Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Add me to the "got multiple copies to proc when crafting the Eternal Lockpick" club. I think I made that one during class and it ended up giving me three copies.

I was super disappointed to learn that the Eternal Lockpick doesn't carry over to New Game+. :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

When I originally started playing, I had intended to romance Haru because I liked what little I'd seen of her in the previews before the game came out (I especially dig her musketeer getup), but once I actually started playing, I ended up going with Makoto simply because of how much sooner she was available in game and also because I found her interactions both before and after joining the group to be endearing.

So when I had to tell Haru that I just wanted to be friends when she was very clearly crushing hard on the protagonist, I felt twice as lovely. :(

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

No pain, no gain.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Req.Martyr posted:

So, everyone has a pretty imposing cut in during battle.

Does anyone else notice that Haru's features that very specific type of eye that they usually use for like... A tired Yakuza about to kill someone?

Haru is not playing.

I still love how Akechi's cut in looks like it would be more at home in Persona 3 or 4 than among the Persona 5 crew. A subtle clue that he doesn't really belong with the Phantom Thieves.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

So in the Japanese dialogue, rather than affecting a terribly fake British accent, does Ann just switch to English or something as part of her deception?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Personally, I think it would've been better if instead of being one of the people funding Shido, Madarame had just ripped him off with a fake Sayuri and Shido sent Akechi after him after having it authenticated and revealed as a fake.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

As a back tattoo that should match the ink that dude already has, sure, it's not ideal. But that phoenix looks dope and you can't convince me otherwise.

It doesn't really fit with the traditional Yakuza tattoo aesthetic, but it's still a sweet design that would make for an impressive tattoo.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm just amused that Shido's cognition of Akechi is that of a raving psychopath only barely hidden behind his "pleasant boy" exterior.

In other words, Shido's basically had Akechi pegged for who he really was from the word "go."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Omobono posted:

Lala is somewhere buying a bottle of really good booze and putting Maaku's name on it, for when he's 18.

Legal drinking age in Japan is 20.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Wh-What’s wrong, Senpai?
...It’s my loss, Kouhai.
So it’s just like Shido said… Political power backed by just vanity and lies isn’t needed.

I have no idea what these pick-up artists are talking about, but that’s nothing new.

Christmas is generally seen as a romantic holiday for couples in Japan. Given the story arc for these two chucklefucks, I'm guessing that "Senpai" hasn't been able to score any dates recently, and assumes that his "Kouhai" has been managing to get lucky behind his back. He's upset because the Christmas decorations are reminding him that he's a dateless loser, and that he's going to spend Christmas alone. The other guy, for his part, has no idea what the gently caress is going on and was presumably just trying to talk about current events before the first guy snapped.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Miz Kriss posted:

At this time of year at this time of day in this part of the country located entirely within the Velvet Room?

Yes!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I love the Igor twist as it takes advantage of the fact of a VA change to slip in a traitor who you could never expect but at the same time was hinted at since the very beginning.

And it was hinted at in the very beginning:

This line right here was the hint that something is off and this isn't Igor... because in the previous games, the real Igor welcomes you to the Velvet Room, and treats you as a guest, but never actually claims ownership of it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

And that's why I can't hate Mishima.

Also, was super glad to see YAAAAAAAAAS guy back on the poll ticker. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

*slaps joker’s head* this nasty crime boy can hold so much satan in it

There we go, much better.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Clarste posted:

Yeah, it's dumb that you're not allowed to tell your girlfriend what's going on. Like, is there even a reason to keep it a secret? It's just so they don't need to write multiple scenes of the gang finding out.

I was dating Makoto on my playthrough, and if I recall right, she actually figured it out on her own at the end of the date. Which makes sense, given that she lives with Sae and knows how her sister thinks.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mishima's a good kid. I mean, yeah, he's a dumb gently caress up who tries way too hard and screws up a lot... but at least he tries. At least he puts himself out there and tries to make a difference instead of just giving up. He's come a long way from the mentally and physically abused kid who let everyone else push him around because it was easier to sit there and endure it than it was to take a stand. And he still has a long way to go, but at least he's putting in the effort.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Makoto clearly gets it the worst, because it goes from cool bike she can ride to transformer bike she can't ride.

I disagree, because I like the clear visual symbolism involved. Makoto's inner-self goes from being a vehicle that has no will of its own and can only go where it's steered by others into being a free-willed, sentient being that's capable of thinking for itself and making its own decisions.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

that 'Hello my baby, hello my honey' frog from the Looney Toons cartoons

His name is Michigan J. Frog.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I genuinely forgot he existed.

