Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I'm enjoying how each party member 's persona is based on a fictional rogue this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I'll probably do mini-updates once the dungeon crawling gets into high gear explaining the skill names because it can get a little arcane. Even if you guys are familiar with SMT there's some new skills in P5 so it makes sense to do it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Keeper of Lust is such a good track and I love that you hear it often in this game. The aforementioned DDS vibes and timing it with a later mechanic makes it 100 times better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Junpei posted:

Morgana also learns (Ma)Sukunda, which allows him to rob enemies of their damage output while making annoying misses on you go away. Combined with the party member who learns (Ma)Sukukaja, you can get some insane dodging going on.

Just pointing out that Morgana doesn't learn the single-target Sukunda.

I still maintain that Arsene is the best protaganist Persona they've done.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

And here would be the other reason why I'm surprised Maaku is being so nice, comparatively speaking. The ancillary dialogue in school, for some time, is just like this, either about the protagonist or anyone he knows and speaks with. Coming off of P4 and how welcoming Dojima and your school were, it's quite a jump; It'd probably take a while to capture screenshots of all of the things all the students say about how violent you are, what a freak you are, how they wish you'd gently caress off and die etc etc... these are the shittiest, meanest, most judgemental and narcissistic (which is to say, most realistic :smith: ) teenagers imaginable.

Well, he is supposed to be a Gentleman Thief.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I was about to say that the screenshots look a bit dark on my end, but that's not actually the case as far as I can tell. That section in the castle just is really dark no matter what, and the game's visuals don't seem to handle the screenshot compression (or resizing) all that well in general.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll see if I can't do something about that in the future.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Going in blind, my roommate and I named our own guy Sakamoto, which made this part of the game with all the rumors and poo poo talking of Ryuji kind of a clusterfuck.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Arist posted:

For real. That side of the room is totally awful.

Someday I hope these two gossips notice that they're on that side of the room too. And that they fit right in.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I have no dislike for Morgana, but he'll probably be my least favorite party member forever. Mainly because he already has a Persona and I doubt he'll ever get a super snazzy awakening like everyone else.

Also his name bothers me because Im a huge Arthurian buff and well Morgana Le Fay.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

MythosDragon posted:

I have no dislike for Morgana, but he'll probably be my least favorite party member forever. Mainly because he already has a Persona and I doubt he'll ever get a super snazzy awakening like everyone else.

Also his name bothers me because Im a huge Arthurian buff and well Morgana Le Fay.

Agreed on the second, very much disagreed on the first

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm rather enjoying the persona lineup they have this time around. Again, not very far in, but yea. The next party member's persona is :black101:, helps they play like Kanji from P4 and Kanji is a good, if underutilized in gameplay, character

Kemix fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 23, 2017

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I seem to be the only one bothered by this, but gently caress it I'm gonna say something anyway:

Please. Please. Link the anime scenes when they occur in the update. It doesn't make any sense to link them all in bulk at the end, or at least, not to do so exclusively.

Apart from that, LP is going nice so far. Interesting to note that we've already overtaken the video LP, even if it isn't by much. Keep it up, show everyone the superiority of the SSLP.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'm liking Kamoshida as a villain so far. We know that he's done some bad things since the future-talk with Sae combined with Ryuuji implying something he did to the track team but he's coming off as respectable if a bit condescending/arrogant when we talk to him. And he's competent, being an olympic medalist makes the prestige of his volleyball team not actually as far-fetched as it seemed when we first heard about his team. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Also echoing what's been said about not talking about mechanics spoilers including what upcoming party members can do. I'm following this LP because I'm keeping myself from playing my copy of the game until the semester finishes up but I want to at least see some of it before then. I'd personally rather not hear anything except what the LPer reveals.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The 'ripped mophead' is the best physical description for Kamoshida.

Also the rumor mill is seriously insane.

If you hang around and listen to more people-rumors, like I did, someone even says, "he's killed multiple people!"

And I just talked to Ann once. Like once. How is that hitting on someone?

The spoiler is for the rumors, but I tagged it, just in case.

Also, I like Ryuji. He is our only friend in this cold, unwelcoming school.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 23, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hi this LP and the one of Persona 3 are my first exposure to series in any detail, so question: are these things basically chatty Stands? Is that the idea?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Hi this LP and the one of Persona 3 are my first exposure to series in any detail, so question: are these things basically chatty Stands? Is that the idea?

yeah, basically.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I dont know if theres a tropey name, but Power Avatars are a relatively common power system. Its also more common(and factually better) for them to have their own personality and be sentient to a degree.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

MythosDragon posted:

I dont know if theres a tropey name, but Power Avatars are a relatively common power system. Its also more common(and factually better) for them to have their own personality and be sentient to a degree.

I'm not criticizing the concept here, just curious if that's what's going on. Agreed that chatty is better tbh.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
They're demon pokemon

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

serefin99 posted:

I seem to be the only one bothered by this, but gently caress it I'm gonna say something anyway:

Please. Please. Link the anime scenes when they occur in the update. It doesn't make any sense to link them all in bulk at the end, or at least, not to do so exclusively.

