Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk I kinda like when the villain is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat to the end. One of my favorite moments in Tales of Symphonia is when, after beating the final boss, the party tries to console him and he just shuts them down and tells them to gently caress off because he knows he was still right, he just wasn't strong enough to beat them.

Also gently caress you Sae, what happened to all that "your job is done, not leave it to us adults" crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the only thing Joker can really nail Shido for is the attempted rape bit, but it makes no sense why Joker would have to "turn himself in" to do that. From the looks of the people in the most recent update, the public is back to normal and has forgotten the metaverse hellscape turning people into clouds of mist, so I'm not sure why a court of law would be willing to accept the metaverse even if Joker got up on the stand and explained how both he and Shido used it illegally.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fhqwhgads posted:

ACAB

All Cops Are Baka

:hai:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DeafNote posted:

I am okay with the game skipping the juvie scenes.

No sense in wasting the players time that much.

(Though a persona-themed prison game with social links would be mesmerizing)

On the one hand, I see where you're coming from, but on the other we've been robbed of seeing Maaku strolling around juvie like a boss with a gang of "protection" courtesy of Iwai.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I know it would completely muck up the narrative thread that the PT's adventures are over and Maaku is rehabilitated which means it's time for him to move on to the next stage of his life, but it makes no sense to me that he's going back to his parents. They clearly don't give a gently caress about him, meanwhile Sojiro absolutely does now. Just call up his parents and tell them you'll let him stay in your attic for another year to finish HS.

Haifisch posted:

Makoto clearly gets it the worst, because it goes from cool bike she can ride to transformer bike she can't ride.

:hai:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The true moral of Persona 5 is ACAB, and I'm okay with that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't worry Akechi will get plenty of post-Shido attention in P5R where he doesn't die and becomes a full party member and everybody just kinda glosses over him being a psycopathic mass murderer who is directly responsible for the deaths of two direct relatives of the party.

:yikes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Fantastic LP Arist. I know we were ragging on the game pretty hard from time to time, particularly near the end, but I do have a real soft spot for P5's flair and what it's ultimately trying to do, even if it falls flat in a lot of places. Congrats on being free at last. :)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Unfortunate but not particularly surprising, given even the original Catherine definitely had a lot of transphobic writing in regards to Erica. I just recently watched it be streamed and I forgot just how many snide remarks Vincent and his friends make about the fact that she's transitioned, and her blossoming relationship with Toby essentially being treated as a big long setup to the punchline of "haha you got tricked into having sex with a trans woman you thought you liked until you found out she was trans!" which is, uh, not okay.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It was a fantastic thread Arist.

It was a fantastic LP. We gave the game poo poo on occasion, but it is a good game overall and you did a phenomenal job showing it off. Thank you very much. :)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I've never completed a new game+ playthrough of a Persona game. I've tried with 3,4, and 5 and I just end up losing interest around the second dungeon.

So I'm interested to see what the game has left.

NG+ in P5 is nice because as long as you transfer enough money over you can immediately summon an insanely over leveled persona and smoke the first couple dungeons in a day, and since your skills are all maxed from the start you don't need to waste slots studying/bathing/etc which gives you a lot more leeway to gently caress around while still getting everybody to their max confidant rank. That said all the new free time did make me wish there was more to the date and hang out mechanics - you actually have time to take your waifu on dates in NG+ but they're super unbaked which is disappointing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd be very surprised if it was a Female Protagonist option, considering the sheer amount of dialogue and scenes that would need to be completely altered. At that point you might as well just start on P6 and have a female protag from the start.

My "big" hope for P5R is that Akechi stays loving dead, or at least ambiguously dead. If Atlus caves to fans and has him give in to the ~power of friendship~ and the PT's actually forgive him for all his atrocities, then I will be extremely mad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

StolenTeeth posted:

I just wanna know how a Futaba romance changes the 10 star/heart/whatever with Sojiro. Does he still ask you not to date her? Does he know?

I don't even think Sojiro has unique dialogue for Joker cheating on Futaba during the Valentines day event.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Aria of the Soul remix is loving incredible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It also helps that you can get something in NG+ that seems specifically tailored to help with fighting the twins. That's all I'll say with respect to spoilers for now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I never understood the "Kanji is gay" interpretation because that means the game is essentially saying "Everyone is correct for labeling him as gay because he likes to knit and cook.", which isn't a very positive message at all.

A Persona game with a negative message about LGBT people? Well I never...

