Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Rawkking posted:

I think I get this reference but the LP I was following died before I could be sure :argh:

I think you may be thinking too hard about it, then! It's a reference to a cartoon. A cartoon involving a joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Level Seven posted:

Maaku Hamiru, you are Joker after all.

I can't not get behind this.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Sojiro is a bit of whiplash after the incredible Good Dad that was Dojima from P4, but so far he's real interesting. The stuff he's said to Maaku and the stuff he's done for Maaku don't quite line up.

Yeah, it seems like he's considerably more bark than bite, although I'm guessing that'll change if Our Hero really screws up.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Oh thank goodness. The utter absence of comment elsewhere in the thread had lead me to believe I was the only person who saw this.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Hi this LP and the one of Persona 3 are my first exposure to series in any detail, so question: are these things basically chatty Stands? Is that the idea?

You should check out Persona 4, it's literally-

Mister Olympus posted:

More so than you think. Check out P4, it's basically a love letter to Jojos 4.

gently caress; beaten. Yeah, that. I got the reverse experience, since I played P3 and P4, read Stardust Crusaders and went 'oh so that's where it came from', then watched Diamond is Unbreakable and realized just how much of an homage it was.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I had noticed some of the oddly stilted phrasing, yeah. Seemed weird but not weird enough to comment. That said, it does seem a little sad given P4's localization read as naturally and fluidly as something that contained that many instances of the word 'senpai' could read.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I will say I am surprised that Arist did not pick the 'gently caress yes let's do this' options with Ryuji after talking with Ann. Kamoshida was skeevy enough beforehand; I can't help but feel that that little revelation should have been enough to tip Joker over the edge. I suppose he's already been burned on the 'good deed' front?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Really Pants posted:

I'm starting to think Kamoshida isn't all that nice

Just a titch. Irrespective, at this point he presents enough of a threat to our heroes that hollowing him out is less 'a risk we have to take' and more 'heads we win, tails he loses'.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
So, uh, is every single one of our social links either gonna be one of our fellow Persona-wielders or shady as gently caress? 'cuz that doctor is something special, and while I joke about Sojiro being a retired Daisuke Jigen, he's really starting to sound like he's actually a retired criminal of some kind.

e: Also, Haifisch, that is a magnificently disturbing avatar.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I have yet to see a reason to regret adding Junpei to my ignore list. Join me, friends; 'tis not too late to seek a finer world.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That avatar is horrifying. Why are Igor's eyes always bulging?

Also, Sojiro is secretly a huge softy under all of the threats? That's nice.

We did kind of get an indication of this earlier when we showed up super late for class and he basically let us off with a stern look. As long as he's got reason to believe we're no actual harm to anybody I kind of doubt we'll run afoul of him.

vdate fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 9, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Oh hey something I have an opinion on.

Hard Difficulties need to do 3 things.

1. Reward you, more cash, more exp, better drop rates, maybe a game unique feature, At least one of these. And for the love of the gods, dont lower one of the others, that's not a reward.

2. Go nowhere near oneshots from normal attacks, nothing takes the fun out of something like dying before you even know it, especially in action type gameplay with AI party members.

3. Not lock content behind it, its so much suffering to have play the entire game on hard to access the hard only post game that has story content and things at level 200 when you just broke 100.

I'm not sure you fully understand the meaning of 'hard mode'. I'm not saying they should lower drop/xp/money returns either, that mostly just seems tedious, but giving you more of that stuff seems like it renders 'hard mode' largely pointless. It's there for people who want the game to be tougher. Asking them to do more with fewer resources might be a bad idea (inasmuch as it just encourages mindless grinding), but asking them to do more with the same resources is what hard modes are generally all about. Also, asking for a unique gameplay feature in hard mode and then complaining about locking content behind a hard mode seems like a contradiction in terms.

More to the point, though, it seems like only your first point is pertinent to the subject at hand (i.e. Persona 5), unless I'm missing something critical here.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 9, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
As entertaining as using Kamoshida as the sort of training wheels of mental-trauma-and-duress-necessary-to-awaken-a-Persona would be, we do kind of have a time limit. Given the pacing of these games I kind of doubt we'll be meeting any more party members before next month.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

The concept of spoilers pisses me off to no end. Its not about not telling people things or something like that, its specifically about being told things ruining the entire experience which is complete bullshit, it'd have to be a lovely experience you wouldn't enjoy in the first place if you cant enjoy it just by knowing something about it. We should trash the entire concept and get a new one that isnt innately insulting to stories.

