Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The one thing that disappoints me about Arsene's awakening is that it doesn't have Maaku whispering the traditional "Per... so... na..." as the one thing he says out loud all game. Other than that it fuckin' rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Junpei posted:

Anne isn't good? One of her endgame support skills (you know the one). Your argument is invalid.
Jesus Christ can you go one thread without popping in after two updates and screaming "LOOK LOOK I KNOW ABOUT THE ENDGAME!!!!!!!"

I'm with the OP on Ann, her costume just feels out of place both because it's oversexualized for no reason and because (unlike every other party member) she actively seems to dislike it, as we see here. I guess you could make the argument that Ann sees the "spirit of rebellion" as a sexy femme fatale, but I feel like that could have been portrayed as something other than a skin-tight bodysuit with a boob window. Also there's a tail. Why is there a tail?

Gameplay-wise her speed isn't great, so most battles are over by the time you get to her. It also doesn't help that she basically has no options for damage outside of fire, so she's completely neutered if an enemy blocks it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Arist posted:

The unlocked chests are definitely set, the locked ones might be random but I doubt it. I have no idea what's in any of the other locked chests for the record.
Locked chests are definitely set as well.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

There's always the unlucky Hama or Mudo spell taking Joker out to worry about.
For some reason I feel like P5 is really really biased against targeting Joker with instant death. There are plenty of rear end in a top hat regular enemies with Hama and Mudo, but I don't recall Joker getting targeted once by one in my entire run through the game. I'd say I was just lucky, but that feels like way too long to be a coincidence.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Personally I'll take Morgana's little-kid crush on Ann over Teddie's creeping on everything female any day.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Sojiro's smug little grin is absolutely perfect for this line, I love it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Just FYI to the thread, you probably shouldn't suggest names that start with "The" because the script has multiple instances of stuff like "that's worthy of the The Phantoms name!"

I was going to suggest JusticeLeague because of the Joker and Maaku, but that's one letter too long. If there's any way to shorten it without looking stupid, that's my vote.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Rainuwastaken posted:

Lucky Punch is absolutely bananas and got me so many shadow negotiations without even trying for elements. Once I realized how ridiculous it was, Morgana became my best friend for the whole game.
Yeah, for those who haven't played, the critical rate of Lucky Punch is loving ludicrous. In a late-game area I once had Morgana using it every time his turn came around and he achieved a streak of 14 criticals in a row.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Rainuwastaken posted:

I could have sworn the game already let Ryuji drop the F-bomb, but I guess I was mistaken? His love affair with "eff" is pretty adorable, though.

Hella.
There's a couple of instances in the game where his actor says things like "what the fu--" but the transcript in game just says "what the--". I don't recall if he ever actually says "gently caress" in-game.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

The audio for "The Cake Knight Rises" has to be heard to be believed. The voice actors are going full ham on every sentence and it's incredible :allears:

Really all of the movies have some of the best voice work in the game, but I don't think anything tops "You're just a psychopath who bakes cakes for money!" in a terrible raspy Batman voice.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

idhrendur posted:

Meanwhile I'm distracted by the fact that the chess moves on the TV are completely nonsensical. That's not chess notation, and even if it were the board is 8x8, so 9-5 would be off the board entirely.
They're playing shogi, the telop calls the speaker a "pro shogi player". Shogi is 9x9.

Really easy to miss though. When are you ever looking at the telops anyway?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Junpei posted:

Actually, I think Sojiro leaves early the days you invite Kawakami over.

And why does everyone seem so... weirded out? It's not like Maaku invited Kawakami over to... *ahem* 'handle a broom', so to say. The most intimate thing that happens in this link is the rank 10 perk, :words:
Jesus loving christ, dude.

