Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Wow, what an opening.

I think it's kind of refreshing that for a change, we're not the "ideal" hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The P4 animation summer vacation was really nice.

I am really looking forward to the free time sessions in P5.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Dojima's main problem was prioritising work over everything else, including his daughter.

But, he's nice to you and he takes care of you.

As for P5, everyone is like, "A criminal, behave yourself you good-for-nothing, not that it matters, because you're irredeemable"

But coffee man is our new guardian.

I'm sure he'll come around.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I'm sure Mr. I've got connections fabricated a story to save his drunk cracked nose.

In other words, he gave you an actual criminal record for assault, because 'the police does as I say!!!'

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The protagonist is so classy.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The 'ripped mophead' is the best physical description for Kamoshida.

Also the rumor mill is seriously insane.

If you hang around and listen to more people-rumors, like I did, someone even says, "he's killed multiple people!"

And I just talked to Ann once. Like once. How is that hitting on someone?

The spoiler is for the rumors, but I tagged it, just in case.

Also, I like Ryuji. He is our only friend in this cold, unwelcoming school.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 23, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

By the way, the blackboard in our classroom has doodles on it that change with the plot. Please show us them if you can.

I've seen a phantom thief doodle and a Akechi with sparkles doodle.

I'm sure I missed some doodles and that makes me sad.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ryuji is one of my favourite characters.

Also Kamoshida broke his leg.

I'm pretty sure at this point I wanted to smash Kamoshida's face in. And the game does it's absolute best to maintain this feeling.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hang around on the 1st floor of the school and Kamoshida will show up, remind you that you're getting expelled and of course, that you're trash.

The best part is that you can constantly imply that something is gonna happen which makes Kamoshida even angrier.

Anyway, since Kamoshida insists trash doesn't belong in Shujin Academy, let's toss him in the toxic waste container and make the world a better place!

It's do or die.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Single day runs of dungeon (or explore as much as the plot allows you in a single day) become easier as you get more party members and raise your confidant ranks to unlock the good stuff.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 6, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

All I'll say about your party is that they all have strengths and weaknesses. Since Joker is the leader and the guy with many personas it's his job to utilise his teammates properly.

It doesn't matter now anyway, because your four-man party is all you have in Kamoshida's castle.

Also, we should've let Sojiro name our cat.

I'm sad we can't.

Plus, the weapon shop guy and the doctor lady have really nice English voices.

By the way, what about the jam bread you get from school?

You get 20HP for 120 yen.

I think it's a little cost effective, but I forget how much the bandages are for.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

You can buy lots of jam bread.

Takemi's stuff is useful for emergencies but I was always poor. I needed money for everything.

Speaking of food, some of the limited edition stuff in this game is great. There's the fruit pack in Yongen's supermarket and the earth burger at big bang burger. They're really good.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I mean, it would have been cool, but the cat has a name and is his own person.

I know. But Sojiro sounded kinda sad. I actually picked the 'it was abandoned' option. Sojiro actually feels really bad for the cat then.

Also. Takemi totally knows we're lying. I mean, she doesn't buy our story at all and then says 'even highschool kids have it rough these days'. I bet people come to her for drugs all the time... wait, that's what we're doing. Oops.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

GuyUpNorth posted:

If it's not spoilery, could one of you post what Takemi actually says if you play it straight and go "we're going to rob a person of his Treasure with capital T"`? Also, Morgana picking his staff like a proper cat :3:

The game doesn't let you enter the clinic if you pick that option.

Basically the option Arist picked is the only way to enter the clinic.

Tell the truth just has Morgana say no one would believe them.

So basically you have to make something up.

Anyway, Arist, why did you not buy any weapons?

I'm asking because equipment eats all my funds and weapons are expensive so if you aren't buying them, please tell me the reason, I want to save money.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 9, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

What about guns?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, it's a crush. Morgana is never skeevy about it. Teddie did way worse in P4.

Teddie was terrible and awful with his flirting. It got on my nerves.

Morgana is better.

Yosuke saved you from being stuck with Teddie.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

Same deal. You're only ever using them to hit weaknesses and knock enemies down, so why bother spending tens of thousands of yen so you can do an extra 20 damage on knock down? The best guns don't come from Untouchable anyway, but I'm sure Arist will get into that much, much later.

I know about those features and stuff, and how to get the equipment with stats.

And what about armor? The stuff you find in palaces is useful, I guess, if you sacrifice time to get it washed.

Wait, does this mean you don't buy weapons and guns at all?

That's almost 80% of my money.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

And I rarely bought stuff from the clinic.

Hmm...

Maybe I'll actually adopt this new strategy on my playthrough.

And I'll see what Arist does with his funds and dungeon crawling and take tips from that.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

I'm going to spend it all on lotto tickets just like in real life :unsmigghh:

Do you ever hit it big in the Lotto? I just bought the first two then kinda forgot about it.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

There was a lotto scratch and place! I never found this. I thought I discovered everything.

Kamoshida just gets more and more annoying. Giving him grief is so much fun.

Also, why that recover all ailments oil?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why does this school have placenta drinks?

It sounds disgusting, really.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

It's something I just discovered while recording and it's really handy to have since we don't have any status cure skills yet and won't for a while. Full status cures are pretty rare.

It's so expensive. The back alley clinic also sells stuff that restores ailments, in three different forms.

I can't tell you which option is cheaper though because I was forever broke.

Ibblebibble posted:

It's a bit of an Asian skincare thing. They advertise goat placenta cream and pills back home in Malaysia a lot.

