Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Quantum Toast posted:

Nate Ford.

Having said that, I'm perfectly fine with the fact that Maaku Hamiru seems to be winning by a mile.

Pretty much this. I have my own name I always use for Persona MCs, but I'm tempted to go for Nate Ford when I replay this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
One thing this game does with its environment is capture just what living in Tokyo is like. Yongen-Jaya feels just like the part of Tokyo I used to live in- narrow streets, small cafes, taking the subway everywhere...

It's a major change from P3, which wasn't set in a real Iapanese city and felt radically different from how most of Japan is.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
So while it doesn't quite get the whole thing (Shibuya station is freakin' *huge*), there are definitely parts of it that are modeled well by the game. The part of the station with the round pillars showing various lines is spot on. They also copied the front of the station, with Hachiko, the green traincar, and the Scramble crossing pretty much exactly. My impression of Shibuya station is not the most accurate, since I too felt like I got lost every single time I went there, and also it was under construction the entire time I lived there.

I will also say that the train ride where you're stuffed in like sardines is 100% accurate. Tokyo trains at rush hour are...uncomfortable.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
One reason I like Ryuji a lot, and also his voice actor, is that he gets incredibly pissed off at all the injustice he sees. Dude has his flaws, but his heart is absolutely in the right place at all times.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

mauman posted:

I specifically bought a PS4 for this game.

Suck it up and pay the piper......

Easier said than done I know :negative:

Also, having never played Golden (watching several scenes of Marie was enough to make me want to burn every copy I might come across, let alone play the evil thing), what the hell is wrong with Vanilla Kanji?! I considered him to be one of the best teammates due to Elec weakness being common, having matarukaja, having great physical attacks (that would only "barely" be eclipsed by Chie near the end), and just being awesome in general.

He gets Power Charge in Golden. 'Nuff said.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Max Mittleman really does do a sterling job here. I'm thinking particularly of his confrontation with Mishima after Shiho's suicide attempt where you can *feel* his anger. It's fantastic.

And speaking of which...holy lord, what a well-done emotional kick in the balls. I don't think I've ever hated a video game villain as much as I hate Kamoshida. I really feel like a lot of game stories- and hell, stories in general- would really seriously benefit from making things smaller and more personal like this.

In 4, we didn't have anyone to hate when Saki was killed, we didn't see it, and the emotional reaction from our cast was minimal- Yosuke got the sads for a while, and decided to explore the TV, but that disappeared once he got his Persona. Here, Ryuji is absolutely livid, Ann is obviously completely devastated, and we know who the motherfucker responsible is. I'm actually kind of disappointed that there isn't an optional bad ending here where you pick up that bat so clearly placed in the PE Office and beat Kamoshida to death with it.

Perhaps it's because I'm a teacher, and thus more sensitive to teachers who abuse their position, but I was fully on board with not giving a gently caress what happened to Kamoshida. I picked the "I'm interested" option hoping it meant "So we can kill him undetected? Tell me more."

This whole entire sequence is incredibly well-done, it's really fantastic.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I like Ann quite well, but I'd like her a lot more if she kept using big fuckoff swords like the one she grabbed here. Her actual weapons...eh.

Also kill Kamoshida.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
There' s a way in the future to use the laundry without it taking time. I never bothered until I unlocked it.

And this castle is a *slog* if you're trying to 1-day it on hard. I managed it, but only by burning through every single SP-restoring item I could get my hands on except that big, juicy Soma. That Snuff Soul that you grabbed earlier? Extended my own exploration like, twofold.

While I'm glad the entire game isn't like it, I do appreciate the challenge this Palace provides. Management of such limited resources isn't as common in games these days, so it was a lot of fun.
...With the notable exception of that Makou instantly killing my entire team before I could even move. It's absolutely required that you ambush those shadows.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
A cool thing that I noticed is that the game plays a little extra bell clip when you've reached enough points to level a social link through your responses to their statements during their S-link events. So you'll know after every event whether the next time you see them, you'll rank up again, or if you'll have to have a hangout event.

And I'm actually pretty sure you can invite Ann to Ogikubo. She's a bit of a foodie, so it'd make sense.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

OutofSight posted:

Too good to pass this up.

But still, Rogue Squadron gets an honorary mention from me. Got to have your quota of star wars jokes.

Agreed.

Also, the images aren't working. Site down?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Most of the time when I'm grinding Mementos, I'll have Spotify on my PS4 going, since that overwrites the ingame music and lets me hear The Rolling Stones or something while I'm killing demons instead of 4 notes over and over again.

