Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

frajaq posted:

What the gently caress just happened

Morgana pulled a random superpower out of his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Tora is rad.

The stalker is awful.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Cyouni posted:

I have a weird feeling as to what 'uncomfortable section of the game' might refer to, and I'm hoping I'm not right.

It starts by an art student stalking the lone female member of our four person party and just goes straight off a cliff from there

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Don't let discussions about culpability distract you from Ann's stalker blackmailing her into sexual harassment. Like, he could have asked for cash, but no, he's gotta threaten a girl and her friends so she'll get naked for him.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 8, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Makoto trying to stalk you is one of my favorite details in this game. :allears: She, uh, also can't turn around properly! The video is from about two in-game weeks later than where the LP currently is and doesn't really spoil anything.

It really is just adorable.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Sojiro is pretty easily the best character so far, though I've got hopes for the guy who wants to mentor us into becoming a successful politician and helping to change the world, he seems legit.

For a game that repeatedly talks about how awful adults are, it's weird and kinda funny that half of the adults we've interacted with in any significant manner are good people.

Takemi is fun, Sojiro is great, gun dude (who I forget the name of) is cool, and Japanese Bernie is rad.

Contrast to Kamoshida, Jabba the Principal, the SIU director (maybe? He mostly just generically gloats and we somehow see him gloating, despite this being framed as talking to Sae), and the rude bald dude.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Yes, yes, that's great

but when Ryuji is ranting about lovely adults and half your social links are at a post-collegiate level, since he's spouting a theme of the game there, it makes the game's insistence on "adulthood is bad" instead of "people abuse authority" or whatever look really loving dumb

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

quote:

A Palace is a reflection of how its owner views the real world. So if Madarame’s cognition of reality changes, it’s only natural that his Palace would be affected. And all jokes aside, we really will need Lady Ann to strip for Yusuke. It’s the only way.

This, not making you get some sleep because the developers now hate internal narration, is why I dislike Morgana: it's where his infatuation with Ann crosses the line from annoying but fine to outright awful. It frames all his other stuff in a much less innocent light.

When you're deliberately tricking the object of your obsession into stripping for you, your crush isn't innocent.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

I always saw it as less of a 'totally perving on Ann' and more of a 'feelings on Ann aside, the only objective way to do this is for Ann to accept Yusuke's request'. Like if they had more lines with Morgana/Ryuji going 'this isn't cool but it's the only way' instead of just Ann finally deciding it's worth it, it'd seem less bad.

It might be because this infilitration is right after Kamoshida. I mean it's not like this whole sequence of events would look less bad if Yusuke was trying to get Ryuji to pose nude.

Yes, if the characters said different things than they did and acted in ways that they didn't, things would be different.

Unfortunately, that's not what happened, and trying to justify what did is a fool's errand.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gruckles posted:

What. How is Morgana tricking Ann there?

From the exact same update, Morgana agreeing with Ryuji to try to convince Ann:

Ryuji: We're not sayin' you should really get naked.
Morgana: It’s simply the best excuse for you to enter Madarame’s house without raising suspicions… So, we’d like for you to play the role of decoy, Lady Ann.

Later, to the protagonist:

Morgana: A Palace is a reflection of how its owner views the real world. So if Madarame’s cognition of reality changes, it’s only natural that his Palace would be affected. And all jokes aside, we really will need Lady Ann to strip for Yusuke. It’s the only way.

"Ann won't actually have to strip" becomes "well actually Ann will, but I'm telling that to the protagonist, not Ann."

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Rawkking posted:

He still has an at least implied interest in her based on a couple of things he says. But it pales in comparison to Morgana's attitude to her.

It's a lot more blatant than "implied", but I suppose we'll get to that when we get to it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

These lines are so weird. I'm not even sure what the first one is supposed to mean.

The first one is pretty incoherent and I have no idea what the hell "dispassionately realistic" even means in this context.

The second line is just poor translation/localization. It's basically "Now that I have my persona (and thus am out from under your thumb), I can see you for who you really are!"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'm not voiced by a voice actor and all of you claiming to be need to check in with psychiatrists

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

For all that I think this entire scenario nearly ruins the game, I do think the dungeon has some of the best setpieces and design of them all.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The game really wants you to care about this painting, jeez

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there literally anything in this game you actually liked or do you intend to complain non-stop for the rest of the LP

Yes

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Here's a picture I found.

