Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kal-L posted:

Is no one else going to adress the elephant in the room? That Maaku takes his pictures in vertical mode makes me angry! :argh:

I mean that's fine for non-selfies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ann, Shiho and Kawakami are the only real 'bad' women treatments I think. Hifumi's got some possible sexist things if you really squint, but it isn't really a major issue.

Still not great, but it's a lot better than P3/4. Now if they could just work on how they treat gays.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

amigolupus posted:

Do we count that Maaku has had to save Takemi, Hifumi, Kawakami and presumably by changing the hearts of the awful people in their lives as part of the bad treatment? Like on one hand, I can see it fitting in with the game's themes of people being abused by an uncaring system. On the other hand, I can also see it being argued that it turns them into damsels and removes some agency in their links.

Also, I don't think we've even ran into a male Confidant who needed saving at some point in their link. Though I guess maybe we'd end up helping Iwai or Mishima down the line?

Takemi and Kawakami were already resolving to start improving (and in Kawakami's case, even confront the Takases), so I don't think it's that detrimental that they needed some extra help. And Hifumi had no idea the crazy stunts that her mother was pulling, but she's a pretty confident woman as is. It's more of the former, I'd say. If anything, Makoto was more of a damsel in distress since she landed herself and the team in such hot soup and it took being yanked into the Metaverse for her to really start being able to fight back.

And you could just as easily argue that Yusuke needed to be pulled into the Metaverse to really see how twisted Madarame was. And hey, you had to save Ryuji right at the start of the game! :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I look past the animated cutscenes, because they so very obviously had to work around the Things They Paid For Ages Ago Even If People Act Uncharacteristic From The Final Product. Like a beach scene is still a beach scene and I'm not expecting the girls to all inexplicably wear one-pieces (especially Ann).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also if you've played the other two games, the trip is really lacking in content compared to P3/P4's.

On the other hand, P3's was when they had Operation Babe Hunt...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Let's give credit to Yusuke and Ann for being reasonable human beings worried about the sudden surge of popularity the group gets.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cuntellectual posted:

Have you ever played Persona 3? The game has scenes of party members hanging out without the MC, and for the majority of the game they're quite clearly more on the basis of co-workers than actual friends with everyone except the MC. Yukari doesn't trust Mitsuru, Junpei resents Akihiko and to a lesser degree the main character, and Shijiro doesn't like anyone.

The big reason P3 is is my favorite game in the series is because it doesn't take the fact that everyone in the party will be friends as a given. The party members need to actually grow a little to become a real team.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. I don't really think Junpei resents Akihiko; he's amazed that Akihiko has a swarm of fangirls without even trying, but otherwise they get along fine - otherwise Junpei wouldn't have roped him into the silly stuff like Operation Babe Hunt.

It's not even that Shinjiro doesn't like anyone, he's just very aware that he has a limited time left and thinks that people are better off not getting too close to someone like that (and y'know, the whole murdering thing). He's more of a mother hen considering how much he looks out for Koromaru and FeMC (if you go that route).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the issue is more that the translation fell flat here. The team probably literally just looked at the script, saw 'yeah that kid swore' and lifted the script wholesale without actually making Shinya swear.

They could have just gone with a line like 'he really badmouths people when he plays' or something like that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Iwai is a cool cat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Haru's VAing definitely wore on me a bit. I don't think the voice itself is necessarily a bad match to the character... but it's more one specific word, and that's 'Father'. Haru uses that word a lot, and something about either the delivery and/or the over-formalness of such a frequently used term just wore down on me a lot.

I dunno, parts of Haru's design just never gelled with me (her Phantom Thief costume is great but her regular outfit, with the oversized sweater and poofy hair, just annoys me in some aspect), and I don't think her voice made it any better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was a smart person who thought that maybe the last chief would be in one of the earlier rooms to swerve the player into doubling back through the entire floor.

Nope, and I ended up doubling back through the entire floor for nothing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For all the grief of his dungeon, Mammon is actually one of my favourite bosses in the game. There's just enough complexity that you can use anyone you want here, since everyone can take a potshot at the varying weaknesses here. Previous bosses tended to disadvantage one of your party members (Kaneshiro had a Fire attack so you don't want Yusuke, Wakaba had a Wind attack against Ryuji and is generally anti-magic), but here everyone can do something. Also getting off Baton Pass after Baton Pass is pretty satisfying as each successive attack gets stronger (which helps to mow down the tougher soldiers).