...oh, goat stuff.

I thought it was, you know, human placenta. Well, people eat insects too, so maybe I should just ignore it.

Starting a new game just feels great. I'm gonna play NG+ though, just to dodge that chalk that the teacher throws at you. Also, isn't the protagonist kinda slouching while in class? Like every time the teacher tells him to get up, he's resting his head on his elbow. The P4 protagonist sat straight. Maybe graphics hadn't evolved enough to let him slouch.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

School teacher politics exist everywhere, in almost every culture, in various forms.

P5 touches a lot of points very realistically, which I like.

GeneX posted:

Takemi is pretty great.

Now is also about when the game forgets that everyone hates you.

The people in school still haven't forgotten, and the library never forgets.

And when you answer correctly in class, everyone is shocked that a punk like you has a brain.

Gossip is the universal hobby that never ends.

Also, the people here hop on the latest bandwagon they find, which now is Kamoshida treating you like trash.

The game doesn't actually ever let you forget you have a 'criminal record' which is why I'm sad the blow to Mr. I'll SUE!! doesn't give him brain damage. The world will be a better place without people like him and Pervoshida.

Speaking of free actions, sometimes the tv has quiz shows. If you answer correctly the first time, you gain knowledge.

The TV can always be checked, it's also in the bottom floor in Leblanc.

It's actually really interesting, fact wise.

For example, eating at a restaurant without having money is fraud. Giving a machine fake money isn't fraud, it's theft.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The other thing about Kamoshida is that, like Mishima said, the Principal knows and I'm sure some other people knew too about the things he was doing, yet they're doing nothing about him. This tells you enough about the Principal that he is pretty bad.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Okay, so I honestly didn't know death arcana meant all that, but it's interesting.

Although Takemi has some rumors about her that makes 'death' seems to suit her, in the literal sense, since she's you know, the shady clinic doctor.

The actual meaning of the arcana suits her.

In the last game it was an old lady.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Montegoraon posted:

I'm pretty sure they'll still beg when there's multiple shadows remaining. It's just really rare.

If another enemy is frozen or something they might beg. I had it happen once.

Enemies begging is a great way to get personas because if you ask them to join your cause, it skips the whole question and answer part.

I mostly just ask held up enemies for money.

Oh and I followed the advice of not buying stuff from Untouchables.

And it worked really well. I had money, plus my combat efficiency was perfectly fine.

But I upgraded some of my equipment after a few palaces.

Mona and Panther are made of glass.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

Here's what it looks like when Ann is knocked down, for the record:

Wait... isn't this situation really bad?

Sleeping restores SP though.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The other thing about asking for money and items is that it ends the battle, so if you say, come across an enemy that takes a bunch of SP/ resources to beat, you can just knock them down, ask them for some cash and send them away. You still get some experience.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

A lot of people worse than Kamoshida exist in the real world.

Really, someone like Kamoshida existing isn't some far fetched theory.

He's a pretty realistic villain, even if the method we're using to deal with him is not so realistic.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

What, you get Joker, he's so cool.

The coolest guy in all of P5.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

The "aesthetics" thing was one of the more grating translation blunders for me. It sounds completely unnatural.

I liked it.

It just gives it a more fancy feel.

Also, Igor talks about all kinds of unnatural things.

Besides, you definitely understand him.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Eh, I wasn't able to do it in one day. Doing it in one day is really unfun.

Speaking of, Laundry give you pretty decent gear.

Unfortunately it costs time. That's a pretty big unfortunately and there are ways around it.

ChaosArgate posted:

What I don't understand about the armor washing thing is why you're not allowed to read a book while you wait.

This. I mean, really game. Really?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Deltasquid posted:

Every demon gets a descriptive name like "Heavenly Punisher" when you haven't fused/recruited them yet. I presume as a way to prevent you from googling their weaknesses or something? Or simply as a style choice the same way people are described as "Rude Boy" and such before you learn their names.

The Heavenly Punisher is actually one of the few things weak to darkness in this dungeon, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately he uses bless spells so using Arsene or Incubus is a huge gamble

Probably based on their appearance and manners.

You can always fuse a persona that knows curse skills and doesn't have bless weakness.

Actually, a persona with bless resistance is better.

I called it quits after the gym boss.

Stuff that is not a boss goes down faster than the mini-bosses.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

frajaq posted:

Just to be clear, is there any in-game bonus/motivation for doing the entire dungeon in one day or is it a personal challenge thing?

More time to do stuff.

Granted if you're smart, you can get away with being inefficient.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I never really bothered much.

But there are some enemies who actually use this strategy and I wiped to one of them. Painful lesson.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Look guys, nobody 'dies' when they get knocked out, so getting a gameover with the MC 'dying' is stupid. It doesn't matter what your logic is, you aren't dead. You can still be healed. Even after battle, you're up and walking just fine with 1 HP.

I am incredibly salty against this mechanic, especially in a game with instant death skills.

And I've had enemies spam Joker with those skills.

...hats off to you for completing the palace in one day though.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

For all we know, it could be there for strictly gameplay purposes, just to make the player angry. Because it's ATLUS.

In fact, that is probably what it is. They could easily remove it, but why should they, when it causes grief.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I actually liked Ryuji's calling card. It suited Kamoshida perfectly.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Morgana obviously turned back into normal cat just so he wouldn't have to run :( Lazy thing.

Sojiro is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Anyway, congrats on beating the palace in the least number of days.

And now for the daily life part and our confidants.

The best part :D