Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quiet Python posted:

Jeff Moreau.

Mass Effect fans will know why.

That is a good name for a P3 male protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

There's also a reason that everyone else fled from the Escapist and their lovely culture and business practices. I can only imagine how much they must be paying him to disregard all that and stay the only thing holding their burning wreck of a site up.

What did happen to the Escapist? This is more out of curiosity then anything else as I only ever go to the side for Zero Punctuation.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carados posted:

Without causing a large detail, they went all in on gamergate and all that entails.

Ah. That would explain a lot.

Anyway I love how the characters awaken to their personas in this game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Ryuji is one of my favourite characters.

Also Kamoshida broke his leg.

I'm pretty sure at this point I wanted to smash Kamoshida's face in. And the game does it's absolute best to maintain this feeling.

Me too. Of course by the end of the dungeon I wanted to do much worse to the bastard.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This intro is very good at doing one thing. Making you want to strap Kamoshida to the back of a car and drive until there is nothing left of the bastard.

GoneRampant posted:

For anyone who seriously wants to claim 'this game has a bad localisation,' I'd direct them to this scene. Kamoshida's scumbaggery is just done so masterfully here; he's legitimately detestable, both in and out of character. In fact, he's a little too good- this may be a spoiler, but none of the villains really hit as many highs as Kamoshida.

There are definitely worse issues for a game to have then the intro is just too good.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 1, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Should I make the implications clear for those unable to make the leap in logic themselves?

Wait for the next update.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Having had some irl experience with what happened this update, when I reached this point in the game I was stunned. I could not and still can not remember a game making me feel this emotionally connected to what was going on as at this point I had come to loathe the bastard enought that I would have been perfectly all right with Joker just carving in his loving skull.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

It wasn't hard to guess that's what he'd done, mind you.

You could think that there is a limit to just how much of a scumbag Kamishida could be and in a way there is. It just turns out that limit is from him having run out of horrifying ways to abuse his position.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Oh, it's not unjustified in the story. That doesn't change the fact that the game just said "Kamoshida is wrong for sexualizing Ann" and then puts Ann in a specialty-store dominatrix outfit. That was a deliberate design choice, and in-story justifications don't cover what the art team decided over lunch.

Is it super egregious? No, not really. Is it kinda icky that a character who has just avoided sexual extortion in the story is now being represented as a sexual object for the player? Yeah.

E: I think this criticism will work better when the LP gets a bit farther in, tbh

They could have handled it better, but there are some great moments in the story when they mess around with it.

Also I think the reason they chose the aesthetic, or at least the explanation that I have heard that makes sense, is that it represents a more playful type of thief archetype which does fit with her character.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

Ann confronting Kamoshida was pretty great right there. Man the voice acting in this game is actually stellar.

What I like the most about that scene is that Ann saves herself. Instead of having the party come in and save the helpless girl the party show that despite everything trying to crush her that she still has people who will support her and then they challenge Ann to prove that Kamoshida is full of poo poo herself.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kemix posted:

There's a bit of free DLC as well, one gives you a few items, one of those items is a full party heal. It also sells for 50k if you REALLY need the money.

It gives you some healing items that are useful at the start of the game, and a soma which sells for a lot which is either the most crucial item for the early game or you will completely forget about having it until you reach the last couple bosses.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They really do a good job with Sojiro. At first he just seems to be another reminder that society hates you but as you dig into the game you start to see just how good a person he actually is. Also I never even saw some of the scenes in this update so I am looking forward to seeing what else I missed in this game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

Is this gonna be one of these gigantic/long RPGs like Witcher 3 is?

It takes about 80 hours to finish the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Jesus Christ can you go one thread without popping in after two updates and screaming "LOOK LOOK I KNOW ABOUT THE ENDGAME!!!!!!!"

I'm with the OP on Ann, her costume just feels out of place both because it's oversexualized for no reason and because (unlike every other party member) she actively seems to dislike it, as we see here. I guess you could make the argument that Ann sees the "spirit of rebellion" as a sexy femme fatale, but I feel like that could have been portrayed as something other than a skin-tight bodysuit with a boob window. Also there's a tail. Why is there a tail?

Gameplay-wise her speed isn't great, so most battles are over by the time you get to her. It also doesn't help that she basically has no options for damage outside of fire, so she's completely neutered if an enemy blocks it.

Considering her mask has cat ears on it, the tail is part of her cat bugler aesthetic. Honestly I never really worry about speed as for the most part Joker does the heavy lifting and if need-be can just sub her in with baton pass. Beyond this she does have some decent utility so even if you run up against an enemy who is immune to fire she can still contribute.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I buy the best weapons I can for the first dungeon to help stretch my resources, but once that is done I mostly ignore them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

Oh god time-limited missions and you need to plan in advance what you do in each day-ARGGHH yeah I don't think I would handle this game well with my typical OCD in RPGs where I want to do everything in a single playthrough

You do not have to plan out what you do in advance. A couple hints on what is more efficient and social stat roadblocks and you can easily see almost everything you would have any interest in seeing/doing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ann is a very coinflip character. There are some aspects of her role as a character that are mishandled badly, whilst their are other parts that are done extremely well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The mileage that comes out of technicals comes from the ease of which you can set them up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Sojiro is fantastic. Morgana is awful. Shiho is a prop and it's kind of skeevy.

