Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

GeneX posted:

And here's item one on why Morgana is awful: his constant making GBS threads on Ryuji for no reason whatsoever

Except not really? Ryuji definitely deserves to be poo poo on some, for multiple reasons, and there are multiple times in the game I wish the MC had the chance to poo poo on him a bit. In terms of playstyle he's basically Kanji except even better, but in terms of personality he's Kanji mixed with Yosuke, with all that implies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kanji did roughly the same damage with two Primal Forces that Chie did with one Power Charged God Hand, along with significantly more health and Matarukaja, so saying he was bad in the original is somewhat silly as he's overall better than her, especially during her giant dead stretch in the middle of the game. Him gaining Power Charge in Golden certainly didn't help her either, though she became significantly better as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

It happens in America as well. See the Jerry Sandusky case and how it was covered up even after a reporter revealed everything, and a memorial of his death was honored like he did nothing wrong despite all evidence.

It's hardly limited to the US or Japan, it happens all over the world. There may or may not be cultural or societal tendencies that make them more common in some places than others, but when you get down to it Japan has a population over half again as large as the largest western European country (Germany with ~81 million v. Japan with ~127 million) and the US has one nearly 3x larger than Japan - there will as a matter of course be significantly more cases to bring up.

Hell, the UK just got slammed with one of these scandals going back decades last year.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm with the OP on Ann, her costume just feels out of place both because it's oversexualized for no reason and because (unlike every other party member) she actively seems to dislike it, as we see here. I guess you could make the argument that Ann sees the "spirit of rebellion" as a sexy femme fatale, but I feel like that could have been portrayed as something other than a skin-tight bodysuit with a boob window. Also there's a tail. Why is there a tail?

Gameplay-wise her speed isn't great, so most battles are over by the time you get to her. It also doesn't help that she basically has no options for damage outside of fire, so she's completely neutered if an enemy blocks it.

That's actually not true, as I know at least one other party member also has at least some issues with their outfit, and I want to say several others vocalize some complaints as well.

Also, her outfit is blatantly supposed to call to mind cat burglars, and very specifically Catwoman - who's something like the iconic female version of that in the modern consciousness. Like, "possible copyright violation if the outfit was black" similar. It's not a matter of what their persona is either, as Ryuji's outfit isn't really pirate-like at all, and I can't really relate most of the future ones to their persona either. Our MC getting the gentleman thief outfit to go along with Arsene as his persona is nearly unique in them matching up like that.

Having an issue with how sexualized the outfit appears is perfectly fine, but thinking that style of dress is out of nowhere is incredibly silly. Also, the next most well-known cat burglar/femme fatale in Japan would probably be Fujiko Mine and, uh, there'd be other issues with Ann's outfit if she took after her.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone rang?

Hotlinked instead of inlined for major P4 spoilers.

...Really, no Neo Featherman costumes? You heavily disappoint.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To get back to the fusion accident stuff being incredibly rare, add me to the list of those who've never seen one in their own game, and I've got 90%+ of my Compendium filled. Seriously, seeing it "only" twice during your game seems even more unlikely in the opposite direction.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I will never understand why the Airsoft Store Owner SL opens so early when its requirements are so absurd. There has to have been some miscommunication somewhere in production, given just how insistent the game is you start that link. To wit, it takes Rank 4 Guts(out of max 5) to even start, which will take months to accomplish even if you're emphasizing it. More annoyingly, Morgana will bug you to start the SL EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TALK TO THE SHOPKEEP IN THE EVENING, despite aforementioned you can't even start if for a long time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So It Goes posted:

Jokers parents are probably awful people. Besides throwing out their son cause of a one-time incident of assault, they apparently don't even know him well enough to realize that it would be out of character for him to assault a guy which is why they presumably don't believe his side of the story.

In Japan, what happens if no school will accept a student because of an arrest record. Is that person just unable to get a high school degree at that point?