My party of choice here was Morgana/Ann/Yusuke. Morgana and Ann can hit the Fire/Wind weaknesses of the early soliders, Yusuke can hit Ice, Ann can Tarunda the boss to weaken Big Bang, and Morgana can gamble with Miracle Punch to BP to Yusuke for the final soldier. Joker can fill in any gaps.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

W.T. Fits posted:

I think the general rule of thumb when it comes to ages in these games is that first years in high school will be around 15-16, second years will be around 16-17, and third years will be 17-18. Futuba's slightly younger than the rest, I think she's probably only around 14-15.

It was easier to know how old everyone was in Persona 3 and Persona 4 because those characters had actual given birth dates and ages listed in supplemental material, and the events of those games specifically took place in 2009-2010 and 2011-2012.

Not sure if it warrants a spoiler, but you can get news broadcasts that talk about what Chie/Yukiko/Rise are up to, so you can get a rough idea how far after P4 that P5 takes place.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Funky Valentine posted:

They did confirm the party's birthdays.

Ryuji (July 3)
Ann (November 12)
Yusuke (January 28)
Makoto (April 23, which I'm pretty sure lines up with Kamoshida turning himself in lol)
Futaba (February 19)
Haru (December 5)

MC-kun and Morgana don't have birthdays because MC-kun is an extension of the player and Morgana is a cat.

To add to that, Ryuji and Haru are the only ones that you can spend time with on their birthdays - Ann isn't available to hang out on hers, and the rest have their birthdays before they're recruited.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Coq au Nandos posted:

He's also spent close to a year doing human drug trials in a shady underground clinic, eating burgers bigger than his head and subsisting on a diet of curry and coffee. The guy has some tolerance.

Also close to a year putting up with Ryuji and Mishima. If that's not mental fortitude I don't know what is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ohya, although 'dating a minor to not get caught looking up stuff about your missing partner' isn't a gold standard either.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kemix posted:

God drat it Mishima, stop pissing yourself...they have diapers for that. Also Shinya is A Kid, but by god he's probably one of the better ones in JRPGs that aren't part of the main party. At least he isn't a Ken from P3. Dear god I wish we could just...infinity gauntlet him from existence.

He's... slightly more interesting than the Tower kid from P4 at least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Funky Valentine posted:

Maaku would probably end up dead if he dated Takemi.

On the other hand, anyone who'd cross his path would also end up dead.

It's for the greater good, Maaku. Accept that your brain will end up in a jar someday and until then Takemi will probably ensure all your enemies die slowly and painfully.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

In OG, in P3P she was.

She's still not an 'actual' SL though, there's no Arcana associated with her.

Yeah her outings are similar to Margaret/Caroline&Justine's requests, but as far as the game goes it's just fun trips out with your kooky blue pal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shinjiro is Fake Mom.

That makes Akihiko Fake Dad by way of Bro-marriage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's gameplay semantics, but this is where the security system of Palaces make no sense; Shadow Sae is already aware we're there, so the security level in the palace makes no sense in-game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also incredibly easy to get points with Haru, and she actually reacts well to a lot of the 'silly' options. I don't really remember a time when I had to hang out with her/use Chihaya just to rank up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Iamgoofball posted:

Unfortunately, he's still the director on Persona Q2, and the recent trailer for that confirmed that they're throwing in all 3 casts at once.

He's still got one last game to stuff homophobic and sexist garbage into.

As someone who actually enjoyed PQ, I'm still kinda dreading how one-note they can make a cast that's a third bigger than the last game.

I mean, Yusuke is prime material.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually pretty sure Haru's vegetables are usable in-battle? I remember using a lot of Moonlight Carrots during fights.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also worth noting that Akechi is literally the only person you can't sell out to Sae. You can point fingers at all your other teammates and confidants, but Akechi is the one option the game won't let you hand to Sae on a silver platter, because everyone and their dog would have done so in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gruckles posted:

During the Arena games while the P3 cast is inside the TV world they notice they're able to summon their personas at will without an evoker. Though Mitsuru also mentions she's done that once or twice in the real world, but it was way more difficult.
Likewise the P4 cast are surprised to learn that Fuuka is able to use her persona in the real world to contact them.

Presumably if either group ended up inside a Palace then they'd get the masked intruder gimmick.

It's also implied that the P3 cast are much stronger; Fuuka kinda blows Rise out of the water in terms of navigating ability.

Whether this is due to experience or the way they manifest their Personas isn't made explicit though.