Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blademaster_Aio posted:

By the way, the blackboard in our classroom has doodles on it that change with the plot. Please show us them if you can.

Also you can draw on the blackboard.

Some time later in the game, good things happen if you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dr. Fetus posted:

I mean there are certainly mistakes and stuff that just doesn't read well at all in there. But I wouldn't call the localization bad by any means. People who say it's outright garbage are being hyperbolic, because Persona 5 has nothing on localisations of older games, which did tend to fall into unreadably bad. It just falls into mediocrity, which is a bit unfortunate.

I feel like there are two types of complainants on this; people who complain about things like "how blatantly Japanese" the game is who are probably experiencing it as their first Persona game and would prefer Apollo to have his Hamburgers, and don't realise that's part of the charm for a lot of fans (or they just enjoy making GBS threads on Japanese things for god knows what reason), and the people who nitpick a couple lines of overlooked errors in a game that was delayed a lot, and that would be like the length of Lord of the Rings if you wrote it out. Neither of them are particularly wrong, but both are somewhat missing the point.

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm a native English speaker, and I was too busy enjoying the hell out of the game to notice or care about any of the stuff people have been complaining about when it comes to the English script.

Yeah apparently I just skip over most of it like the trick where you rearrange the letters in the middle of a word and it remains legible as long as the first and last are the same, because I didn't notice anything at all.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blastinus posted:

Special shoutout in that scene goes to the kids who, discovering that one of their classmates tried to commit suicide, decided to pull out their phones and take pictures. It's the little things that really make you dislike the faceless NPCs that populate this world.

I am frankly shocked nobody took a selfie.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Oh my god could you imagine.

We all know what his Persona would be. Even the game knows.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not really sure what it is that needs elaborating on, but if it's Kamoshida's actions, I think it's pretty safe to say that his mental version of the volleyball team being them in bikinis gets the message across very clearly.

He is one of the most acutely hate-able antagonists in recent gaming memory. I was entirely with the protag and Ryuji when they decided that if he goes braindead, so goddamn what? It's nice to have an enemy that is just straight-up evil, but even then, in a totally human way.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Completely irredeemable. Should've given the job to my erotic VN translator buddies, who would've ensured it was filled with memes. Kids like memes, right?

On a more serious note, I didn't even remember this line. It didn't stick in my mind at all, even immediately after reading it. I kind of skim-read everything I read, so maybe that's why, but I'm playing through SRW OG Moon Dwellers right now, and that's probably my standard for a busted translation. It's not unreadable, I get the broad strokes of the plot, but a lot of characterisations are lost because everyone speaks in the same "voice", if you know what I mean? P5 has charming characters and hateable villains, and with the sheer magnitude of text that must be in this game, I'm willing to overlook a few errors, especially given they must've been rushed for time bringing it out.

I don't have much problem with Shiho's treatment either. As people have said, given the nature of palaces, Kamoshida's offence needed to be something bad enough to counterbalance "possible braindeath" as a side effect. I don't think stealing staplers from the school supplies would quite have cut it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

sae is like turbo nofap, she just channels it all into FINDING THE TRUTH (and yelling at makoto)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Solitair posted:

Has anyone in the real world ever reverted to another speech pattern or language from getting too stressed or angry, or is this just a thing that happens in stories?

I'd imagine it's entirely possible if you have to consciously affect your day to day accent.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Arist posted:

I’m glad they didn’t go with any of these outfits in the real Persona 5 dancing game, because most of them are traaaaaaaash! Akechi’s is the only one I actually really like.

You apologise to those galaxy pants right now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kith posted:

It wouldn't feel nearly as much of an rear end-pull if we saw Akechi loving around with his card at any point, or if multiple people winning the same amounts as the player was noted as something that was announced.

The arena announcer mocking someone who actually bet on Joker to win would go a long way to showing this.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Solitair posted:

THE JIG IS UP
THE NEWS IS OUT
THEY FINALLY FOUND YOU

"You have your audience to thank for this. You were sold out."

WHO'S THE TRAITOR

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PlasticAutomaton posted:

He knew about Sae's palace before anyone but Makoto,

Are you telling me you wouldn't plug in the names of literally everyone you know and a whole slew of famous people as soon as you got the app?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Arist posted:

Also how could he have put it on that fast, for real

Ace Detective!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Clarste posted:

I would certainly hope that they learned from their mistakes. "Oh hey, turns out not being able to control your characters isn't fun."

Honestly, I like P4 better than P3. But I still think it's pretty clear that it's essentially a full-length expansion pack with the exact same gameplay systems and a few quality of life tweaks.

I have no problems not being able to control my characters directly, if I can at least give them general instructions. FFXII's gambit system appeals to the same part of me that spends 200 hours in Factorio. More games should use that type of system. Let me entirely automate random battles dammit.

They also learned that randomised fusions aren't fun, too.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AradoBalanga posted:

Since he can go into the Metaverse, Akechi went to where Kamoshida's palace was and found some trace of the Phantom Thieves' work.

Palaces collapse and disappear when the Shadow ruling it is beaten. If Akechi is snooping on the team, he has to do it during infiltration time. Or maybe in Mementos. But you can completely ignore Mementos outside the one forced trip, can't you?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Farseli posted:

That's what I was expecting. Clearly this means that Arist isn't wearing any pants while LPing.

Perfectly normal behaviour. :colbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The week after this game came out my boyfriend was absolutely sick of me belting out Rivers in the Desert in the car.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

If you get all your games for free, maybe.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Qrr posted:

It wouldn't have worked because people don't believe the phantom thieves exist. And people don't believe the phantom thieves exist because <footage missing>.

because the phantom thieves attempted to stab the personification of the collective desires of humanity in front of the subconscious minds of everyone, who responded by forcefully rejecting them, which when the world combined with Mementos, meant literally disbelieving them out of existence because this poo poo works on M:tA consensus reality rules now.

It's a slight conflation of the two meanings of "believing in" someone.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Oxxidation posted:

digital devil saga was kooky in all sorts of ways, and i miss it so

god is the sun, and he's PISSED

now eat people

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm not convinced it's possible to get a Fusion Accident after Lavenza appears on the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think the whole "story contradicting itself" re: people turning to the PThieves to solve their poo poo again isn't as bad as it first seems since I think it's pretty clear that Yaldabaoth isn't actually using the desires of the people to guide its hand, but in fact went rogue a long time ago from being hopped up on its own power, and is just using that as a flimsy justification for doing whatever it wants. I mean, it played a stacked game against itself, lost, then redefined the terms of victory, declared itself the winner anyway and did what it wanted in the first place. Yaldy had made its decision to erase humanity before Joker even set foot in the Velvet Room.

Just another lovely authority figure imposing its lovely will on people.