Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Playing through this game right now. In fact I bought a ps4 specifically to play this game.

I love the name the forum picked....that's just beautiful :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

Sojiro is a bit of whiplash after the incredible Good Dad that was Dojima from P4, but so far he's real interesting. The stuff he's said to Maaku and the stuff he's done for Maaku don't quite line up.

Unless you bought into the argument that Dojima was abusive (not physical abuse, just neglect) to his daughter.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bobfly posted:

I think abuse is a strong word, but after doing his S-link, there's no doubt to me that, despite wanting to do right by her, Dojima's priorities and general mental state were not great for parenting before Our Hero stepped in.

I didn't say he was VERY abusive, but yeah Dojima wasn't as good of a dad as was implied earlier before Yu stepped in to help out.

As for my choice of words, the word abuse wasn't to imply strength of such. I work in the health/hospice industry and I'm just going by the legal definition. Neglect is legally a form of abuse.

Do note that I'm not implying that Dojima is a bad person. He's a good guy who just happens to be imperfect when it comes to his parenting.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 20, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Just watched this weeks Zero Punctuation, which is P5.

I had to check outside to make sure the skies weren't blood red and seas boiling.

He actually LIKED the game.

Also, I remember fondly the himdaisy comics, but let's face it, that situation is exaggerated a bit :)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

I mean he made a comparison to Mass Effect Andromeda so you could take it like he accepts it like a lesser of two evils.

I'm fairly certain that man cannot enjoy anything.

Nah, he enjoys quite a few games.

It's the fact that he enjoyed a non-paper mario JRPG is what got me surprised.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Clarste posted:

He's a comedian, and no one laughs when he praises a game. That's about it.

I wouldn't call him a comedian, he's a critic in the caustic style.

The fact that he's funny is just a side-effect.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 20, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Clarste posted:

Having Curse and Bless deal damage while also adding Nuke and Psi pretty much doubled the number of elements you need to test though.

Surprisingly enough, this is not as much of a problem in this game as you might think.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

This game is incredible, I feel like I need to wait for it to come out on PC. Should I?

edit: :negative:
\/\/\/

I specifically bought a PS4 for this game.

Suck it up and pay the piper......

Easier said than done I know :negative:

Also, having never played Golden (watching several scenes of Marie was enough to make me want to burn every copy I might come across, let alone play the evil thing), what the hell is wrong with Vanilla Kanji?! I considered him to be one of the best teammates due to Elec weakness being common, having matarukaja, having great physical attacks (that would only "barely" be eclipsed by Chie near the end and only then because she got charge), and just being awesome in general.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 26, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Rogue 7 posted:

He gets Power Charge in Golden. 'Nuff said.

Oh.

Goddammit.

Well, doesn't matter I still think he's great in P4 Vanilla. Having Matarukaja alone should make him a contender.

Actually, I'm not sure I'm ok with that change to be honest.

Kemix posted:

A LOUD reminder to people that P5 is ALSO on PS3. It really just has slightly longer loading times and graphical downscaling that doesn't matter as much as some people might think. It just doesn't have a Special Edition version or has any feelies that Atlus likes to include in their games. (aka: Atlus Tax)

Also for some ungodly reason I blanked on Ryuji's Arcana. Sorry, my bad, I was in a hurry to get to work and my brain blanked.

I personally figured that since I skipped the PS3 I might as well just jump to the PS4, but this is a good point if you want to save 1 or 2 hundred dollars.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 26, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

Kanji did roughly the same damage with two Primal Forces that Chie did with one Power Charged God Hand, along with significantly more health and Matarukaja, so saying he was bad in the original is somewhat silly as he's overall better than her, especially during her giant dead stretch in the middle of the game. Him gaining Power Charge in Golden certainly didn't help her either, though she became significantly better as well.

Thank you :hfive:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

Yosuke wasn't actually that dumb. It's easy to miss because the game will not go 10 minutes without telling the player how cool the protagonist is, but Yosuke's actually the one who figures out basically everything murder-related and explains it to the protagonist while he stands there with a dumb look on his blank self-insert face. Yosuke was immature because he's a teenager, and the game constantly makes him the butt of all the jokes, but as far as actually figuring things out and taking initiative he's the driving force behind 90% of the player's actions. He's the actual protagonist.

I always held on to this theory myself.

The main character was the leader of the bunch (or face of the band if you will), but Yosuke was the man behind the man or driving force, so to speak. Though one notable exception was avoiding the bad endings.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, I'm guessing that Ann's motif is a cat burglar? She's got some Long Halloween Catwoman vibes going on with her costume.

Pretty much. It's an ok design.

What's really weird about this game is how much I like the basic personas vs the upgraded ones. The upgraded ones are just not as cool.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Clarste posted:

Well, she does work as a model, apparently by choice, so it's not like she's totally against being seen as sexy, or flaunting her beauty. The point is just that that by itself doesn't make her a slut or a sex doll or whatever.

