Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MythosDragon posted:

Yeah..... Its not the kind of mood whiplash that feels natural either. I finished the first arc yesterday, and just jesus. It's going for a dark vibe in a way that just doesnt fit the series if you ask me, and its pretty drat jarring for the entire first week of the game and slowly relaxes when it stops the plot and focuses a bit on characters, its probably going to shift right back at the start of the next arc and I'm dreading it. I examined any and everything I possibly could, it added several hours to my playtime, I ADORE flavor text.
P4 was already huge mood whiplash from 3, since it was a shitload cheerier throughout(even the way you summoned personas went from 'commit metaphorical suicide' to 'crush a card or something idk') & you had actual friendships with your entire team.

Although half the problem is that Persona is never subtle about its themes, and that means the intro to this one gets to go way out of its way to make you hate almost everyone you interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dinictus posted:

I'm not sure how this exactly works for an RPG :confused:
Since this is Persona, it means you take a year to beat it. :v:

I'm not really sure why you'd do that to yourself with a 100 hour RPG, but to each their own.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Smash them together and the truth will reveal itself. OXYMORON

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"Look, it took me an hour just to figure out the train transfer, cut me some slack."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Not really, but if you haven't, you should really give Persona 3 Portable a try. The female route does a lot to inject new life into the game. Certainly more than FES/The Answer ever did.
But if you do this you owe it to yourself to look up the male's Hermit route, since it's the only one that got worse in the female version.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My two cents is that some of the most awkward lines are front-loaded("It means they’re holding nothing back and are serious to kill us!" is probably the worst it gets), and the translation gets smoother as you get further along in the game(with some standout parts I'll hopefully remember to point out when we get there). Unfortunately that also means a lot of first impressions came from those awkward translation moments. The translation argument probably wouldn't be a thing in the first place if the intro's localization was rock-solid, even if there was some weirdness later in the game.

Or maybe I just got used to it and stopped noticing the occasional odd phrasing. :shrug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Doc Morbid posted:

So uh, those "Battle" and "Urgent" tabs on there when you're making infiltration items? I somehow managed to do almost two entire playthroughs of this game without noticing you could change tabs on that screen, and only found out when someone in the main thread over at Games mentioned you could do that. :eng99:

I'm usually more attentive than this, so I have no clue what the hell happened there. Guess I was always so focused on just making lockpicks and checking how many materials I had that I didn't pay any attention to the rest of the screen.
To be fair, lockpicks are going to take up 90% of your infiltration tool sessions anyway. There's one, maybe two other infiltration items that are worth your time, and you don't need that many of them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A typical first run of a Persona game is around 100 hours.

So, yes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Mericless has one interesting idea(higher technical/weakness damage & lower other damage) it's not worth seeing because the rest of it(less xp, less money) just makes the game a slog. I know some people like it but I've never been a fan of "difficulty" that realistically translates to "grind more."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I played on Normal and had to do zero grinding, but I figured that's because all the values are tuned for it. Persona in general is pretty good about making sure you don't have to grind, even on Hard.

Does xp scale relative to your level? If so, that would make Merciless slightly less annoying. The way it's presented makes it sound like you'd be wasting a bunch of time trying to stay on par with people on normal/hard.

e: And I've seen people who think that the "more grinding" type of hard is real difficulty, which adds to my assumption.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 9, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Blastinus posted:

If I'm going to be honest, I actually consider Ryuji to be the weaker link in the overall party lineup. If Ann's facing an enemy with a Fire resistance, her damage suffers for it, yes, but she's got other options that still let her contribute to the party, such as healing or applying statuses. On the other hand, if an enemy has a Physical resistance, then Ryuji doesn't have the SP to sustain his magic for very long, and his Electric magic isn't that strong to begin with. I didn't end up using Ryuji too often in my first playthrough, and I don't feel like I lost much.
On balance it's still better to focus on physicals, since healing's a lot easier on your SP pools than damage spells are. You can just swap physical-oriented members out if you hit a section that has a lot of phys resist enemies.

