Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Lucas Jackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One of the great things about the Persona series is that each game, at least from P2 onward, has a theme beyond the literal plot of the game. That's why even though the day-to-day stuff might be dated, the story still holds up. They're variations on the theme of accepting difficult truths. P2 is about accepting your past mistakes, P3 is about accepting your future non-existence, P4 is about accepting your current gooniness.

We can probably tell by now what P5's difficult truth is by now, but discussion on that should wait, I think.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haha, yeah, the people who only know a bit about the gods and maybe only from the Marvel movies are often quite surprised to hear about how his story ends

Elaborating on this a little: most people think of Loki's ultimate fate (pre ragnarok anyway) as getting punished for killing Baldr, but it got more complicated than that. He got driven out of Asgard, but he lived to run away. Later, he ends up crashing a big diplomatic dinner event between the Aesir and some important giants or someone, and he started just verbally laying into everyone, belting out grievance after grievance, airing every last scrap of dirty laundry, and just generally making GBS threads all over the rules of hospitality and friendship. Everyone there begged him to just stop, they'll forgive him and everything just STOP DOING THIS, but he was past the point of no return and just kept ruining everything at the party until Thor finally got home and beat the poo poo out of him.

So yeah, pretty good persona for Akechi!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Again, Yosuke is hyper-gay and insanely closeted. I will defend this reading of him until I die.

I mean, it's not just your reading; there were lines recorded but unused to that effect.

Cutting out the "Yosuke is struggling with his sexual identity" lines really hurt a lot of stuff in P4.