Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

geri_khan posted:

Can confirm: Shibuya's a really nice recreation of the real place, and I loved the feeling you got of trying to find your way around the maze of a train station. Was talking to someone else about it and he commented that it was surprising there was no destination marker or anything: it really contributes to a feeling of being lost and anxious.

I know Shibuya pretty well, and I'd call the game's version of it a superbly well-crafted distillation of the real place rather than a recreation. The station square (featuring the Hachiko statue and the famous crossing), which is the closest of the Shibuya areas to an actual recreation, is kind of amazing in that while playing the game I keep thinking "yeah, this is exactly what the place looks like in real life", but whenever I visit the actual location I'm amazed by how much larger it actually is and how many significant things are there that aren't in the game - the game takes the most prominent features of the area, mashes them together into a space that's probably about one fifth of the real location, and does it in such a way that fools the brain into thinking it's a completely faithful recreation.

The other areas of Shibuya in the game (Central street, the station interior and the underground mall), are more like a composite of various real locations in the general area. I can recognize where much of the scenery comes from, but unlike the square I wouldn't mistake any of it for a faithful depiction of the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kemix posted:

Sadly, the reason they changed in US was because his seiru(?) or Voice Actor died in JP, I guess they wanted to retire the then current VA of Igor out of respect so there wasn't a huge change in the voice tone between the two languages. That's my take on it, since Atlus is very good about trying to keep consistant between the two versions.

It's sad that while I've seen this factoid repeated dozens of times since P5 was released in the west, no one bothers to actually name the guy. Igor was played in P3 and P4 by veteran voice actor Isamu Tanonaka, who started his career in the '60s and was mostly known for the high-pitched voice he used for most of his characters. His best known role by far is one that's the subject of many Japanese impressionists - Medama-oyaji from Gegege no Kitaro - Kitaro's father who's a literal eyeball. He's pretty much the only of the main Kitaro cast who played his role throughout every one of the series' many iterations. He died in 2010, aged 77.

Replacing him in P5 is the very different voice of Masane Tsukayama, another veteran actor who's also in his 70s right now. Tsukayama has been a voice actor in Japanese cartoons since the '70s, but he's more famous for his live-action and stage career, as well as for dubbing live-action (he's been the Japanese voice of Kevin Costner, for example).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Another thing missing from most western discussions of P5 are the inspirations for the names of every major character (that is, everyone who's in this game's version of social links). It makes sense - most of them are figures from Japanese history that aren't very well known in the west, but since for most of them it's not just the name but also some traits that are shared, the connections are clear. All of them are historical or literary rebels and insubordinates.

Morgana's namesake is obviously the Arthurian Morgan le Fay, and I don't have much more to say about that except that the Magician arcana makes the link even stronger.

Ryūji Sakamoto (坂本竜司) is inspired by Ryōma Sakamoto (坂本龍馬). They share the exact same last name (like all of P5's namesakes) and the first kanji of Ryuji's first name is a variation on the first in Ryoma's. Sakamoto was a key figure in the fall of the Tokugawa shogunate at the end of the 18th century, and was also heavily involved in the founding the Imperial Japanese Navy, matching Ryuji's seafaring Persona.

There's a lot more in P5 inspired by real life people, like pretty much all of the game's major villains. It's still a little early to discuss Kamoshida's inspiration, though.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 26, 2017

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Arist posted:

I can't find it now but I remember reading someone say that this arc in particular was inspired by a real Japanese news story. This is only the tip of the iceberg, though.

It is, and it's a famous one. The real life incident has more to do with aspects of Kamoshida we haven't seen yet in this thread, so I'll link to it in an update or two.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Clarste posted:

I say this as a quasiprofessional who hangs out with professionals who think it's fine, more or less. Could certainly have been improved with another editing pass or two, but given the huge volume of text in the game I can understand that they probably didn't have time to do that. The game was already delayed as it is.

I am a also a quasiprofessional who occasionally hangs out with professionals. I played the entire game in Japanese when it came out last year (and read all the text too!). Is this translation readable? Sure. Is it good? I wouldn't say so. It has good parts -- Ryuji is consistently great, for example, as is - as has been pointed out - most of Kamoshida's dialogue in this update. But taken as a whole the Japanese prose is consistently so much better that it sometimes hurts me to read what they turned it into. You wouldn't know this without comparing both, of course.

Even if we take all the actual translation errors and the lines that were obviously written by a (likely Japanese) non-native English speaker that should have been found in editing (some of them are right there in the first five minutes of the game!), we're left with an average approximation of the original, and average shouldn't be good enough.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Cicadalek posted:

I don't hang out with any translators, professional or otherwise, but I have seen a lot of Yakuza 0. The Persona 5 translation is definitely competent, but it's still kind of awkward in places. There's a lot of times where you see a sentence and go "ok that is a technically a legitimate English sentence, but no one would ever actually express themselves that way in this situation".

Yeah - Yakuza 0 and Nier are two recent examples of what a good translation looks like. It's not that I don't have criticism about either at all (in fact, I do), but the general quality is simply higher than P5's.

