Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'll throw in my too-late suggestion of Woody Berns, after the Watergate reporters.

I've been playing this game since release. Spoilers: it's good. I'm happy to see two LPs of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The animated cutscene with Ann features some excellent work from her actress; she does a good job relaying the character's frustration and disgust at the situation. Ryuji and Kamoshida are also superb here, as others have said.

Kamoshida is such a good villain. He's a horrifying and petty criminal, content to ruin the lives of children because he knows he can get away with it. You want him to suffer because you know there are people in real life just like him.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

I'm starting to think Kamoshida isn't all that nice

*Norm MacDonald voice* Y'know, the more I learn about that Kamoshida guy, the more I don't care for him.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Gotta love that fussy, smothering cat.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

your Mom

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I don't know if showing this drunk man and not connecting the dots that he's also the jerk at the hotel is an attempt at dramatic irony or the writers being deliberately obtuse, but I don't think it works well either way.

Arist posted:

If those Phantom Thieves are out there helpin’ people… I’d root for ‘em, no questions asked. They’ve gotta be more dependable than some people I know.
...Just make sure you show up to your classes, all right?

I really like the readings for both of these lines, by the way. Ryuji sounds like a defiant rear end and Makoto sounds totally miserable, it's well done.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

i beat the game and never knew this was a mechanic.

That's the one Trophy I'm missing for this game, never personally seen it either.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

How come Kamoshida's Palace had four keywords (Kamoshida/School/Castle/Pervert) but the others have had three?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Update on previous page.

Hifumi's shogi-piece dress looks cool.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

"Phantom Thieves are popular so now everyone's selling #Millennials fidget spinners" is my favorite arc in the game, because it's too real.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

When I repaired the laptop, I think I may have audibly cheered when that face and music popped up. Makes up a bit for the actual TV shopping program being so nondescript.

And that bit about Los Angeles is one of the better convos in the game.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Um… this is for you… I would be delighted if you remembered this day…

It looks like a turtle… Something about the transparent stone reminds me of Hifumi…

Wait a minute...Is Hifumi actually Jeb! in disguise?

Also RIP Principal Thumb

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

Man. Was he not aware of who he was working for and what they could do? "Bad guys won't maliciously shut down MY brain," says guy working for the Bad Guys Maliciously Shutting Down People's Brains conspiracy.

The bad guys were already destroying his livelihood by leaking his involvement with the Kamoshida stuff. He probably felt he had no other choice but to confess, and judging by how badly he was sweating, grimacing and tugging at his collar he likely had some idea of the consequences. (Or he was just comically obese.)

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

ajkalan: Attempt #1

When deciding who to date, it is important that we step back and understand who Maaku truly is. There are many ways to measure his character, but the best way, in my opinion, is in how he defines himself and his closest companions. His most concrete example of self-definition comes from his naming of the Phantom Thieves, which we all know as "#millennials." Thus, we know that at his core, he shares the same two directives as everyone in his generation:

1. Wanting to die, and
2. Memes

With this in mind, let us examine some of the characters in this game to see how well they satisfy these requirements to being Maaku's ideal partner.

-Kamoshida
He fulfills the first point twice over, as he both inspired a desire to die in Shiho and wished for his own death at the end of his character arc. However, if he was aware of the existence of memes he never let on, and despite his ridiculous chin and hilarious bathrobe villain costume he is not himself the subject of a meme. Pass.

-Morgana
An opposite of Kamoshida. His meme game is strong - him demanding Maaku go to bed is well known to every player, and his Catbus transformation is pretty much a literal meme form. But he falters in wanting to die. His quest so far has been a desire to find out his identity and live his life as the human he knows he really is. Even at his lowest, he has not been suicidal. Granted, his latest arc has been painful to the player/readers, but it didn't make me want to die, personally. Pass.

-Foreign Barker, Lala-chan, or Starry-eyed Student
They don't really fit either criteria, I just thought they should be mentioned because they're the best no-portrait characters in the game.

-Futaba
She is certainly a strong candidate, arguably the ideal choice. She very explicitly wanted to die; that was the whole crux of her Palace. As a creature of the Internet and the founder of Japanese not-Anonymous, she certainly knows all about memes. Also, unlike most of the previous choices, she is about the same age as Maaku and thus is just as much a millennial as him.* On the other hand, she doesn't want to die any more, does she? That aspect of her character has completely changed. And I don't think she makes anyone else want to die, either. Her meme credentials are also kind of weak. She uses gamer terms and silly similes ("make like a tree and leave," things like that) when she speaks, but none of that is really meme stuff. I don't know how she types on the Internet, so I can't definitively say she uses them there, either. Great, but not the clear best option she initially appears to be.

-Mishima
He is the other top choice next to Futaba. He is someone who, though he himself doesn't want to die, inspires that feeling in many players and probably Maaku himself at times (see: Hawaii). I don't think he's as ambitious or talented as Futaba, so he is more likely to end up in a poo poo job and feeling terrible later in life, a millennial trademark. He is well aware of memes and has used them in speech. I don't remember Futaba saying anything like "Kek" before she ran into Mishima! I also saw him in a Youtube video once wearing Shinya's Get Smoked hat, so his real-life meme presence must be better than her's. Truly a top contender in this contest.

Conclusion
Ultimately, the two millennial directives paint a portrait of someone who is rather hopeless, and no one is more hopeless than Mishima. It's a close call, but Maaku should romance Mishima. The evidence doesn't lie.

*They are both too young to be millennials by most definitions of the term, but if that's what they're calling themselves, who am I to argue?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Arist posted:

I had a rule to myself about not posting stuff from the anime or the dancing spin-off (yes that exists) because of nebulous floating spoilers, but I think it might be fine to post this at least now that we've gotten Haru and holy loving poo poo:

That's rad.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

ajkalan Attempt #2

Ann: sucks
Makoto: basic
Futaba: no
Haru: who
Yusuke: jerk
Kawakami: wtf
Sae: narc
Ohya: drinks hard and cares for her friends, really cool actually

It's Ohya

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Arist posted:

hello alex

I wish

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like how this section of the game is all about dramatic irony. Right at the beginning of this part, Sae is interrogating you and says something like, "You understand why this is so important, considering what happened to him," and you have a pretty good idea of what she means. It coincides with the group's peak of popularity, when even they start to see things are getting a bit out of hand. It builds tension around seeing exactly where your team will screw up and how everything will fall apart. I didn't like the dungeon or the overlong Morgana arc very much, but I did like the rising action.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

If my entry couldn't win, at least it was the worst.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Kith posted:

I forefit my prize to ajkalan.
Thank you!

I relinquish my prize to Funky Valentine.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Sunset Bridge is definitely one of the game's best tracks, it just loses some of its impact when it plays after completing every Mementos request.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

quote:

[imghttps://lpix.org/2896389/Office%20Worker%203.jpg[/img] That's true. I suppose it's fine if this settles everything. I almost missed hearing about this. News of the suicide's been eclipsed by elections coverage.

[img]https://lpix.org/2896388/Office%20Worker%202.jpg[/img[ Even you're talking politics? I don't get this Shido fever.

Couple of typos.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Arist posted:

He was our fastest runner too…!

This line made me laugh for some reason.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Leraika posted:

if only my brand weren't so contingent upon being a slug stacked on top of another slug

This is the first time I realized that's not a Goomy with stubby brown arms and yellow suspenders.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Terper posted:

Freedom and Security is really good.

It's probably my favorite dungeon theme in this game, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

P5R: the R is for Recidivist