Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arcsech posted:

Yes, she's really, really good in battle, arguably the best non-Joker party member.

I personally prefer Ann, but Makoto is pretty much top 3, yeah. I'm not super fond of her outfit so I don't use her too much, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Analogies! If Morgana was Yukari, Ryuji Kanji, Ann Mitsuru, and Yusuke Junpei, then Makoto is Teddie; she's the jack-of-all trades, picking up nukes, buffs and heals. The trade-off is that she learns nukes slower than Ann, heals slower than Morgana, and has less raw Magic than either of them (but it's fairly easy to fix that later on). She's also actually less busy than Teddie was, who had access to all three buffs while trying to fit everything else from his skillset; P5 spreads the buffs between three characters (Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto) so she can devote more time to nuking.

Personal opinion is that Morgana is better than Makoto for a good portion of the game since she'll be playing catch-up while Morgana has the stronger heals. By the end, Makoto's better bulk and versatility lets her push forward.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Only Joker's Personas can be Gallowed. The other party members don't even know the Velvet Room exists.

Really Pants posted:

what's all this malarkey, Spider-Ann is totally canon

Spider-Ann, Captain Makoto, Iron Ryuji, Thorgana, and The Incredible Yusuke, ready to fight crime!

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 22, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I thought about swapping things around but the remaining members fit nearly perfectly with the party members yet to come, at least for me.

Plus Iron Man is a snarky loudmouth who just wants to fly around and do whatever he wants, so works well enough with Ryuji. And Thorgana was too good of a pun to give up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RareAcumen posted:

The same could be said about all initial MC Personas.

I wouldn't really consider Orpheus 'cool', it's kinda dorky outside of being able to turn into a coffin monster of death.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P5's dungeon themes are good but I actually feel like they're a slight step below P4's - Striptease, Secret Laboratory, Heaven, etc. were all really good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh, can we talk about original planned development Hifumi, or is that considered spoilerish territory?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rangpur posted:

Really? Gee, now I'm disappointed we missed out on a rad Shogi-themed dungeon. FWIW I believe most of Hifumi's skills are meant to fall under an umbrella of chess-like strategies, which is why they're kinda all over the place in terms of usage. I don't know enough about shogi to say if that's a sensible or BS-handwaving explanation, but she definitely has one of my favorite confidant schticks.

Chihaya meanwhile makes for an interesting constrast with the Moon social link in Persona 3, in that they're both outwardly sort of unpleasant individuals. However, ranking her up is basically mandatory if you want 100% completion in one playthrough.

They're named after tactics, but their implementation don't really match anything you'd see in chess/shogi. But they're all useful, which is much more than I can say for Ohya.

Also Chihaya at least gives you some sense that she has some morals, whereas Nozomi is... Nozomi.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Stroth posted:

Her confidant abilities are the best ones in the game, what the hell are you on about?

There's one confidant we've yet to meet who I think is more powerful, but Kawakami is definitely up there, especially on a first run. Hifumi's are also good, but in the 'you might not miss them if you've never had them' way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Stroth posted:

Nobody else just flat out gives you extra time blocks.

I'm reasonably sure you can do everything important without making use of Kawakami's perks. They're really good, but if you know how to maximize time use then they're just a bonus. On a second playthrough their use drops greatly since time management is a lot less important.

Other Confidants are still very useful even on a second run.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Omobono posted:

The LP is missing Tower, Empress and Hanged Man right? Plus maybe Judgement I don't recall if it's been unlocked yet.

I love Hifumi's abilities, most of them anyway. They give decent grab-bag bonuses.

As for the student behind Maaku, I like to think he has realized he's sitting behind a Phantom Thief and he's terrified of getting his soul ripped off Mortal Kombat style if he blabs.

Empress, Hermit, Hanged Man, Tower.

Stroth posted:

That's every confident though. That's why they're not mandatory.

None of them are mandatory, but some are so powerful that I think they supercede Kawakami. Like Takemi giving access to SP Adhesives, or some of the ones that grant in-combat bonuses (including the one that I think is the best).