Yes, how dare they not try to find both new jobs and a place to live in the utterly exorbitant real estate market that is Tokyo proper, instead just finding someone who already lives there for him to bunk with. We also get no view as to what they thought of the incident, other than Sojiro's secondhand sarcasm, and their personal opinions really don't matter after the public perception was there. What exactly do you expect them to do about the situation even if they believe him completely? Most schools refuse to take MC, and they just found the only one vaguely close by that does.

The "MC's parents are horrible people" is a pure fan construct, and as far as I can tell mostly coming from western players. An MC living alone and with no contact with their parents, even if they're alive, is incredibly common in games/anime set in modern times. Hell, by the logic being employed here P4 MC's parents are even worse, since they dumped them in the boonies, also without any seen calls during the year, when they're apparently used to city life.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

After the relative importance of sending out a party member to do something during the boss fight with Kamoshida, this one comes as something of a shock as to how pointless it is. A lot of people finished this fight without even getting to the "paint the boss" step, let alone actually doing it, so it's somewhat interesting to see the step with Arist showing if off here. I also don't think I've seen Dust Flurry before, as the nose normally just dies horribly to multi-target attacks.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, better a nigh-useless skill than one that's actively working against you, which was my feeling on Ryuji's goddamn instant kill one. It's virtually never useful in actual palaces due to the level requirement, which means it only triggers in Mementos... except that I normally want to get into fights in Mementos because I'm hunting for drops or specific Personas. That lovely skill mean you cannot ambush anything, because doing so will just kill it and only give a random Persona card.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

kw0134 posted:

I made this point earlier but I want to really drill down on this now:

There's no crime elucidated in either common law or statute that I'm aware of that could cover this. It's not assault nor battery, since the victim isn't physically touched or even physically threatened ("stealing your heart" is laughably obtuse as a threat). There's no breaking or entering since these are spaces that don't exist except as a mental construct. If you want to claim "coercion" that isn't a crime per se, only a defense in certain legal actions, and in the event the law doesn't contemplate fantastical scenarios such as the invasion of a mental palace. Let's imagine the local DA going before the grand jury to obtain an indictment:

"We have no physical evidence, no eyewitnesses, but these punks showed up to their school one day, which they turned into a mental projection of a teacher's twisted desires, beat down a dream-like being of his own id and forced him to recant his actions. Please stop laughing."

Maybe in Japan there's a Meiji-era law against loving with someone's feng shui or something, but it's so ridiculous to think of it in legal terms. In this portrayal of an unjust world, Maaku would be right to be worried about trumped up charges that would give a veneer of legality. But even within P5 Tokyo, all this has to sound utterly delusional if presented as we see it in the game.

It's very much going to depend on country/district, but coercion actually is, in and of itself, a crime in many areas. It's generally another charge added on top of whatever the actual method is (blackmail, extortion, etc.), but law enforcement are perfectly capable of using it alone as well. And the PTs are most certainly guilty of it.

Now if we're getting into actually charging the Phantom Thieves then the answer is "who knows?" due to just how absurd the circumstances are. Probably some combination of coercion and blackmail charges combined with forced confessions by whatever member law enforcement managed to crack (these are an issue in the Japanese law system). Alternatively start stacking other crimes like breaking and entering, and trespassing (both of which could be applicable to the Madarame case).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

And here we have the slight problem of using completely supernatural methods to accomplish our reveals - we're being blackmailed by someone who thinks we're really good at ferreting out secrets, and clearly our utterly terrible infosec was purely incidental as opposed to our group actually mostly being really dumb and/or clueless. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There are times where lightly poking fun at people is fine, that really isn't a good one for Makoto though - it's something she's genuinely concerned about, and she literally just had the issue nastily thrown in her face. Even as a joke it's pretty mean-spirited at that precise point.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, either Maaku's wearing contacts occasionally, or just wears glasses to look intellectual and doesn't actually need them. Pick the option you like.

Arist posted:

I mean they’re like, bad hackers or something, right?
Technically, they’re crackers. Those who use the internet to illegally access and alter data. Medjed is an organized group of such people recognized by the larger international community.

