Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sure the next one is going to be Tea Trivia. Dunno what will come after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How many social links do we have so far? I kinda lost track.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm partial to Vincent Price myself.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

bman in 2288 posted:

Outside of the Persona series and one Disgaea game, I've never seen it played the SMT series.

Which Disgaea game is that?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Personally I prefer pastries.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Fun fact: cheesecake is actually a custard pie.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Deltasquid posted:

I actually assumed the opposite. If we were to extrapolate our knowledge of persona 4 and the way shadows work there, I'd say the palace masters know on some deep, subconscious level that what they're doing is wrong, so their cognition/self-image unnaturally justifies or omits these bad parts of themselves as a defense mechanism. The shadow versions we see are what they are deep down, but if you were to bring Kamoshida to his own palace and show him his own shadow, his reaction would be a "gently caress off, that's not me, that's some lovely caricature of me." à la persona 4. Unlike persona 4, accepting yourself isn't a moment of happiness and acceptance that you're different from others, and that's okay. Instead, it's realizing you've seriously hosed up, and the illusion shatters and now they're horrible husks of guilt-ridden tears as they can no longer fool themselves into believing this behavior is normal or justified in some way.

But then how do the "palaces" in Persona 4 work?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

If we're going with the theme of 7 deadly sins, then this guy is definitely greed. Also, wasn't there some sort of announcement from Atlus asking people not to show the game after 7/7? I wonder if something happens during this guy's confession.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in Persona 2 or 1 didn't nuclear do almighty damage?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

cdyoung posted:

in persona 2 Frei was a subset of fire. Like how Bufu is a subset of water.

Really? I never heard that. Are the other elements like that?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That's something I've wondered; what is the difference between greed and gluttony?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Legend of Koizumi, the only time when Pope Palpatine was ever cool.
You mean this guy?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The Persona continuity is fairly straightforward when compared to the overall Megaten universe. There are two hiccups though: whether or not SMT if... counts as a Persona game (people say that it laid the groundwork for the Persona series, but don't say if it is a Persona game), and the Kuzunoha thing in Persona 2. But other than that it's fairly self-contained.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Wait, her sin is Wrath? Gotta admit, I would not think that. I suppose I should be glad that they didn't make it obvious with her doing violence against herself.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Deltasquid posted:

I think that while you can criticize the persona devs for some old-fashioned attitudes like the gay jokes or Yusuke's initial behavior, they often seem to put a lot of thought and research into foreign deities and religions. Probably spilled over from compiling lists of demons or personas in their games for so long (often with descriptions changing between games, so they're reviewing them every so often.) Their knowledge of Greek myths and motifs in Persona 3, or indeed Western fiction and Christianity in most of their games, are testaments to that.

Atlus itself has definitely done its research since it's not just limited to Persona; the Hindu elements in Digital Devil Saga are quite extensive.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

They could switch off depending on the player's choice. Considering how much Futaba is "sleeping", Hifumi could've substituted in for those occasions.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I don't know why no one tried to spread the rumor that they were a literal god on earth.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Kay Kessler posted:

Ann just going "I'm not worried, I trust you guys" is a huge breath of fresh air from the P4 girls and their whole "Hey guys can we stay in your tent- YOU BETTER NOT DO ANYTHING TO US IN OUR SLEEP! :byodame: " schtick.

While I like the trust, isn't the amount of time each group spent together at those points different? How long did the P4 girls spend time with the P4 boys compared to their P5 counterparts?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

This would be cool because I didn't like how Shiho just disappeared from the plot, but on the other hand it'd mean we wouldn't get to dunk on Mishima for being a total goober. Well, not as much anyway.

I wonder if there were any plans to make her a party member or a Confidant.

While seeing her recover would be a nice story, considering the serious stuff in Shiho's sub-plot and that the writers can be tone-deaf at times, it might for the best that she isn't a Confidant.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Omobono posted:

She's a decent character, pity she comes in way too late. Naoto was part of the plot since at least Rise (if not Kanji) IIRC.

You know, it might have been interesting if she were a Confidant before this plot happened. We could have gotten hints about her dad, maybe she put up the request for her father on the Phan-site and grew frustrated waiting for the Phantom Thieves to get around to it, and when she got the opportunity with Morgana to do it herself, she took it.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

- I get the feeling that all of those guns are insinuating that Haru's sitting on a lot of pent up aggression. Hooray secretly violent sides. :dance:

I thought everyone in the party had pent up aggression.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Mraagvpeine: Attempt #1

I say Chihaya Mifune because with her at our side we can control fate itself.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

DanielCross posted:

Everyone else is talking about Mishima, so can I be the first to say what the gently caress?

Yeah, I'mma go on a limb here and say that we're gonna have to change the hearts of those awful parents.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Blademaster_Aio posted:

We’re on a roll :D

I hope we get to max out the rest of our confidants soon.

Hifumi has some of the best abilities.

What're the current ranks of the confidants?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Based on the past games, if/when Persona 5 gets an updated re-release with a new Aeon social link, I wonder if it'll be for an existing character or a new one.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Sae didn't do anything criminal, right? So was there a need to change her heart anytime prior to now?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm always thankful for people explaining all the problems with the legal system in Japan since I know very little about law, but what about the civil system? Any major problems there?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I've had this theory that social links are with people who either have a Persona or the potential for it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I was going to say that the Transformers Judas is Starscream, but then that would mean Megatron is Jesus and I can't think of a better replacement.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Why not have a hole in the scale?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I'm pretty sure even the bad guy knows who we are.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder if the missing Judgement ranks were cut content.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Thinking about it, getting a Persona means going through one or two of the 5 stages of grief. For the record: first is Denial, second Anger, third Bargaining, fourth Depression, and finally Acceptance. Denial and Acceptance go with Persona 4, Anger with Persona 5, and Depression with Persona 3.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

So wait, does this mean the real life police know about the Cognitive world and can enter it whenever they want now?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I'm really glad Haru was a later addition and not stalking us around the city like Makoto.

I wish they'd introduce her earlier and have her social link be like Sojiro's, gated by plot.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How long were they working on this game again?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It's a shame Feinne stopped doing LPs.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I think the first LP I read was the Danganronpa one.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Don't forget Devil Survivor 2 and maybe Digital Devil Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

D1Sergo posted:

I think "Jaldabaoth" is technically correct, but its pronounced with a 'Y', it comes from Hebrew or something.

Presumably they changed it to "Yaldabaoth" in-game so people wouldn't get hung up on the pronunciation right at the climax.

Actually its kind of unclear which came first, I'm also seeing "ialdabaoth". Now that I think about it, it probably just depends on the language you're translating to.

I wonder if someone was thinking of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when they said that.