Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

These persona awakenings are :black101: as hell and I love the protagonist's slasher grin. When "Will Power" starts playing, you know poo poo's about to get real.

On my NG+, I taught Arsene Growth 3 and some other high-level skills to keep him viable for longer. It turns out his skill points go mainly towards Agility, so as you level him up his AG stat becomes obscenely high. Fitting for a gentleman thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I checked the stats on my NG+ Arsene. At the moment, he's sitting at level 38 with most of his stats at the low to average end for a Persona of that level... except, of course, Agility which is currently at 44. He's never going to be the hardest hitter on the team, but after the skill upgrades I gave him he is a pretty decent all-rounder, and that agility of his is quite useful as well.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 20, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I was about to say that the screenshots look a bit dark on my end, but that's not actually the case as far as I can tell. That section in the castle just is really dark no matter what, and the game's visuals don't seem to handle the screenshot compression (or resizing) all that well in general.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

So uh, those "Battle" and "Urgent" tabs on there when you're making infiltration items? I somehow managed to do almost two entire playthroughs of this game without noticing you could change tabs on that screen, and only found out when someone in the main thread over at Games mentioned you could do that. :eng99:

I'm usually more attentive than this, so I have no clue what the hell happened there. Guess I was always so focused on just making lockpicks and checking how many materials I had that I didn't pay any attention to the rest of the screen.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Right there at the top, next to "TOOLS". I'm glad I'm not the only one who never noticed those tabs until someone pointed them out, this must be how it feels to be one of those people who always miss the "This LP is available on the Internet Archive" banner on the LP Archive.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

RedMagus posted:

Thanks to you, I'm now imagining Persona 5 with the Power Rangers opening.

"Morgana, recruit a team of teenagers with attitudes"
Persona 5 would definitely be improved (further) with the addition of Ron Wasserman's face-melting guitar riffs. :rock: To be fair, the same could be said for most things in life.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

Mara's a classic :colbert:Then we have at least Angel, dating back to Nocturne IIRC.
Angel has looked like that since the first Devil Summoner, I think. I thought they started using the design in SMT2 because I believe the PlayStation port had a bunch of Angels on the box art, but apparently that wasn't the case in the game itself.

Also, I often see people say that despite appearances, Mara is supposed to be female. I'm not exactly an expert on the topic of dick monsters but I'm guessing those folks are getting their Maras confused, as there are several goddesses with that name in various mythologies. The Mara who tried to tempt Buddha during his meditation (and the one that's in the SMT games) is usually depicted as a male demon. (edit: apparently some of the games such as Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon refer to Mara as a goddess, so I guess that's where it comes from)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 31, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

There's also a (Chaos only) sidequest in Strange Journey where you're advised to seek the aid of a "beautiful goddess." You go into the depths of the sector looking for her, reach the door, step through, and GWAHAHAHAHA it's Mara. In the ensuing conversation Mara mentions that it was a goddess at one time. Evidently not any longer, though.
Yeah, they seem to have taken some slight liberties with the mythology and combined unrelated goddesses and demons to get their dick jokes in, because Mara's compendium entry in Strange Journey describes "A Hindu demon that represents a fear of death, she tempted the Buddha during his meditations."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Also, the yellow market looking place you passed on the way to Untouchable looked like a Don Quixote from that game, wouldn't surprise me if it was a reference.
Don Quijote is a real discount chain store in Japan, it's not just a Yakuza game thing. :eng101:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Fair enough, I got confused by the phrasing. To be honest, I haven't seen a Don Quijote outside a Yakuza game either. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Mementos music loop sounds like something from WWF No Mercy on the N64, the only thing missing is a guy going "DIG DIGGITY DOG" over it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

They might be considering it its own thing now, given Persona 5 dropped the SMT prefix.
The original Japanese releases never had the Shin Megami Tensei prefix in the first place, Atlus USA presumably added it to Persona 3 (and various other SMT spinoff games around that time) to help with brand recognition after SMT: Nocturne had done relatively well a few years earlier. The western Persona releases haven't had the prefix for years now, I think P2: Innocent Sin on PSP was the last one to include it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

serefin99 posted:

This game would be made 100000000 times better if Akechi turned out to be Goro from Mortal Kombat, or a least a member of his species.
Obviously, the Shokan cast him out for being too handsome.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How do you sue a corpse?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbSA9TqjUn8

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Futaba is actually a sloth in human disguise

