Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ann's reasoning is why Kamoshida's change of heart feels so satisfying. After all of the stuff he did that literally made you want to beat him to a bloody pulp, the conclusion is incredibly satisfying.

I think "all of a sudden" is in quotes because Sae's basically labelling it.

You know, she doesn't believe it, and things that happen all of a sudden without any reason are pretty wierd, so she's just putting quotes around them.

From how I see it she's saying: People say it happened "all of a sudden" but that's just inconceivable. There must be an explanation.

Also, making stacks of cash without work is just screaming scam. Loudly. The game even calls him a menacing man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I got this impression that Sae knew who was involved (mostly), and she just wanted to wheedle a confession out of you.

On the topic of Mishima, his confidant abilities are great, and levelling him up is easy.

And on his personality, well... later.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ayana posted:

Well, in the original card the moon itself is the focus. Both of the dogs are looking at it, and the lobster is pointed at it. Here, the lobster has pulled the dude into its pool and is going to town on him, and the dogs are clearly laughing at the poor bastard. The Moon itself, which symbolizes the way forward, is completely ignored.

Which do you think is Mishima?

The unlucky dude, which he is, or the poor ignored moon, which he also is?

And that principle is so lazy, delegating his work to someone else.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Mementos will clear (by which I mean, explore) by itself if you just do all the requests you get.

I just aimed for those, so I never really 'explored' it for the sake of exploration. Also, I usually waited till I had gathered a bunch of requests.

I don't like the theme.

And of course, if you hang around on one floor for too long, bad things happen.

But actually, the palaces are all so good, Mementos being a random floor dungeon annoys me. And I can't sneak in that huge cat bus.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 27, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Tora is awesome.

Best confidant.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Rangpur posted:

Your rank in exams derives from # of correct answers, plus your Knowledge stat. The game won't give you too much grief if you answer all the questions correctly, but without your knowledge at a certain rank you won't get any extra bonuses either.

Well, we probably didn't fail. Maybe.

That being said, I think Rank 4 and 5 in knowledge gets you the good stuff... if you actually need the 'good stuff' by that point.

About the requests in mementos, I actually did Mishima's first one early enough, on a day no confidant was around to hang out with me. It takes a while to accumulate that huge list of requests and since Mishima is the website guy, he gives you a new request pretty soon.

And then I put him on the back burner till I had a basically huge list of requests. Basically put him off till I unlocked a mementos request I really wanted to do.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Junpei posted:

Back on the topic of Kamoshida, I found this image that... well, just see for yourself.

And after that, we decided we really needed a coach to help us write calling cards.

Except... Joker isn't the one who wrote the calling card, in the actual game, so Sae still doesn't make sense.

But we definitely put the Sun's speech skills to good use.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Yusuke you jerk, clearly playing favourites. Rude.

Whatever.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Stephen9001 posted:

Let me guess, it involves Anne modeling in a bikini or something?

Your vision is too narrow. Yusuke disapproves. Please wait for the next update.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Rawkking posted:

Something we miss in the SSLP format is the hilarious difference in Yusuke's voice between greeting Ann ("You came!") and Makuu/Ryujii ("You really came."). He doesn't have any interest whatsoever in us and he makes no effort to conceal it.

I'm pretty sure I went 'wow rude!' at that point. And he's like that even when he was giving us our tickets. I'm happy he actually you know, gave us something.

Of course, Yusuke giving Ann preference makes Morgana a little more annoying.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

If you pet softly, the cat likes it. Naturally.

I haven't picked the pet forcefully option, but button mashing is best.

Anyway.

Madarame at least acts like a decent guy, unlike our former P.E teacher. It doesn't make him better, but at least he's not being rage inducing in his every appearance. He's a pretty bad guy of course.

And his excuse and handling of the stuff we accused him off wasn't bad at all. Good acting, old man.

Yusuke's voice acting whenever he notices us with Ann is great. I love it.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I like Yusuke.

But this is definitely a really uncomfortable and weird scene.

Of course, it's more accurate to say Yusuke grew on me. I didn't really like him all that much because he's doing a lot of unacceptable stuff. Like stalking, blackmailing us to get Ann to model for him.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

So how is this blackmail supposed to work? It's not like he can accuse you of trespassing now.

The answer to that will be found... in the next update.

But with the information we have, I'm sure we're just trying to fix Madarame and hoping everything else will get fixed by itself.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

GuyUpNorth posted:

I believe more or less so. Then it leads to no university, no employment and immense shaming from everyone because failure, which leads to (honorable) suicide or withdrawing from society. Japanese government has tried to erase the first option with centuries of history behind it.

