Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Whoops, missed the no spoilers policy, sorry.

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Geop posted:

:frogsiren: No spoilers for Dark Souls II allowed! This also means NO SPOILER TAGS. If you've gotta discuss something, go to the Games thread for it! :frogsiren:

No spoilers means no spoilers, dorks. :argh:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That invasion. :vince:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Oh god, the barrel not exploding just killed me.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

flamebergét

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Okay, so here is how this invasion happened from my end:

1. I use a Cracked Red Eye Orb. I get a bite, and invade Geop. :woop: LP invasion successful!
2. I hide in that tower with the round window, leaving some "bait."
3. I see Geop coming towards me. I cackle with glee as I prepare to ambush him in an amusing way.
4. Geop doesn't enter the doorway.

5. He leaves to head towards the boss area. I wait in case he comes back.
6. The Blue Sentinel guy shows up. Well poo poo, this just went from bad to worse.
7. Geop and the Sentinel enter the boss building.
8. I think to myself "yeah, he's not coming back and I don't want to sit here forever."
9. Leaving my hiding spot, I head to where Geop is, expecting some sort of anti-climactic fight.
10. Right here, I am at the top of the stairs expecting him to find me and fight.

11. He's not noticing me.
12. Wait, is he going to open the one door that leads to a drop?
13. HE'S OPENING THE DOOR THAT LEADS TO A DROP!
14. Run up and knock Geop into the drop.
15. I emit wheezy laughing sounds.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
:golfclap:

Well done, goon sir

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

IronSaber posted:

1. I use a Cracked Red Eye Orb. I get a bite, and invade Geop. :woop: LP invasion successful!
3. I see Geop coming towards me. I cackle with glee as I prepare to ambush him in an amusing way.

6. The Blue Sentinel guy shows up. Well poo poo, this just went from bad to worse.
8. I think to myself "yeah, he's not coming back and I don't want to sit here forever."
9. Leaving my hiding spot, I head to where Geop is, expecting some sort of anti-climactic fight.
10. Right here, I am at the top of the stairs expecting him to find me and fight.

Bravo.

Poor Blue Sentinel, he thought he'd finally get a token :(

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Frionnel posted:

Oh god, the barrel not exploding just killed me.

IronSaber posted:

What an excellent update all around.

I think my favorite part, however, is the person in the comments going "what was he chameleoned as?!"
oh, if only they knew.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
How much of a back-log do you have prepared, Geop?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Noise posted:

What an excellent update all around.

I think my favorite part, however, is the person in the comments going "what was he chameleoned as?!"
oh, if only they knew.

He was chameleoned as "a place Geop didn't look."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Imagine having someone summon you as a blue sentinel for the first time in years, only to watch them open a door to nowhere and get kicked out of it by the guy you're there to protect against :allears:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I love that door. both because it is a ridiculous trap and because it's a ridiculous but efficient (if a bit hairy) shortcut.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fabled blacksmith of yore?

Muramasa?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RareAcumen posted:

Fabled blacksmith of yore?

Muramasa?

Everything in Dark Souls 2 is a weird slightly-sly reference to 1... so, it's Andre.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Everything in Dark Souls 2 is a weird slightly-sly reference to 1... so, it's Andre.

The giant?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The people of Drangleic worship a trio of gods, Randall the Savage, Hogan the Hulk, and Andre the Giant.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i battled the blue spirit 'Hogan of America' once in dark souls 3. it checks out

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

IronSaber posted:

Holy gently caress, I was laughing out loud as I read this... you didn't happen to get any footage yourself did you?

How does capture work with the PlayStation?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

treiz01 posted:

Holy gently caress, I was laughing out loud as I read this... you didn't happen to get any footage yourself did you?

Alas, I did not. I was so giddy from the whole experience that I didn't think to hit the Share button for capturing that footage.

Perhaps next time I'll remember to record it. But even then, I have no idea how to edit footage. :shrug:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

treiz01 posted:

By default the PS4 is always automatically recording all of your gameplay, and keeping the last 15 minutes available for you to retroactively perma-save and upload.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Watched this with someone who knows the game better than me. When Geop started opening the door to nowhere my buddy shouted "Don't do it dude!" Couldn't have done better if it were planned.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

IronSaber posted:

Alas, I did not. I was so giddy from the whole experience that I didn't think to hit the Share button for capturing that footage.

Perhaps next time I'll remember to record it. But even then, I have no idea how to edit footage. :shrug:

The PS4 has a video editor if you really want to go the extra mile and cut it up some, but I wouldn't mind just a 15-min chunk of the invasion from your point of view next time.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Gruckles posted:

By default the PS4 is always automatically recording all of your gameplay, and keeping the last 15 minutes available for you to retroactively perma-save and upload.