1. What's happening here essentially amounts to blackmail. Maaku may be paying money, but he now has the power to ruin Kawakami's life at any time if she doesn't do things for him.
2. Even if nothing explicitly sexual happens, Maaku is paying a woman twice his age to play-act being entirely submissive to him.
3. And oh yeah, there's the loving sexual undertones with a woman twice his age, whom he sees nearly every day in a public setting, and who already has a professional relationship with him that isn't supposed to be hosed with.

Do not even try to defend this. Also, stop posting spoilers.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Rogue 7 posted:

Ryuji's never been anything but cool towards Ann

Arist posted:

Ryuji and Morgana try to… ugh.
And let's not forget him trying to force Ann into stripping for Yusuke, even if said stripping never really happened. Yosuke treated Chie and Yukiko similarly in P4 and it was bad then too.

As an aside, Arist, is there any chance you could maybe break up the OP's table of contents a bit, maybe by dungeon? Finding a specific event is hard as poo poo.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Sae is almost certainly stressed to the breaking point by her job, but her outburst basically comes out of nowhere. They could have at least had Sae brushing Makoto off once or twice in that scene before finally snapping because Makoto won't stop talking about the Phantom Thieves.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

bman in 2288 posted:

Also, looking at that blackmail picture, it's very obvious that the kids are out of place there. Are you telling me that no one is going to question if the gang was taken here against their will?
The pictures are the biggest concern for Maaku, really. He's got a criminal record and society already hates him, so nobody's likely to listen to anything he has to say and at the very least it looks like he's violating his probation. Makoto would also likely have some trouble since she's depending on letters of recommendation to get into good schools. Even if she could explain the circumstances, it'd probably be enough to make the school staff think twice about recommending her, and that'd be enough to torpedo her future academic career.

The rest of the gang could maybe wiggle out of it, but Maaku especially is absolutely hosed if the pictures come out.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Stroth posted:

Really? You're just going to completely ignore the fact that there's been a dude sitting right behind Maaku all this time? Where he can see him talking with Morgana and reading all his #Millenials texts every day? That man is the true hero of this game.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I think people need to remember several things about Sae:

1. She is a woman in an extremely patriarchal society, so she already needs to be five times as good as the men around her to get and keep her job
2. She is a woman in a job where women are basically unheard of, which tends to make the men in her job feel extremely fragile and search for ways to :airquote: legitimately :airquote: get rid of her
3. She is in a job where her ability to take better cases and prove her worth is limited by her ability to solve the cases already in front of her, and in the eyes of her bosses (who already don't like her and would love to see her fail) she basically just faceplanted
4. She is in a job where if you aren't getting promoted, you're getting fired
5. She has a dependent going through an extremely stressful and important part of her life which she does not want to disrupt, and she lives in a society where she cannot simply "get another job" if she loses hers

Now, does that justify going off on Makoto like she has? I don't think so, but anyone looking at Sae and thinking "ugh she just wants a promotion, why doesn't she just wait for another chance :rolleyes:" does not appreciate the situation that she is in.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Omobono posted:

Except that my point was that with Kaneshiro turned witness she now has an even better opportunity for promotion than what she had before our intervention. If she doesn't recognize it she's an idiot and if her boss stole her investigation (and slam dunk promotion opportunity) to give it to his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate that's not our fault.
How's she going to do that, though? The only way she gets to investigate Kaneshiro and his bosses more is if her bosses let her, and they've just been handed an excuse on a silver platter to take her off the case. It's not like she can just go and investigate Kaneshiro's mafia on her own time. If her bosses tell her to investigate someone else and she ignores them, she gets fired.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Kal-L posted:

I really hope that the intent in the original was that the guy was taking money from the fund, because if not it makes Ohya a pretty lovely person.

How dare he support those fleeing from war and poverty! Using secret funds taken from my taxes! MJGA!
The use of the term "slush fund" explicitly means the money is being used illicitly somehow.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Akechi talking about his mother is seriously one of the most :wtc: events in the entire Persona series. It's just so completely out of left field.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Junpei posted:

...well, they can't hire bloody teenagers to animate this!

