Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Midnight Voyager posted:

So why did we try to make sure Lucatiel stayed alive? Does her dying in a boss fight keep you from being able to use her later or something?

advancing an NPC arc generally requires to share a win together, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

scamtank posted:

advancing an NPC arc generally requires to share a win together, yeah

Weren't they supposed to summon Lucatiel to The Rotten boss fight? I think they may have 'failed' her questline.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You don't need to have her in all of the bossfights, just two or three of them. The Rotten is kind of a bad one to have her in too, she had a habit of bursting into flames for me and while she's beefy the Rotten hits really hard.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

e: well, there it is

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Balqis posted:

Hey, game audio is desynced.
Premiere had a weird error that I've seen a few times in the past; I think it caused my game audio track to de-sync. I'll probably try a re-encode in the morning or somethin'.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh hey, that was my skeleton message you rated. Thanks!

It's my most popular one, now sitting at ten points. :v:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The slimy blob things you were talking about makes a triumphant return in New Game+. They lead to some awesome "kite them around the elevator" action although summoning Lucatiel and then running past everything worked just fine.

Anyway, I hadn't played DS II when Geop started the former thread, but now I have. I find it amazing how this game both manages to greatly improve upon Dark Souls and at the same time mess up a lot of what made it great. It's not unusual that a sequel both manages to improve on thing and make other things worse, but it rarely happens to the degree of Dark Souls 2.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The message mentioning to attack the corner of the room wasn't lying. You just swung at all of the walls except where the message was explicitly pointing at. There's something interesting to learn about it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

I find it amazing how this game both manages to greatly improve upon Dark Souls and at the same time mess up a lot of what made it great.

ah, yes, the act of expanding a complex system that you can't identify all the moving parts in with mainly what you think is rad, including the "it's hard!!!!" meme

kaizopathic romhackism

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Good on ya, double shields man.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always thought the bug was a reference to the worst boss in Dark Souls 1?

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

Dynas: Tea warrior
The bug is in fact a callback to the boss you're thinking of. That fact becomes more obvious on a NG+ run.

I really dig Lost Bastille because it's likely the player's first encounter with a Lord Soul boss and the encounter is pretty forgiving. It's also a short enough zone that getting summoned and successfully clearing the area is fairly probable.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Interestingly, The Lost Sinner used be more brutal. They toned her down after realizing that this is gonna be an early game boss for quite a few people.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plus there's really nothing to lose since it's yet another big guy/gal with a big weapon. I understand they were going for a theme with the four bosses at primal bonfires but this is really the one they could've afforded to be more imaginative with.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, tanking that dudesplosion by drinking juice was great. And its fun to bring co op to a boss and just give them a thrashing sometimes.

Also there it looked like there wasn't mush room in that chest but I guess I was wrong.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fixed the desync.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Holy hell did they soften up Sinner's Rise. I'll take ten Flexile Sentries over what was there before.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

magikid posted:

Holy hell did they soften up Sinner's Rise. I'll take ten Flexile Sentries over what was there before.

Yeah, they toned down a lot of the shittier encounters like the bottom of Sinner's Rise for example. Which is why I never got why people complain about SotFS being Kaizo Dark Souls II, it's just not true.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, they toned down a lot of the shittier encounters like the bottom of Sinner's Rise for example. Which is why I never got why people complain about SotFS being Kaizo Dark Souls II, it's just not true.
I can think of at least two locations they made much, much more annyoing just for the hell of it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Some areas got a lot easier, some got a lot harder. If there's any underlying philosophy to it I can't figure it out.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Anime Reference posted:

Some areas got a lot easier, some got a lot harder. If there's any underlying philosophy to it I can't figure it out.

Screwing with the expectation of the players is a kind of philosophy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

magikid posted:

I think it's still there on ng+. With the Flexile.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lucatiel is never going to notice Goonter at this rate.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kibayasu posted:

Lucatiel is never going to notice Goonter at this rate.

She's going to end up with Luet instead.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Obligatum VII posted:

She's going to end up with Luet instead.

Luet is a master of cockblocking.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

huh. I knew that the shieldboy says hi and goodbye with a big ol' war cry, but I somehow never noticed that he punctuates a Lost Sinner win with that furious fist pump of joy

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Some of the NPC phantoms they added for Scholar and the DLCs are pretty fun like that. A few of them will screw with you like a player would, and it's hilarious.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

Some of the NPC phantoms they added for Scholar and the DLCs are pretty fun like that. A few of them will screw with you like a player would, and it's hilarious.

could you give an example of an npc screwing with you? The name will suffice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's an utterly fantastic invader in one of the DLCs but I'm drawing a blank on the friendlies.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This thread coming back inspired me to boot up the game and start a new playthrough.

I made 3 times as much progress in a single weekend :allears:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

There's an utterly fantastic invader in one of the DLCs but I'm drawing a blank on the friendlies.

yeah, I'm drawing a blank on friendly npcs doing weird stuff. They do fun emotes but I don't think any of them, say, drop an item upon being summoned. Which would be rad.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my favorite friendly weirdo is Ray, we've had an opportunity or two to summon him already

Veotax
May 16, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't the DLC for DS2 the first time they had NPC invaders emote when they kill you? That's a great bit of personality that I'm amazed it took them so long.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

could you give an example of an npc screwing with you? The name will suffice.

Granted I am thinking of the invaders, but a specific example that springs to mind is Holy Knight Aurheim. Maldron the Assassin is another.

Edit: I'm not sure how much of a spoiler just the names of a couple NPC phantoms is, but I'll put 'em behind a tag regardless.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 25, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Don't spoil NPCs from future games, please

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IronSaber posted:

Don't spoil [...] please

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, I didn't wanna be that guy again. But boy, is it really that hard to not spoil poo poo after it's literally the first sentence (e: okay fine, third, but it's in big bold letters between sirenfrogs) you read when entering the thread?

Not gonna lie, how horrible geop's old thread got with spoilers made me pre-emptively call people idiots for that in my old spoiler policy.

Please, don't prompt this thread to be locked every other day again.

E: Luet is a badass, though. Glad they added him here in Scholar.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Oh, drat, I still had the old thread on my control panel, waiting for it to come back. I have some videos to catch up on, now! Glad to see this back, Geop!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Yesss

Also I am sorry for tweeting you asking when the next episode is coming, you must get a lot of that poo poo.

• Locked thread