This looks like vomit, but I'm sure it's actually really good

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

It's good, but personally, I like Okonomiyaki more. It's slightly less of a pain in the rear end to make and I think it tastes better in general.

I can see that: good Okonomiaki is delicious, and bad usually isn't a disaster. Monja seems like it could go wrong very easily, since it seems like the texture and progression of cooking is pretty delicate.

Most japanese food is pretty good, I think, but that might be bias from only eating at good restaurants.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

So did the game forget about the whole "running an artist factory farm and kicking them out with no life skills" thing? It kinda feels like his great crime is supposed to be extreme plagiarism related to Yusuke rather than ruining multiple lives, which is a bit of a letdown from Kamoshida's sexual and physical harassment of the volleyball team (with attempted coercion of Ann into sex on the side.) Like, okay, he's a fraud, but the art factory farm seems like a much worse moral failure than hijacking Yusuke's childhood and letting his mom die.

I'm asking seriously, by the way, not sarcastically commenting. Is this a cultural differences thing, bad localization, or what?

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 3, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The sins theme is always hamfisted, in large part because 4 of the sins are actually just greed or envy

This game is no exception, and would be better (to a pretty much immaterial amount, granted) if it was just cut entirely

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

They're psychonauts but really bad at it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Alkydere posted:

So this is the true Psychonaut sequel? Will the entire team have to do the final battle as a set of brains bouncing about?

It would be much better than the actual final battle, though that's just true of most games

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The side material like the movies is absolutely fantastic.

For all the well-deserved poo poo people give the translation, they did an awesome job with the parodies.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Arist posted:

The worst thing about The Cake Knight Rises is that the psychopath is right, pie is awesome and better than cake

:agreed:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Inviting your homeroom teacher over while she's in a job that probably involves prostitution at some level is creepy as hell

On an entirely different note, Ann's slink is pretty good, even if it feels like our protagonist isn't really doing much of anything in it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Presumably he takes the cash as rent for you commandeering his shop's attic

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The same writers who thought/think Yusuke blackmailing Ann was hilarious somehow made Kawakami's slink ridiculous rather than incredibly creepy, and I'm honestly not sure how

also I feel like we should have actually met Shiho again by now

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Extreme therapy isn't illegal

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Poltergrift posted:

Well, then you have to ask who decides what is and isn't "distorted." How objective is the "cognitive world?" Do its ethics necessarily match ours, or are we just seeing the parts of our ethics that match, i.e., the distortion of genuinely vile people like Kamoshida and Madarame?

I don't think they thought it through nearly that far, though it's actually an interesting question

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I think maybe y'all shouldn't try to analyze the justifications for any given narrative element while we're still missing like half the characters on the box art

maybe some things make more sense later, I dunno, I didn't pay attention to the plot cutscenes

still, lots of questions being asked which the game might theoretically answer

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ryuji is a moron but it's not like Yusuke and Morgana are especially smart

One seems to have an infuriating lack of either common sense or care for others and the other is an actual cat

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

(Disdainful comment regarding Yusuke)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

AriadneThread posted:

so what does 'housekeeping' actually do?

As the game says, you can pay her to make coffee or wash laundry, as an alternative to using a time slot on those things.

Why you can't just read a book while doing laundry anyway is just poor game design (or rather, poorly justified game design)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Deltasquid posted:

I am already sick tired of this gimmick. Artix, save us with a quick update. :gonk:

(Witty and subtly degrading response)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Makoto is trying so hard, and she's so bad at it. It's great.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ryuji and Makoto are good characters and I like them

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Makoto is goddamn fantastic in almost every single way, and in my mind nearly (but not quite) makes up for the last dungeon's bullshit

She's well-characterized, intelligent, proactive, coherent, helpful, and owns a literal goddamn motorbike persona, which she rides dressed in friggin armor.

Everything about this sequence (besides the translation), from her immediately accepting blame to trying to reason out what's going on to taking charge to running shadows over in a motorcycle is absolutely fantastic.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

it reminds me a lot of the best moment of FFXIII, a terrible game which has one good character, Sazh

his stand/persona/"eidolon" manifests itself as a goddamn car on fire

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ann's sideplot is incoherent and disconnected, the actual character is good.

Makoto brushing you off because you're too stupid to be friends with is another good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Yeah, but Makoto is a good character and Morgana is a cereal mascot reject with a massive ego