Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Suffice it to say that Straid is an all-around magical badass who's capable of making all sorts of crazy things. :allears: And as for his room, all those Undead Citizens will leave you alone if you don't attack them or get right in their faces in Scholar. (They would in fact rush you in the original game, though.)

I might have said it before, but regardless you shouldn't worry about being able to hit stat requirements unless they're stupid high (60+). DS2 will give you a lot of levels (around 200 by endgame with the DLCs, or around 150 without them) and you can always respec if need be.

I believe Kuvo's confusing the Stone Ring with something else. The Stone Ring applies +30 poise damage to each hit, which as usual won't get around shields but is amazing for builds that use less-powerful-but-faster weapons. The Heide Knights, for instance, can largely be trivialized with the Stone Ring and a two-handed rapier or spear. (Every two R1 pokes will stagger them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

What video with spoilers are they referencing in this one?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

MisterShine posted:

What video with spoilers are they referencing in this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

GEOP DO NOT WATCH

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

no worries, I remember the art/thumbnail :v:

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

GEOP DO WATCH IN 2 YEARS WHEN LP DONE

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

MisterShine posted:

GEOP DO WATCH IN 2 YEARS WHEN LP DONE

Also yes.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
Now that we've seen that guy

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is that the first cyclopotamus Geop has killed?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just checked the wiki, and there are only 8 boss souls that overlap between Straid and Ornifex. Most of them are completely separated stacks. Right now Geop has _no_ boss souls that can be used by both vendors.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Poise is basically worthless in dark souls 2 sadly geop, as in: stack poo poo tonnes of it and you can take one light hit with a longsword every 30 seconds. Theres a multiplier on 2 hand attacks so that with a dagger in 2 hands even if they're wearing havel's set you'll still stagger them.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

NGDBSS posted:

And as for his room, all those Undead Citizens will leave you alone if you don't attack them or get right in their faces in Scholar. (They would in fact rush you in the original game, though.)

They straight up won't aggro at all unless you attack. You can run in and out and through the room without any worry Geop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Artum posted:

Poise is basically worthless in dark souls 2 sadly geop, as in: stack poo poo tonnes of it and you can take one light hit with a longsword every 30 seconds. Theres a multiplier on 2 hand attacks so that with a dagger in 2 hands even if they're wearing havel's set you'll still stagger them.

Poise is really useful and functional you just have to have a fuckload of it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Artum posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Poise is really useful and functional you just have to have a fuckload of it.
To expand on this, the deal is that a few things changed in DS2 as compared to DS1, but the broad strokes are the same in that it's still a mechanic intended to mitigate hitstun. In general you will need more poise to accomplish a similar effect, but that's mitigated by the fact that poise-granting armor generally gives more of it. The primary change, however, is that in DS2 poise damage regenerates quite slowly (<1 point per second) as opposed to DS1 (fully regenerates if you haven't been hit within a few seconds). Thus it's possible to wear someone down with poise damage even over a long period of time so long as you're not completely neglecting them. (In either case, you'll regenerate all poise damage if you do eventually get staggered.) To compensate for this, however, DS2 also introduced hyperarmor/Hyper Poise wherein you'd take reduced poise damage while attacking with a heavy weapon. In addition to this specific property, if in general you're hit while attacking but don't take enough poise damage to be staggered, then you'll keep going with that animation without issue. But if you're just standing/walking/running, you'll temporarily move more slowly in an apparent "half stagger".

All this does have one notable upside for the player, that smash attacks are quite reliable with proper attention. See, a number of heavy weapons will knock an opponent down or send them flying with a 2HR2, allowing you to keep them under control so long as they're not some titan with exorbitant amounts of poise. So basically, not a boss or a miniboss. (I've taken to calling these "smash attacks" based on the Super Smash Bros. games but I'm sure that there's some internal name that's more pithy.) Of course they'll always do damage if they connect, but they won't inflict knockdown unless such a hit would stagger the opponent (reduce them to 0 or less effective poise after poise damage) - which can include the smash attack itself. The effect is that if you want to keep flattening someone like a Royal Guard but can't do so in one hit, then you can use some combination of the Stone Ring or otherwise wearing poise down over multiple hits to make up the difference.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Weren't we specifically banned from talking about poise in the old thread?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm not gonna talk about poise, I will however mention that the dragonrider twinblade is fun to use, esp. if a dex spellcaster. Also the barbed club is kinda garbage IMO.

e: I don't think I've ever used any of the halberds; any one have an opinion on those?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Weren't we specifically banned from talking about poise in the old thread?
I think that may have been durability? The OP explicitly calls it out as a banned topic of conversation.

double nine posted:

I'm not gonna talk about poise, I will however mention that the dragonrider twinblade is fun to use, esp. if a dex spellcaster. Also the barbed club is kinda garbage IMO.

e: I don't think I've ever used any of the halberds; any one have an opinion on those?
Halberds are an odd weapon class in that they have a significant sweet spot. If you can hit in that location on the weapon, you'll do a lot of damage per hit; otherwise you'll only deal about half as much. They're not something I've gotten used to, but if you can do so then you'll profit from it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh yeah, I remember now. That always threw me off because I sucked at correctly guessing the distance.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't Straid the guy who eventually turned into Skeletor?