Always liked the game, and Makoto, for actually mentioning the difference here, as opposed to most media which just lumps them together.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, it really comes down to cutting down on tedium for the player. Stuff like work schedules can be planned around since you get them well in advance, but that's just putting unnecessary busywork on the player. Hell, if you really want to break it down than all 3 of them have bonding events that happen during their work - something that would normally be a no-go for bonding events (represented by days they're unavailable), except in this instance. Are you going to force the player to figure this out, without knowing it's required?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, going to have to agree that Guts check is still the worst by far, since you're literally forced by the game into checking out that link AND get the pleasure of the game whining at you that you haven't started yet whenever you want to purchase new equipment - despite it being literally impossible to start for a while.

And it's not so much that that Makoto's not willing to hang out with you, regardless of how you're dressed, but rather that she's terrible at arguing against something like that, combined with recognizing it's true, no matter how much she personally doesn't care. She's got an extremely honest and straightforward personality after all, so trying to talk her way around a point she recognizes as true is something of a hopeless cause for her.

It's still a ridiculous, out-of-nowhere, max. stat requirement, and not even the one you'd expect for her personality, though.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 28, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

RedMagus posted:

Ok, I'll forgive her for that stupid cross-hand typing in the trailer. Obviously the trauma of her past caused her to pick up odd quirks.

But yea, as someone who does a lot of typing and PC support, that entire part of the opening made me :argh:

Futaba's a great character, but there are definitely aspects of her character that are enraging in a technical aspect. I'd also say she's the most unrealistic of all the P4/5 main characters (P3 has enough ludicrous poo poo I'm not getting into that), but we can come back to that at a later point when we know more about her.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Agreed on the whole, "Futaba's one of the best characters in the game, but her arc's only alright." Still, only alright still puts her well above several other team members, without even considering her character.

Also it's still amazing that of the three modern Persona games, the one with the mega idol and renowned child detective is the most realistically grounded team. Futaba being Ms. Super Hollywood Hacker drops P5, and, uh, no words really need to be said about P3.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, even in real life just random people, or some subgroup within the entirety of it, have aggrandized about something or another while using the name as if the whole group was involved, when in fact the vast majority haven't given a poo poo. Taken in that context it somewhat makes sense, that the other Japanese members are mediocre at best, while theoretically ones with actual good skills at this kind of thing in other countries never cared or participated in the first place. And all of this tends to be amplified by the media these days, which often seems to be lacking basic fact checking skills and just reports on whatever they receive without checking for how real it is.

But yes, the biggest problem with this segment will always be just how falsely built up the threat was. It's way over the level where you'd expect to see some sort of major governmental, or even international, response to those threats, which really makes the whole arc incredibly ridiculous - even aside from it somewhat being filler as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Boy I hope Makoto doesn't learn about Maaku burning 100,000 yens on a fortune teller.

Check out the Persona 5 Dengeki Comic Anthology (specifically Chapter 2: The Queen's Orders) for why Joker handles all the money. Well, there's nothing in it that suggests Makoto couldn't do it as well or instead, but she's apparently fine with the situation.

Not that the reasons shouldn't be blatantly obvious already. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm more stymied that they're using their phones everywhere. Sure the hotel probably has Wi-Fi, but on the beach? That stuff's expensive and I doubt everyone's gotten a data plan fo the four days that they'd be staying there.

Funnily enough, there actually is Wi-Fi coverage over an enormous amount of the Waikiki beach area. And a large chunk of it is free, as the Hawaiian government has deliberately invested in developing that for tourists in the past few years. As for hotel rooms for Yusuke's school... eh. We don't really have an idea how large his class is, but given he's apparently going to a rather exclusive art school rather than a normal high school it can probably be assumed it's significantly smaller than a normal school. And the major hotels on the main strip are absolutely enormous - just as an example, the Sheraton Waikiki alone has, including suites, over 1,750 rooms. Even in summer, it's not impossible they might have been able to get enough rooms at a group rate. As for at the same hotel, there might be specific hotels generally picked for incoming class trips (though of course it's done mostly for comedy here).

