Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

resurgam40 posted:

and P4's protagonist... well... was many things,

Well, to be fair, in-game P4 Protagonist is a standard blank-slate guy.

For the anime, both of them, he's basically being remote controlled by someone who is trying to 100% Persona 4 as efficiently as possible.

Which is bold and hilarious at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mauman posted:

Do note that I'm not implying that Dojima is a bad person. He's a good guy who just happens to be imperfect when it comes to his parenting.

I dunno...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mauman posted:

Just watched this weeks Zero Punctuation, which is P5.

I had to check outside to make sure the skies weren't blood red and seas boiling.

He actually LIKED the game.

Also, I remember fondly the himdaisy comics, but let's face it, that situation is exaggerated a bit :)

I mean he made a comparison to Mass Effect Andromeda so you could take it like he accepts it like a lesser of two evils.

I'm fairly certain that man cannot enjoy anything.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Will Power is truly one of the best themes in the entire game because it makes you feel like a badass when it plays.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoig posted:

I feel arsene is wasted as a starter persona, and would actually probably have worked as a persona you could have for the whole game in its own little slot, for reasons I may elaborate way way later. Suffice to say, I love his design and It makes me very disappointed he tends to be gone faster than you can say "au revoir"

This is exactly what happens in P3 and P4 as well though, "Boss rear end starter persona becomes irrelevant after 5 levels, congrats on learning the downside of the Wild Card, chump."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Larryb posted:

I know they already made a little OVA type thing for P5 not long ago but I'm curious if they're going to follow the trend and make a full series out of it eventually.

The Daybreakers follows some sidequest in this game and goes into more detail than the game actually does about said sidequest, but it has characters we have yet to meet in it so it's sorta spoilery.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GeneX posted:

Actually, it's because the talking cat is an awful character and I like to pretend it doesn't exist

But we have such a more unlikable character coming at a later date!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mister Olympus posted:

More so than you think. Check out P4, it's basically a love letter to Jojos 4.

P3 also has nods to Part 3 as well.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dasmause posted:

Well his english voice actor also voiced Nier from... Nier, AKA Dad of the Year All Years, so it's probably voice acting

And Iron Tager from Blazblue, and Lord Jaraxxus from WoW, and Garen from League of Legends.

Basically Sojiro goes against his stereotype of well known Big Burly Men.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dasmause posted:

Well P1 does have 28 damage types, they don't have to invent a bicycle for a long time

Did P1 have Nuclear?

Edit: It did, and so did P2. Huh.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 25, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

RareAcumen posted:

That's kinda how recruiting new party members went in 4, honestly.

A weird spin on the Touhou approach of "beat people up to make them your friends".

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Clarste posted:

Captain Kidd is significant because he was betrayed by the authorities (he was a privateer who was sold out by his employers). This connects him to Ryuji who was betrayed by his coach.

I mean to be fair his crew that he adored was a bunch of shitheels who stole things under his nose so he was branded a pirate, unaware of anything until he got back to New York.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mauman posted:

I always held on to this theory myself.

The main character was the leader of the bunch (or face of the band if you will), but Yosuke was the man behind the man or driving force, so to speak. Though one notable exception was avoiding the bad endings.

Basically P4's plot hook is, "let's go along with what Yosuke says." "Except that."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Haifisch posted:

:psyduck: Why is it even a feature, then? Unless it was planned to be more important & they just didn't bother taking it out.

Perhaps maybe earlier in the game's development Joker had separate stats from his Personas, and could have a base of every stat that his Persona added on?

Then they realized that was dumb and made it what it is now?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Materant posted:

I've come to realize I absolutely adore Forget. It sticks to so much and so much spam their skills.

To most enemies, Forget is like, the third version of Freeze. I don't think Atlus really thought it through too well honestly, most enemies will keep trying to use their skills through the entire duration of it and it's free hits forever.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

freshlybaked posted:

I can't wait for us to beat up the devil twice.

Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Personally I'll take Morgana's little-kid crush on Ann over Teddie's creeping on everything female any day.

What's wrong with Bear Brock?

Who also cross dresses.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ChaosArgate posted:

The velvet room is a reflection of the visitor's heart, or something like that. Makoto's journey was a climb up to the top of tartarus, so he got an elevator I guess, and I guess Yu saw himself as a swanky VIP?

I always thought of Yu's vision of the Velvet Room was a limo on a foggy night, the vessel that delivers him to the truth behind the veil of lies.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this

Is a reference.

To everyone's favorite brick wall boss from When They Were Young(er) And Bad At SMT Games.

To my knowledge, Force was replaced by Wind after Nocturne, thus, you are required to get Magaru instead of Mazan.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Arcsech posted:

I believe both Sun and Temperance get plot-locked after a certain date.

This is correct.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GhostStalker posted:

Remember all those jokes about Persona 5: Dancing All Afternoon (because Morgana won't let you go out at night)? Well, Atlus just announced Persona 5: Dancing Star Night, alongside Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night earlier today. The milking of Persona 5 has begun. Sasuga Atlus.

The thing that makes me angry about this announcement is they started the P3 Dancing trailer with Burn My Dread and got me incredibly hyped.

Then I realized it's a dancing game.

Then I saw the character models and am upset they're for a dancing game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PetraCore posted:

...oh right, I forget that Persona is a SMT spinoff. :downs:

They might be considering it its own thing now, given Persona 5 dropped the SMT prefix.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

"We are giving The Kitchen back to you, the people."