Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

This night is a profound tragedy on every level. It is a cancer upon my soul.

Ah, come on, it's not that bad! You're not in jail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

That’s clearly not true.

Dude, look at your room. Just look at it!

And meanwhile I'm just trying to envision Sojiro's reaction to seeing a maid troop upstairs past him every few days. :psyduck:

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

This is embarrassing for all of us, Maaku.

No it isn't! :allears:

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's pretty amazing considering he basically killed his mother.

It's more understandable when you realize that Yusuke has no real memories of his mother (as he admits) but does have memories of Madarame as his teacher in something that he loves a great deal. Yes, those are tainted memories, but the bond between a teacher and pupil is pretty strong.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

(confusion at the continued use of the word “mafia” rather than “yakuza”)

Yes, this is accurate -- in the last couple of decades, the various yakuza organizations have been challenged for territory in Japan by criminal organizations that don't even make a pretense of observing yakuza traditions, some of which style themselves "mafia" despite having no connections to any of the Italian or Sicilian crime families.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

I don’t know what you’re talking about, Mika’s great. I also believe that’s the last we ever see of her, but what an impression she made!

Nope, she shows up one more time.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
That would make sense for the version where Hifumi is mission control.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

If it weren't for the shared goal I'm pretty sure Futaba and Yusuke would ultimately kill each other.

I think they enjoy not getting along too much for that.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Wait, is this for real?! :psyduck: I honestly thought Shiho would return to the cast after this school trip and become either the next party member or a Confidant. Like she's the first person in Shujin to have been nice to Maaku, she's the one who suffered the most from Kamoshida the school's incompetence, and she probably would have a huge beef against lovely adults taking advantage of youths. Why would she get dropped???

They told you right from the start that her parents were going to be moving her to a different school. I agree that she would have been a pretty cool Confidant.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

And that new school? Yasogami High. Just watch it happen.

That would be an interesting way to bring her back in the inevitable Persona 5 Arena Infinimax, with Shiho in Labrys' role. But only if they can talk Tamura Yukari into doing her voice.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
TheDavies: Attempt #1

The path that we walk is one opposed to law and virtue, in which we lead a double life. Some have spoken in favor of romancing Makoto, to further tempt her away from law and virtue. Yet there is another, better way to demonstrate our contempt for the mundane, our ability to dismiss the pathetic banality of real life. There is someone out there who has also abandoned law and virtue, who was living a double life long before we were. And to romance this individual is itself a crime! Yes -- romance Kawakami!#

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 11, 2018

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
The way I see it, Mishima's confidant represents one of the very few unalloyed triumphs in this game. We were able to get to him and make him change his ways before he started doing damage to the people around him (like ever other Mementos job) or turned his internal reality into a nightmare vision (like every other Mementos job would have eventually done if not for our intervention). It's not that he's not worth a boss fight ... it's that he's not yet that far gone as to need one.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
It depends on how much drugs we're talking about. If it's enough, even if they survived, the driver -- assuming that he wasn't just strapped into the seat with a brick holding down the accelerator -- might have been too far out of it to tell the police anything about what happened.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Omobono posted:

For some of the targets it makes sense: for example Kamoshida could easily decide to wait a couple weeks for the general assembly, especially because he knew he'd have to confess in a way to make impossible for the principal to suppress.

I find it difficult to believe that he was behaving that rationally.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

Heh… simple enough. There’s still no proof that another suspect exists. That said, it’s safe enough to say that you aren’t the murdering type.

Is it really? That’s kind of a big leap there, Sae.

If he were the murdering type, a certain bald-headed individual he's supposed to have attacked would be dead.. Also, he's admitting to having "attacked" a bunch of other people, only one of whom died. The pattern of his actions doesn't support the idea of him as a killer.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

OH gently caress

If so, those occurrences back in spring can be attributed to them as well. Moreover…

In fairness, this is not necessarily Sojro making an association between the Phantom Thieves and his lodger so much as it's making an association between Futaba, her change of behavior and the Phantom Thieves. And possibly more than that, given his history with Futaba's mother.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

Given the weight the story has given to the troubles faced by Makoto, I don’t really blame her for not mentioning her sister’s Palace sooner. Case or no case, Sae is Makoto’s only relative and her feelings of love and admiration are plain; even if I knew things were hopeless, I’d at least try to find another way to deal with the twisted heart, or so I’d like to believe. Hard enough believing someone you love might be evil, much less admit it to your friends!