Also, I will click on that link to Beneath the Mask every single time it's posted. Song is so chill, it's the best.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Our buddy Yusuke there is Matt Mercer, whose direction appears to have been "be as flamboyant as possible". Mercer's a drat good VA, though, so he makes it work.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I actually used to work in Tsukishima, and my best friend and coworker lived above a Monja place. There's about 3 blocks filled with almost nothing but Monja restaurants. I was just back in Japan for a family trip, and I met this dude and some friends for Monja along with my family. Their universal verdict was "eh, pretty bad", but I'll be honest, I think it was because we weren't drinking enough. Monja is very much drunk food, which is odd when you consider the possibility of drunken accidents causing severe burns. I was so pumped when this event triggered and I found out I could invite members of the Phantom Thieves to Tsukishima with me.

Incidentally, I also have a bunch of pictures from Shibuya showing how Persona 5 mirrors parts of the station almost perfectly. Arist, would you approve of me posting them in the thread?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
So it took me forever to remember, but here are the pictures I took:

The approach to the station, where we see No-Good Tora and the statue of Hachiko. This particular intersection and the approach to the station is famous as hell and has been copied in tons of games.

This is the Tokyu building in real life, Teikyu in Persona 5. Both of them lead to the Ginza line.

I don't recall seeing any other subways in bright yellow in all my time in Japan. There are a bunch of different companies that operate rail lines (The government runs JR, there's the Tokyo Metro, and a few others) and they all tend to have somewhat unique trains.

This is the walkway where the Phantom Thieves met to take down Madarame. One thing about it is that it's usually more crowded in real life. I spent New Years' Eve at pretty much the exact spot the thieves hang out with once about 4 years ago, a month after I had moved to Japan. That was super-crowded.

The same walkway, from the inside. Mother and brothers for scale.

The loving Aojiru stand.

There was no direct analogue to Central Street as I saw it- the streets around Shibuya Station mostly allow cars, and the few that don't all pretty much look like this, much denser than what we saw in the game.

I swear I had taken pictures of the pillared area where you first come out once you get off the train- it really stuck in my mind because it was generally the part of the station I passed through when I lived there- but I guess I didn't so have a stock photo that more or less shows off what I'm talking about.

One last thing to not is that Shibuya station is under some very heavy construction, and has been for the past several years. I had foolishly assumed that they'd be done with it when I took my vacation there last month, having left Japan in March 2016, but that was a naive hope, as they're still nowhere near done. None of the areas we see in the game are under construction, however.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 8, 2017

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Just for variety's sake, I'd like to see this level of panic over trying to get beer despite being underage.

Japan doesn't give a poo poo about underage drinking. I can never recall anyone actually asking to see ID when I lived there, and you can just buy all kinds of booze down at the local corner store.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/grandmarth/status/868663753646014464

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I'm a lot more willing to forgive Ryuji than Yosuke for their dumb fuckups. We've never really seen Ryuji be actively mean to anyone- he's a big, dumb puppy- always happy and eager, but dumber than a sack of hammers. Yosuke, on the other hand, is a huge rear end in a top hat to Kanji and has his moments where he's pretty awful to Chie and Yukiko. He's not completely irredeemable- I don't hate Yosuke or anything- but Ryuji's never been anything but cool towards Ann, and all of his mistakes are generally being overenthusiastic like the aforementioned dumb puppy. The times that he gets mad are when someone's being hurt, and not when he gets fed bad curry. His heart is way more in the right place than Yosuke, who's definitely at least partially in it for thrills.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I bet you you could live off of well-prepared curry, provided it’s got enough veggies in it. There are certainly worse things for you.

And the time difference between Japan and Hawaii is *weird*. I took a trip there while I was living in Japan (met my family coming from the East Coast) and it was my birthday for, subjectively, about 48 hours.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Video game guy was put up on the PhanSite by Futaba who really wants to clear the Overwatch competitive scene of all rivals.

Futaba seems like a Junkrat main, I bet she's unhappy he just got nerfed.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I do find it very interesting that more peoples' reactions aren't "lol good riddance to bad rubbish", but maybe I'm just desensitized by this forum and emotes like :murder: and :killing:.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

ajkalan posted:

It's probably my favorite dungeon theme in this game, tbh.

I think Whims of Fate is probably the best, and I personally like a lot of the music from the Bank and Futaba’s dungeons, but it’s absolutely the most thematic and appropriate music in the game.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
So it turns out the guy keeping you in a metaphorical prison for a crime you didn't commit was a bad dude!

Who knew?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I was kind freaked out when I got to the animated scene here, because #Milennials were spending New Year's precisely in the same place I spent it 5 years ago. This is a game that makes one miss Tokyo.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
So I get the idea that it’s a parting and should be kinda bittersweet, but Maaku is going to be gone for like, a year, tops, because gently caress living anywhere in Japan that isn’t Tokyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Congratulations and thanks for LPing my favorite game!