That's sad. I mean, if some guy was looking to redeem himself, he'd be out of options.

Do you really need a highschool degree to get into uni? What if you get expelled for some reason?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

There is that starry eyed kid that is totally pretending to be us, this rock guy, the shady homeless guy, the two housewives, the sloshed drunk, the two kids, the girl and her mom and old dog, the old people in the daytime in Yongen (where the drunk is), this sun god worshipper, the tv reporters, the foreign barker, those pickup artists...

And that's just from the locations that we have unlocked. There are a lot more in school, including a faculty member and a student (in the courtyard). It takes a lot of time to track them all down, plus most of their dialogue gets updated with the plot, like when you first find a palace, then send a calling card and so on.

It's great.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The first words we hear Ryuji say are 'Screw that pervy teacher', and then he goes on to ask us if we're going to tell on him to Kamoshida, and how he thinks the school is his castle, and since we don't know our crappy PE teacher, because we be the new kid, he also asks us if we're going to Shujin.

Normal people don't have access to metaverse apps.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Montegoraon posted:

Ryuji says various things in that scene, and Maaku parrots some of them back, and they just happen to be the correct words to trigger the app. You do need an actual name, so 'pervert teacher' isn't valid. But you say 'Kamoshida' in either of your first responses to Ryuji. Although in the third response, one of the two options doesn't include the word 'Shujin!' What a gag that would have been, if you chose that option and the game ended right then and there.

It's not necessary that Maaku says the words. Basically one app is enough for all. I mean we did suck Ann in with us and she didn't have the app at that point.

Plus the second time we go to the castle, Ryuji uses our app on our phone, so you can just say it was Ryuji who landed us in the palace.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Isn't the bathroom shadow punishment for you going into the women's toilet... even if you're inside a palace.

I mean, it's a female shadow inside. She's probably really unhappy a bunch of thieves broke into the restrooms.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like the 'phantom thieves' angle is bet let down a bit by the fact that narrative/gameplay conventions mean that the cast is always going to get caught and have to resort to a beatdown. In the end you're not changing people by cleverness and stealth, but by beating the poo poo out of them.

True, but the game does reward you for being stealthy and ambushing stuff.

And along the same lines we do in fact "steal the treasure" just like how we stole Kamoshida's treasure.

We're just terrible phantom thieves. Beating up people isn't even the worst of our not-stealthy behaviour. What about our real life behaviour in which we're all like, "it's a secret but WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES" by checking out the phansite always, discussing freely about changing people's hearts where any eavesdropping random guy can hear us, and generally being loud. Like Ryuji level loud.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Finishing the fight before you get access to the paint special attack is easy if you have enough damage. For my part, I had Ann instead of Morgana. I didn't have a dedicated healer, but it went fine, which items and stuff. I was also at a higher level because I had Ryuji and Yusuke learn their multi target attacks first.

But to be honest, I think this fight is kinda difficult. Having 4 attacks thrown at you in a boss battle isn't all that simple.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 6, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Montegoraon posted:

I'm pretty sure you can already have a persona with Divine Grace at this point. That makes your MC by far the best healer on your team (along with the best everything else he already was).

e: Also, in the Japanese version Madara-megido was just Megido, but spelled with fancy kanji instead of katakana.

R.I.P Joker's SP.

...my main character is many things, but healer just seems a waste when any character can chuck out a healing item.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Money does have a lot of uses in game, but Joker was primarily a debuffer / buffer.

Your party members all learn debuffs and buffs but they're spread out, so having one person have the useful ones made a big difference. Rakunda and tarukaja grants you a lot more mileage and you can just do more with less actions. In the same way, tarunda and buffing your defenses makes healing a lot less needed.

But you know, outright nulling physicals and gun fire is the best, because some of the nastiest moves are those multi hit physical moves.

Of course, Joker is always the guy covering up the teams weaknesses. And always the guy who runs faster out of SP because in an ambush he almost always goes first.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Look, even hearing the lines of the Cake Knight rises is hilarious and ridiculous.

"Cake or pie... people show you their true taste!"

And "You're just a psychopath who bakes for money!"

It's amazing.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

The worst thing about The Cake Knight Rises is that the psychopath is right, pie is awesome and better than cake

Cake is better.

:colbert:

Unless it's apple pie, because apple pie is great.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

idhrendur posted:

Meanwhile I'm distracted by the fact that the chess moves on the TV are completely nonsensical. That's not chess notation, and even if it were the board is 8x8, so 9-5 would be off the board entirely.

Were they not playing shogi?

Not that I know anything about shogi. Or chess.

