Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Level Seven posted:

Maaku Hamiru, you are Joker after all.

I think I get this reference but the LP I was following died before I could be sure :argh:

But yeah, Maaku Hamiru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

vdate posted:

I think you may be thinking too hard about it, then! It's a reference to a cartoon. A cartoon involving a joker.

:shrug: it's a pretty cool name regardless

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'm liking Kamoshida as a villain so far. We know that he's done some bad things since the future-talk with Sae combined with Ryuuji implying something he did to the track team but he's coming off as respectable if a bit condescending/arrogant when we talk to him. And he's competent, being an olympic medalist makes the prestige of his volleyball team not actually as far-fetched as it seemed when we first heard about his team. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Also echoing what's been said about not talking about mechanics spoilers including what upcoming party members can do. I'm following this LP because I'm keeping myself from playing my copy of the game until the semester finishes up but I want to at least see some of it before then. I'd personally rather not hear anything except what the LPer reveals.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Ryuji is one of my favourite characters.

Also Kamoshida broke his leg.

I'm pretty sure at this point I wanted to smash Kamoshida's face in. And the game does it's absolute best to maintain this feeling.

Learning about that and looking at the earlier dialogue (actually I just saw the earlier kamoshida dialogue again cause of viewing the other LP's video but yeah), just... drat. Kamoshida's line roughly saying "Well let's just say we're both to blame." when the counselor and kamoshida are chewing out Ryuuji with the track team being mentioned, Kamoshida's not being faux humble, he's twisting the knife, gloating at how little power Ryuuji has to stop him.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
As awesome as this whole update is in story quality... is there a compelling reason Kamoshida has to wait till the next board meeting to get us expelled, or is it just to give us time to destroy his palace?

Like, I'm really pumped by how well put together this game is, but if they manage to give a convincing reason for that as well this game so far would be flawless.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

geri_khan posted:

I guess since we've not actually assaulted him or anything he has to go through some official channels? Propose it at a meeting and have it voted on? I don't know how kids get expelled. Kamoshida's got a lot of sway but I don't think even he can do it unilaterally.

I like this explanation, if it doesn't get contradicted I'm going with this to maximize my enjoyment of the series. Thanks!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I hope Mishima becomes one of our confidants. He seems like a pretty good fit for the Hanged Man arcana, and the designers already went through all the effort to give him different clothes from generic students.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'm sure it's been done before but yeah, Millennials.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, changing my vote to add the hashtag. #Millennials

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
This is extra topical as how to spell the word correctly is a quiz question in Persona 4.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Something we miss in the SSLP format is the hilarious difference in Yusuke's voice between greeting Ann ("You came!") and Makuu/Ryujii ("You really came."). He doesn't have any interest whatsoever in us and he makes no effort to conceal it.

As for any potential stuff coming up (in the entire game), it's kind of a beating a dead horse on a SA LP forum argument of time immemorial, but seriously going "Oh man this thing that is coming up is <adjective>, watch out!" doesn't make the LP any more enjoyable for people who haven't played the game, in fact it's just really obnoxious in my opinion. Save the comments for when <insert thing here> actually happens.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
On seeing treasure demons more, if you're reckless and greedy you can always farm treasure demons on the day you steal the treasure. The security level can't fall below 70% on that day and all the (non-chest) treasure containers respawn every day you enter the palace, so they're around too. The treasure demons even seem to show up among the regular shadows.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah Yusuke was awesome for me, I only benched him for one palace.

He's also an awesome character now that this bizarre and uncomfortable thing is behind us. Fun fact, he literally never shows interest in Ann again in the game. Ever. (Or even any woman for that matter outside the anime cutscenes which... have obvious continuity issues to say the least.)

So it was a completely pointless plot point featuring an uncomfortable sexual abuse survivor where the aggressor was also out of character because uh. Comedy?

He still has an at least implied interest in her based on a couple of things he says. But it pales in comparison to Morgana's attitude to her.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
After reading this update and the group explaining to Yusuke how to get to a palace using the nav, I went back to an earlier update to confirm a suspicion...

...and yep. The reason we end up missing half of our first day of school and almost get killed by shadows is because Ryuuji was bitching about Kamoshida to Maaku while Maaku's metaverse app got accidentally activated. The access words in particular were "Kamoshida", "Castle", and "Shuijinn"

Getting into trouble for getting angry and shouting stuff is basically Ryuuji 101, so I'm not surprised but I'm very pleased. :allears:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'm not sure if it has to be a person holding a phone with the app or anyone nearby so I just said it was Ryuuji's fault in a vague way, cause without him talking about how much he hates Kamoshida the app never would have taken them to the palace. We definitely know that the app can suck in nearby people and that those people then gain access to the app on their phone, but Maaku parroting Ryuuji may or may not have been necessary in the case of Ryuuji not having the app.

I would think the phone overhearing Ryuuji would be enough, but when it comes to weird magic smartphone apps all bets are off.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I didn't get through Madarame's fight without getting the option to paint over him first, but I played the game on hard mode. Unlike some of the other bosses I probably could have won this fight without using the painting gimmick.

Hard mode bosses are a lot of fun though, to anyone playing I highly recommend trying them out by temporarily adjusting the difficulty or whatnot. Kamoshida was pretty harrowing, after a few failed tries I was barely able to get enough damage on Kamoshida fast enough for him not to notice Ryuuji going after the treasure by having Ann unload an entire clip of her SMG on him instead of using agi.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 7, 2017

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

R.I.P Joker's SP.