Apart from that, LP is going nice so far. Interesting to note that we've already overtaken the video LP, even if it isn't by much. Keep it up, show everyone the superiority of the SSLP.

yeah sure

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

GunnerJ posted:

More so than you think. Check out P4, it's basically a love letter to Jojos 4.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mister Olympus posted:

P3 also has nods to Part 3 as well.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

You should check out Persona 4, it's literally-

Mister Olympus posted:

gently caress; beaten. Yeah, that. I got the reverse experience, since I played P3 and P4, read Stardust Crusaders and went 'oh so that's where it came from', then watched Diamond is Unbreakable and realized just how much of an homage it was.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was wondering if this story would wind up being Vento Aureo and the similarities are already pretty striking.

Shame Maaku doesn't shift to having incredibly flamboyant blonde hair.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
People are being pretty hard on Sojiro, maybe it was due to having the voice acting but he always came across as totally a big softy blustering about how TOTALLY HARSH he was gonna be and IF YOU gently caress UP YOU'RE OUT oh by the way you're in charge of my sign ok buddy?

Also I found the setup of this game way more believable than the start of Persona 4, really. 'Guy gets caught up in incident and gets hosed over by a corrupt system now everyone treats him like poo poo' seemed way more realistic than 'guy moves into a new town with the nicest teenagers in the universe and everyone instantly likes him'.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sojiro is not as terrible as everyone else given he has displayed something akin to care at a couple moments, but he is being rather unpleasant.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordNagash posted:

People are being pretty hard on Sojiro, maybe it was due to having the voice acting but he always came across as totally a big softy blustering about how TOTALLY HARSH he was gonna be and IF YOU gently caress UP YOU'RE OUT oh by the way you're in charge of my sign ok buddy?

Also I found the setup of this game way more believable than the start of Persona 4, really. 'Guy gets caught up in incident and gets hosed over by a corrupt system now everyone treats him like poo poo' seemed way more realistic than 'guy moves into a new town with the nicest teenagers in the universe and everyone instantly likes him'.

Weird, you normally think stories about people entering other planes of reality through televisions would be more true to life.

especially the ones that have large mascot-like bears form human bodies from what was previously an empty void

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

LordNagash posted:

Well his english voice actor also voiced Nier from... Nier, AKA Dad of the Year All Years, so it's probably voice acting

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Whenever Morgana uses his persona Zorro's tiny cape flutters dramatically in the wind and it's so wonderful.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dasmause posted:

Well his english voice actor also voiced Nier from... Nier, AKA Dad of the Year All Years, so it's probably voice acting

And Iron Tager from Blazblue, and Lord Jaraxxus from WoW, and Garen from League of Legends.

Basically Sojiro goes against his stereotype of well known Big Burly Men.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

dasmause posted:

He also gave the booze tidbits from Catherine. And another thing coming up later on.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Count Bleck posted:

Lord Jaraxxus from WoW

YOU FACE SOJIRO, COFFEE BAR LORD OF THE CURRY LEGION!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Believe it or not, but the thing that made me most excited for Persona 5 was seeing the protagonist use dark curse spells as a viable source of damage instead of just an insta-kill move. I loved Naoto's ability to annihilate trash mobs in P4, but you never brought her into boss battles unless you were playing The Golden.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blastinus posted:

Believe it or not, but the thing that made me most excited for Persona 5 was seeing the protagonist use dark curse spells as a viable source of damage instead of just an insta-kill move. I loved Naoto's ability to annihilate trash mobs in P4, but you never brought her into boss battles unless you were playing The Golden.

Yea, think that trend started with SMT4: Apocalypse. Light and Dark got actual spells that deal damage instead of an instant KO like the last few SMT/Persona titles have used, was a very nice surprise to say the least. Of course, the Hama and Mudo lines still exist.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blastinus posted:

The Eiha skill line is actually resurrected from Persona 1, along with a few other things.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Having Curse and Bless deal damage while also adding Nuke and Psi pretty much doubled the number of elements you need to test though.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Clarste posted:

Having Curse and Bless deal damage while also adding Nuke and Psi pretty much doubled the number of elements you need to test though.

Surprisingly enough, this is not as much of a problem in this game as you might think.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, I suspect the answer to this question is "Not really," but...

Are there any other RPGs out there that are like the 'modern' Persona games?

These two excellent P5 LPs are really giving me the urge to play, but I doubt I'll ever own a console that'd run it. I'm curious, especially after the runaway success of P4, if there are any worthy imitators/successors that might be out there. Or, hell, any games that came before P3 that might have served as inspiration for the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the trails of cold steel games move along a calendar and you do bonding events with party members for gameplay benefits, but they're not daily life sims like persona, you often skip weeks at a time and have set days to hang out with people.