And why is everyone treating this beach scene as inherently new to anime? A small beach chapter with some mild fanservice has been around for a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG while.
Nobody's treating it as "new to anime". Who even said anything about it being new to anime? I'm having serious trouble figuring out what made you think this was a good angle from which to defend this poo poo.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

it's also way more harmless than y'all are making it out to be

it's a butt, chill the gently caress out
In the grand scheme of things I agree, it doesn't mean much, but if you keep letting people get away with little poo poo, then they'll eventually move on to trying bigger things.

There's also more depressing attitudes towards women coming up later in the trip but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So the boys spend their day at the beach cornering women who aren't interested in them, and then try to push them into sexual encounters. This is played as being cool and good and a perfectly normal thing to do.

Then the boys are cornered by two men that they aren't interested in who try to push them into sexual encounters. This is played as being horrifying.

It's almost as though there is some connection between the above two things that the boys should learn :thunk:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 6, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

HIJK posted:

2) These animated cutscenes and other sexualized content in P5 can be dumb and silly but I feel like it's important to understand that they are a Japanese product from Japan and frankly while I'm not thrilled with them I think this thread's reaction to them is seriously over the top and it's because patriarchial Westerners keep projecting their patriarchial imperialist Western values on Japan which is Gross (tm) so stop doing that
I think it's more important to understand that P5 objectifies and oversexualizes women and that is a Bad Thing, regardless of its country of origin or the richness of that country's culture.

Also there's some serious irony in describing people who think women should be treated like human beings as "patriarchal".

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

HIJK posted:

An animated teenager goggling at other animated teenagers in swimsuits is seriously harmless
Absolutely! And if that were the extent of it I would have no problem. I'm not suggesting that it's misogynistic to show a woman wearing a swimsuit at the beach. It's the totally unnecessary rear end shots and focus on the girls' bodies that I have an issue with. Is it a minor thing in the grand scheme of the game? Yes, but as I've said before in the thread, if you let people get away with minor poo poo, they'll eventually move onto bigger things.

HIJK posted:

it does not hurt women to be noticed by their peers. It isn't dehumanizing and it's pretty weird to describe it that way, especially during the beach scene in question where Ann is completely chilled out about it and teases her friend.
I don't want to completely derail the thread here, but I think you would be really loving surprised at how often women have to be "completely chilled out about it" when men give them attention they don't want, because (at least American) society has essentially decreed that responding any other way makes you a bitch. But I can't know Ann's inner thoughts without psychoanalyzing an inconsistently-characterized cartoon girl, so I'm not going to take that road any further.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Haifisch posted:

I can give you one big reason this stuff comes up more in discussions about Persona than other Japanese games/etc: The missteps on stuff like homophobic 'jokes' & how women are treated stand out a lot more in a series whose themes revolve around accepting your true self, and in the case of P5, rebelling against societal rules and norms that hurt the little guy.

Like, resurgam went overboard, but people do have a point that this game gets tone deaf in a few spots.
It's also that this isn't an isolated incident--modern Persona has a history of inserting scenes that serve no purpose other than to sexualize women and display them in skimpy clothing. P3 had Operation Babe Hunt, a scene with the girls in a hot spring bath, and some weird-rear end scenes where you could literally peep on female party members in their rooms. P4 had Yosuke creepily buying swimsuits for the girls on the camping trip, a beauty pageant (with a swimsuit portion, no less), and another hot springs scene. And this thread has already pointed out some of the skeevier poo poo this game gets up to.