Anyway the Sae is a secret lesbian stuff is really weird particularly when it's clear as day that her whole fuckin' deal as a character is the stress and seeming hopelessness of taking on the responsibility of what is expected of adult men in a very heavily patriarchal society as a woman who's implied to be in her early-to-mid 20's. She's the head of the house and has to provide for both herself and Makato, and she's working in a very hyper competitive and male-dominated field surrounded by older male colleagues who treat her dismissively. At the onset of the game this opressive environment has worn her down and crushed her ideals to the point that her cognition has been warped into what you see in her palace: someone who sees it all as an inherently unfair system that you either rig to your advantage or lose everything trying to beat fairly. Her unraveling more of Joker's story and how he and his friends were faced with similar unfair and seemingly hopeless situations thrust on them by society, but instead of caving or becoming corrupted they managed to stay true to their ideals and fight against injustice with their heads held high, which reignites Sae's own idealism and flips her to Joker's side.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"I think [insert anime or anime related product] shouldn't be set in high school."

Congratulations, you are correct but also poo poo out of luck.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair having a whole new semester's worth of time to dick around might mean players feel less pressured to push through a palace in a single go.

Another (maybe controversial?) change that I'd like to see is the complete removal of SP Patches. Not only do they help facilitate the "blitz a palace in one day" strategy, they make all other attachments irrelevant and also make other activities like making coffee, curry, or growing veggies with Haru essentially redundant.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean I don't think there's really that much of a functional difference between having to leave a palace 1/3 through because you're out of SP vs having to leave a palace 1/3 through because you've arbitrarily been forced to leave until you do busywork in the real world. And that still doesn't solve the problem that there's no point spending slots on making coffee, curry, or veggies because the main purpose of all of those is to give you what is supposed to be a rare opportunity to restore some SP mid-palace, but that all goes out the window when you get the cash to stick patches on everybody.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean, I understand what they're going for, but I still think slapping the mythological thief label onto the Cinderella archetype feels really awkward.

Hopefully they have something more fitting for her awakened persona.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It'll be watching Akechi eating home made pancakes by Shido while getting a pat on the head for how wonderful of a son he is that will finally break the suspension of disbelief and allow Joker to escape the Spiral Death Machine or whatever the gently caress it was called.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There was also a major push in Japan from the late 1800's through to about the 1960's to replace language varieties with "Standard Japanese" in education, media, and general use. This was primarily aimed at trying to phase out regional languages like Ryukyuan and Okinawan, but it was also aimed at regional dialects of Japanese itself, particularly from the 1940's onward. You could be punished in school for speaking or writing in a regional dialect, and there was a general attempt in media to portray those who used a regional dialect as inferior or less sophisticated. While the actual attempts by the government to enforce this have been dead for a couple decades now and Japan is considerably rich in distinct regional dialects despite those efforts, there would still be plenty of folks alive in Japan today who remember it at its peak. I'd have to imagine some of that old negative attitude of regional dialects being inferior to "Standard Japanese" has transmitted to younger generations through cultural osmosis.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grapplejack posted:

Why does everyone want to gently caress sae anyway

is it the eyeshadow

She's the only female confidant who isn't romancable so it's probably about that.

Alternatively the simpler explanation is that she's a single female in a game with dating mechanics and therefore nerds feel she should be available.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BisbyWorl posted:

Can't wait for Royal to give us the option to save him and keep him in the party forever as if he isn't personally responsible for murdering Futaba's mom and Haru's dad.

You're not going deep enough: Royal will go full Gundam Seed Remastered and retcon all of his intentional killings. Futaba's mom is really alive somehow, and Haru's dad walks in front of Akechi's gun as he's shooting at something else making the murder accidental. Also there were miraculously zero deaths in all of the subway mental shutdowns.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Romance Sae, "redeem" Akechi and make him a permanent member of the party, then accept Yaldy's deal at the end of the game (assuming it's still offered given how much the endgame looks to be changing).

Betray your ideals and go full heel.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's actually kind of impressive how they managed to take something that's already pretty skeevy by itself in dating your HS teacher, and somehow make it even more gross with the weird maid/master dynamic Kawakami insists on obsessing over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Quality LP Arist :golfclap: I appreciate the dedication to showing off as much of the game as humanly possible, even the weird obscure bits. I think I talked to like 1% of the incidental NPC's in this game and never realized how much unique and changing dialogue they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The inevitable Sae romance in Royal is going to be hysterically bad.