Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Prythian posted:

Guillotine fusion is REALLY ODD when you look at previous games. If I remember correctly, most Persona games, Igor simply combines cards that represent each Persona into one card for fusion. This thing where it's not Igor, but rather the attendant(s) that handles Fusion, as well as the brutal and destructive method in which the prior Personae into one, is completely out of character from past games. The fake Igor doesn't have the proper power to fuse, so instead delegates it to the attendants, and they can only manage it by destroying the previous Personae completely and melding their essences.
As weird as the guillotine is, your description almost perfectly matches how the Raidou games handle fusion. Victor takes the fusion materials, places them in cages, adds liberal amounts of science and boom, new demon ally. So, while the guillotine is weird for those who have only played Persona games, veterans of other SMT games won't quite find the guillotine so strange.

Then again, the Raidou duology features Victor Frankenstein living in the very spacious basement of an antiques dealer (who doubles as a weapon merchant), Rasputin as a time traveling secret agent, and a quest to prevent Totally Not Isoroku Yamamoto from dying otherwise the space-time continuum gets hosed sideways. "Weird poo poo happening" is part of those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bloody Emissary posted:

Now that I think about it, Morgana had the blue/black/yellow Velvet Room color scheme all along. Huh.
In fairness, Morgana's color scheme is predominately black, which sets him apart from the Velvet Room attendants who usually have a predominately blue color scheme. Morgana has blue eyes, yes, but they are not the primary color of Morgana's color palette nor what the casual viewer will focus on right away. Which helps sell the reveal that Morgana is a construct born from the Velvet Room in that, as you said, you don't notice that Morgana's colors are a match to the Velvet Room's usual color scheme until this point. And given that Fake Igor forcefully took over the Velvet Room, it also makes sense for Morgana's color scheme to not directly match people like Lavenza, the trio of Elizabeth/Margaret/Theodore (which the dancing game reveals are Lavenza's older siblings), or even the past attendants like Nameless, Demon Painter and Belladonna. Morgana was created as a last ditch response to Fake Igor's attack, so the real Igor probably didn't have enough time to get the details right, since I doubt it is easy to create a new life form while an evil god is flailing you around like a ragdoll or performing some other form of curbstomp.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GeneX posted:

So, yeah, it’s just SMT at this point
I'm half-expecting Yaldabaoth's body to dissolve after the incoming cutscene (no, that's not a spoiler; I've seen enough boss fights to know where this game is going) and reveal his final form is YHVH at this point.

But yes, I do agree that the game not coming up with something to represent Sloth for this boss fight is well, lazy and slothful in its own right. This is a franchise where things like debuffs and status ailments are made into a big deal, and you mean to tell me that the staff couldn't think of anything for Sloth? Hell, I'd make the "skills cost double amount" condition be what Sloth represents as it fits the sin's general description: you are so lazy that it takes double the effort to do something. Or go one step further and make it that your agility and accuracy while afflicted with the Sloth status effect both drop to 0 (or at least get halved) on top of the doubled skill cost condition.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Snorb posted:

The moral of the Persona series: Find the deific entity causing humanity the most trouble and blow an eighteen-foot hole through its head.
Or to put it another way, we defeated the Demiurge...by pulling our Devil Trigger.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

It is more that the highs in P5 are higher but the lows are lower.
That is definitely my impression as well, coming from someone who has not played the game. When Persona 5 finds its groove, it is a very satisfying production and the player gets a rewarding experience. Conversely, when the wheels fall off the bus, Persona 5 really cannot shake the stench of bad execution and half-baked concepts. This is really noticeable once we enter Okumura's arc, where the rewrites and production delays unfortunately stand out the most. About the only consistent part of the game that I can point to is the soundtack. Meguro and company really put in the effort to set (and help sell) the atmosphere of the game, but alas, a good soundtrack cannot overcome problems with the rest of the game.

The only thing I hope is that P5R takes the time to at least patch up the weaker parts of the game. But, what'll probably happen is very little improvement on that front, and way more on the costume front, because deep down we all know that the Dancing Star Night costumes are getting ported over without hesitation.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I'd say it's an even 50/50 split on Akechi being the game's super secret final boss, or for him to do a Shiho and be completely forgotten by the writers.
In a surprise twist, the secret final boss will be the SIU Director nobody cared about, who reveals he actually was Kagutsuchi the whole time.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Congrats on completing the LP, Arist. And yes, this game...definitely has flaws. When it finds its groove, Persona 5 works well and is enjoyable. But when it falters, the flaws really stand out badly. At the end of the day, Persona 5 does try to do its own thing, but ultimately doesn't stick the landing and it suffers for that. I hope that P5R tries to alleviate the problems with the base game, but assuming the same staff are on board, I do not have high hopes.

As for you Arist, take your time with any bonus content you want to put out. After everything that's happened, you've earned some rest.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Look at it this way, P5S is going to be bringing all of the butt rock remixes you could ever want.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

My belief is that dating Takemi will ultimately end with Maaku waking up vivisected on an operating table and his lungs missing.
I am not sure I want to see Katsura Hashino's remake of Crank.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

and Akechi and Godot have both the similarity in the games tries very hard to make you feel sorry for them and fall completely flat on their faces.
Counterpoint: Godot has a cool theme and is more entertaining than Akechi.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheKirbs posted:

In other news the new character's Persona has been confirmed as Cendrillon, the french name for Cinderella.
The other interesting thing of note is that the new trailer revealed that there are going to be more demons/Persona being added to the roster. In particular, Byakhee (from the Cthulhu mythos) was shown as an opponent. In case you're wondering, its last appearance was in the Persona 2 duology.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Geostomp posted:

More like a re-evaluation or old ideas to help advance in a new direction. They are just making more advanced versions of the same root ideas. The fusion has thematic elements of both previous tiers, but looks much more personalized for them than the fully mythological figures they used to be.

I just want to see how Makoto’s new fused persona will work since Anat was just Johanna in robot mode.
It'll basically be a triple changer like Blitzblast, and can go between motorcycle, robot and a new jet fighter mode. Randomly training a football team not included, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheKirbs posted:

Did Makoto always like fish?
I think the aquarium might be a new location for dates/hanging out with Confidants to learn more about them, since Makoto is talking about her father in the clip. Maybe we'll learn more about what her father was like and/or how much she looked up to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Miz Kriss posted:

I like that her combo attack with Morgana is "you drive while I shoot with best friend grenade launcher"
She also managed to dupe Morgana into driving into the explosion at top speed, while she bails out before the explosions go off.