Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Chie and Rise were the best. Chie was kind of rude to Yosuke, though, doing things like spending his money without asking.

She also overreacted to him breaking her DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It looks like he mostly just limited himself to some dusting, tossing out all those bags of trash she had piled up around the room, gathering up all those papers that were strewn across the floor and then sweeping/mopping the place.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Wait, if they didn’t know if it was a murder or a suicide, how did they accuse her of killing him?

If the Ace Attorney games have taught me anything, it's that the Japanese criminal justice system isn't concerned with such trivial matters as "catching the actual guilty party." All they care about is that someone is found guilty and punished for the crime, to help maintain the illusion that the system works.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

#Millennials’s popularity is still going strong. Merchandise of them has even been produced, and sales have been very good due to their appeal. With their popularity still rising, this Phantom Thieves boom will continue for a while yet.

This is something that's bugged the hell out of me ever since I played this game - exactly what kind of merchandise are we talking about here? I mean, nobody knows who the Phantom Thieves are, or presumably what they look like... all the public really has to go on at the moment is the logo on the calling cards.

So seriously, how the gently caress do you spin that into a profitable merchandising boom?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kal-L posted:

If only we knew some Hackermanwoman that could, say, empty their bank accounts, forward their e-mail adresses to spam sites, and cancel their internet service, but alas!

But that's not our aesthetic!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I tended to do them in groups of 4-5. Enough to make it worth the time to actually go in, but not enough to drive me insane from the tedium of exploring for so long.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

cdyoung posted:

Can I just raise a simple point here?

None of these characters are real. I fail to see why people are bending into pretzels over fictional characters in fictional situations.

Because those fictional characters in fictional situations inspire real emotions in people because they resonate with the audience. That's the whole loving point of fiction, to provoke an emotional response from the audience.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

cdyoung posted:

Makoto has a *licence.*

Sae has the *motorcycle.*

Pretty sure they were referring to her Persona, the Bike Pope Johanna.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

And someone animate it for Protag and Ryuji.

Hey, there's kinda a minor spoiler in that one there buddy, might wanna rethink posting that just yet.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The only time I remember the AOA cut-in during the Persona 4 anime was during the King's Game, where it was used to show the rest of the party reacting to Yu's command when his turn as King came up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress THIS SECTION OF THE PALACE. I ended up fighting every single one of those Chief Director-looking fucks because of the mistranslation and the obfuscated dialogue before I found the right one.

Whoever was in charge of this section needs to get punched in the goddamn throat. Both the original and the localized version. :argh:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

W.T. Fits Attempt #1

We should date Haru because I dated Makoto back when I played through this the first time, and I wanna see Haru's romance stuff without having to replay the game myself or looking it up on YouTube.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is the game about rebellion against society and doing what you feel is right even when told it is wrong or to ignore a problem. The previous games did not have that theme, nor did they have a female social link with a teacher last I remember.

3 does, but you don't find out that it's your teacher until you're partway through the link due to you meeting them and getting to know them anonymously in an online game at the start of the link. And you never actually meet with them in person for your link events, so dating never comes up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That is simply patriarchy everywhere; the same issues are prevalent everywhere in the world. Organized crime and the human trafficking of women is omnipresent, but it definitely ramps up in larger cities and more patriarchal cultures.

Guess what Japan has plenty of in both cases? I don't feel like throwing it out in this thread because it's a feel good thread about fighting the powa, but ~the water trade~ (ugh, that loving term) is loving poo poo in Japan in ways that are far-reaching and serious.
How old are these kids anyway? I remember in Uni most of our Japanese teachers were like, early twenties and for a lot of us studying, they were even younger than us

I don't know if it's that hosed up for a 17-18 year old to be loving a 25 year old, but then again Icelanders are not known for sweating the small stuff on poo poo like that

I think the general rule of thumb when it comes to ages in these games is that first years in high school will be around 15-16, second years will be around 16-17, and third years will be 17-18. Futuba's slightly younger than the rest, I think she's probably only around 14-15.

