's that unrealistic. Even being acquitted for a crime can get you a serious sigma (smoke = fire and all that) so if you're actually convicted, yeah, you've pretty much Pariah city.

Yeah, I agree. It's going for a tone at least and I can easily tell what that is so I can't really say that I'm put off by any of it. (People think) You did a crime and now they're treating you like a criminal to some degree. I mean, they're rude. No one's thrown any garbage at you or spat in your face or anything so I'd say things're going pretty well so far. I can't really blame Arist for not being sassy with people giving him poo poo since it's probably the same direction I would've gone. I feel like at this point, if Maaku came home with his glasses broken and covered in bruises people would probably assume he did something to provoke that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

These persona awakenings are :black101: as hell and I love the protagonist's slasher grin. When "Will Power" starts playing, you know poo poo's about to get real.

On my NG+, I taught Arsene Growth 3 and some other high-level skills to keep him viable for longer. It turns out his skill points go mainly towards Agility, so as you level him up his AG stat becomes obscenely high. Fitting for a gentleman thief.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Huh, I finally know why Ryuji knows we're second years, I was confused because I didn't notice any kind of color coded accessory , but that 2 pin is probably a drat good indicator.
Jun Fukuyama gives a great performance as Arsene there. On another note, I keep on hearing Lelouch every time I save and it makes me laugh a bit.
The face Maaku makes as he bursts into flame is great. Really just everything about this sequence was my favorite part of the game so far, its very flashy and is the first moment you feel like youre not being shat on.
This dungeon is just full of great little dialogue if you take the time to examine everything, I was in here for an entire hour.
This game made me even less of a fan of the wild card nonsense by giving dialogue to the Persona's and making me fall in love just to never hear their voices again. I'd trade just about anything in this game just to make the Persona's themselves frequent characters.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ohhh, yeah... there we go. I do not think I can put into terms how much I LOVE the entire Persona awakening thing this game has going on. No cards, and no Evokers, the Persona is a literal mask that changes into your spirit animal, which you physically tear off- a process that looks painful every time (which I also love). The sinister appearance, the process, the recurring motif of breaking chains (which comes up again many times)- it just looks so great. I also admire how quick the game is to throw you in the deep end- no hours of getting to know the school and your situation here, just:

Day One: Arrive in city, you are degraded, and are vexed.

Day Two: go to school, you are degraded and are vexed.

Day Three: You go to school, end up in Bizarro Land, are kicked and punched by some weird pervert in a robe, and are vexed so much your vexation turns into a ghoul with a top hat who tells you to make your vexation known.

Shows they paid attention to how much people complained about P4s relatively slow start.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Will Power is truly one of the best themes in the entire game because it makes you feel like a badass when it plays.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I feel arsene is wasted as a starter persona, and would actually probably have worked as a persona you could have for the whole game in its own little slot, for reasons I may elaborate way way later. Suffice to say, I love his design and It makes me very disappointed he tends to be gone faster than you can say "au revoir"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoig posted:

I feel arsene is wasted as a starter persona, and would actually probably have worked as a persona you could have for the whole game in its own little slot, for reasons I may elaborate way way later. Suffice to say, I love his design and It makes me very disappointed he tends to be gone faster than you can say "au revoir"

This is exactly what happens in P3 and P4 as well though, "Boss rear end starter persona becomes irrelevant after 5 levels, congrats on learning the downside of the Wild Card, chump."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Pretty impressed that they made some goofy looking guy wearing a Burger King crown and a pink speedo under a tacky perv robe seem legitimately unsettling.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Allow me to mirror the comment that Arsene's great design is sadly wasted since he has to go quickly, much like Orpheus and Izanagi. However, if P5's inevitable anime adaption follows in the footsteps of the P3 and P4 anime adaptions, Arsene will get an upgrade and become one of the MC's main Personas for the entire game.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

This is exactly what happens in P3 and P4 as well though, "Boss rear end starter persona becomes irrelevant after 5 levels, congrats on learning the downside of the Wild Card, chump."

Wild card downside? I call refashioning the starter Persona into a carrying endgame viable weapon a challenge :unsmigghh:

Which you can only do around the endgame point, oh well.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I am well aware of that, but arsene has far more personality than orpheus and izanagi. Combined with its excellent design, It sticks out a bit more. Not to mention it being done before doesn't make it suck any less.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I checked the stats on my NG+ Arsene. At the moment, he's sitting at level 38 with most of his stats at the low to average end for a Persona of that level... except, of course, Agility which is currently at 44. He's never going to be the hardest hitter on the team, but after the skill upgrades I gave him he is a pretty decent all-rounder, and that agility of his is quite useful as well.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 20, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like that Sakamoto's first reaction to someone trying to kill him is is to tell Maaku to run while the enemy's distracted. Even this random guy we just met is heroic in his own way.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 20, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

I like that Ryuji first reaction to someone trying to kill him is is to tell Maaku to run while the enemy's distracted. Even this random guy we just met is heroic in his own way.

I'm a huge fan of the fact that Vulgar Boy made an effort to defend himself and knocked one of those knights on their rear end too. That's the kinda thing I was really hoping for at least once in Persona 4 when people were confronting their shadows.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

There's also a reason that everyone else fled from the Escapist and their lovely culture and business practices. I can only imagine how much they must be paying him to disregard all that and stay the only thing holding their burning wreck of a site up.

What did happen to the Escapist? This is more out of curiosity then anything else as I only ever go to the side for Zero Punctuation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a huge fan of the fact that Vulgar Boy made an effort to defend himself and knocked one of those knights on their rear end too. That's the kinda thing I was really hoping for at least once in Persona 4 when people were confronting their shadows.

Kanji did it, sort of

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally, I like to think Arsene's awakening is the best awakening of the Persona protagonists. Guy's flashy as hell and doesn't just speak outside of "I am Thou, Thou art I" when being first recognized by the protagonists. I personally like to think the new personas we see when they awaken are some of the best designed personas to date in the series. I also like how Atlus has been straying away into new territory for Light and Dark elements. They're not just "One Hit KO" elements anymore, unlike say Persona 3 or 4, or earlier SMT games, they're viable elements to use for damage and worth using. Granted, that didn't make P4G Naoto any less useful, specially if you're one of those people who also played Persona Q

Kemix fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 20, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The one thing that disappoints me about Arsene's awakening is that it doesn't have Maaku whispering the traditional "Per... so... na..." as the one thing he says out loud all game. Other than that it fuckin' rules.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The one thing that disappoints me about Arsene's awakening is that it doesn't have Maaku whispering the traditional "Per... so... na..." as the one thing he says out loud all game. Other than that it fuckin' rules.

I know, right!? It was so awesome in every other way, but there is tradition to follow, drat it!

By the way, I personally love that no one in thread has thus far commented on the newest party member. It really is indicative of the up-to-eleven immersion in craziness that after magic castles, torture dungeons, and a pervert in robes beating you up, by the time we get to this point, it's like, "Alright, a talking cat mascot in a cell asking to be let out... Why not."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

He also says something during a later anime cutscene.

Maaku says a few things in the game outside his internal monologue.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

We cant really talk about Morgana till next update.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Hunt11 posted:

What did happen to the Escapist? This is more out of curiosity then anything else as I only ever go to the side for Zero Punctuation.

Without causing a large detail, they went all in on gamergate and all that entails.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carados posted:

Without causing a large detail, they went all in on gamergate and all that entails.

Ah. That would explain a lot.

Anyway I love how the characters awaken to their personas in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Arsene is my favorite starter in the series by a country mile. I dragged his rear end all the way to endgame with the help of some later features.