I mean, Hamiru's problem is that people unjustly see him as a criminal so he dresses up as... a thief? People think Ryuji's a dumb thug so he dresses up as a thug with a pirate theme? It's less like they're denying what people see them as, and more that they're repurposing the image that was thrust upon them into their own power. Of rebellion.

Edit: Not that the way the story treats Ann is perfect or anything, but I don't think her costume is the problem at all.

Agreed.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Arist posted:

It's just that Ann is really only good at one thing

Four things actually. Ann has four distinct strengths as a character gameplay wise.

About the outfit...well....that discussion should wait till later when he have more information.

Short answer - people are , as always, overstating the problem.

Also, Haifisch, love the avatar.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

derra posted:

Ann is one of the *most* versatile members of the team for the vast majority of the game and had a nigh permanent spot on my Merciless run. Only in endgame does she become a one trick pony, but it's still one hell of a trick.

I mean, you can complain that she's SP reliant, or can't do good damage against fire resistant enemies, but "versatility"? She excels at that.

Indeed :golfclap:

She didn't make it onto my final team at the "very bitter end", but she got plenty of use up till that point since she provides support in areas that no other party members go.

If you go by the old rpg strategy "Damage prevented is damage healed" then Ann is the 2nd best healer in the game*.

Also on Merciless.

*not counting the PC.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Arist posted:

She's not the least useful party member, still.

I'm trying to think of who this might be....

I have an idea that it's one of two characters. One I would agree with you on, and one that I would REALLY disagree with you on.

Can't wait to see which one it is :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Arist posted:

I don't play on Merciless because I like liking this game.

Awwww....

SMT games and Masochism are a time honored tradition :downs:

I don't blame you though.

Interestingly enough, Ann is generally the most divisive character combat wise on other boards (reddit, etc...). It comes down to whether you see her as a downgraded Yukiko, or an upgraded Mitsuru. I'm obviously in the latter camp, but I do see the argument for the former.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

The soda pops that restore sp are a good deal as well.

Especially the ones in the machine nearby the cafe.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Rangpur posted:

It's not really a spoiler to say Morgana's animations in the real world got me warmed up to him a hell of a lot faster than Teddie.

Anytime I got annoyed with Morgana, I'd look at him and then go "ITS A KITTY" mode.

He's too drat cute for his own good.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Dredging up "wait, the tool making has multiple tabs discussion" sort of:

I just found out you can use the toilet & bed in the Velvet Room for bonus dialogue. Hopefully Arist shows it off since I'm probably not the first to go "wait, you can DO that?".

I discovered that 3/4's through my first playthrough.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement.

The tool tabs thing only took me 1/2 through to figure out :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Blastinus posted:

Concerning training, it's probably not worth it unless you have literally nothing to do, which is unlikely to happen in a first playthrough. What happens is you get three or four sessions of 5 HP, then the protagonist gets used to that exercise and only gets 1 HP that day. Then you do a new exercise for 6 HP, only to get 1 HP again once you're used to THAT exercise, and so on.

And if you're thinking, "Great! I'm in NG+ and don't have social stats to grind. Let's just crank that sucker all the way to 999 HP!" then I have unfortunate news. Eventually you stop improving and training becomes basically useless. In the long and short run, it's just an absolute waste of time.

eh.....your mileage may vary here.

If you're good at time management, and don't give a squat about certain trophies, it's very possible to start maxing out your social links (I mean confidants) with about a month's worth of days for you to do whatever you want. As such, working out is as good as any other choice really.

Assuming you use protein on every occasion that you work out, you should probably get around 80 bonus hp and a fair amount of bonus sp before you finish training. That can mean the difference between life and death on hard/merciless.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

THIS conversation is still going on? What is this, single issue WANK week?

So we don't go into CIA black bar mode, how bout we can it till we see some more of her social link? There's a bit of an explanation as to why her persona (ie her inner self/ego) picked that outfit.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Counterargument, "don't you feel weird perving on this teenage girl" doesn't suddenly justify the back half of that sentence.

Japan has different ages of consent to Western Culture.

Can we please stop this topic for now? At least until we get more info in the game? It's starting to feel like a festering boil on an otherwise decent lp.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

This isn't ethnocentricism, it's pointing out that the game is guilty of literally the exact thing it's trying to condemn. You don't need to defend the e-honor of Persona's Weird Sex Stuff, the LP isn't suddenly going to stop existing because you didn't come running to the defense of ephebophilia.

don't put words in my mouth.

I DON'T agree with the sexualization of 16 year old.

Frankly, I REALLY want to tell you off right now. THIS is the kind of poo poo we're so close to right now.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I'm not entirely sure about the truth law, but I do know that Japan has (or at least had, not sure if they've made progress since I read about it a few years back) a serious issue when it comes to it's legal system.