People really seem to be harping on how minor the beach animated scene is, and in all honesty, I don't disagree! If that had been the only instance of skeeviness in this game, I probably would have just rolled my eyes and moved on. But it's part of a pattern that Persona just never seems to have any desire to shake, and it's all the more noticeable because this very game contains an entire Palace filled to the brim with sexualized images of women that are used in a thematically appropriate way. Persona's developers have shown that they can treat women as more than just sex objects, so when they don't, the only possible conclusion is that they're choosing not to.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

resurgam40 posted:

The biggest problem I have with the Persona series is not really the plotlines or the characters, but the interaction between these characters, or more appropriately the lack thereof. In all 3 (main) games, you have disparate individuals who are drawn together by the weird poo poo going on and become fast friends by the end of the game, but it seems I'm left with a question every time: when did that happen, exactly?
While I'll never say that a video game is an example of great writing, I did feel like P4 pulled this off somewhat with events like the camping trip, the school festival (skeevy moments aside), and when the party collectively babysits Nanako over the summer. Those were times when the characters had a chance to just act like actual friends and not have to worry about the grand overarching plot of the game. P5 tried to repeat this with the post-Palace celebrations, the beach trip, and Hawaii, but all of it is undercut because the party can't shut the gently caress up about being the Phantom Thieves for a nanosecond. Everything has to tie back to the Phantom Thieves no matter where the party is, and it's really grating after awhile.

But you're right that it'd be nice if we could get more minor run-ins with other characters to cement that these teenagers are friends who sometimes just hang out and do teenager things. One thing that I'd really like to see in P6 (in 2025 or thereabouts) would be having SLink characters show up throughout the world doing their own thing, and if you run into them they could add a bonus of SLink points to whatever activity they're doing. Maybe you go to the cafeteria on a rainy day to study, and on some days Makoto is there with the same idea, and you can choose to study together to get both the usual Knowledge points and an SLink point for Makoto. Maybe Yusuke turns out to have taken a job at the flower shop to deal with his constant broke-ness and you can get points with him if you work there on the same days. You wouldn't be able to advance the links this way, but it would help show that these characters exist for reasons other than the MC helping them through their issues.

The other thing that would be really helpful in this regard would be to be able to run into the characters hanging out with each other, in contexts where you can pass by and say hi but can't actually join in. Maybe Ann and Makoto are out clothes shopping, or you run into Yusuke in the city trying to teach Ann how to draw. Maybe one of the characters shows up at Leblanc in the evening to chat with Futaba, but can't stick around because they have another errand in the area. Little things like that would help flesh out the characters and show that they have relationships outside of the MC, and make it much more believable when your party members decide that they're willing to die for each other when the plot gets dramatic.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 22, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What did Mishima ever do to you? :(
Well, he's annoying as poo poo, pesters Maaku constantly, refuses to go away no matter how much Maaku makes it clear he doesn't want him there, and has spent the past several months obsessing over a website he created ostensibly for us, but which he has explicitly stated he is hoping to use to get famous and pick up girls. He also, as demonstrated in the previous update, is incapable of talking to girls without his mind immediately jumping to "does she do porn?"

There's a line between "awkward but sympathetic" and "jesus christ get away from me you creep" and Mishima crossed it a long time ago. I don't get why anyone thinks we should have any sympathy for him.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Pretty sure Decarabia is still weak to Phys as a Persona. It's not to hard to get a Null/Repel Phys skill on it from prison or fusion, though.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT: Attempt #1

gmq posted:

Not Futaba: she's your sister, you sicko.

DON'T DATE YOUR LITTLE SISTER.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

You actually don't need to button mash to get mileage out of Bullet Hail. You can just hold the button down. :eng101:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

The game's position is less All Cops Are Bad and more All lovely AdultsTM Who Abuse Their Authority Are Bad.
I believe what you meant to say was Rotten Adults.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Clarste posted:

Given that the treasure is in the manager's office, she see herself as "the house," doesn't she?
Almost certainly. I can't remember if it's come up before in the thread, but from what little I understand of the Japanese justice system, Japanese prosecutors basically do not lose. They have something like a 99% conviction rate when their cases go to court, both because of societal pressure and the way that Japanese courts are set up. A casino is a reflection of that system: it's a place where theoretically anyone can come in and win because chance (justice) is supposed to be impartial, but in reality the people running it (Sae and the prosecutors) have set up the system so that they always win in the end. Sure, every now and again one guy in 10,000 walks away with big bucks, but the casino owners are going to make sure that those other 9,999 are fleeced for as much money as possible.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Kevos Setzer posted:

The traitor is clearly Futaba. That's why she's so wiped out.