Story of the game, right there.

What makes you view Shiho in terms of how the game handles her skeevy?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Don't want to get into spoilers, but her role in the story thus far is as a prop for Ann (or the narrative) to drag out whenver the game thinks things are too lighthearted or positive, instead of her being an actual character.

It comes off as using a suicide attempt as a cheap prop, made worse because it's entirely unnecessary for the story. Ann's motivation should probably have been to stop the rear end in a top hat teacher from coercing her into sex; the revenge plot adds nothing.

I personally disagree with you. The suicide attempt is the catalyst for everything as without it the phantom thieves would not have challenged Kamoshida like they did.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

And the game could quite easily have done that without turning a suicide attempt into a plot point. Maybe Ryuji and the Protagonist get incensed on behalf of the team members he's physically abusing and he retaliates by trying to expel them. Maybe they get mad on Ann's behalf.

The point is that the game tries to be dark but imstead uses topics that should be handled delicately as blunt plot sledgehammers. This is a recurring theme.

What are you talking about? Talking as someone with personal experience with that type of poo poo I think the game did a decent job of handling it. From a story perspective though something horrifyingly dramatic had to happen to get the game moving. Ryuji as a decent human being felt worried about a plan that could mentally lobotomize someone and Ann had managed to just about figure a way to not give up too much to Kamoshida. Both of those are horrible situations but the characters had figured out how to not completely break from everything. Kamoshida would need to commit some new atrocity to force the characters into action and abusing Shiho to the point of attempting suicide is horrible, the only other ways he could make such a reckless plan seem justified would have been even wrose.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like her ideology.

Same here. Just killing him would only give her some satisfaction, whilst making everybody else have to deal with awkward feelings of just how to process what happened. Instead everyone who he terrorized ends up being vindicated.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Montegoraon posted:

Mishima is kind of a dork and kind of a loser. He has faults that do not fall on the list of sexy, attractive faults that make people gush over you. But to me, the level of hatred that a very few people show for him is a clear indication that those people are bad.

That will be a subject of much discussion when the full extent of that character is revealed. I would say more but I fear that would go into spoiler territory.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cicadalek posted:

Haha, what an rear end in a top hat

Or it could be because he wants to look more harmless and hopefully mitigate the amount of poo poo he gets for being viewed as a criminal delinquent.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In regards to guts not really. You need rank two guts to start digging into Takami. More importantly the game doesn't really expect you to pour so much focus into guts as the game expects you to be in the last third of the game to actually start the link. Honestly that is one of the things I would change about the game in a remake would be to have the gun event only trigger in September.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
ModEdit: *snip*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 27, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The spoiler policy is up to you but I just felt that any advice in the intro post to the none spoiler P5 thread is fair game when the relevant point is brought up in the lp.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I won't say anything else about mementos until it becomes actually relevant.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drakenel posted:

Nnnno? It happens early game too. Like, right here at the point at the LP. I don't think we're on the same page.

Which may not matter, since detailing would be very very minor spoilers.

Would you mind expanding upon this in either of the game threads?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tora is easily one of the top two or three confidants in the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blademaster_Aio posted:

And after that, we decided we really needed a coach to help us write calling cards.

Except... Joker isn't the one who wrote the calling card, in the actual game, so Sae still doesn't make sense.

But we definitely put the Sun's speech skills to good use.

How would Sae know that? Anyway her point was more that you needed somebody with connections to be as effective as you were, hence the idea of working with a politician.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can we please stop dancing around what happens until we get there?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The fact that his distortion is major enough to earn a palace is a sign that there is something really hosed up in the way Madarame views the world. Add in his cultural status and he makes a pretty good first target that isn't out of pure survival instinct.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 6, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kevos Setzer posted:

They probably should have come out and told him, at least told him Ann's history with Kamoshida. As an artist surrounding himself in his art, it's possible he's been isolated enough not to hear about the scandal, and even if he did there's no reason for him to think these brats were in the middle of it.

Yusuke's missing key information in this exchange, and it paints him in a worse light to the viewer. It's a lack of communication dictated by author fiat to keep the plot going. It happens in plenty of stories, and it's annoying every time.

He might not care though as he is already starting to break due to what Madarame is doing to him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Don't let distractions about culpability distract you from Ann's stalker blackmailing her into sexual harassment. Like, he could have asked for cash, but no, he's gotta threaten a girl and her friends so she'll get naked for him.

No one is saying what he is doing isn't lovely. Instead people are saying that his own position is also really lovely.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The best part is that you generally don't see it coming until it happens to you and it is adorable.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And also going by Takemi and the general themes of the game they have always been screwed over by authority.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 10, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Lucky Punch is, no joke, the best physical skill in the game.

It is a very useful ability but it is still no match for a certain tower persona and their unique skill.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is why I never could get too mad at the setup for the joke. Yes it is creepy and just after Kamoshida it may not be the best timing, but the first time I saw the punchline of it all I just started to laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Wait, what

holy poo poo is that what's been happening

You never noticed that?