Also Ryuji hits like a goddamn truck.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Dredging up "wait, the tool making has multiple tabs discussion" sort of:

I just found out you can use the toilet & bed in the Velvet Room for bonus dialogue. Hopefully Arist shows it off since I'm probably not the first to go "wait, you can DO that?".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I somehow went the entire game without finding out about the scratchoff lotto, even though I did the weekly/seasonal lottos all the time. :psyduck:

(To be fair to myself, the middle and left windows both do the weekly lottos, so there's no reason to think the right window would be any different)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It even hides her name, since we don't know it yet.

Hunt11 posted:

You do not have to plan out what you do in advance. A couple hints on what is more efficient and social stat roadblocks and you can easily see almost everything you would have any interest in seeing/doing.
P5 is probably the most forgiving first-time 100% run(or at least 100% maxed links) Persona game since they started doing the s-link/calendar system thing. We've come a long way from the ultra-rigid scheduling of P3.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

RedMagus posted:

I think it was Persona 3, but I seem to remember in one of the older games where if you finished the dungeon early, it would time-skip you to the next one, missing out on a lot of free time. Does that happen here, or do you just get to waltz around waiting for the clock to run down?
You might be thinking of the last dungeon in Persona 4, which skipped ahead to Christmas after clearing it.

None of the dungeons here do that, thankfully.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:psyduck: Why is it even a feature, then? Unless it was planned to be more important & they just didn't bother taking it out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Arist missed the most important part of Ryuji's finisher: He faceplants before it. Every time. A true hero. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Junpei posted:

Can I say something about Kamoshida? I think what makes him so terrifying, in my opinion, is the fact that he (and some of the latter villains, if to a lesser extent) feels like he could exist in the real world, no Palaces or Personas attached. When you boil it down to the base description (P.E. coach who physically abuses his male students and sexually abuses his female ones, who everyone covers up for him because he gets good results on the team he coaches), it sounds almost plausible, if slightly absurd.
It's not like the real world's had a shortage of scandals like that, like the one Kamoshida was based on(I think orenroren linked it earlier), or this guy you might have heard of.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

This isn't ethnocentricism, it's pointing out that the game is guilty of literally the exact thing it's trying to condemn. You don't need to defend the e-honor of Persona's Weird Sex Stuff, the LP isn't suddenly going to stop existing because you didn't come running to the defense of ephebophilia.
Also the age of consent being different doesn't make perving on teens less creepy. Something conveniently lost on the "But the age of consent is lower here!" types.

GeneX posted:

You sure as gently caress implied it, my dude
No see he just brought up Japan's age of consent because he likes sharing random trivia.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Do the Palace bosses ever get their demon names(like Asmodeus) stated in-game? I never could figure out if people just thought it was cooler to say "Asmodeus" instead of "Shadow Kamoshida" or if there was a canon basis for it I managed to miss.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Huh. I have no idea how I managed to miss that. :psyduck:

Then again, there's not much reason to assume the enemy name would be anything weird, and there's no reason to look at the analysis screen for bosses...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ehh, Teddie was pretty much a kid mentally and he comes off as worse than Morgana (and I say that as someone who likes Teddie).
It's not his fault his main influence was Yosuke, The Worst Influence. :(

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

GeneX posted:

I think going to the bathhouse on a rainy day raises Guts instead of Charm.
IIRC you get +2 charm no matter what, it's just a chance that you get the third point as Guts instead of Charm.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The conceit is that we're talking to her as she interrogates us after the opening scene.