Kawakami giving you extra time is really really good, but it also has a lower celling since at some point you can become so efficient that you literally end up having nothing to do with your extra time other than uhh make more lockpicks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

amigolupus posted:

Got to agree, Hifumi is such a great dork, and Makoto continues to be the best. :allears:

To those who know more about art, were the comments Yusuke received actually valid, or are they just flapping their gums?

Also, maybe it's because I'm experiencing it as a screenshot LP, but I feel like Morgana is waaay too intrusive with how often he comments or asks you what you'll do next. Is he less obnoxious when you're playing the game yourself?

You generally phase him out. He only really gets annoying for things like continually asking you about Iwai's bag or for stuff like the Holy Stone where you're going, 'yeah no duh, cat.'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Bugs is a reference to Bugbear, a variant of the Boogeyman.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kawakami probably has caller ID on her phone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Money Reading also combos really well with Hifumi's skills. If you're good at negotiating too with Yoshida's perks and know which enemies are the most profitable, you can rack up a lot of money in a single day.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing I do like about P3 is that the characters actually have lives; sometimes characters just can't go to Tartarus for whatever reason. Contrast that to P4/P5, where most of the group have no lives and are ready to jump into the TV/Metaverse whenever. Kinda weird when they go 'yeah I can't SL today for some reason but I'm down to jump into Mementos for a few hours'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, except Yosuke and Yukiko had actual professional jobs where they'd be in semi-managerial positions. Or Ann who'd have to reschedule photo shoots.

It's less aggravating from a mechanical standpoint to have everyone available whenever, it's just funny that they'll drop everything the moment the MC says they're going TV diving but can't take the time to talk about their deep-seated emotional problems.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Junpei posted:

I'm gonna quote/paraphrase something someone said in the Bravely Default thread, which has a similar situation to the Ann/Yusuke problem mentioned here:

Oh, and I'd like to clarify two things about these scenes:

1. In the anime driving cutscene, only Ryuji and Maaku were actually staring at Ann's boobs. Yusuke was looking at the see-through-via-sweat back of Makoto's shirt.

2. I actually know a friend, IRL, who, when confronted with even a mildly "homo" situation, will act basically like Yosuke. Call it demeaning or homophobic all you want, but it isn't at least unrealistic.

1. Fairly sure that's Yusuke pointedly looking away from Ann, similar to how he wasn't trying to overtly stare at her during the fireworks scene. Ryuji is full-on pervert, Joker is deadpan, Yusuke is kind of a gentleman outside of that one scene.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, I wish the game didn't just gloss over it - please tell me some of Yusuke's confidant is about him learning to actually socialize as well as arting.

Also, is there any particular story behind why P5's translation is a mess compare to pretty much near perfect P4's was? Because it does feel like it a step backwards.

P5 is still decently solid considering how many more modern terms they have to translate.

I mean how else were we to know that someone is super salty.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Point 2 doesn't hold up as well when you consider that you don't have to do the whole dungeon in a day.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
-snip-

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 19, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

fivepapers posted:

Yeah, I think I'd rather have Hifumi as a team member and Yusuke as a confident too. I always felt like Yusuke was mostly just there, and not really....feeling like part of the team? Like I felt the team members in P4 were more or less close enough with each other but with Yusuke, he only really interacts with MC and maybe Futuba later on. Another reason would be avoiding the awful blackmailing plot but I'm sure they'd find another excuse to put that in.

I imagine the problem is that two 'smart' characters don't mesh as well in scenes and can often make one of them seem redundant. P3 had Mitsuru and Fuuka, but they were smart in different ways. P4 had Yukiko who was only book-smart, and Naoto who was a bit more on the ball. In P5 you already have Makoto and Futaba, so there isn't a lot Hifumi would be able to contribute to scenes without tweaking her character.

Of course, every game has a problem with party members who just kinda flat around after a while. P3 somehow handled it best despite having the largest cast; the only really superflous member is Fuuka (and Koromaru but he's best dog).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yusuke is basically the voice of reason in the group along with Ann. Ryuji's a hothead and Makoto, while intelligent, has a bit of insecurity that makes her second-guess a lot of things (like how she keeps fretting about bothering Futaba).

