Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I always assumed it was out of chronological order. All the Confidant-related interrogation scenes sound like they happened before you even started your story, since she doesn't seem aware of the Metaverse at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well she goes to their school so it's not too unusual.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not just an accent, it's code switching.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The fact that she wants to be the Commissioner and not just a Detective or whatever implies to me that her dream is to change the system, not just to join it. You might call that naive, but I don't think she's ignoring the problems that we've seen.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 30, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Coq au Nandos posted:

Now that you mention this, the whole 'collapse of the government' angle would be way more believable if instead of a PE teacher, an artist, a mafia guy and a CEO the Phantom Thieves has targeted actual corrupt public officials like cops, prosecutors, and even the former Prime Minister. Might not play well in Japan though.

Hey, cut us some slack, we're trying.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Leraika posted:

I'm not 100% sure I know what's going on, other than the fact that Maaku somehow faked being shot in the head?

Don't worry, it'll be intricately over-explained over the next hour or so.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

The escape plan is not that hard to summarize (once it's not a spoiler anymore).

I meant the game over-explains it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

P4 seemed to be made as a quick cash-in on P3's surprising popularity, imo. SMT titles had always been cult hits at best, but P3 opened the door to mainstream success. The turnaround time between P3 and P4 was astonishingly short.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

LordNagash posted:

Weird that the 'quick cash-in' was better in pretty much every way than the thing it was supposedly cashing in on.

I would certainly hope that they learned from their mistakes. "Oh hey, turns out not being able to control your characters isn't fun."

Honestly, I like P4 better than P3. But I still think it's pretty clear that it's essentially a full-length expansion pack with the exact same gameplay systems and a few quality of life tweaks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I believe it was mentioned how the entire plot of Okumura's dungeon was a Star Wars pastiche (break into the enemy's space fortress to find the plans to their superweapon, plus evil dad), but Haru is sort of a combination of Luke and Leia. She's both the princess waiting to be rescued and the hero rescuing herself.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The point of Shido is that he's Donald Trump.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, Shido clearly does represent the game's thesis that people in power are assholes who dehumanize the people beneath them. It's not like he's out of place or anything, he just doesn't add much to it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shido's palace is pretty cool thematically (and I like the music too), but animated cutscenes are stupid and should've died out years ago when in-game engines started to be able to produce scenes that look just as good if not better.

Down with animated cutscenes! Curse you Shido for foisting this on us!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Blue Labrador posted:

That being said, ATLUS also released Nocturne, and that game's use of its in-engine cutscenes allowed for amazing 3D pans and haunting cel-shaded lighting in its cinematography, so the company clearly doesn't need traditional animation to make its games look good.

No need to even refer to another game: the game engine unmasking scenes for each character in P5 look pretty good too. Cel animation is 100% superfluous.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think people take this "Hifumi was originally meant to join the party" trivia and read WAY too much into it. We're probably talking about the very early planning stages, when all they had were a bunch of character designs and a vague outline of the plot. I very much doubt that that former role of hers (or rather, of her character design) has literally any observable effect on the final game. Her abilities have the theme of expanding your tactical options, because she's a shogi player.

If nothing else, the game has clearly gone through heavy rewrites that don't seem to involve her in the slightest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

(The following is personal interpretation obviously)
This is a Palace and those are Cognitions, not real people. They're not really sentient. I think once an intruder has bypassed the security measures a Palace can't really avoid forking over the info, although how that happens depends on the Palace itself.
I'll be damned if Shido isn't proud of his accomplishments and wishes he could talk about it openly; thus, his accomplices' cognitions start monologuing about the plans, past and future, at length, because it's something Shido wishes he could do.

E: and yeah this Palace is massively long with no enforced "come back tomorrow" breaks. I think I actually popped a soma about three quarters in.

That's how I read it too. Even at best, these are just the people's shadows so of course they're babbling all their evil plans.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

it was originally suppose to be out in 2014 (announced in 2013), and according to wiki it was first getting developed in 2008 around the same time as Catherine - which is the other game Hashino was working on.

So this game's been in development for eight years.

It's probably been through multiple major rewrites though, so it's not like they've been fine tuning the dialog for eight years.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In the context of the overall game and in particular this dungeon though, this is framed as "Ann's time to shine" because as we'll see going forward each of these recommendation letters focuses on a different party member. Since Ann's Phantom Thief Archetype is supposedly the "Femme Fatale" she gets the scene where she seduces the villain by pretending to be British royalty. Fine, whatever.

The problem being entire that she has no agency in this matter, and in fact has never been a Femme Fatale for the entire game. That's a pretty big problem, especially for a scene which is supposed to emphasize Ann's talents. Basically it's saying "you're only good for being sexy against your will."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I do feel that Yusuke was written as asexual, or at least close enough to it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

IIRC, Akechi will only attack Joker for at least one of his phases, making it pretty easy/amusing to just keep up Tetrakarn/Makarakarn on him. This is similar to how the big robot in the Okumura fight will only target Haru.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

I love that of all the things Cognitive Akechi could say to the guy who shot him, the thing he settles on is "you bastard!"

Did Shido pick up on that too, and if so, is CogAkechi throwing it out in kind of a fatty-fatty no-parents desperation move?

I'm guessing the translators just didn't think about it at all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Sojiro totally fought his way out of wherever Shido's goons took him.

Yeah, I just imagine it as being like a Yakuza game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The final villain being voter apathy is real cool actually.