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I feel kinda bad for abandoning the Innocent Sin LP I had going on. I have a ton of material recorded so theoretically I can get back to it at some point, but writing updates for the thread felt like work and I didn't think the LP was turning out as well as the game deserved.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Arist posted:

Of Innocent Sin? No. There was one earlier in 2017, but apparently it's been abandoned because it's not on the master list.
It never was on the master list because nobody added it there, but yeah, it's on indefinite hiatus as of a couple of days ago.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Sad to say, but not surprised, a lot of the gameplay has NOT aged all that well in either IS or EP, especially if you're trying to 100% it, there's so much fluffing you can do to ease it, but it feels quite awkward going back to it.
Actually playing the game wasn't the problem I had with the LP (100% was never in the cards, I was mostly going for a straight storyline playthrough) and I had enough material for at least 20-30 updates. I just didn't feel I was able to provide commentary that would be informative and/or entertaining enough.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You've gained maximum Gut(s)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

amigolupus posted:

I mean, you could probably replace Mishima with Shiho. You could have Maaku visit her in the physical rehab center, find out she's made the Phan-site on her laptop and that the Phantom Thieves taking down Kamoshida has made her their biggest fan or something.
This would be cool because I didn't like how Shiho just disappeared from the plot, but on the other hand it'd mean we wouldn't get to dunk on Mishima for being a total goober. Well, not as much anyway.

I wonder if there were any plans to make her a party member or a Confidant.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Omobono posted:

Also, I miss the Hulk Hogan enemies.
No seriously, :wtc: were those?
I liked the ones in Persona 4's Void Quest dungeon that were white and red and had horns, just like another well known (in Japan, anyway) wrestleman:

Jushin Thunder Liger, who himself is based on an 80s anime.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 24, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Shenmue and Shenmue 2, as well. They basically just picked random English speakers off the street and told them to do a bunch of voices they sometimes didn't even have the range for.

As for the first Resident Evil, I don't think Barry's voice actor was even a native speaker and was actually Norwegian or something. Combine that with a bunch of Japanese Capcom staff who didn't speak any English, and you get some legendary voice acting.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

Apparently for Shenmue they wanted actors that looked like the characters they would voice for some reason. Also one of the reasons they chose the guy who played Ryo was because he knew martial arts.
I guess their standards may have slipped for Shenmue 2 then, because there was this interview with one of the NPC voice actors who said they just hired whoever lived in the area and could speak English.

That same guy was also told to voice an old man despite him repeatedly telling them it would sound terrible because he can't do a voice like that convincingly, so eventually he just did this worst old man voice ever and they were happy with it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That's Guy Cihi, who voiced James in SH2. Harry's voice actor in SH1 was some dude named "Michael G" and nobody seems to know anything about him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Arist posted:

which persona characters are incel
mishima

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The repetitive voice clips in the Velvet Room do get annoying eventually, especially when you're fusing a whole bunch of stuff and constantly have some shrill little jerk yelling at you.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Haru is a proud graduate of the Forest Speyer Academy of Marksmanship.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

We never saw it coming

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Arist posted:

I’m just going to reiterate that none of this TV report is subbed, so if you’re one of those hardcore weebs who plays everything in Japanese even when there’s a perfectly fine dub sitting in front of you, you ingrate (and also, Persona 5), you have no idea what the gently caress just happened, and it’s the entire point of the scene.
I am by no means a hardcore weeb (more of a weird sperglord who wants to hear the original voice performances regardless of the language) but yeah, that was a pretty bad oversight on Atlus' part. I know just enough Japanese to get the gist of what happens in this scene, but I can imagine a lot of people being a bit lost at this point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Akechi's Japanese voice actor (yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a horrible weeb) also does a hell of a job in this scene. Dude sounds like he's going utterly insane, and it's fantastic.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I think someone linked me to Boatmurdered, and then I started browsing what was available on the archive at the time. "Oh hey, the Resident Evil remake, I never played that!" "Persona 3? Hell yeah!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i like McGlynn's voice a lot but it's really not a fit for younger characters
For me, McGlynn's voice is so closely associated with the Silent Hill soundtracks that it's weird to hear anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Alex0080 posted:

Persona 4 Dancing used Reach out to the Truth for that instead of any of the boss themes, and it's actually possible to have a dance routine that fits that song.
I do a very slow version of the Commander Shepard shuffle to The Genesis