Expectations shape response. Telling me about what's going to happen in a work will shape my response to it, and I neither need nor want that, from you or anybody else. I don't care about plot twists or any other thing in particular, but I do want a work to speak for itself the first time around, and spoilers inevitably shape expectation.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Why does Sojiro have all that super-dense reading in his attic? I guess it's possible he got it from somebody, but I like to imagine (per my theory) that it's from his prior life as a Shady Individual. Uh, a highly erudite Shady Individual, apparently.

Also, 'be a more interesting person and maybe the ladies will be more interested in you' is unusually solid advice, as these games (or, y'know, teenagers) go. I'm genuinely kind of surprised to see it from a random NPC; their dating-life chat is usually hilariously dumb if I'm remembering P3 and P4 correctly.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'll admit, that's earlier than I expected fuckin' Mara to show up! Although, it's more like...half of Mara? Did he leave the chariot at home?

e: I seem to have been beaten to the punch/blind to potential symbolism.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Arist posted:

You cheeky motherfuckers.

OK but did you really expect any other answer? At least for the first boss it would legitimately be interesting to get the skin-of-your-teeth experience in addition to the one where everything goes smooth.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'm a little baffled by the sudden presence of Coffee Trivia. I never played Catherine, though, so perhaps all I was missing was being prepared for it by Beer Trivia.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Pieuvre posted:

I ignored the Ann talk earlier in the thread, but this, this is irredeemable.

I beg your pardon? Are you saying that not being into ramen is irredeemable, or that the comment was?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Same here. Just killing him would only give her some satisfaction, whilst making everybody else have to deal with awkward feelings of just how to process what happened. Instead everyone who he terrorized ends up being vindicated.

It also probably wouldn't stop her accomplices getting expelled, whereas the utter disgrace of the teacher initiating that procedure would!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
It kinda looks like #Millenials has this on lock, but I'ma put in a vote for Crime Squad.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

drat it, the Boys have down another crime right under our noses!

This already seems inaccurate, and I have reason to suspect it will only become more so! (Being, I watched the opening/looked at the boxart of the game.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
On a topic not related to Mishima or the increasing improbability of the specificity of Sae's interrogation...ity, it's interesting to me how quickly the kids have boomeranged from 'sweet jesus gently caress what did we do' to 'you know, there are an awful lot of highly deserving complete douchebags out there that society can't touch'. Part of the reason it's 'interesting' and not 'a deal-breaker' is that it's pretty clear these days that there are an awful lot of highly deserving complete douchebags out there that society is unwilling to touch.

It does make me wonder, though - the complete douchebags have only really been obvious to me (who admittedly lives in his school bubble, devoid of information not related to microbial ecology) for about a year, and I'm guessing that the game was in development for considerably longer than that. Has there been some similar upwelling of douchebaggery in Japanese politics/culture prior to that that inspired the game's themes? Alternatively, it's possible that they started with the 'phantom thieves' angle and just extrapolated to the whole 'spirit of rebellion/revolution' business. I know approximately gently caress-all about the 'phantom thief' sub-sub-genre - is anybody around here better-qualified to comment on that?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

lightace posted:

So if Maaku has a cat companion, does that make him the magical girl?

Maaku is the most magical of girls.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

kw0134 posted:

P4 is more relevant than ever with its plot driven by who pays attention to what at any given time, but its focus on television exclusively above all other media feels dated. The underlying theme of personas and accepting who you really are is of course an utterly timeless theme and is particularly resonant given that the primary cast members are high schoolers for whom identity is often malleable and uncertain.

Kanji and Naoto's particular identity crises are also increasingly relevant what with examination of gender roles (and gender relations and indeed gender studies in gend general) being increasingly present in the public consciousness lately.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't think that's what "butterfly kisses" means.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Tax Refund posted:

Doo doo doo doo, oo-oo, oo-ah!
The Shadows of the whole world, causing trouble and strife, Mementos shows the Shadows of life.
Phantom Thieves know the rules — wear a mask, play it cool — and slice through Shadows like a knife!
Steal the treasure, (ride the catbus), rob the Palace — Mementos brings your dreams to life!

God drat it. I thought of something like this as soon as I saw the name 'Mementos' but this is basically everything I could have hoped for out of it.