Handy! I just learned that although Shadowplay has the same feature, you have to enable it after you start each game :(

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Live footage of that corridor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4mN8NnHpcM&t=29s

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Kuvo, tell me about killing them with a bow.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
When fighting the ruin sentinels, Geop failed most, if not all, dodges. The reason for that I think, is an unintuitive consequence of the invincibility frames. Basically, they happen at the beginning of the roll which means you want to wait as long as your timing allows before rolling. Now, if someone in real life swung at you with a crowbar and you decided to dodge, you would need to start dodging as soon as possible in a desperate attempt to move your body far enough so that it gets out of the way of the crowbar. However, with Dark Souls logic, you should wait until the crowbar is say ten centimeters from your head, or whatever it's about to hit, and then start dodging so that you can phase trough it unharmed. You can see Geop trying to dodge as soon as the Ruin Sentinels wind up their attacks, which is intuitive due to real life experiences, but a bad idea in this game.

This was for me the biggest hurdle in dodging. As soon as I realized that I need to do the opposite of what seems intuitive, I became much better at dodging. I did know about the mechanics, but it was the very realization that all I know about dodging in real life will just betray me and needs to be thrown out that allowed me to consistently dodge in Dark Souls games.

Also, about the one running around naked. You may as well do so in this game. Unless you wear heavy armor (which also grants Poise) and is diligent about upgrading them, armor does almost nothing to reduce damage. You need 12 armor to reduce the physical damage types by one point against most attack (including one-handed R1 attacks from players). A damage reduction of 20-40 points when you have 2.000 life is often what you're dealing with. Also, the higher your equipment load % is, the slower you regenerate stamina and the slower your dodge rolls will be. The latter is not so noticeable as you get the same amount of invincibility frames regardless, but the differences in stamina recovery from having 30% load to almost 70% is really big.

This is opposed to the first Dark Souls where armor makes a big difference in terms of damage taken. Take of all your armor in Undead Burg and you will take much more damage than you used to do. I don't know why From felt the need to nerf armor this way considering that detaching the equipment load stat from the stamina stat already toned down armor by itself.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
About that jump in the sentinel boss room, you can actually get to that ledge via a secret door. Remember the secret on the lower level that had the ladder and the chest? Near that chest is another door that leads right to the ledge with the goodies, no jumping required.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Crystalgate posted:

When fighting the ruin sentinels, Geop failed most, if not all, dodges. The reason for that I think, is an unintuitive consequence of the invincibility frames [...]
Pretty much. You get your precious i frames as soon as you press the roll button. So the idea s to dodge late and rather into an enemy attack to get the lowest amount of connecting weapon hitbox frames.

quote:

Also, about the one running around naked. You may as well do so in this game.[...]

It is worth pointing out that, unlike physical resistances, elemental resistances count as 10% reduction every 100 points elemental armor you have. There are certain armors that give high elemental reistances and are worth upgrading, if you like to optimize (for pvp or certain pve situations).

Of course good "Soulsborne" players know that armor its was, is and will be about "Fashion Souls" all along.

Semi-naked chars with otimized poise and elemental armor you might encounter is pretty much MLG-Pro_PvP_guys.txt.
(Yes i could have phrased that nicer, but it is "souls hardcore-pvp guys")

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 29, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
"Oh Geop...."

The next video is going to be super fun, because of the best covenant in the game. Bell Bros forever :respek:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Ruin Sentinels are a fight that expects you to figure out their weaknesses and how the fight works and gently caress you if you dont.

e: Bell bros best bros

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 29, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

No joke, i have been anxiously waiting for Geop to discover Belfry Luna ever since this LP started.

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

Dynas: Tea warrior
Story time. I suck at PVP. It's the one thing that gets to me in this series how I can't just coop and not PVP. It's at the Belfry where I decided to stop worrying and love the troll. I renamed my first character to Store Greeter and spammed the Welcome emote whenever I got invaded. When someone came in for the swing, I'd roll away and emote some more. It helped with the annoyance of interrupted gameplay. Later on I joined the Bell Bros just to welcome players who were like me and didn't want a fight. It was good times.

When Geop gets further on I'll tell the tale of my other themed character.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Honestly most bosses can be made WAY easier by simply circling around them to the right, or at least trying to roll behind them on the opposite side they are swinging from. There are a couple of bosses with really dumb hitboxes that this unfortunately doesn't apply to, but otherwise any time you see a humanoid with a weapon you're pretty safe circling them, and using a shield until you learn their attacks. Re-positioning yourself in a way that forces the enemy to turn is very important in DS2 and 3 because it disrupts a lot of enemy combos. Geop already seems to have this mostly figured out with the Pursuer (his grab is still completely bullshit though)

Our recent friends the ruin sentinels are a good example of a fight that is very easy to win by baiting out certain attacks and circling behind, then continuing to circle as the enemy reorients itself, because the enemy has a very good chance of leading again with the same sort of attack that is easily exploited by more circling.