...my main character is many things, but healer just seems a waste when any character can chuck out a healing item.

Money's got a lot of uses in this game, and magic healing is more efficient than magic damage (and also more efficient cost-wise than healing items once you have more SP recovery options). With the physical-focused characters tending to have more HP and defense than the magic-focused ones you can use physicals with them and when your fragile magic user(s) (Ann or Morgana) gets whacked all the characters are more or less ready for a good group heal from either you or Morgana.

At this point in the game I prioritized stat debuffs for bosses/minibosses (Ann has Tarunda but Rakuna/Sukunda are great), then physical skills (for random encounters), then a single divine grace healer persona, then psi/nuke/bless/curse skills (for hitting weaknesses on tough enemies only). Also status effects were somewhere there, I think still the single target physical ones (dream needle/skull cracker/headbutt) that carried me through Kamoshida's palace.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Arist posted:

Later in the day, we head on over to Shi-oh goddammit, again?

Are you alone? Are you going to meet Sakamoto-kun and Takamaki-san? U-Um, I don’t mean to pry. I was simply wondering. A-Ah, yes… There are errands to do. I must be going. Hmmm… First to the pharmacy, then shopping at Rocinante...

Oh man, I didn't get (or at least notice) this one in my playthrough. When I tried to see if she follows you into Shibuya I tried and failed to see her in the central street, instead I spotted her in the underground mall. I hope the LP doesn't miss her there because it's not as obvious as other appearances.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Aww, I think we missed the Makoto stalking moment of her in the Underground Mall, where she is found warning a student there that they should avoid hanging out in Shibuya because of the recent incidents. The student replies something along the lines of "But since the student council president is here I'm safe right?"

Makoto is not sure how to reply to that and then asks herself under her breath why she followed Maaku this far :allears:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Arist posted:

lol i actually thought it was this but i looked it up and my source was wrong, apparently

No, I've definitely been able to strengthen the same persona after waiting a day. It's entirely possible that both waiting a day and removing it from your inventory both let you strengthen it again.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'd say have a vote but also reserve the right to veto if certain characters win (don't tell us which!). Of course I'm a fan of joke votes in these LPs so seeing some horrible option winning and Arist being aghast before bringing down the gavel seems like the best possible outcome, maybe that's not the same for everybody.

Also for anyone who really wants to see certain things that might not appear in the LP you can find almost anything persona 5 on youtube, particularly for romance options. Just be resilient and wait for after the LP is over to see what you missed though, cause youtube is always full of spoilers as well.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

megane posted:

Wait, did Kaneshiro's confession just... happen off-screen?

Yeah, it's kind of weird but I guess it's some mix of there being a whole lot of other plot after his deadline, and that after turning himself in the police he can't exactly go onto the news to talk to the public about how terrible of a person he was/is?

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I thought someone mentioned earlier in the LP that Ryuuji tries to self-censor himself usually, but when something is so genuinely awful that profanity is warranted he drops that?

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 7, 2017

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'd wager they are used to it, it's not as hard to live without AC as we seem to feel it is in the states barring you living somewhere with a climate that's hot enough to be life-threatening. Otherwise just open your windows at night, close them during the day, wear breathable clothes.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I must've tried talking to that cat about his obvious self-esteem issues dozens of times before this inevitable plot development. Part of that might have been trying to ensure I didn't get a bad ending in a JRPG series that has had bad endings in the previous two iterations of its series (or maybe more, never played the earlier persona games), but part of it was just not wanting him to be sad. As for the inevitable plot development, that kind of railroading is understandable to an extent in any video game that can't afford to code things branching in dozens of ways, but it doesn't lead to a good payoff that really justifies it.

I'll confess that I was surprised to learn I missed having Morgana around as my supernatural life coach :smith:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Mechanically, Morgana gets a lot of mileage out of those +HP accessories you get from the big bang burger challenges, probably the only character that does. His armor options are all high evade, low defense, and his HP is low, but those accessories means he can usually take the hits that get through his evade without getting one-shotted on hard difficulty.

On Arist criticizing the game I like it a lot, he makes a lot of points on things I often hadn't even thought about. I don't agree with everything obviously but I enjoy the commentary.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 24, 2018

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Okay, Kazuya being the boss for real is a pretty cool plot twist compared to what I suspected we'd get from an OVA.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
The isolation resistance/nullification skill learning mechanic is random but from my experience the odds are heavily weighted towards you getting a protection skill for something the persona is weak to. It's definitely worth making use of it because of that, despite getting random status ailment resistances at times.

You might have a higher chance to get a relevant skill if you leave the persona in there for a longer period of time too? I mostly left personas in there until I got the warning or I went to a palace / mementos.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Arist posted:

Yeah, he didn’t seem like the kind of guy to change his mind… But at this rate, you won’t be able to continue your investigation… What do you think, kid?

I need to do something about the chief and help her...
Ughhh, I’m gonna die…

I choose to believe that lala-chan absolutely knows we're a phantom thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Epicmissingno posted:

Come on, everyone Maaku's helping is bound to know he's a phantom thief. Asking for a person's full name in such a suspicious way makes it incredibly obvious that either he's a phantom thief or he's going to post on the Phan-site about it. Heaven forbid he could use the information he already has to investigate who it could be. It's especially jarring in situations like this where this guy is a higher-up on a prominent magazine. And people say that Ryuji is too obvious...

Okay fine. I choose to believe Lala-chan knew we were a phantom thief about five seconds after they met us.