I would say it's not blaming the victims so much as the bystanders, the ones who knew something was wrong but did nothing. Like, even from the very first arc (Kamoshida) it was mentioned that some people knew what was happening but looked the other way as long as the school's volleyball program was improving. Those are the people we're targeting now.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 23, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Probably a lazy translation of katte ni.

Edit: Yeah, "arbitrarily" is the first translation listed in the dictionary.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's using the Grail metaphorically, as "the thing which everyone seeks."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arist, you seem to be wondering why they go to school the day before Christmas, but the simple and boring answer is "why wouldn't they?" Christmas isn't a national holiday (Japan isn't a Christian nation, after all), and their school calendar doesn't give them a winter break on it. So Christmas, and therefore Christmas Eve, are just ordinary days. No one takes the day off, and nothing closes.

I mean, they know what Christmas is, and put up decorations and whatnot, but it's more like Halloween: just a day to have some fun on. But you still go to work first.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I really don't understand why everyone is so confused by the old English VA not being hired for Igor. It's kind of obvious in retrospect.

The old Japanese VA died and Atlus saw a chance to make an *incredibly* potent twist that would be broadcast in front of the player and yet never realized because of meta reasons. So they grab a new VA for Igor, only he's really !Igor. No one notices until they're at the very endgame when it's revealed and suddenly the old fans are going "Oooooh shiiiit!" as so many little inconsistencies are explained and new players are given enough information to nod at the VA thing as being pretty clever even if most of it flew over their head.

But what do you do for the English VA situation? You want to keep the player in the dark but you can't go hire some hitmen to kill the English-speaking VA, can you? So do you hire him back? Well then fans of the series will know something is definitely up when the old VA for Igor is listed but someone else is speaking for Igor. The point of this whole twist is to have it be an utter mindfuck: you were working for the villain the entire time and while it's understandable that the protagonist, who's never met Igor before, to not realize that. However it takes a lot more work to make the player believe such a thing.

If you hired the old VA and had !Igor speaking in the wrong voice questions would be asked. If you hire two new VAs and don't immediately announce who the second is for, you shrug and feel it's some weirdness with the VA guild or personal drama between the team and the VA. You never realize it's to disguise that something's wrong with Igor.

Or they could've just reused the old voice samples they already had, like they did in Japanese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

syncretism as i understand it is the term for different faiths or belief systems synthesizing as a result of cross-cultural assimilation, so your summary of zaou-gongen's origins were pretty much accurate

looks like the Shugendou sect was borne from the native Shinto beliefs of Japan syncretizing with the foreign Buddhist ones, and good old Z.G. is an amalgamate made out of multiple powerful deities from both faiths

Yeah. Another example is how a lot of local gods became Christian Saints after the natives were converted to Christianity. Basically it's easier to convert people if you explain it in terms they already understand.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wait, what dancing footage? Did I skim over this by accident?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sydin posted:

Yeah this definitely felt like the time to pull the old "Anime OP fades in over the dramatic final fight" trope. Alas.

At least Satanael is pretty fuckin' neato. I also like this scene even if it's cheesy as gently caress. All your rank 10 confidants rallying the populace is a pretty nice touch.

Apparently, if you haven't maxed out Mishima's confidant, an NPC takes his place for that whole scene. Specifically, the man with the floral pants.

Either that or I am very gullible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

I’ve been waiting over a year to point out Maaku is an anagram of Akuma, the Japanese word for devil. Congratulations, goons. Your silly voice actor joke accidentally foreshadowed the biggest and baddest of Joker’s Personas.

魔悪?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even if Shido flips on himself, what did he actually do, from a non-Metaverse perspective? Nothing. All he did was order his secret bastard son to magically go inside people's heads and kill them. If he confessed to that, he'd just sound crazy. IE: Even if he confessed, there's no evidence that any crime was even committed. There's no causation. Unless they have corroborating evidence that such a crime is even possible, which is why Sae need Maaku.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

Oh for pity's sake. What's the point of keeping fuckin' secrets now, protag? Because some nerds might say "oh but what if she levers Okamura Foods against the cops"?

Yeah, it's dumb that you're not allowed to tell your girlfriend what's going on. Like, is there even a reason to keep it a secret? It's just so they don't need to write multiple scenes of the gang finding out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, if you think about it we never did manage to steal her heart, did we?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In this case the true enemy isn't God, who is easily shot in the face by Satan, but the police, who must be defeated with the most powerful Arcana.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, the main Persona team went on to start working on some unnamed new Fantasy IP, and presumably Atlus isn't going to drop their money-cow, so P6 will probably have a fresh new perspective of some sort, for better or worse.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, once you get to rank 10 with someone you should be able to hang out with them for free and get a cool scene out of it too. And it shouldn't take any time either.

Yeah, that'd make a lot more sense, wouldn't it? Have it be a reward for reaching rank 10. You spend more time with the people you're closest to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Missed an EO shortcut because you're not used to what that stratum uses or you're just rushing? PQ has party members chime in with a voice clip every time you pass an action point, so you instantly know when to turn around and see what you missed.

To be fair, that particular feature has worked its way into the main EO games which let you gives voices to your characters. And I like it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No one seems to be talking about the ending specifically, but I do appreciate the small twist on "tearful farewells at the train station." Turning it into a road trip with the whole party instead is pretty cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Of course the question is if they'd even want to change anything given how popular it is. P5 in particular seems to have gotten great reviews and sold really well. While obviously it has its flaws when examined, people’s first impressions were that it was amazing. So if anything Atlus will want to release this exact same game as many times as feasibly possible.