Probably will be a lot of talk about good fights, satisfying encounters, and what actually constitutes a fair challenge once Geop gets to DLC2 which has probably 2 of the best examples, and also the worst example

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 29, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Chilling in the belfry was great. When the game first came out i got loads of chunks there. Later just invading as a butterfly and watching people fight off other invaders was fun enough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ilmucche posted:

Chilling in the belfry was great. When the game first came out i got loads of chunks there. Later just invading as a butterfly and watching people fight off other invaders was fun enough.

My favorite part of the game by far. Don't u fuckin touch my bell

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm going to potentially go against the grain and say that I really don't like Belfry Luna - for its forced PvP.

I don't do PvP. Not in any game, ever; not anymore. Not for many, many years - and even in the past, it was only with friends at LAN parties.

I've always wished for an option in the Dark Souls games to just disable invasions - and jolly co-op too if they think that's fair. That's fine by me; I don't want to do that either. I just want to be left alone, really. Since there isn't, unfortunately it means that I have to ALT-F4 out of the game if I'm invaded. I do it the instant the "invaded by" message comes up; I don't want to waste my time, or anyone else's - even if I'm tempted to think they may deserve it for choosing to invade people.

In DS1 I could just stay hollowed all the time and not worry about it too much. Not always an option, though; e.g. when doing the boss run to Ornstein and Smough yet again, in human form so I could summon Solaire to help. I remember getting repeatedly invaded by the same person there. But in DS2, where it doesn't matter if you're hollow or not, bad luck; you're going to get people trying to gank you no matter what... Well, I developed a habit of alt-tabbing out to the wiki whenever I entered a new area, to check a list of names of NPC invaders for that area. If I was invaded by someone whose name was not on that list, I would ALT-F4.

So when I came to Belfry Luna for the first time, and I was invaded by what turned out to be a real person who had chosen a character name that was suspiciously similar to one of the NPC invaders in the game...

They charged me with an incredibly massive ulta-greatsword (when I hadn't even found a normal greatsword yet by that stage), swinging it in great arcs that filled the room, seeming to hit me even when I was well out of range. It took me a moment to notice... was that lag? Then I was dead, and realised that I'd been ganked. I was pretty unhappy.

I don't like Belfry Luna. It's emblematic of one of the things I dislike the most about the Souls games.

(If you're wondering why I don't just block the DS games wholesale in my firewall or something, it's because I rely on the player messages and bloodstain phantoms to smooth the rough edges of the games' sometimes intentionally bad level design. Also I like the "don't give up, skeleton!" messages.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Antistar01 posted:

I'm going to potentially go against the grain and say that I really don't like Belfry Luna - for its forced PvP.

I don't do PvP. Not in any game, ever; not anymore. Not for many, many years - and even in the past, it was only with friends at LAN parties.

I've always wished for an option in the Dark Souls games to just disable invasions - and jolly co-op too if they think that's fair. That's fine by me; I don't want to do that either. I just want to be left alone, really. Since there isn't, unfortunately it means that I have to ALT-F4 out of the game if I'm invaded. I do it the instant the "invaded by" message comes up; I don't want to waste my time, or anyone else's - even if I'm tempted to think they may deserve it for choosing to invade people.

In DS1 I could just stay hollowed all the time and not worry about it too much. Not always an option, though; e.g. when doing the boss run to Ornstein and Smough yet again, in human form so I could summon Solaire to help. I remember getting repeatedly invaded by the same person there. But in DS2, where it doesn't matter if you're hollow or not, bad luck; you're going to get people trying to gank you no matter what... Well, I developed a habit of alt-tabbing out to the wiki whenever I entered a new area, to check a list of names of NPC invaders for that area. If I was invaded by someone whose name was not on that list, I would ALT-F4.

So when I came to Belfry Luna for the first time, and I was invaded by what turned out to be a real person who had chosen a character name that was suspiciously similar to one of the NPC invaders in the game...

They charged me with an incredibly massive ulta-greatsword (when I hadn't even found a normal greatsword yet by that stage), swinging it in great arcs that filled the room, seeming to hit me even when I was well out of range. It took me a moment to notice... was that lag? Then I was dead, and realised that I'd been ganked. I was pretty unhappy.

I don't like Belfry Luna. It's emblematic of one of the things I dislike the most about the Souls games.

(If you're wondering why I don't just block the DS games wholesale in my firewall or something, it's because I rely on the player messages and bloodstain phantoms to smooth the rough edges of the games' sometimes intentionally bad level design. Also I like the "don't give up, skeleton!" messages.)

Luna, and actually the whole of DS2, is designed to give you a grace period if you get invaded once or twice, win or lose, so if you had tried again you'd probably have been golden.

• Locked thread