Yusuke and Ann don't have a lot of personal hangups and have a cooler head than Ryuji, so they're often the people that go, 'wait a minute, I think that might not be the best idea' without mulling over it for ages. Or sometimes their 'foot in the mouth' syndrome leads to them bringing up the ugly questions that need to be asked, like how Ann point-blank asks Futaba if Wakaba commited suicide (which wasn't exactly tactful, but it made the plot move forward).

Of course, in a group setting, they kinda have to fade in the background since they just chime in with a 'wait Ryuji you're an idiot' every now and then to keep the plot moving.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I think this game would be improved dramatically by removing Morgana narrating and summarizing literally everything we say or do.

Persona 3 and 4 have the same summary notes whenever you do anything, they're just not attached to a cat with attitude.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think there's been any confirmation of that.

I dunno about codenames ("Empress" would fit but that's an Arcana name), but Fa Mulan seems like a decent pick for a Persona considering her SL is partly about her femininity being used as a weapon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gort posted:

What's the deal with all the "This event gives us points with X and Y, and we don't need either" - what determines who you do or do not need points with?

Picking correct options during a SL event gives you points (represented by notes) that go towards your next rank (hence why say Hifumi wasn't going to rank up yet since we didn't have enough points to do it). Most of the time if you get all the right options you can rank up right away the next time you see them, but in some cases that just isn't an option, so the game forces you to hang out with them at least once before ranking up.

In this case, Ann was already ready to rank up the next time we saw her, so the event would be kinda wasted.

Yoshida and Mishima are the two exceptions in that they always have 0 points to rank up, so you just need to see them ten times to finish the link. It almost means you can choose all the mean options if you wanted (which you should do for Mishima because really the kid needs it).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean the summary of the event is basically (spoilered if people care): Ann asks you what you're going to pray for, realises she has no idea how to actually do it, then asks a random passer-by (Takemi) how to do it. The latter grills you for a little bit then shows Ann how to pray. Points for both.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, Yosuke's an idiot, Chie exists, Naoto's straight laced, Teddie's annoying and Yukiko contributes something besides 'AHAHAHA' and 'I can't cook!' I'm sure.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also 'the rest of the crew are stressing out big time and yet none of them came over to try to wake Futaba up on the last day'.

I find it hard to believe Maaku didn't even bother contacting anybody while he was busy cleaning Futaba's pigsty.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tokyo has managed to have absolutely no garbage cans anywhere on the street but instead have an army of cleaners cleaning a street at any given time. It's fascinating.

That as well as actual glass boxes just for people to smoke in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As if Futaba wouldn't make use of the free meal ticket in Sojiro. Infinite curry!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ann saved our lives by throwing Morgana so that we could land in his butt. Best girl.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Snorb posted:

The Ace Detectives-- just like the Phantom Thieves, except they wear argyle sweater vests instead of masks.

Ace Detectives? More like Ace Defectives, Stupei.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, if it's a thing Akechi has been dying to talk to somebody about for ages but has no confidants to turn to, just spilling it to some random stranger that he won't care about if they judge him could just be him venting.

I imagine Maaku would be a decent bartender.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Omobono posted:

What I noticed just now is that the confidante didn't progress in this scene, so Joker probably agrees with the general gist of the posts here.

Although after a lot of Persona playthroughs I can appreciate a social link that takes care of his own grinding for the next rank.

Uhhh

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Ann's only uncomfortable when it's gross people like Kamoshida or how overtly sexual her costume is. Around Ryuji they're just friends goofing off and she isn't afraid to smack him one if she gets annoyed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I grew up in humid heat so I'll take that over the dry that is Australian summer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ryuji's jabs become worse during this arc though. Mona's insults always feel like basically 'haha even your Japanese is questionable at best' or 'I bet you did pretty badly on your exams', which, while bad, don't seem to actually affect Ryuji.

Ryuji basically going, 'Man Mona you're useless, it's a good thing we have Futaba now' feels more personal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Why weren't you bringing Yusuke instead of Ryuji for the Hifumi fight, though? Yusuke's one gimmick is being one of the best Baton Pass targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm more stymied that they're using their phones everywhere. Sure the hotel probably has Wi-Fi, but on the beach? That stuff's expensive and I doubt everyone's gotten a data plan fo the four days that they'd be staying there.