And as I said, P5's translation isn't horrendous. It's simply stiff and full of bad phrasing and word choices. It's really easy to ignore because it doesn't stand out as much as "all your base" or whatever, but it doesn't mean we don't deserve a better effort - I think the end product loses something and in this particular case - because the game itself is really good even when not taking the prose into account - it's hard to tell if you haven't been playing the original as well.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Ann's real-world namesake is probably the most difficult in the game to pinpoint. Japanese players first thought her name's very loosely based on Marie Antoinette's, but a much better theory is that she's named after famous female pirate Anne Bonny. Ann's last name, Takamaki, is spelled 高巻. Those kanji have the very accessible alternate reading Kōmaku, which is the way you'd pronounce Bonny's birth name, Cormac, in Japanese. This is so perfect I don't think there's much chance it's coincidental.

Now's probably also the time to point out Masato Uchishiba, whose controversial incident Satoru Kamoshida is very loosely based on.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The Japanese strategy guide has an appendix with two day-by-day guides: one for maxing all the confidants on a first playthrough (and, as a bonus, getting all decorations for your room), and then, with a prerequisite of max social stats and a recommendation of lots of leftover money and as much of the compendium already unlocked as possible, a day-by-day guide for platinuming the game on the second run. This includes such things as reading all books, watching all movies and DVDs, playing all retro-games to completion, having all map spots and seeing every study and day-off events with everyone.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Tae Takemi is named after Taro Takemi, one of the most famous doctors in Japan's modern history. Quoting from this article:

quote:

He was the president of the Japan Medical Association (JMA) for 25 years, from 1957 to 1982. Takemi was well-known as “Kenka Taro,” a belligerent Taro. The media in his time liked to take up the issues which he fought against the Japanese government, particularly the Ministry of Health and Welfare. It liked to depict him as a boss of doctors, according to media’s coverage, who were all mad for money. Although Takemi admitted that one-third of doctors were “headmen of greedy selfish village,” he himself claimed to have a vision about Japanese medicine, which was based on his own philosophy.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A new confidant, so a new real person who the character is named for:

Sojiro Sakura (佐倉惣治郎) is named after Sogoro Sakura (佐倉惣五郎). This time their names are almost completely identical, save for the middle kanji of the given name. Sogoro was an Edo-period farmer who fought and appealed to ease taxes, and was arrested and likely executed for that. He was a major inspiration for the Freedom and People's Rights Movement later when the Meiji government took over.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Morgana has one thing over Teddie that makes him better: he doesn't have Kappei Yamaguchi's godawful ear-bleeding high-pitched voice. Dear lord, that voice is enough to drive me insane. What makes me even more angry is that when Yamaguchi drops down a couple octaves (see: Usopp from One Piece or Tobia Arronax from the video games that adapt the Crossbone Gundam manga), he's a good voice actor. But then you get roles like Teddie or the equally ear-bleeding performance as Rattrap in Beast Wars' Japanese dub and you want to dive through the screen to strangle Yamaguchi in order to stop the bleeding.

I got used to Kappei's Kuma and he doesn't really bother me - the acting itself is pretty good and, as always, understanding the words helps immensely when dealing with annoying voices, especially if it's done deliberately like in P4. If you really want to hear a totally horrible Kappei phoning it in with a Kuma-like voice, look for videos of Idol Death Game TV, one of the most horrible hack-job of a game that came out of Japan in recent years but still managed to get big-name voice actors.

Japanese Morgana, of course, is automatically better because he's voiced by Pikachu.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yuuki Mishima's name's origin is perhaps the easiest to figure out for anyone who's even a little familiar with Japanese culture. It's, of course, famous Japanese author (and Nobel price candidate) Yukio Mishima, author of Confessions of a Mask and famous for attempting a coup d'etat the Japanese government and being one of a very select few in modern Japanese history to end their life by committing traditional seppuku. Which I guess is a fate many wish upon P5's Mishima as well.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'm not sure I would even classify this line as a joke. Here's the thing about the catbus: My Neighbour Totoro is such a staple of modern Japanese pop culture that there's literally almost no one in Japan who doesn't know it. Even those who haven't actually seem the movie (which is also, I imagine, a relatively small percentage of the population), and even people with the least possible interest in animation or kid movies know about it, and especially about the catbus, just because it's now part of the common culture.

So yeah, Morgana isn't hyperbolizing here. Cats turning into buses really *is* an extremely widespread cognition in Japan. One of the widest even, I'd say.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kemix posted:

Seriously, Cat-Bus Morgana is The Best Thing. I love how Atlus is willing to go for jokes like that, even if nobody most people don't know what the gently caress it's from.

The people making the game aren't even considering their western audience when writing it, and they were quite sure a literal 100% of their intended audience will recognize the reference instantly.

If you're talking about the localizers, this is a translation that rarely strays from the original literal meaning of the text, even for stuff most non-Japanese will not get, and there's a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

New confidant, new historical figure they're named after (yes, they're all named after historical figures).

Shoin Yoshida (born Toranosuke Sugi) was a samurai and an influential political and military scholar in the days leading to the Meiji Restoration. So many of these people are connected in some way to Meiji because it is, after all, probably the most important example of rebellion against the status quo in Japan's history.