GeneX posted:

he just sort of died at some point, his purpose (the writers jerking themselves off about how clever their villains are) served

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, he ate a mental shutdown courtesy of Akechi (almost wrote Adachi there, whoops) on orders of Shido around the time Maaku was "assassinated". Tying up loose ends and all that, as he had outlived his usefulness narratively in more ways than one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Madmarker posted:

He's still an annoying twat-nozzle, and easily...at least in my opinion...the worst thing about Persona 5.

Counterpoint: the creepy gay couple from the red light district who kept sexually harassing Ryuji.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Don't worry about carrying around the painting, I'm fairly certain that Yusuke would have had the foresight to spend the remainder of his food budget on a high-end carrying case for it to make it easy to take with you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

To an extent, I mostly just think of him as a Legendary rear end in a top hat. The only person he tricked was Polyphemus.

He tricked the suitors that were harassing his wife and abusing sacred hospitality in his home by letting them think he was just a beggar before he reclaimed his legendary bow and murdered the poo poo out of all of them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ryotaro Dojima, Nanako's dad, starts off a poo poo parent, but gets better over the course of the game (his massive fumble in arresting his nephew not withstanding).

Also, Hanged Man from 3, Tower from 4, and Tower from 5 also have parents show up on screen. And Temperance from 4 is a step-mother.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 24, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

If I remember right, Akihiko and Shinjiro were orphans? And Junpei's dad was kind of... not great, in the same way that Ryuji's is.

But my memories on 3 are fuzzy.

Yeah, Akihiko and Shinji were both orphans, and Junpei's dad was an abusive piece of poo poo, which is one of the reasons he jumped at the chance to join SEES and move into the dorms.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Wow, you must be exhausted after all that work, Arist.

Why don't you turn in for the night? You should really get some sleep.

Seriously, though, thanks for the LP. You did a great job on it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

KILLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEE

Nah, you're fine. Technically Persona 5 Royale with Cheese would count as a different game than base Persona 5, so you're not obligated to cover any of the new content for that one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

500 hours in MS Paint.

Art. :golfclap:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Personas 3-5 have a weird obsession with the whole "forbidden student/teacher relationship" trope.

First off, you have Kenji and his whole "I'm gonna date a teacher!" plan, where you're required to encourage him to pursue it.

Then you have the Hermit link, where it's revealed that "Maya" is your own homeroom teacher, and that she has a crush on you (though she doens't realize that you're the person she's been playing the MMO with). And then at the end when she discovers it was you the whole time, she actually asks you out before retracting it because she realizes it's inappropriate.

Persona 4 appears to subvert this with Kashiwagi, but in the end, it feels more like the game is condemning Kashiwagi herself for being old and having an odious personality than it is condemning the idea of teacher/student relationships.

Then come Persona 5 and your very first story arc is centered around a teacher abusing his position and his power over the students in a horrible way that makes it seem like someone on the team finally realized, "Oh, hey, hosed up power dynamics like this aren't actually cool or sexy and it's actually a really loving horrible thing."

... but then you unlock the Temperance Confidant and it's just... why. :cripes:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 18, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

... but then you unlock the Temperance Confidant and it's just... why. :cripes:

Arist posted:

Uh yeah, about that

next update should be

interesting

Arist posted:

But… I’m a teacher… And you’re my student…

Thanks, I hate it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Plus wasn't wanting to marry Jasmine as much a political power-play as anything else? Marry into the royal family, off the sultan, take over?

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RE3Td77qo&t=65s

That being said, later on in the movie, Jasmine attempted to distract Jafar by seducing him, and he seemed pretty into it, though whether that was because he was attracted to her or because he was just enjoying the power trip is up to interpretation.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

On the other hand Sojiro didn't arrest Joker for dumbshit plot reasons.

On that note, props to Sae for taking a kid with a criminal record at his word when she interrogated him and he offered zero actual proof that his crazy story was true.

Whereas Dojima didn't trust the kid who had been living under his own roof and taking care of his daughter for him for over half a year by this point. This occurs even if you have Dojima's and/or Nanako's Social Links maxed out. Extra fail points for P4 Protagonist himself for not offering to prove his story by shoving his arm or his head or something into the TV that was right there on the table in the interrogation room.

Don't get me wrong, Sae's still terrible, but at least she was willing to take a chance and believe in Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Why does everyone want to gently caress sae anyway

is it the eyeshadow

Nah, if anything, I feel like the eye-shadow completely ruins the look.