(also, I am reasonably sure it's the a-gah-pay ring, not agape. I considered Goatseing it, but it's so tiny...)

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Artum posted:

I've made a character with poise and it does its job. DS 2 mechanics also makes it much easier to stay (almost) fully mobile while having a lot of poise than it was in the first DS. There are problems though, such as the very slow regeneration (although you fully regenerate after being staggered), but you can get enough poise to take one stagger free hit from most enemies without investing too much in it.

I think other players generally deal more poise damage than humanoid sized enemies, so poise may be less effective in PvP, but I generally don't do much PvP and I'm not sure.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

my only contribution to the poise conversation is that I basically never ever took my stone ring off ever

coulda sworn it tipped me and my clubs and hammers over the stagger threshold for a good bunch of dudes who wouldn't have flinched otherwise

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Artum posted:

Without getting into the fine details (since NGDBSS already did) this is absolutely false. Poise is quite useful in DS2, especially when you're fighting multiple enemies. Might not do much for Geop though given his more reactive play style.

Midnight Voyager posted:

(also, I am reasonably sure it's the a-gah-pay ring, not agape. I considered Goatseing it, but it's so tiny...)

I've seen a lot of people say this and...no, it's agape as in an agape maw which the ring functions as, sucking up all your souls. It's got nothing to do with love.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

scamtank posted:

my only contribution to the poise conversation is that I basically never ever took my stone ring off ever

coulda sworn it tipped me and my clubs and hammers over the stagger threshold for a good bunch of dudes who wouldn't have flinched otherwise

I remember finding the stone ring super useful as well.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Stone Ring is low key one of the best rings in the game.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The Stone Ring is also convenient in that since it's rarely good against bosses, you can just swap it with a Covetous Silver Serpent Ring before boss battles. Since it's against bosses that the CSSR is the most useful, that works out nicely.

If you're starting as a sorcerer, you can probably get it right away.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I put that thing on and never took it off. Well. Except against a certain someone at the bottom of THAT place.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Problem with the stone ring is that it's effect isn't very visible - would that enemy have flinched if I hadn't had the ring on y/n?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since Geop's seen it now in the boss weapon list I'd like to say the roaring halberd is a cool-rear end weapon with a neat skull on it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the last fire keeper - I don't think this is ever elaborated upon in the game but that woman who narrated the intro and told you to go to Drangleic looked awfully like the two crones...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Genocyber posted:

I've seen a lot of people say this and...no, it's agape as in an agape maw which the ring functions as, sucking up all your souls. It's got nothing to do with love.

Oh, so it is actually a goatse ring.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The Dragonrider Bow is pretty great and I'm glad Geop picked it up. It is my go-to bow in this game. It eats a lot of stamina per shot, but its attack power is second only to a greatbow, pretty much.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just remembered that ... with the bonfire aesthetic you can get all boss weapons for a particular boss in a single game, if you feel so inclined. That's really neat.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

double nine posted:

bonfire aesthetic
This. This right here. The single most hilarious thing that DS2 has given us.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

double nine posted:

I just remembered that ... with the bonfire a e s t h e t i c...

It's "ascetic," but now I have Vaporwave stuck in my head.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I find that using a bonfire ascetic on a bonfire improves that bonfire's aesthetics quite a bit.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I can't shake the feeling that the word they were going for had more to do with ascension than asceticism, but somewhere down the line something a flub went through the filters

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

scamtank posted:

I can't shake the feeling that the word they were going for had more to do with ascension than asceticism, but somewhere down the line something a flub went through the filters

I know I'm quoting wikipedia and all, but I feel like "ascetic" was the exact word they were wanting.

quote:

The adjective "ascetic" derives from the ancient Greek term askēsis, which means training or exercise. The original usage did not refer to self-denial, but to the physical training required for athletic events.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Straid is pretty great. He's just a very Dark Souls NPC. He sells stuff. He sells really cool stuff. He does this while taking the piss out of and insulting you. He gives you a good gesture. You get some cool setting information out of him. His voice actor does a nice job. He has an evil laugh. He scores very high on the great DS NPC checklist. He's not quite Patches, but he has a good go.

Also Flame Swathe was crazy-good in the original, dunno if they toned it down any for Scholar. I'm sure the animation is still cool as heck though.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

This. This right here. The single most hilarious thing that DS2 has given us.
My bonfire aesthetic is aqua blue and hot pink. Just full-on vaporwave.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Bonfire Ascetics are the most broken item in the game.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure the Flame Swathe pyromancy is also ridiculously broken, but that may have gotten a nerf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Every time Straid says "Very good, very good indeed!" I must "very good" as well

• Locked thread