It gets a little repetitive in practice. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
#Millenials aren't buying homes because they're too busy breaking into people's minds and stealing their desires.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CommaToes posted:

Should we tally up the nine ways of spelling it as different voting options? I'm having fun seeing how it's different every three posts.
Milluneels are too busy living in their parents' basements to learn how to spell Millyenols. I saw an article about it the other day.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"You must have been eating food to survive this long. What grocery store did you go to? WHO WAS THE CASHIER?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

kw0134 posted:

P4 is more relevant than ever with its plot driven by who pays attention to what at any given time, but its focus on television exclusively above all other media feels dated.
It felt slightly dated even at the time of its release. Some wiggle room could be given for its dying small town setting(since infrastructure presumably wouldn't be the best), but it was still unrealistic that the internet didn't enter the picture at all. The internet was definitely A Thing for getting news by 2008. Not as overwhelming as it is now, but still enough that someone P4 Protag's age would be using it a lot.

Which made P5 even more refreshing since suddenly everyone has a smart phone with them and we get an internet opinion poll on the loading screens.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Rangpur posted:

I hope the next Persona game brings back Philemon and Nyarlthotep as romanceable social links.
And Nyarly gives you a bad end like Adachi does in P4G.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

C. Everett Koop posted:

P6 is accepting that you're always broke.
I see they're going to target millennials even harder, then.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The sad thing about the Mementos theme is that it's not actually bad...they just decided to put such a short song in a place you'll be in a longtime. If it was a shop theme instead, it'd be kickass.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Aw yeah, my favorite characters are entering the stage. :allears:

One nice thing about So-Good Tora's link is that it doesn't matter what answers you give; it ranks up every time no matter what. It's nice to have the alternate dialogue options there for flavor rather than tripping you up. (Mishima's link does this too, presumably because having to do mementos requests and get a certain number of rank-up points would have been a bit much)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Hunt11 posted:

Can we please stop dancing around what happens until we get there?
Persona 5: Dancing All Thread.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There's a few spots in the game where I'm 90% sure they changed the plot/characters/game mechanics after writing something, and never went back and updated it to match what they wrote later. This is one of them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It was, but it dragged on forever relative to the rest of the festival.

The whole "teehee, boys crossdressing, isn't that hilarious?" also felt really out of place in a game where two main characters were struggling with their gender/sexuality because they didn't fit in with the expected gender roles.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
IIRC, the game said the reason he got sent to Shujin is that it was the only school that'd take a horrible nasty no-good criminal like him.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Honestly, you have to handwave at least a little of this stuff because of the way Persona games are set up.

The personalities and actions of Persona MC parents don't come up because they're not really relevant to the story, outside of a 'this is why the MC is living somewhere he has no preexisting social circle' backstory. P3 MC's parents are dead and it's implied they didn't have much of a life before going to Gekkoukan, P4 MC's parents dumped him in Inaba for a year for Reasons, and P5 MC's parents shoved him in the one school that would accept a nasty crimeboy. The end.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

W.T. Fits posted:

That said, I still took him with me for a good chunk of the game, and even brought him along for the final boss in spite of his limitations, and he did just fine.
Yeah, one nice thing about Persona games is that your party members are never bad enough to be unusable. I used Yusuke the entire time after he was available, and he did just fine since physical damage is bonkers. A party of Joker/Ryuji/Yusuke/whoever hits random shadow weaknesses best steamrolls just about everything.

Ann was the most mediocre party member imo. Her skillset gets very SP heavy very fast, her healing drops off pretty much instantly, the other things she does are situational enough that I'd rather have Joker handle them, and by the time she gets good again you'll be used to a different party setup.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ChaosArgate posted:

I really like the cut-ins in this game, they've got so much more personality than P3 or 4's. Yusuke's and a later party member's are basically tied as my favorite. :allears:
The battle dialog clips will still get burned into your mind forever, though.

"GOEMON, STRIKE! GOEMON, STRIKE! GOEMON, STRIKE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Kemix posted:

Think at least one other confidant can be lost this way, but I'm not sure on the specifics.
There is one other, and it happens for reasons that make total sense if you stop to think about it for a minute.