Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Believe it or not, but the thing that made me most excited for Persona 5 was seeing the protagonist use dark curse spells as a viable source of damage instead of just an insta-kill move. I loved Naoto's ability to annihilate trash mobs in P4, but you never brought her into boss battles unless you were playing The Golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
What I like about Persona 5 is that the designers seemed to have taken special care in insuring that every single member is viable for some reason. Because sure, while Ryuji's magic is essentially just there to hit weaknesses, he's still the biggest tank in the game by far and can absolutely wreck faces with his physical attacks.

And yeah, while it's obviously jumping the gun to go into the particulars of Ryuji's character, I do sympathize with his inability to grasp the weirdness around him. He's your average high school roughneck thrown into a bizarre nightmare world where the rules of reality only tangentially matter. Think about it. Every step is making splashes of bright paint appear, suits of armor are turning into pumpkin magicians, and your teacher is chasing you down in nothing but a speedo and a cape. If anything, these kids are taking the whole thing surprisingly in stride.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

AradoBalanga posted:

Antonio Banderas played the character Zorro in the 1998 film "The Mask of Zorro" alongside Sir Anthony Hopkins. He then went on to play Puss In Boots for the Shrek films.

Of course, when it comes to this series, the role of Puss-in-Boots is played by the Irish cat fairy Cait Sith.

Because why not?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

PMush Perfect posted:

I love this game. :allears:

I played the protagonist as a snarky whiner basically from the word go, and there are some glorious responses you get from people for it.

You too, huh? That does result in a heaping amount of people telling you to do it anyway, but I guess the plot wouldn't progress otherwise.

I've read excuses for how extreme this teacher abuse subplot gets, that it makes sense because of Japanese cultural norms about politeness and respecting authority. But even so, they really do go to the far end with how hopeless the situation is. Every kid you talk to is bandaged to the nines, and they treat Kamoshida like an unstoppable boogeyman who no one will dare touch, when it seems like the solution would just be to smuggle a camera into one of those training sessions and show it to the police.

Unless they're in on the volleyball craze too or something.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

RareAcumen posted:

Arist, thank you for making such long updates, because man do I really wanna dive into this game.

It helps that it's kicking off a lot faster than Persona 4 did too. I'm sure it'll slow down in the time between getting your fourth and fifth party members though.

Oh, HECK yes! You can tell that they took the criticism of P4's pacing to heart, since in that game, it takes at least two or three ingame days before you even catch a glimpse into the TV world, let alone start investigating it. Don't get me wrong, I love Persona 4, but it is daunting to go back through the intro portion, just because it lasts so friggin' long.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

resurgam40 posted:

Hm... I should have specified. By "meet" I mean "actually form Social Link with", because only then do you really get into the nitty gritty of why that relationship is related to that Arcana and all their resultant personae, as well as the "lesson" behind that card. In the former two Persona titles, the link of the Magician was either first (P4, even before the Fool is established) or could be formed early on (P3, with either Kenji or Junpei)... so this time around, the script is flipped a little.

All semantics aside, the role of Junpei, Yosuke, and Ryuji in the narrative is to provide a dense character who needs to have the plot and mechanics explained to him in great detail. That way, the protagonist can seem competent and knowledgeable without the player missing out on any vital info about how the game works. It's an interesting way to simultaneously educate the player without making them feel like they're the ones being looked down on.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

geri_khan posted:

Oh yeah, almost forgot,

Pretty sure this is what the cannonball torture in the Palace is meant to represent.

Considering what we've seen of the guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he literally had a giant sawblade treadmill.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Special shoutout in that scene goes to the kids who, discovering that one of their classmates tried to commit suicide, decided to pull out their phones and take pictures. It's the little things that really make you dislike the faceless NPCs that populate this world.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Clarste posted:

That's how I thought of her too. Tentarafoo for life.

Seriously. I don't know if they buffed the hit rate or something, but I have never seen status ailments connect this frequently in any SMT game before this. It's a welcome change.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Hunt11 posted:

What I like the most about that scene is that Ann saves herself. Instead of having the party come in and save the helpless girl the party show that despite everything trying to crush her that she still has people who will support her and then they challenge Ann to prove that Kamoshida is full of poo poo herself.

Well, considering that epiphanies give you superpowers in this universe, the main character likely knew what was going to happen when he encouraged Ann to fight Kamoshida. Doesn't take away the drama of the situation, but given what he's seen, getting people to rise up and stand for themselves is the tactically-sensible option as well.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
If I'm going to be honest, I actually consider Ryuji to be the weaker link in the overall party lineup. If Ann's facing an enemy with a Fire resistance, her damage suffers for it, yes, but she's got other options that still let her contribute to the party, such as healing or applying statuses. On the other hand, if an enemy has a Physical resistance, then Ryuji doesn't have the SP to sustain his magic for very long, and his Electric magic isn't that strong to begin with. I didn't end up using Ryuji too often in my first playthrough, and I don't feel like I lost much.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Fun story, the first time I played this game, I had no idea that you could get SP-recovery drinks from vending machines, so I did the first dungeon basically cold turkey, just using whatever I could find in the dungeon itself.

Needless to say, it was a three-day job. Live and learn, I guess.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Concerning training, it's probably not worth it unless you have literally nothing to do, which is unlikely to happen in a first playthrough. What happens is you get three or four sessions of 5 HP, then the protagonist gets used to that exercise and only gets 1 HP that day. Then you do a new exercise for 6 HP, only to get 1 HP again once you're used to THAT exercise, and so on.

And if you're thinking, "Great! I'm in NG+ and don't have social stats to grind. Let's just crank that sucker all the way to 999 HP!" then I have unfortunate news. Eventually you stop improving and training becomes basically useless. In the long and short run, it's just an absolute waste of time.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

ChaosArgate posted:

What I don't understand about the armor washing thing is why you're not allowed to read a book while you wait.

Or why doing a single load takes the entire afternoon, but that's the limitations of the day/night system in a nutshell.

The big benefit of laundering clothes is that the armors you find tend to be superior to the stuff you could buy around the same time. Worst-case scenario, laundered armor can fetch a ton of yen down the line, while I think they only sell for 200 yen if they're dirty.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I really like what they did for the non-party social links in this game. It actually feels like every character you add to your retinue provides you with a concrete benefit. Ironically, in my first playthrough I ended up blowing off most of my party members in favor of things like better medical supplies, just because the bonuses of party member confidants seemed to pale in comparison to the stuff you got from NPC's.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
I think the reservation that Ryuji's having here is that, good intentions or not, we did just kinda brainwash a dude. Even if he was the scummiest person on earth, I'd still be asking myself if I should be wielding that kind of power if I was in that situation.

And I guess it doesn't help that, rather than the party just chasing after Kamoshida of their own volition, the game puts a personal impetus on them to take him down, otherwise their necks are on the line too. Obviously necessary from a gameplay standpoint, but from a narrative view, it makes the group seem like they're changing his heart to save their own skins, not to see justice done.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Bear in mind, Mishima's head was on the chopping block too, since Kamoshida was going to expel him as well. While we were mostly saving ourselves, our actions also ended up benefiting Mishima in a huge way. No surprise that he's gone full fanboy on us.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Treasure demons are a lot easier in this game because of their passivity. No getting a nigh-guaranteed crit and using the extra turn to run away. Also, they don't dodge attacks, or if they can, their evasion isn't high. Very good changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Yeah, if you're not maxing the politician, you're missing out on a lot of good bonuses and a fun social link. Whoever says to stop at rank 2 is doing it wrong.