Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Level Seven posted:

Maaku Hamiru, you are Joker after all.
Voting for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, the principal is Wilson Fisk's stunt double. When does Totally Not Matt Murdock crash into the scene?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, how complicated is the fusion formula for Inspector Zenigata?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mittleman's voice for Captain Kidd leans more towards the voice he did for Leo from Fire Emblem Fates. Which becomes hilarious as Mamrou Miyano is Leo's Japanese VA.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alexey posted:

Is there some connection I am missing?
Antonio Banderas played the character Zorro in the 1998 film "The Mask of Zorro" alongside Sir Anthony Hopkins. He then went on to play Puss In Boots for the Shrek films.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ann definitely took advantage of The Cutscene Zone with her awakening sequence. Also, Kamoshida's :stonk: face during that whole sequence was gold.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have to wonder what the hell a "Nude Candle Stand" is. Because I highly doubt that it's just a weird roundabout way to say "a candle stand without a candle in it".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

Almost any other game series would shy away from the fact that a lot of mythological creatures from several cultures are really, really phallic. SMT puts a giant penis on a golden chariot.
And then there was that one time Persona 1 made Mara into a chestburster monster.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Morgana has one thing over Teddie that makes him better: he doesn't have Kappei Yamaguchi's godawful ear-bleeding high-pitched voice. Dear lord, that voice is enough to drive me insane. What makes me even more angry is that when Yamaguchi drops down a couple octaves (see: Usopp from One Piece or Tobia Arronax from the video games that adapt the Crossbone Gundam manga), he's a good voice actor. But then you get roles like Teddie or the equally ear-bleeding performance as Rattrap in Beast Wars' Japanese dub and you want to dive through the screen to strangle Yamaguchi in order to stop the bleeding.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Isn't he also L from Death Note?
He is indeed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I miss Tanaka already. Shopping's just not going to be the same. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I vote for The Taffers, in honor of the best franchise about thieves and stealing stuff. Shame that Garrett's name can't be worked into a group name though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The character that looks like a dead ringer for Wilson Fisk is up to something shady and possibly evil. I'm mildly shocked by this development.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Really Pants posted:

the cat turned into a motor vehicle just like in noted anime series Transformers
And now I'm disappointed that Grimlock is not a playable character in this game. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Despite his past, he seems like a pretty cool guy. How on Earth did he manage to keep his position after being caught stealing money, though?
Yoshida probably either stepped down from his position after the scandal and then later got a new job in politics by slowly working up the ranks, or he got the "exiled to Antarctica" treatment and has been in some extremely low-level political post and is now taking a chance to regain his former glory.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The button mash option was indeed the best option we could have chosen for that scene on the train.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wiseblood posted:

She was just drifting.
So when does Makoto master multi-track stalkingdrifting?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Goemon's design really screams "Kabuki actor, but on steroids and 250% more gaudy". That said, I've been so used to the old Legend of the Mystical Ninja design from back in the 90s that it is a bit jarring to suddenly see Goemon as he looks here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

don't trust anyone with the name 'goro' imo
Well, this one's not a four-armed giant warrior prince from a parallel world competing in a violent martial arts tournament, at least.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Do not underestimate Mishima's information network.

The quests he gives you include all kinds of targets.
So basically by the end of this game, Mishma's going to become a goofier version of Oracle?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

With that getup, Makoto could easily slot into the role of Ghost Rider, especially with the flames and chains flying around Johanna. But yes, that was a very satisfying Awakening. Welcome to the team, FuriosaMakoto. May you ride free and defeat many enemies with motorbike burnouts.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, I can see why this dungeon is not a whole lot of fun. It just keeps on going well past its welcome and once you figure out enemy weaknesses, becomes kind of boring to go through.

On the flip side, they've gone all in with the theme of greed for Kaneshiro, so I doubt there will be a sudden swerve into a completely unrelated sin like with Madarame.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, that certainly was an...unique boss battle intro, to say the least. The boss fight itself feels a bit reminiscent of Shadow Mitsuo from Persona 4, with the larger Piggytron serving as a giant distraction from the more important Kaneshiro. Except Kaneshiro is well, laughably easy (once you know what's going on) compared to Shadow Mitsuo as Arist showed.

Glazius posted:

Hm. So what's this guy's treasure going to be? Everything he has is stolen and he's probably going to give it all back.
With the whole gluttony and pig theme, I'm expecting Kaneshiro's treasure to be his first piggy bank from when he was a child. It's almost too good of an opportunity to pass up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

In their defense, it's kind of hard to make Gluttony work as a sin that hurts other people the way that the others do. You have to lean on the angle of hording something that other people need to such an extent that it becomes actively harmful to society at large, and money is probably the easiest way to go. Still, you can't deny that the message is kind of muddled.
Yeah, out of the 7 sins, Gluttony is the one that directly affects the person representing the sin rather than affecting others like Lust or Greed do. The other 6 all can be tweaked to fit the concept of affecting people outside the target representative with some effort, but Gluttony has trouble standing on its own within Persona 5's context of "the target who embodies [sin of the current arc] impacts those around them". Admittedly, Sloth also has Gluttony's issue, but it has a slightly easier path to walk down in order to make the sin work (e.g., have the target negatively affecting those close to the target by being so lazy via emotions or self-esteem) compared to Gluttony. Which is probably why the game has Greed pull a double shift and shore up the weaker points of Kaneshiro's character (the banker characterization being more of a Greed representation than a Gluttony one, for instance) due to Gluttony not being able carry it all to the finish line on its own. Sadly, that banker image is what hurts the Gluttony message, like you said; you get people like me who see Shadow Kaneshiro's portrayal and immediate think Greed, but then we get the heavy swerve to the left and suddenly he's the Gluttony target for...reasons.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can see Manipulation helping out if you're doing some serious grinding for specific items in various areas, but beyond that it doesn't seem like it has any real long term benefits outside of "you maybe can get a rare item here or there at times". It's definitely a Confidant ability that sounds better than it actually works in practice.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Looking at the studying session at the cafe, I find it interesting that Yusuke is still the only party member to not go to Shujin. I'm surprised that his arc didn't have some silly convoluted "new transfer student" part tacked onto the end of his arc where Yusuke starts attending Shujin like the rest of the party.