As well, in every case so far, the major targets of the Phantom Thieves have been people who have a palace and who have actually harmed someone -- even if that someone is themselves, as with Futaba. Makoto might know that Sae is becoming emotionally distorted -- and the conversations that they've had are ample evidence -- but so far as Makoto (and everyone else) knows, she hasn't caused anyone any harm, yet.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

So, it seems you were looking into a particular company...
I just spent the last hour talking about how we took down their boss!
Did you have a reason to be looking into their affairs?
I told you, we were trying to save his daughter from being married! We went over this!
Was there someone you knew who was connected to Mr. Okumura?
Are you even listening?

I think it's possible that the interrogation scenes that correspond to the protagonist's 'deals' might take place out of synch with the protagonist's narration of their story. Remember, during the interrogation the protagonist has been drugged.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Well, she is definitely doing her part to correctly embody Milady de Winter.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Have we ever had a movie about an entire precinct of loose cannons?

To a degree, The Last Action Hero.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Leraika posted:

I'm not 100% sure I know what's going on, other than the fact that Maaku somehow faked being shot in the head?

Oh no, Maaku was shot in the head all right. You don't get much more shot in the head than he was.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

What's the voting age in Japan anyway, 20?

Four years ago you'd have been correct; it was lowered to 18 in 2015.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm more concerned with the question of "why is most of Japan under water in Shido's palace?" I get the ship theme, but why go that far?

Because Shido, like most megalomaniacs, thinks of himself as the end of history. And the idea of Japan sinking has a fairly long history.

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 18, 2018

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Omobono posted:

Speaking of Akechi, I've got some speculation that isn't spoilers anymore, so I might as well share.

1. I don't recall the game ever stating it outright, but he's Wakaba's killer isn't he?

Most probably; his and Shido's little exposition rant suggest that he's Shido's only Persona-user, and so the only one who could enter Wakaba's mind and cause it to shut down as it did.

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 23, 2018

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

Akechi too. I can’t believe they’re calling hi mthe detective of the century! Plus they’re treating the Phantom Thieves like criminals.
Um, Futaba, we are criminals. We've always been criminals. We have to be criminals.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

It always bugged me how often they use the word "teammates" in this game instead of just calling the rest of the Phantom Thieves your friends.

On the other hand, you don't often make "deals" with your friends, either; you do stuff for your friends without making a big deal out of it.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

conspirator: "Man i'm really glad he bought that line about it being temporary"

Unlikely given the cult of personality megalomaniacs usually cultivate.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
I'm a bit annoyed that Futaba's Valentine's day conversation mentions Kana, and Makoto's conversation elliptically references her social link ... but that Ann's doesn't mention Shiho at all.

Ah well.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Holy poo poo Atlus how do you get worse at this over 8 years? :gonk:

... why would you operate under the belief that they were going to improve?

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

I was going to make a joke about letting us romance Sae, you cowards,

Given that I think Sae is coded as being lesbian, I would find that more of a violation of her established character than I do Ohya's romance.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Aerdan posted:

i read her as being more ace than anything else, really. Wedded to her job, as it were.

Plausible.

Qrr posted:

She is? How so?

Her height, her hairstyle, but mostly her costuming; like Ohya, and unlike most of the female characters, she wears pants rather than a skirt. There's also the "go get married" scene, which can be read as just referencing her sex but becomes a double insult if she's homosexual.

Yes, I know these are stereotypes. That's pretty much how coding works.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Next you're going to tell me Sojiro isn't my dad! :mad:

Well, no, he's not. He's an avuncular figure, but he's not your parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's the only way that scene makes sense, but you'd still think Sojiro would want to impose Consequences on Maaku. Even a stern lecture would be better than just covering for him!

My guess would be that Sojiro, in his storied youth, did things that were almost this stupid, and so he feels a certain kinship for the protagonist.