Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not worried about the rest of the protagonist's clothes. Just wondering if the pants are going to be a regular thing once we get to school.

This time, all the students are funky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

Update: He just laughs and says, "No need for mere words. Show me your true feelings."

Arsene's dialogue is mostly maniacal laughter, and it rules.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kemix posted:

Eeeeeyup. Even though Magician personas are good at Magic, it's almost kinda upside down how the Magician SLs that pretain to party members (Junpei on P3P's FeMC route through the game and P4's Youske) tend to either be bruisers with Magic (Junpei) or are fairly balanced between the stats (Youske). Ryuji is more the former with a good deal of Physical attacks and the Zio series of spells to hit weaknesses with. He's a good. Though one could consider him Kanji 2.0 without the Bi-Confused "trait" Kanji had in Persona 4. Though I like the kinda guys who are willing to crack their knuckles and get their hands dirty, so both of them get a pass.

Someone else already spoiled it but Ryuji is not the Magician in this game. In fact, this game is actually the best of the series in corresponding the thematic meanings of each Arcana to their corresponding character, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

"Wassup, Persona" instantly made Ryuji the best "best bro" character in the series for me, and despite some rough patches, that opinion never changed for me

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost of Starman posted:

Like, okay, cool, Kamoshida's castle has a bunch of Shadow-knights, that makes sense... and then SPLOOOSH they turn into Pixies and Pyro Jacks from a loving 25-year-old SNES game. And I bet our poor protagonist is going to get stuck with at least one or two Personas that are as underwhelming as the Mitama(s) from 3 & 4. Are they doing it to maintain kind-of-the-last real link to mainline SMT? Purely out of a sense of tradition? It can't be strictly to save by reusing assets (at least, not any more).

One of the disadvantages of a LP, screenshot or otherwise, is that some of the detail work is missed. For instance, from the enemies we've seen thus far, Incubus has a few really cool details in the model, and the HD models are overall pretty lovingly detailed. A few get updates, but I do think it's a tradition thing, though its important to remember that enemies in previous games had more "weird" designs since Persona 3's take on Shadows. Persona 5 does though feel like the most Shin Megami Tensei of the modern Persona games, for a lot of reasons, while also putting its own personal stamp as you noted with its strong thematic design.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
*snipped*

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 28, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
My bad, I completely forgot which thread we were in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like a recent example was when Kamoshida says "You desire to be killed that much? Fine." It's a bit stiff, but the voice direction in this game eases it a lot because the menace of the character legitimizes the phrasing. Sometimes the stiffness even works in its favor with characters meandering in a way that for me was believable. I never really at any point was really taken out of it until examples were pointed out to me, but I can at least recognize that it could have used the pass.