Is the Judgement Rank 10 skill obscured in the game like that? Or is the real description just that meta? Because it feels like Maaku dodged a bullet here perhaps literally.
It's actually "?????????????????" in game.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

The one thing I hate about this twist is that the game signposts it super-hard. I don't even mean in the sense that "well obviously Maaku wasn't gonna die, we wouldn't have much of a game otherwise". The problem is the skipped-over (by the game, not the LP) scenes of Maaku and Morgana talking about pancakes, and the two of them talking with Futaba about their plan. Arist just kind of papered over it by having LP-Maaku think "my memory is hazy", but in-game, when you get to those scenes in the lead-up to Sae's Palace, the game does this long, cloudy fade-to-white (with sound, even) that literally never appears anywhere else in the story. It's impossible not to notice, and it's basically like the game elbowing you in the ribs and saying "huh, sure is weird what just happened there, huh?? bet you'd like to know what's going on there, huh???"

It might have worked better if there were more "hazy memory" moments over the course of the game, but the way the game does it makes it stick out like a sore thumb.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Robindaybird posted:

like at least the game didn't outright lie to us, but it'd be nice if we got more hints of them playing a counter plan, but again it's clear this game has gone through a lot of rewrites.
I wonder how well it would have worked if the game hinted that Maaku was slowly remembering the plan during one of the interrogation scenes. Like maybe after Futaba or Okumura's palace you could have something like...

quote:

So tell me about <whatever>.
(Wait... there was something... something important I needed to remember...)
Are you listening?
("Pancakes." Pancakes? Why--)
*bangs table* Hey! I'm talking to you here!
*jumps* (I feel like I almost had it, but it's no use...)

It's the sort of thing that would get found and unravel the plot instantly in a screenshot LP format, but in-game you could have easily forgotten about the scene with Akechi's slip by then.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Shido is the rapist guy Maaku beat up in the beginning right?
I don't think the game has "officially" "confirmed" it yet, but yeah, it's him, and the game has gone out of its way to "hint" at this. Maaku has just been too stupid to realize it in-game, despite running into Shido in person on at least one occasion.

From way back on 5/5 (with Arist's commentary):

quote:

I WONDER IF IT COULD BE THE SAME PERSON

NAH

edit: beaten, but I have pictures!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Materant posted:

Considering how high-profile this has been compared to 4 and the events of both Arena games pretty much every Persona-user in Japan has got to be chomping at the bit to be let loose.

Oh, and Adachi is probably laughing his rear end off from however close they let him be to a TV.
Would they, though? I don't think there's any evidence to outside Persona-users that Personas are involved here. Besides, they don't know about the Metaverse, and even if they did, without the Nav they wouldn't be able to get in on any of the action.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Malah posted:

Where the gently caress are Akechi's parents? His mother needs to smack the stupid out of him.
How could we forget that totally-not-a-complete-non-sequitur from when Akechi showed up at Leblanc?

quote:

...Did I bother you? My apologies. Apparently, my mother was in a relationship with some low-life of a man…
She was swiftly discarded when he learned she was pregnant… That despair would lead to her death.
Thanks to him, I was passed from foster home to foster home. But, I do quite well by myself these days.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Malah posted:

It's not even a battleship! What is this weak poo poo!? WHY?
Shido's a weak villain but I actually think the reasoning for his Palace being a ship is pretty good. We'll hear more about it once we start exploring, but suffice it to say it's based on more than the fact that he used the word "steer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

The Cleaner isn't a palette swap of Fuu-Ki, that's just a regular Ongyo-Ki. IIRC you can make him from a special fusion of the other three -Kis, though I might be mixing that up with another SMT game.