Also, clearly Sae is angry at us not because her sister is involved, but because her sister got a sweet-rear end motorcycle as her Persona and Sae is naturally very jealous that she doesn't get a cool ride. Seriously, I'm bummed out we never got to see an on-screen reaction to Maaku explaining to Sae how Makoto's Awakening went down. Like, just the sheer ridiculousness of describing Johanna's design should have made Sae go "Wait, WHAT?" right away.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Mementos is just boring. The music sucks, the atmosphere is dark and what, secret walls? I can't see properly in there anyway. Plus it's random, and Morgana van can't ambush nicely. He's huge.
This is also my takeaway from the Mementos. They're an interesting concept in practice...but suffer from some horrible execution, to the point Mementos feel like dead weight dragging everything else down. There is a small inkling of potential for expanding on the story from the Mementos such as exploring how the Metaverse works outside of Palaces (which seem to be big open sections of the Metaverse scattered about as opposed to the clustered and focused in one region Mementos), but a repetitive format coupled with a bad choice of music kneecaps any potential there could be.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Power Bottom posted:

god loving damnit mishima
Eh, he's a Confidant, which means Mishima probably has some degree of plot armor. Then again, I will laugh if Mishima's forum post is what leads to the reveal of who Medjed is/are, because just the thought of a dork like Mishima being partially responsible for taking down a hacker group is hilarious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, level with us Arist. How many Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider/Uncharted jokes are you going to have resist making in the next couple of updates?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

You fool! You've doomed us all!
I have no regrets.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Mot. The cause of many, many people to rage quit Nocturne back in the day. Glad to know that he's been knocked down a couple of pegs into "mildly annoying mid-boss" territory.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Given all the stuff that's been done about and to Lovecraft's works, I'd imagine upon seeing the Necronomicon being turned into a literal flying saucer, he'd just shrug and mutter "Yep, it's a Tuesday."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Sega owns Atlus, where's my Jet Set Radio x Persona 5 game?
That would require Sega to remember that Jet Set Radio exists, sadly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I see that Makoto has taken some stunt driving lessons off-screen, much to Morgana's chagrin.

PoptartsNinja posted:

She actually feels better after a few days but spends the rest of the remaining time getting distracted by Overwatch and cute kitten videos on Youtube, and so she just pretends to be asleep when people come to check up on her because she feels guilty about not taking care of Medjed.
This is canon until the game states otherwise.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Was "Like A Dragon" the movie Chie lent Yosuke, or am I misremembering?
That was called "Trial of the Dragon". However, Chie's theme in Persona 4 Arena is actually called "Like a Dragon", so I guess it still counts as a sort of reference.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Confidant Mementos is where at points we fight people who are arguably worse than some of the main Palace targets.

It's really hosed up.
So, judging by how awful the past three Palace targets were (I'm excluding Wakaba since she's technically not a target), we're going to be facing Totally Not Nyarly Dressed Up As Hitler, aren't we?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Sunglasses Hitler is a force not even #Millenials can deal with.
drat, so much for Nyarly as a bonus boss. Oh well, next time maybe.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

kw0134 posted:

The precis: the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) is the dominant political party in post-war Japan. It's generally seen as right/center-right, with a contingent that borderlines on "unreconstructed Imperial Japanese nationalists." (See, e.g., visits to Yasukuni Shrine, which honors among other people convicted war criminals.)

The conquered territories that Japan occupied up to and including WWII were lumped into what the Japanese euphemistically called the "East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere," because they're not imperialists, they're freeing the slaves of imperialists! Don't worry about that other stuff like slave labor, brutal crackdowns on restive civilian populations, borderline ethnic cleansing, or outright massacres, we're here to kick out those dirty Westerners.

Smashing the two into the Liberal Co-Prosperity Party is...not subtle.
In fairness, this is a franchise where one of the more well-known demons is a literal giant dick riding a golden chariot. So, being that on the nose with a swipe at national politics is pretty much par for the course for Atlus.

Speaking of swipes at things, did they make one at Russell Crowe's..."performance" as Javert during the film date with Yusuke?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

While I assume the reason Atlus localized Futaba's code name as Oracle was due to her role as support/looking out for the team in combat, the parallels between her and post-Killing Joke/pre-New 52 Barbara Gordon are hilariously similar. Barbara had her own massive computer system (much like Futaba's own system) set up so she could be the eyes and ears for many in the DC Universe and was always counted on as a valuable ally to many heroes. Oh, and the obvious character design (redhead with glasses) similarities are there too. I think that probably the big difference between Barbara and Futaba is that the former never really became as big of a shut-in as the latter did. Barbara had a support network to help her become accustomed to life in a wheelchair, while Sojiro was paralyzed about how to approach raising Futaba and never really reached out for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Does Sojiro get mad if you romance Futaba? :allears:
I have a feeling that regardless of romance, Sojiro will almost certainly be a third wheel for Futaba's Confidant. Hopefully, neither Confidant has a roadblock that requires the other Confidant to be at a certain rank before proceeding.