Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Dude, no spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Honestly, I LIKED the intro. Yeah, it's very hostile, yeah, it's very much 'What the gently caress society', but it gets me in an ANGRY mood, which I think is very much 'working as intended'

And I don't even think it's that unrealistic. Even being acquitted for a crime can get you a serious sigma (smoke = fire and all that) so if you're actually convicted, yeah, you've pretty much Pariah city.

Which I like when contrasted with the Persona 4 protagonist, who pretty much immediately accepted by society at large. Also the contrast between city boy moving to the country, and someone moving from outside moving to Tokyo.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 20, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Small thing that really impressed extra on me how much of a dick Madarame is.

When Yusuke asks 'How many did you trample upon?', Madarame just rubs his chin, in a thoughtful expression and then gets a poo poo-eating grin on his face.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I... definitely think that it could be handled better, but I've always taken the scene at the Order Ending in the 'best' interpretation that Toby and Erica are comfortable enough with eachother and her trans-ness that they can joke about it, or at worst, he's a bit self-conscious about it. For all Toby's remarks, he seems to be pretty at ease with Erica keeping her arms around him. Seems like it's more a case of Atlus being tone-deaf than outright transphobic?

On the other hand, 'hey, trans people, you should be fine with your friends being ashamed to being filmed with you, but at lest they're willing to keep hanging out' is also not exactly a good message.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah, Morgana always kind of feels like an annoying but well meaning kid brother sometimes? Just oh so eager to prove himself 'one of the guys' Worst for him is that he doesn't really have anyone who can understand it, so the Phantom Thieves are it, as far as his social circles go. To everyone else, he's just a cat.

On that note, kind of dickish of Ryuji to constantly be all 'hahah, you're a cat' while Morgana is clearly pretty dam frustrated and insecure with the situation. Like, even if you don't believe the 'human cursed into cat shape' explanation, it's like calling Pinocchio a wooden puppet. You're probably not technically correct, depending on how you wanna work with definitions, but you're missing the point and deliberately being a jerk. And Ryuji of all people should know what it is to get kicked when you're down by people you're close to.

And honestly, that first Sushi outing was an actual Phantom Thief outing, spending the profits of the heist all of them struggled for, including Morgana. Now, because of circumstances, it's okay that those got used as 'excuse' to get to Sojiro's place with everything that was happening, but yeah, to make a point to continue to deny him his share of the high quality pricey sushi is just piling on the stuff.

So nah, Morgana deserves some razzing for being a bit of a jerk, probably some 'button mashing' but he's a full member of your team, not some mascot or 'key item'

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Qrr posted:

But it’s not the laziness of Tokyo. Ignore the part where it straight up says what it is and try and figure it out. Look at its design or it’s actions or whatever. There’s no relation. Why is laziness a big cup? Why does it pretend to be Igor? When did it start existing and why that particular time? Why does it set up a competition between Akechi and Maaku? It wasn’t even really a competition because Akechi wasn’t working to increase apathy, he just wanted revenge in the stupidest way possible. And for a rigged competition where it planned to ignore the result anyway it sure did help out Maaku a lot.

Basically as a concept fighting the metaphorical lack of caring of a city or country could be really cool. As an execution it’s not, at all.

Why the Holy Grail? There is the connection between the Holy Grail and the Heart in the suits of Cards. There is also the Holy Grail being synonymous with 'something that is widely desired', and also because you want there to be a Treasure of Mementos, and when you go for a Treasure that lays claim to divinity, the Holy Grail is a good pick there.

Why pretend to be Igor? Well, Igor said a trickster would rise to challenge the Holy Grail. So what better gently caress you to Igor than to trick that trickster with his very own guise? Considering Igor is very much all about hope and humanity's potential and he himself guiding it, having someone pulling like this is sure to piss him off majorly.

The competition between Akechi and Maaku is kind of muddled because there were two 'competitions' here. The original idea of 'Trickster' who would represent humanity, and if he won, The Grail would gently caress off and leave them alone, and the Grail's champion. However, since the Grail was 'actually, gently caress your rules, Alpha Strike on the Velvet Room' he got to set the game up to his own liking. I mean, yeah, he could have just said 'right, no personas for anyone, let's just calmly gather my power and start ruling the world', but I think these Gods just really like to do things in games. Considering what Fake-Igor says to you if you die, I kind of take it that to him, it's the conflict of Rehabilitation VS Ruin. If Akechi wins, the Grail would have just ended the entire world as not even to be rehabilitated, because Akechi, in his action, freely deals death, working together with the worst of humanity. Akechi is the Champion of Ruin. Maaku, on the other hand, is hard at work making sure that people that are terrible and evil don't get killed, but get put into the Prison of Regression, and the Phantom Thieves themselves, at their height of popularity become someone to whom responsibility is shifted to. Makau is he Champion of Rehabilitation. I mean, of course, none of these players know that's what they're representing, and you'll notice there is no 'The Holy Grail fucks off' outcome here. But then 'This is an unjust game' is one of the first things said to us. The game tends to give us several situations where 'the game is rigged' both in the main story and in the confidants.

Of course, all of this is interpretation.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Also mercifully absent in the anime, Yusuke blackmailing Ann into the nude modelling. It's still there but it's a case of 'he kicked us out, and we really need to get in there to open the door'

Sadly present in the beach episode. Makoto spiking a volleyball right into Ryuji's face hard enough to leave a mark, then high-fiving Ann about it.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Yeah, I always feel that this particular cruel angel's thesis is:

"Humanity has a whole bunch of lovely folks who have distorted desires bringing about ruin (Shido, Kamoshida, Madarame, etc.) and rather than do something about it, people in general just pass the buck to others in their laziness. And in the end, they created me to be in charge of everything. And I get to pick whether I'm just going to rule the world forever with everyone all 'happiness in slavery' or if the masses are too lovely, I might just purge them all."

Interestingly, the Phantom Thieves of Heart, depending on how you look at it, are supporting his case, or opposing it. On one hand, they are clearly a bunch of folks who are stepping up and doing something about all the evil, even if it's not affecting them. However, they are doing this by 'assuming control' of other people's hearts, and in a way, becoming an 'authority' similar to Yaldabaoth, which I feel is illustrated by some of the creepy twitter remarks while our reputation was high. And of course, all the while we were doing that, we were doing it with Yaldy's express blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

I mean, it's not like Sae forces you into it. She just says 'look, far as I can see, if you don't do anything, the Conspiracy doesn't get busted, if you publicly reveal yourself to be the Phantom Thieves, the police is going to target your friends, my advice is to take the bullet for your friends, turn yourself in'

However, there is the question why Maaku has to be the one to do it. I mean, Haru could just as well go and turn herself in to the police. She doesn't have the probation hanging over her head, and the police would probably be a bit more hesitant going after the recently orphaned rich girl with the army of high powered lawyers.

Alternatively, for maximum 'gently caress Sae' points, we could have asked Makoto to do it. And she's get some perspective on the Japanese Police Force.