It was easier to know how old everyone was in Persona 3 and Persona 4 because those characters had actual given birth dates and ages listed in supplemental material, and the events of those games specifically took place in 2009-2010 and 2011-2012.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, it's one of those weird things that's a consequence of the game design where they expect you to do the dungeon gradually over the course of the month and finish it near the end... but the actual most efficient course from an optimization standpoint is to just clear the drat thing immediately in the minimum number of required days, so that you don't have to deal with your various confidants/social links deciding they'd rather not hang out with you because the dungeon's not clear yet.

So you wind up with situations like this where Okamura's Shadow has been dead for over two weeks, but he doesn't actually die until the deadline for Haru being given away. Or stuff like Futaba and the majority of the Persona 4 crew, where if you clear the dungeon and rescue them at the earliest opportunity, they're out of commission for like a month, but if you wait until the very last minute, they show up the next day no worse for the wear and the plot continues. :shrug:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

But why did they target Okumura-san…?

... Uh, Makoto? Remember how you were all just watching the press conference and expecting him to spill the beans about who's behind the mental shutdowns? Did it not occur to you that maybe... just maybe... whoever's behind the mental shutdowns might be perfectly willing to kill him to keep that information from coming to light? Especially given that pretty much the whole world knew at this point that he'd been targeted by the Phantom Thieves for a change of heart?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kevos Setzer posted:

Haru still has to tell them about the calling card in the principal's office. I hope they don't spend an entire day sitting around asking how he got a card when they never targeted him. Maybe, just maybe, the Phantom Thieves are being set up for the mental shutdowns? These guys seem pretty stupid, though. The team could use a Naoto to make "insightful deductions" to keep the team moving forward (read: keep the plot from stalling out because nobody knows nothin').

I try to rationalize it as them still being in shock over what just happened, and them not having the benefit of what the 3rd person observers in the audience have seen, but it still comes across as kind of a dumb question from the team member who's supposed to be "the smart one."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

I’m not a bad guy… am I…?

But I won… I’m the stronger one…! So how am I… the bad guy…?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmuF-0P4tk

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

You're doing it right now,

Good.

Deltasquid posted:

and he's very upset

Good.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Dojima leaving his daughter at home alone after getting a threat delivered to that very home will never not be the dumbest thing about Persona 4.

A close second would be the Yu trying to explain things in the interrogation room, and not using the goddamn TV that's sitting RIGHT THERE ON THE TABLE to prove that he's telling the truth. I mean seriously, even if you can't enter it all the way, you could at least shove your whole arm in up to the shoulder or something to prove that you're not full of poo poo about this whole "entering TVs" thing. :bang:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

But the look on your face isn’t one of defeat… Why is that…?

I just wanna say I really love that top dialogue choice here.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Music: The Whims of Fate (Listen to this)

This is one of the best songs in the game, which is fitting, because this is also the best Palace by a comfortable margin.

No seriously, listen to this if you haven't yet. I would definitely put this as a top contender for best song in the game, and it absolutely is the best Palace theme, no contest.

Also, I still love how Goro suddenly gets all excited when he finds out the calling card is a necessary step of the process and not just for the sake of theatrics. He's such a massive dork. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Whims of Fate is the best song in the game. I feel like it's flashiness comes out of nowhere relative to the other palace tracks, which also fits from a narrative perspective because the game has been one big build up for the player learning the full context of the in media res opening. This whole section of the game is pretty fantastic in its aesthetics.

Like Shadow Sae. Shadow Sae is amazing. It's so different from her civvy get up, but it also kinda really fits after the initial shock wears off. And her winged eyeliner is badass.

Actually, the eyeliner is what basically ruins her look for me. Everything else she's got going on is great, though.

Robindaybird posted:

I think I'd like the eyeliner if it weren't so thick, but overall I am digging the Goth Noir look

Yeah, that's basically my problem with it; less is more, as they say.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 25, 2018

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Did… Did they scramble Kotaro’s brain because they’re bad people?
What? Who told you that? Don’t worry. Everyone’s all right, OK…?