The real shame in this segment is that there's no mention of the humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa, because any trip to Hawaii should include a reference to their amazingly named state fish.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The funny thing about this tangent is that Hawaii's tourist board very specifically markets their tap water as completely safe to drink - as safe as the bottled water you could be buying, in fact.

https://www.hawaii-aloha.com/blog/2016/01/12/is-hawaii-tap-water-safe-to-drink/

The gist of it is that the aquifers they draw upon are located well within the volcanic rock that makes up the islands, and thus the water is heavily filtered even before it's treated - aside from the extremely low bacteria count, it also means they use very little chlorine in their water. Whether you feel this is true or not, it's actually an issue they've specifically addressed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Qrr posted:

That escalated quickly. Why change the law and the civil code if you’re going to remove any ability to enforce either?

Because some people miss the point that SMT Chaos routes tend to be just as bad as the Law ones, if not worse, most of the time if you actually look at the overall impact on people.

Alternatively they're an anarchist, but I'd like to imagine they aren't really that dumb.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I want to say it's come up in previous Persona discussion on Japanese uniform codes that at least some schools are okay with variations from the exact uniform so long as it's still within the same general guidelines and not terribly distracting - so solid color sweaters and the like get a pass. I want to say it has come up in regards to Yukiko's red outfit specifically, but that should apply to Yukari as well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, I've mostly been staying out of this thread for a while due to Akechi. I REALLY do not like him and, while I still need to wait a bit to go into all the reasons, him being revealed as the traitor finally at least lets me talk about him without possibly mentioning that. That smile does fairly imply just what an unpleasant person he actually is already though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, the generic police can be explained away by just having it have been part of their standing orders, outside of just "show up at this location at this time", to have been to not bring their phones with them for "security reasons" or whatever.

Or maybe they all do have the app at this point, but it's not like they have any clue how to use it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean I could be wrong, but I've generally gotten the impression most people who like Adachi generally feel along these lines:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know if I'd call myself a fan, but I don't completely hate him, even if I do think he's a really lovely person with extraordinarily negative views of women.

Oxxidation posted:

adachi is fun to hate because he's a cackling shithead who's clearly having the time of his life being E V I L whenever he can get away with it

i don't care to examine his fandom any further than that

For actual "what the gently caress, fandom" this game is far, FAR worse. Because

To say legitimate fans of Akechi creep me out is an understatement, and there seems to be a whole bunch of them. Like, they remind me of all the idiots who sent love letters and the like to loving Charles Manson.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

True, which is why I didn't get into the reasons. I'll admit I'm probably treading too close to encouraging talk along those lines though.

In regards to the other villains, P4G always came across to me as giving Adachi dimensions simply to make him a more realistic character, rather than the rather one-dimensional one he was initially. It doesn't make him any more sympathetic at least, it just helps show how he came to be like that, along with emphasizing him being the dark mirror of the P4 MC. I mean, the "I cover up for Adachi" ending has him loving blackmailing you afterwards - I don't think you were suddenly supposed to be sympathetic to him.

As for Shido, people keep trying to think this is a mystery piece. It's not, it's a HEIST piece. And in most heist films, the villain isn't some big secret, even if the main characters aren't sure who he is. Generally the point of them is just how they'll end up screwing over the villain, not figuring out who they are. Shido in particular mostly just comes across as a petty politician who found a seemingly untraceable tool, was unscrupulous enough to use it, and dumb enough to not really use it with any real caution. Someone can dislike what ATLUS did certainly, but it kind of seems deliberate that once you start seeing who he really is that he doesn't come across as some villainous mastermind or whatever, just a corrupt politician, and not a terribly smart one at that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Shido gradually comes off less as any single Prime Minister and more like the human embodiment of the LDP politicians in general.

Fixed that for you. Unless you think two-faced and unscrupulous lying snakes are limited to just one party, of course. These days it seems more the standard than the exception, regardless of country or proposed stance.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, thematically there is very little relation between Goro and Mitsuhide so it's more an incidental naming choice rather than some poignant clue or something. Or maybe there was supposed to be, and it got lost in the extended development cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There are a LOT of really strange laws involving animals scattered around, and many of them seem incredibly odd or obtuse by any standard.