We had class teachers. They were mostly in charge of attendance and stuff. And other things included chaperoning us on field trips, organising our part in any school events.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I'm just gonna say, Kawakami's "cute maid" face is kind of creepy. It really is.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Eh, I picked the tea part.

And I also picked the 'what does it look like to you'.

Ann panics either way.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

DeafNote posted:

I just used a certain daily feature of the Velvet Room on my dedicated Confuseboost/pulinpa Persona

I don't know why I didn't try something so obvious. I always made new ones, when an easier option existed.

And yes, the confuse boss trick. I just tried over and over.

Also, physical attacks are a pain, so this is why a persona that's immune to physicals is so handy. It also means those enemies that rely purely on physical attacks can't touch your MC while he can do whatever.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

If the reaper trick is what I think it is we're way off from that being relevant.

You can tell us the details yourself when the requirements are met.

You'll be explaining the effects of all weather effects on mementos right? So far we've just seen pollen, right?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Saying the phantom thieves should be tried in court, Akechi just hits where it hurts.

Also, this let's talk about phantom thieves wherever we go is gonna bite us back one day.

Clearly this current group isn't known for its subtlety.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Mental health conditions don't seem much different from shadows and personas actually.

For starters, back with Kamoshida Mona did tell us messing around in a person's mental world / messing with their shadow can trigger a mental breakdown. So we can cause illnesses... but of course this doesn't mean we can cure them. But well, it might be possible since it is your mind and inner self.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hearing Joker's story is incredibly rage inducing.

So messed up.

And Ryuji's is just sad.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Night10194 posted:

I do not think it is specifically illegal to break into the collective unconsciousness and beat the evil out of a dude's soul.

Well, it's not wrong.

But we're on the wrong side of the law. Basically if we were ever tried in court like Akechi said, they would say we were wrong, especially in a messed up crappy world like this.

Also I'm sure it's the end that bothers people because they don't know how it happens.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Welp, game over.

But anyway, Akechi is... mean. For a guy the game names 'pleasant boy' his first few interactions with other characters are kind of unpleasant.

"Phantom thieves - try them in court!"

"Makoto - man, you're so easy to push around."

Rude.

Ryuji's loudness is loud and I'm surprised it took us this long to get caught.

But we could have weaseled our way out of it if we were a compulsive liar. After all, there is no proof tying us to the crime and naturally the police can't proove there is another world inside someone's heart. Those places are gone too.

I guess the situation isn't drastic enough or maybe we're all a bunch of idiots. You'd think we'd be street smart but no.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe that Makoto Niijima, the master of stealth, would deliver false information to the party.

Watch it turn out that we've taken down the entirely wrong criminal organization.

They are doing phishing scams, but this guy we tracked was part of a different scam.

They're the mafia. Their list of crimes probably goes on and on. It is organised crime.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Do not underestimate Mishima's information network.

The quests he gives you include all kinds of targets.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

AradoBalanga posted:

So basically by the end of this game, Mishma's going to become a goofier version of Oracle?

He is and will always be the guy who is always on the internet.

Also, I think coffee and curry can be used in battle? I might be remembering wrong though, but I think you actually can use them in a fight.

I wish we could kick rear end back but sadly in the real world we are real and cannot do amazing things.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I wanted to save Ryuji from this.

But oh well.

Nice job with the portraits, Arist.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ryuji is one of my favourite characters.

And for the record, he does apologise - eventually. At the end of that he says 'my bad'.

He realises it was wrong.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

And let's not forget him trying to force Ann into stripping for Yusuke, even if said stripping never really happened. Yosuke treated Chie and Yukiko similarly in P4 and it was bad then too.

You act like it was just Ryuji, when actually it was Joker, Ryuji and Morgana who decided to use Ann as bait. They were all on board the idea.

Chie's personality is awful in the beginning and the times where the girls treat you badly is equally bad and cringeworthy. Sure Yosuke and his pervertedness sucks big time, and operation babe hunt is a pain to read, but it's not like the girls are any better. The writers probably wrote these scenes to be funny, and they are not funny but just plain offensive.

Like Mystery Food X and hot springs scenes.

Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Teddie - all of them have scenes where they suck! Yukiko sucks slightly less, but she still has scenes where she's awful.

That being said, the guys and girls in P5 treat each other much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Oh my god, Kaneshiro is so powerful. If only we also wielded this strange rectangular sorcery that allows one to capture moments and freeze them in time. Perhaps we could then counter his wizardry with an account of the events from our perspective, with some goon holding the Student Council President hostage face-down against the floor in frame and him doing nothing to stop it.

Unfortunately, we cannot compete with Kaneshiro's genius-level intellect.

But they have guns? I mean, bad idea provoking them further.