This cuts more deeply than any of the trash talk on the Phansite or the other gossip going around town. :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I remember when the first Dissidia game came out in the west, people complained about how bad some of the dubbing was, and Kuja's VA actually responded that the only voice direction he got basically boiled down to, "Try to mimic the Japanese VA as much as you can."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Wasn't Rise supposedly the "optimal" choice for vanilla P4 because she gave you a -50% SP accessory during your Christmas date, which you could use in the "secret" actually final dungeon? Golden added an additional dungeon with which to use said accessory, IIRC.

The additional dungeon in Golden had the gimmick of locking you out of your normal inventory and equipment until the boss fight. Because it was done by the team that worked on Strange Journey, and they wanted to remind you that :atlus: hates you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

A Bystander posted:

As far as I could tell, Naoto doesn't take corruption lightly. Coupled with the police stations that ask for her help telling her to buzz off once the thing's over to foster resentment and I'd imagine she'd be the first to blow the whistle at the first sign of trouble.

Yeah, the whole reason she ends up joining the Investigation Team was that she made herself a target to get kidnapped because she didn't believe the real perpetrator of the incidents had been caught when Mitsuo was arrested, but the higher-ups in the Inaba police politely told her to kindly gently caress off so they could just close the book on the case and be done with it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Gotta wonder how Haru manages to have a totally unique uniform for both seasons without the faculty complaining, but she pulls it off.

I suspect it has something to do with a combination of having a kindly disposition and being filthy stinking rich.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most of the faculty really doesn't give a poo poo about how the students dress, as long as they're wearing the basic uniform. I think the most we've seen in the way of teachers complaining about students not adhering to the dress code was Kawakami being upset that Ryuji keeps dying his hair blonde.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm remembering what comes next, and I'm not looking forward to it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I hate the Hall of Darkness.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Nick Buntline posted:

IIRC, there's actually more changes than that: the Rank 10 event does have him figuring out you're in the Phantom Thieves (same as all the others), and when the plot event comes up later it drops the equivalent lines about your membership and just focuses on "why did Futaba get a card?".

It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but it's still basically the only time in the game a plot event acknowledges a Confidant's progress, so :)

That's not right; I very distinctly remember getting Sojiro's Rank 10 scene before the plot event where he finds the calling card you gave Futaba, and it stood out to me that he was the only non-party member Confidant up to that point who didn't figure out that I was a Phantom Thief.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

:atlus:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It's the Persona 3 Portable Female Protagonist. After the next update, we're going to have a bunch of flashbacks to every major scene in the game, where it'll be revealed that she was just off camera the entire time and always piped up in conversations at the very end after everyone else had spoken.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What even was the point of SIU Director?

Allow me to summarize:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

All this talk about overexplaining makes me wonder if we're in for some kind of Metal Gear Solid 4 length cutscene.

Let's just say you might want to bring a sandwich or two.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thinking about it, getting a Persona means going through one or two of the 5 stages of grief. For the record: first is Denial, second Anger, third Bargaining, fourth Depression, and finally Acceptance. Denial and Acceptance go with Persona 4, Anger with Persona 5, and Depression with Persona 3.

Persona 5 also features Bargaining. Pretty much all the Persona Awakenings we see over the course of the game involve the character's Shadow mentioning forming a contract or a pact for their power.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

When you’re in the Metaverse, Mona talks like a normal person. Once you hear that and your brain realizes he can actually talk, you start to understand him in reality.

Wait, what? She should be able to hear him! She’s been to a Palace, and Akechi had never heard Morgana before in the Metaverse! Which is it, game?

Sae was inside her own Palace, but she never heard Morgana talk while she was in there. Thus, to her, Morgana in the real world still sounds like a normal cat. As for Akechi...

SoundwaveAU posted:

Regarding Morgana's voice, I think the implication is that Akechi was spying on the group. He would have had to have been doing that really early, though. I don't think it's crazy if he happened to see them in Madarame's palace or something, because Madarame did specifically mention the guy with the black mask, so Akechi was roaming around Madarame's palace in the same general timeframe.

Yeah, basically this.

quote:

We knew he was alive, but… It was difficult to not worry until we could confirm it in person. We knew he was live, but… it was difficult to not worry until we could confirm it in person.

Duplicate line here.